ImageImageImage

FIX the Celtics thread.

Moderators: sully00, djFan71, ParticleMan, Froob, canman1971, The Comedian, Parliament10

playa-hater
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,303
And1: 1,210
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

FIX the Celtics thread. 

Post#1 » by playa-hater » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:40 am

Never made a thread on here. but here goes..

Even the most loyal blind OPTIMIST can see that there are problems.

Ainge for not being able to draft since Tatum is by far #1.

Stevens being too soft and allowing his "star" players like Tatum now and Smart for years to do "hero ball" shots.

I think we can all agree, that despite playing only 3 games this far, there are some major, major obstacles Boston needs to over come to take this thing up another level.

And since Ainge and Stevens are NOT GOING anywhere this year, that suggestion should be ruled out for improving this team.

So my questions are,

Do we patiently wait for Kemba and Romeo to return?

Until Kemba returns, who would you start??

Do we use the TPE BEFORE the Allstar break? And If Yes for who??

Do we start or bring in PP much earlier since he may/can help at least with the offense?

Ay what point do we/Boston need to eliminate known/proven BAD players (Semi) and try Unknown but highly invested players (Nesmith), cause this is clearly not going to sustain success?

Does Stevens/Ainge need to get/add a tougher assistant?

I am NOT BRINGING UP HARDEN since we have like 150 pages dedicated on that one.

Any other reasonable trade options I am not remembering?

ANY OTHER OPINIONS, please share.
playa-hater
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,303
And1: 1,210
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: FIX the Celtics thread. 

Post#2 » by playa-hater » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:46 am

OH and by the way, we are one Tatum bank shot from being 0-3..
User avatar
celticfan42487
RealGM
Posts: 22,203
And1: 8,471
Joined: Jul 22, 2005
Location: Billerica, MA
       

Re: FIX the Celtics thread. 

Post#3 » by celticfan42487 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:54 am

The only option that matters is trading for a top 10 player like Harden.

Otherwise you just ride this out and hope that Nesmith is a secret superstar or Romeo is a secret superstar. That's about it.

Pritchard is looking like he'll reach the level of decent backup PG.
Image
Infinite Llamas
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,144
And1: 13,233
Joined: Jul 22, 2006
Location: Land of Llamas
   

Re: FIX the Celtics thread. 

Post#4 » by Infinite Llamas » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:55 am

Does a team of:
Kyrie
Rozier
Hayward
Morris
Horford

...have a better record than this current Celtics team? Because those are five players we’ve dumped in two years and outside of the Kemba S/T what the hell did we get for this talent?
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
playa-hater
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,303
And1: 1,210
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: FIX the Celtics thread. 

Post#5 » by playa-hater » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:06 am

Infinite Llamas wrote:Does a team of:
Kyrie
Rozier
Hayward
Morris
Horford

...have a better record than this current Celtics team? Because those are five players we’ve dumped in two years and outside of the Kemba S/T what the hell did we get for this talent?


That would be both interesting and Funny if it wasn't so sad..
KL78192020
Head Coach
Posts: 7,276
And1: 5,891
Joined: Apr 19, 2009

Re: FIX the Celtics thread. 

Post#6 » by KL78192020 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:19 am

Its tough when your highest paid started is injured, and you lost another key guy in Hayward. Lots of teams are struggling, how did the Bucks lose to the Knicks? I mean the Pacers are at least a good team.
playa-hater
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,303
And1: 1,210
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: FIX the Celtics thread. 

Post#7 » by playa-hater » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:23 am

KL78192020 wrote:Its tough when your highest paid started is injured, and you lost another key guy in Hayward. Lots of teams are struggling, how did the Bucks lose to the Knicks? I mean the Pacers are at least a good team.


all of this may be true, but the symptoms remain the same. We have problems have had these same problems for a while.

Are you saying just stay the course and wait for Kemba??
User avatar
Celts17Pride
RealGM
Posts: 46,312
And1: 33,710
Joined: Nov 27, 2005

Re: FIX the Celtics thread. 

Post#8 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:26 am

Time. Celtics just need time. Let’s see what they are at the trade deadline
User avatar
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 21,536
And1: 10,255
Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Location: Atlantic Champs OMG OMG OMG!

Re: FIX the Celtics thread. 

Post#9 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:32 am

idk nothing?

They're one bankshot from being 2-1. Who cares. You've never seen a team lose two out of three games?

Love all the takes to fire Ainge and Stevens lmao.

Maybe stop letting the other team shoot 51% from the field would be a start. If that continues for ten games, call me.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,185
And1: 13,343
Joined: Feb 23, 2003
Location: Celtic Nation
   

Re: FIX the Celtics thread. 

Post#10 » by SuperDeluxe » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:35 am

playa-hater wrote:OH and by the way, we are one Tatum bank shot from being 0-3..

We are also a Sabonis basket not going in from being 2-1. Kinda funny, no?
playa-hater
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,303
And1: 1,210
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: FIX the Celtics thread. 

