ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Jeff Teague!

Moderators: sully00, djFan71, ParticleMan, Froob, canman1971, The Comedian, Parliament10

User avatar
GoCeltics123
RealGM
Posts: 11,786
And1: 19,534
Joined: May 05, 2015
         

Re: Welcome to Boston, Jeff Teague! 

Post#41 » by GoCeltics123 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:30 am

Bleeding Green wrote:I'm not mad, I just don't get it. Wanamaker is absolutely better than Jeff Teague. This is not an opinion. He shoots better, fouls less, he's bigger, he's a year younger, literally better in every way. And he signed for 2 mil in GS. Jeff Teague is not a good basketball player and it's not like he has some upside that hasn't been developed yet. But hey, he's been on trash teams the last five years, maybe the scouts see something in him that I don't.

And Tristan Thompson is a pure regular season rotational big to soak up some minutes. Nothing to care about as long as they don't delude themselves into playing him in the playoffs. I mean, he got way too much money and Nerlens Noel is 1000000x better, but whatever.

Nerlens is a trainwreck as a person apparently, do not want in the locker room.

Tristan isn't great, and IMO in a normal center market he gets $11-12 mil, but he's playable in the playoffs against teams with small ball 5s.

Jeff Teague isn't that good, but I think Wanamaker wouldn't take the minimum this time and we didn't want to offer him the BAE
The greatest movie bet of all time:

"I want the Celtics to cover, I want Celtics halftime, I want Garnett points and rebounds."

I lost the bet so I Hate Truth18
Soulcatcher33
Veteran
Posts: 2,538
And1: 2,723
Joined: Dec 14, 2016
 

Re: Welcome to Boston, Jeff Teague! 

Post#42 » by Soulcatcher33 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:33 am

lol Haven't thought about Jeff Teague in forever. I doubt he has much left in the tank.
bucknersrevenge
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,953
And1: 5,755
Joined: Jul 05, 2012
Location: Southern Maryland
Contact:
         

Re: Welcome to Boston, Jeff Teague! 

Post#43 » by bucknersrevenge » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:35 am

Green89 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:I'm not mad, I just don't get it. Wanamaker is absolutely better than Jeff Teague. This is not an opinion. He shoots better, fouls less, he's bigger, he's a year younger, literally better in every way. And he signed for 2 mil in GS. Jeff Teague is not a good basketball player and it's not like he has some upside that hasn't been developed yet. But hey, he's been on trash teams the last five years, maybe the scouts see something in him that I don't.

And Tristan Thompson is a pure regular season rotational big to soak up some minutes. Nothing to care about as long as they don't delude themselves into playing him in the playoffs. I mean, he got way too much money and Nerlens Noel is 1000000x better, but whatever.


Wanamaker is absolutely not better than Teague. If Kemba needs some time off, Teague can easily step in and start for a stretch. Brad W. could not consistently do that. You're confusing a good in stretches bench guy to a solid starting caliber, playoff veteran guard. It's not even close.


I think it's pretty obvious what both of these signings were about and it's exactly what everyone was talking about at the end of the season:

Jeff Teague: 71 playoff games including 60 starts 13.5/5 apg

Tristan Thompson: 78 playoff games 65 starts 6/6 rpg

This is about the experience. About having guys who have been there before. Guys who know how to execute in close situations. I'm sorry but Wanamaker doesn't help you there.
I am the self-appointed RealGM President of the Tacko Fall fan club. We go big or we go home!! Bold moves require BOLD PREDICTIONS baby!!! Tacko WILL pass TimeLord on the depth chart by the end of next season. You heard it here first!
themoneyteam2
Analyst
Posts: 3,744
And1: 5,987
Joined: Oct 19, 2019
   

Re: Welcome to Boston, Jeff Teague! 

Post#44 » by themoneyteam2 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:36 am

Bleeding Green wrote:
And Tristan Thompson is a pure regular season rotational big to soak up some minutes. Nothing to care about as long as they don't delude themselves into playing him in the playoffs. I mean, he got way too much money and Nerlens Noel is 1000000x better, but whatever.


No way you actually believe Nerlens freaking Noel is better than Tristan Thompson right? If so, I think it's time for me to log off for the night :lol:
themoneyteam2
Analyst
Posts: 3,744
And1: 5,987
Joined: Oct 19, 2019
   

Re: Welcome to Boston, Jeff Teague! 

Post#45 » by themoneyteam2 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:38 am

Solid signing and I think will definitely help Payton Pritchard as well learning from the veteran presence of Kemba and Teague. Say what you want about Teague but there's some value in him being in the league for 10 years.
flintsky21
Rookie
Posts: 1,155
And1: 1,647
Joined: Oct 21, 2010
 

Re: Welcome to Boston, Jeff Teague! 

