ImageImageImage

Hard to Believe Ainge will Make any Move Soon Trade Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,423

Re: Harden to Believe Ainge will Make any Move Soon Trade Thread 

Post#681 » by Captain_Caveman » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:36 am

Darth Celtic wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
SMTBSI wrote:Rockets basically got Oladipo and 8 1sts.

Now that we've seen the price, would anyone have been willing to pay it? I sure wouldn't have. If it pays off for Brooklyn, I'll tip my cap.

Now we can get back to our own business and building this thing the way we want to.

4 of them are swaps, so no, it's definitely not 8 1sts. It's 4 picks, with the possibility to improve draft position on 4 other picks. But how many of those swaps will even convey, if any? Should any swaps convey, how many will improve Houston's draft position by more than a handful of spots, or put them in the top 10? Houston will be fortunate to get just one of the swaps, and lucky as hell to get two, or any significant improvement on any of their picks in any of those years.

Of the 4 actual picks, 2 of them are Nets and Bucks 1sts in 2022. Not likely good. As to the other two, you are betting against Kevin Durant, another MVP-caliber guy, an All-Star, and a franchise willing to absorb lux tax pain.

At the end of the day, Harden got traded for a handful of maybes. That is a bitter pill.

how many playoff flops before they decide to cut salary? 1/ 2? 3?

every team is willing to pay way over the tax to contend, until they aren't. For them to stay way in the repeater tax, they have to win multiple championships which i'm not seeing.

I don't see that at all. For instance, they can pay Harden a lot more than anyone else can. If he chooses to move on, they can do a sign-and-trade and retain that ability to stay over the cap.

I'm a guy who was allllllll in on the KG/Pierce to the Nets trade, largely because they were older and the imminent demise of that Nets team was far more predictable, as was their inability to stay deep in the tax.

KD and Harden are only 32yo. Kyrie is still only 28. This is not in any way equivalent to our version of the Nets trade, IMO.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,534

Post#682 » by playa-hater » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:46 am

Dang..big trade..I am out.. Not looking forward to reading the last 20 pages but I feel the need to lol
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#683 » by 24istheLAW » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:50 am

sportfan6197 wrote:
24istheLAW wrote:This is wild. If/when it blows up in Brooklyn's face, Houston got up to 8 first round picks back. EIGHT.

I just don't understand. Who was Brooklyn bidding against? How did the price get that high?

Think of how dumb your post is

Every sentence is wrong

lol. Pairing the 3 softest, most immature people in the NBA, what could possibly go wrong? You're welcome to do the signature quote thing so everyone can laugh at me in the Nets forum too. Those picks are going to look good for Houston when Harden and KD are in their feelings and Kyrie is retired hiking Kilimanjaro.
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#684 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:52 am

batabatuta wrote:
KGboss wrote:
batabatuta wrote:This is starting to look like Lebron kicking our ass for the next 3-5 years all over again. I'd still say this was a missed opportunity but I'm no expert so yeah.
That's an overreaction 5 minutes in

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I was hoping we'd win a championship in the next 3-5 years. But let's be real and I would love to be wrong, if the Nets experiment work, they'd be shutting our hopes of ever coming out of the East just because Durant is there. In my head, I was like Harden can go to any team but the Nets.

At the very least though, we are going to witness some legendary playoff matches probably coz' the Jays won't let them get off easily.

Until Tatum get frustrated and forces a trade to la
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,245

Post#685 » by itrsteve » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:54 am

sportfan6197 wrote:
24istheLAW wrote:This is wild. If/when it blows up in Brooklyn's face, Houston got up to 8 first round picks back. EIGHT.

I just don't understand. Who was Brooklyn bidding against? How did the price get that high?

Think of how dumb your post is

Every sentence is wrong

Are you betting on 8 seasons of prosperity? I’m confused.

Unrelated note: Now that we know that Houston is pick stacking, might be time to float him one or two and some salary matching to get Wood off his hands.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,927

Post#686 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:54 am

My guess is Harden and Irving will be arguing within the next 12-15 games. Then again, Irving might not even show up the next 15 games
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,523

Post#687 » by snowman » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:09 am

So do the Rockets tank now? is the anyone we think can help us we can snag with one of our TPE's ?
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#688 » by 3D Chess » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:10 am

snowman wrote:So do the Rockets tank now? is the anyone we think can help us we can snag with one of our TPE's ?

No way Tilman tanks. He wants (needs) all the merch, concession and playoff money he can get.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,101

Post#689 » by Shak_Celts » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:14 am

Houston didn't do moves to suck. Even Danny TRIED to suck (lol it backfired at the time). They may not be good but they could slide into the playoffs and that wouldn't be good for the organization. We lucked out on one or 2 early nets picks but everyone had to know we'd cash in on 2 as far as where they'd land in the lottery. Houston has to hope for implosion, we hoped on age something that's never defeated, no matter what LBJ is doing.
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#690 » by GoCeltics123 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:18 am

Oladipo for the TPE????
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,423

Post#691 » by Captain_Caveman » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:20 am

JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#692 » by JediMasterRevan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:20 am

I like Houstons team now.