Post#11 » by playa-hater » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:50 am

I don't think you guys understanding my points ..whether we are 3 and 0 , 2 and 1, 1 and 2 or 0 and 3 there will massive symptoms of the same poor play that will for ever get us in trouble when it truly matters if you guys don't see this I don't know what else to say..
User avatar
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 21,536
And1: 10,255
Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Location: Atlantic Champs OMG OMG OMG!

Re: FIX the Celtics thread. 

Post#12 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:52 am

I'm definitely not understanding that one.

Well, until you edited it.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
playa-hater
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,303
And1: 1,210
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: FIX the Celtics thread. 

Post#13 » by playa-hater » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:55 am

SuperDeluxe wrote:
playa-hater wrote:OH and by the way, we are one Tatum bank shot from being 0-3..

We are also a Sabonis basket not going in from being 2-1. Kinda funny, no?
Well one was a good shot and the other was lucky but that's not my point again
User avatar
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 21,536
And1: 10,255
Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Location: Atlantic Champs OMG OMG OMG!

Re: FIX the Celtics thread. 

Post#14 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:12 am

This team just was in the ECF and brought back the same team that played in the playoffs minus Wanamaker. If Kemba is cooked, that's really bad, but otherwise what is the issue? They lost Wanamaker, added Teague, Thompson, Pritchard. Maybe they have a rotational player in Nesmith, who knows. Presumably Williams/Williams/Langford give you more than they did last year. Certainly both Williamses look better, Rob looked awesome today and had the game-winning assist that Tatum bricked. Give me normal progressions from Tatum, Brown, Smart that you'd expect of players aged 22/24/26. Looks like a really good team to me. Or maybe everyone just sucks ass and that happens sometimes too.

Everyone healthy: Tatum/Smart/Brown/Walker/Thompson/Theis/Williams/Williams/Langford/Pritchard/Nesmith/Teague. Looks really good to me; if a top-8/9 doesn't emerge out of that by season's end, then a lot has gone wrong. You have your top 4 guys, some good bigs that can be patched together to make an awesome trio, a young PG with Lillard-range, Grant who maybe develops a jumper, Langford who can hopefully get healthy. Some people are high on Nesmith for some reason so that's good too. Edwards/Semi/Green/Waters/Fall are your typical back-end fodder that make zero dollars. Maybe you even get some good regular season minutes out of one or two of them. I think Ojeleye sucks out loud, but it's not a big deal if he plays a few minutes more than Green or Nesmith right now. I can't imagine Nesmith v Ojeleye is going to make one bit of difference when the games matter.

They have the TPE which can be used to acquire someone that inevitably becomes available. No reason to force it. Kind of just normal regular season stuff when you know you are a top-4 seed given normal injury luck. See how the season plays out, do your best to keep everyone healthy, see which young player(s) improve, there will be buyout guys available.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
playa-hater
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,303
And1: 1,210
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: FIX the Celtics thread. 

Post#15 » by playa-hater » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:50 am

Bleeding Green wrote:This team just was in the ECF and brought back the same team that played in the playoffs minus Wanamaker. If Kemba is cooked, that's really bad, but otherwise what is the issue? They lost Wanamaker, added Teague, Thompson, Pritchard. Maybe they have a rotational player in Nesmith, who knows. Presumably Williams/Williams/Langford give you more than they did last year. Certainly both Williamses look better, Rob looked awesome today and had the game-winning assist that Tatum bricked. Give me normal progressions from Tatum, Brown, Smart that you'd expect of players aged 22/24/26. Looks like a really good team to me. Or maybe everyone just sucks ass and that happens sometimes too.

Everyone healthy: Tatum/Smart/Brown/Walker/Thompson/Theis/Williams/Williams/Langford/Pritchard/Nesmith/Teague. Looks really good to me; if a top-8/9 doesn't emerge out of that by season's end, then a lot has gone wrong. You have your top 4 guys, some good bigs that can be patched together to make an awesome trio, a young PG with Lillard-range, Grant who maybe develops a jumper, Langford who can hopefully get healthy. Some people are high on Nesmith for some reason so that's good too. Edwards/Semi/Green/Waters/Fall are your typical back-end fodder that make zero dollars. Maybe you even get some good regular season minutes out of one or two of them. I think Ojeleye sucks out loud, but it's not a big deal if he plays a few minutes more than Green or Nesmith right now. I can't imagine Nesmith v Ojeleye is going to make one bit of difference when the games matter.

They have the TPE which can be used to acquire someone that inevitably becomes available. No reason to force it. Kind of just normal regular season stuff when you know you are a top-4 seed given normal injury luck. See how the season plays out, do your best to keep everyone healthy, see which young player(s) improve, there will be buyout guys available.


I will answer this better tomorrow afternoon, but I disagree with quite a bit.
dlamb8888888
Sophomore
Posts: 141
And1: 106
Joined: Feb 26, 2014

Re: FIX the Celtics thread. 