Post#46 » by flintsky21 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:38 am

Definitely an upgrade over Wanamaker. Was still averaging 13 and 6 last year prior to Atl trade. Can still break down defenses every once in while and create for others. Can give you 10 points every couple of games (Wanamaker gives you one every month). More comfortable and reliable than Brad as a spot starter.
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 32,792
And1: 64,667
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Location: Parody Account
 

Re: Welcome to Boston, Jeff Teague! 

Post#47 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:54 am

This for the minimum, right?
User avatar
robbie84
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,830
And1: 2,755
Joined: Dec 24, 2011
Location: Cape Cod, MA.
     

Re: Welcome to Boston, Jeff Teague! 

Post#48 » by robbie84 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:00 am

outcry wrote:He’s far better than Wan.


No, he isn't. Wannamaker's size and defensive switchability are eons better than Teague.
This isn't he Jeff Teague of ATL.

He'll be okay as a backup PG.
Marcus Smart is what Patrick Beverley wishes he was.
User avatar
GreenBloodedC
RealGM
Posts: 11,518
And1: 12,604
Joined: May 08, 2012

Re: Welcome to Boston, Jeff Teague! 

Post#49 » by GreenBloodedC » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:16 am

bucknersrevenge wrote:
Green89 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:I'm not mad, I just don't get it. Wanamaker is absolutely better than Jeff Teague. This is not an opinion. He shoots better, fouls less, he's bigger, he's a year younger, literally better in every way. And he signed for 2 mil in GS. Jeff Teague is not a good basketball player and it's not like he has some upside that hasn't been developed yet. But hey, he's been on trash teams the last five years, maybe the scouts see something in him that I don't.

And Tristan Thompson is a pure regular season rotational big to soak up some minutes. Nothing to care about as long as they don't delude themselves into playing him in the playoffs. I mean, he got way too much money and Nerlens Noel is 1000000x better, but whatever.


Wanamaker is absolutely not better than Teague. If Kemba needs some time off, Teague can easily step in and start for a stretch. Brad W. could not consistently do that. You're confusing a good in stretches bench guy to a solid starting caliber, playoff veteran guard. It's not even close.


I think it's pretty obvious what both of these signings were about and it's exactly what everyone was talking about at the end of the season:

Jeff Teague: 71 playoff games including 60 starts 13.5/5 apg

Tristan Thompson: 78 playoff games 65 starts 6/6 rpg

This is about the experience. About having guys who have been there before. Guys who know how to execute in close situations. I'm sorry but Wanamaker doesn't help you there.

Yup. And this has been one of our major problems in the playoffs this year.
Image
User avatar
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,835
And1: 9,104
Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Location: Atlantic Champs OMG OMG OMG!

Re: Welcome to Boston, Jeff Teague! 

Post#50 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:19 am

themoneyteam2 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:
And Tristan Thompson is a pure regular season rotational big to soak up some minutes. Nothing to care about as long as they don't delude themselves into playing him in the playoffs. I mean, he got way too much money and Nerlens Noel is 1000000x better, but whatever.


No way you actually believe Nerlens freaking Noel is better than Tristan Thompson right? If so, I think it's time for me to log off for the night :lol:

He's 100 pct better. Better in drop coverage, better at blitzing, better at defending the rim, better at switching to a smaller player. Doesn't take shots he can't make. By every metric he is a better player. And he's younger, from the area, and likely to be cheaper. Thompson is a C who scores less efficiently than the league average. That's insanely bad. But again, this is a regular season move, I don't really care as long as I don't have to see him in the playoffs.

these signings are to appease some person who wants vets on the team. is it Brad, is it Tatum? Either way, these signings are not for pure basketball reasons. No chance. If Jeff Teague was signed for his playoff experience, I have some bad news for you about his playoff performance.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
philing00
Junior
Posts: 499
And1: 84
Joined: Feb 10, 2010
     

Re: Welcome to Boston, Jeff Teague! 

Post#51 » by philing00 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:28 am

Is he better than Waters? Teague plays no D at his age.
User avatar
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,835
And1: 9,104
Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Location: Atlantic Champs OMG OMG OMG!

Re: Welcome to Boston, Jeff Teague! 

Post#52 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:31 am

Yeah but he makes up for it by playing no O at his age. A true two-way guard.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
User avatar
Green89
RealGM
Posts: 22,109
And1: 19,565
Joined: Apr 01, 2013

Re: Welcome to Boston, Jeff Teague! 

Post#53 » by Green89 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:33 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:This for the minimum, right?


I'm guessing so, but no one's reported any salary. He made 9 mil last year.
themoneyteam2
Analyst
Posts: 3,744
And1: 5,987
Joined: Oct 19, 2019
   

Re: Welcome to Boston, Jeff Teague! 