Post#16 » by dlamb8888888 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:58 am

How about Stevens stops playing Grant Williams 20 mpg? The guy is absolutely awful!!!! That would solve a lot of their problems right there. He is terrible.
Jacobkowal
Freshman
Posts: 79
And1: 90
Joined: Jan 04, 2016
   

Re: FIX the Celtics thread. 

Post#17 » by Jacobkowal » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:14 am

Bleeding Green wrote:This team just was in the ECF and brought back the same team that played in the playoffs minus Wanamaker. If Kemba is cooked, that's really bad, but otherwise what is the issue? They lost Wanamaker, added Teague, Thompson, Pritchard. Maybe they have a rotational player in Nesmith, who knows. Presumably Williams/Williams/Langford give you more than they did last year. Certainly both Williamses look better, Rob looked awesome today and had the game-winning assist that Tatum bricked. Give me normal progressions from Tatum, Brown, Smart that you'd expect of players aged 22/24/26. Looks like a really good team to me. Or maybe everyone just sucks ass and that happens sometimes too.

Everyone healthy: Tatum/Smart/Brown/Walker/Thompson/Theis/Williams/Williams/Langford/Pritchard/Nesmith/Teague. Looks really good to me; if a top-8/9 doesn't emerge out of that by season's end, then a lot has gone wrong. You have your top 4 guys, some good bigs that can be patched together to make an awesome trio, a young PG with Lillard-range, Grant who maybe develops a jumper, Langford who can hopefully get healthy. Some people are high on Nesmith for some reason so that's good too. Edwards/Semi/Green/Waters/Fall are your typical back-end fodder that make zero dollars. Maybe you even get some good regular season minutes out of one or two of them. I think Ojeleye sucks out loud, but it's not a big deal if he plays a few minutes more than Green or Nesmith right now. I can't imagine Nesmith v Ojeleye is going to make one bit of difference when the games matter.

They have the TPE which can be used to acquire someone that inevitably becomes available. No reason to force it. Kind of just normal regular season stuff when you know you are a top-4 seed given normal injury luck. See how the season plays out, do your best to keep everyone healthy, see which young player(s) improve, there will be buyout guys available.


This sums it up perfectly. Let's all relax. We're still a good team. We are just young and this is Tatum's first time being the star at the beginning of the season. We will be ready come playoff time.
LuckyLeprechaun
Pro Prospect
Posts: 858
And1: 1,025
Joined: Jul 24, 2015
 

Re: FIX the Celtics thread. 

Post#18 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:02 am

We just don't have enough veterans on the team. Plain and simple. Other than Teague our entire bench today was guys on their rookie contracts and our 4 DNPs were Edwards, Waters, Green and Nesmith. That's 9 of the 14 players active on rookie contracts. You don't win basketball games with 2/3 of your team being that inexperienced.
User avatar
ParticleMan
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 14,148
And1: 6,522
Joined: Sep 16, 2004
     

Re: FIX the Celtics thread. 

Post#19 » by ParticleMan » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:41 am

playa-hater wrote:
SuperDeluxe wrote:
playa-hater wrote:OH and by the way, we are one Tatum bank shot from being 0-3..

We are also a Sabonis basket not going in from being 2-1. Kinda funny, no?
Well one was a good shot and the other was lucky but that's not my point again


it wasn't a good shot, it was a brutal defensive lapse by us. that's lucky for them.

your point is that we're not a great team right now. and you're right. but we're also in game 3 of 72, having played 3 of the better teams in the conference, and other than 1.5 quarters we've been right there in every one.

brad is playing young guys like Gwill, Rwill, and Pritchard, eventually Nesmith, to see what they got. everyone kills brad for not playing kids, but that will cost us some wins... like last night. i'll reserve judgement on ainge's picks until we can see Rwill healthy for a long stretch, and see where pritchard and nesmith end up. all these other guys are late 1sts and 2nd rounders, if they contribute anything at all it's a win. meanwhile the jay's seem like pretty damn good picks to me, no?

how to improve? kemba is the key. he has to come back healthy. kind of sucks when you are missing an allstar 20ppg scorer and best iso creator. it'd be a whole different story with a healthy kemba. i am worried but i'll take ainge at face value and say kemba just needs rest and rehab. other than that, or getting harden (w/o giving up the jays), i'd rather just let the process unfold. we've got a 4-year window with the jays. we're just getting started.

the important thing is that we're healthy and rolling into the playoffs. historically brad's teams have always started slow. this is usually because he's trying to adjust a young, changing roster. we'll start to see who we really are after about 25 or 30 games.
User avatar
jmr07019
Head Coach
Posts: 6,560
And1: 5,159
Joined: Oct 29, 2009
       

Re: FIX the Celtics thread. 

Post#20 » by jmr07019 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:10 am

Tatum not being a true top 5 and maybe not a true top 10 guy is the biggest problem. Last night he was cooking in the second quarter to the tune of 14 points and 4 assists. The rest of the game? 11 points and 1 assist. He needs to be more consistent throughout the game. Yes I realize this is a ridiculously high bar to set for a 22 year old. I do think he will continue to improve with time.
Show Love Spread Love

Return to Boston Celtics