Post#54 » by themoneyteam2 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:39 am

I mean we signed him for free basically relax why are you even complaining or arguing about the signing lol.

He’s just coming in as the backup PG not asked to do much and he is competent enough to run the 2nd unit and fill in way better than Wanamaker could when Kemba is resting/load managing.
MambaForever
Ballboy
Posts: 14
And1: 14
Joined: Jul 16, 2020
     

Re: Welcome to Boston, Jeff Teague! 

Post#55 » by MambaForever » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:50 am

I lowkey love this move, didn’t think he’d be so cheap
DarkAzcura
General Manager
Posts: 8,294
And1: 6,371
Joined: Apr 21, 2006

Re: Welcome to Boston, Jeff Teague! 

Post#56 » by DarkAzcura » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:40 am

Cuban Pete wrote:
Waider wrote:We desperately needed another playmaker - I like this. Well done Ainge.


17.5 TO%
18.5 USG %

"well done" as in cooked.


These stats aren’t really related to one another. For example, Rondo’s career average TOV% is actually higher than his career average USG%, but he was one of the best playmakers at the PG position the last 10 years.
User avatar
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,835
And1: 9,104
Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Location: Atlantic Champs OMG OMG OMG!

Re: Welcome to Boston, Jeff Teague! 

Post#57 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:28 am

That's because Rondo has sucked for almost a decade now besides playoff games.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
User avatar
Shak_Celts
RealGM
Posts: 22,056
And1: 24,974
Joined: Feb 07, 2016
     

Re: Welcome to Boston, Jeff Teague! 

Post#58 » by Shak_Celts » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:28 am

I'm waiting to find one PG CBS hasn't found a way to get something out of. One thing he is going to do is get something out of JT! The only thing he can't do is make their size not hurt on defense. Pressey was terrible and should not have been in the league but CBS squeezed the little he had out of him. Shane Larkin hasn't seen the league since and he was solid enough to get something out of, gave us sparks a few times! Jordan Freaking Crawford!!! Waters has shown some sparks a couple times. IT4!!!!!!!! Kyrie was great before but still had career highs with us. Wanamaker wouldn't be in the league without CBS. Kemba of course was very good but I think he also got a couple career milestones with us. Half those guys shouldn't be near the NBA but CBS got outta them what other teams/coaches can't. I'm probably forgetting someone but one thing CBS can do is use a PG to his prime abilities. If anyone is going to succeed with us it will be teague (if healthy)!

Edit: how could I forget EVAN GOT DANG TURNER!! Not a true PG but come on now, CBS made about as much use of him as you can get out the guy. Made him look so good he swindled millions out of Por!!!
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 32,792
And1: 64,667
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Location: Parody Account
 

Re: Welcome to Boston, Jeff Teague! 

Post#59 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:03 am

Read on Twitter
User avatar
celticfan42487
RealGM
Posts: 21,529
And1: 7,689
Joined: Jul 22, 2005
Location: Billerica, MA
       

Re: Welcome to Boston, Jeff Teague! 

Post#60 » by celticfan42487 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:14 am

Bleeding Green wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:
And Tristan Thompson is a pure regular season rotational big to soak up some minutes. Nothing to care about as long as they don't delude themselves into playing him in the playoffs. I mean, he got way too much money and Nerlens Noel is 1000000x better, but whatever.


No way you actually believe Nerlens freaking Noel is better than Tristan Thompson right? If so, I think it's time for me to log off for the night :lol:

He's 100 pct better. Better in drop coverage, better at blitzing, better at defending the rim, better at switching to a smaller player. Doesn't take shots he can't make. By every metric he is a better player. And he's younger, from the area, and likely to be cheaper. Thompson is a C who scores less efficiently than the league average. That's insanely bad. But again, this is a regular season move, I don't really care as long as I don't have to see him in the playoffs.

these signings are to appease some person who wants vets on the team. is it Brad, is it Tatum? Either way, these signings are not for pure basketball reasons. No chance. If Jeff Teague was signed for his playoff experience, I have some bad news for you about his playoff performance.


yeah it makes sense that's what they were targeted.

I also would have preferred Noel at half the price to see if we can get some value from the signing.

Teague is great for this team but also... I'd rather even if it means losing at least try to develop Pritchard and Edwards.

There's just little point in this team signing win now vets. We need to generate assets through player development because the gravy train of picks has ended... we need to have our picks hit homeruns and in order to do that they need to play.

That said, I get the idea of needing at least a couple of vets in the locker room that may be able to help with chemistry and aren't looking to add anything to their game. They've finished products or perhaps regressing products.
Image

Return to Boston Celtics