Wall
Dipo
Gordon
Woods
Allen
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#693 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:30 am

KD signs with warriors ; “there’s only 1 ball to go around it won’t work”
Kawhi to raptors ; “ they are playoff underachievers he hasn’t played for a year and he wants out of SA?!?!? Red flaaaaaags”
AD traded to lakers “he’s oft injured never won a thing empty stats guy”
Nets form a super team “but their bench and back up bigs suck”

Guys the only thing stopping them from walking into the finals is massive toxicity. Which there is a real chance of but if that’s not there they are gonna run through teams- weak defense or not.

Those picks swaps may not even happen so essentially there’s a chance of it being 3 dog **** picks. Talk yourself into timelines and all this other stuff all you want but the nets just landed harden and got not 1 centerpiece back and that’s ridiculous

The reality is on paper u see 4 picks and 4 swaps but after looking into them there’s really good chances that those picks suck. Houston got dog **** and can’t help but think if kemba was healthy if we could have somehow flipped him and got involved and kept brown.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#694 » by JediMasterRevan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:35 am

MagicBagley18 wrote:KD signs with warriors ; “there’s only 1 ball to go around it won’t work”
Kawhi to raptors ; “ they are playoff underachievers he hasn’t played for a year and he wants out of SA?!?!? Red flaaaaaags”
AD traded to lakers “he’s oft injured never won a thing empty stats guy”
Nets form a super team “but their bench and back up bigs suck”

Guys the only thing stopping them from walking into the finals is massive toxicity. Which there is a real chance of but if that’s not there they are gonna run through teams- weak defense or not.

Those picks swaps may not even happen so essentially there’s a chance of it being 3 dog **** picks. Talk yourself into timelines and all this other stuff all you want but the nets just landed harden and got not 1 centerpiece back and that’s ridiculous

The reality is on paper u see 4 picks and 4 swaps but after looking into them there’s really good chances that those picks suck. Houston got dog ****

Hardens value was really low. And I can see Houston not wanting to deal with Philly.

Glad he went to Brooklyn honestly. I am confident in our young studs being better for longer than their old guys.

I did not want Harden here.
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#695 » by SMTBSI » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:37 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
SMTBSI wrote:Rockets basically got Oladipo and 8 1sts.

Now that we've seen the price, would anyone have been willing to pay it? I sure wouldn't have. If it pays off for Brooklyn, I'll tip my cap.

Now we can get back to our own business and building this thing the way we want to.

4 of them are swaps, so no, it's definitely not 8 1sts. It's 4 picks, with the possibility to improve draft position on 4 other picks. But how many of those swaps will even convey, if any? Should any swaps convey, how many will improve Houston's draft position by more than a handful of spots, or put them in the top 10? Houston will be fortunate to get just one of the swaps, and lucky as hell to get two, or any significant improvement on any of their picks in any of those years.

Of the 4 actual picks, 2 of them are Nets and Bucks 1sts in 2022. Not likely good. As to the other two, you are betting against Kevin Durant, another MVP-caliber guy, an All-Star, and a franchise willing to absorb lux tax pain.

At the end of the day, Harden got traded for a handful of maybes. That is a bitter pill.

We've seen how these things can go. There's no guarantee any of those picks are good, but they go out so far in the future.

Either way, it's far more than I would have been willing to pay.

I'm under no misconceptions about the Nets now. Their personalities may clash, or they may win chips. If they do, I'll congratulate them. Any year that we don't win, I pretty much don't care who does, aside from the Lakers. I personally have no ill will towards their franchise.

And, I don't think we could have beaten that deal and still had a strong future of contention to look forward to. So I'm A-Okay with it all.

Do wish we could have gotten in as a participating team somehow, though
MrGreenRunsDeep
Sixth Man
And1: 1,737

Post#696 » by MrGreenRunsDeep » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:38 am

Ainge needs to step up his game in east now... we can’t waste talented players in Boston!
Just a Fan From Toronto Canada who Loves the Boston Celtics & Toronto Raptors!
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#697 » by Feed Your Head » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:39 am

I need to avoid that Ainge thread on the GB, it would spell the end of my mod days.

It’s just lazy, and makes the wrong arguments.
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,656

Post#698 » by grindtime22 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:41 am

I don't think its as good or as bad as people are making it out to be. 8 first round picks is a gross misrepresentation of the deal. With that said, If Oladipo hits and resigns, then it could be a decent deal with long term upside in 2024 and beyond. Nobody knows what the hell is going to happen in the NBA beyond a couple of years. The current roster has no youth, you have some crazy personalities, and they are going to be mid 30s for the 2nd half of that haul.

I probably would have taken the Philly route though. Simmons, Thybulle, and draft compensation sounds more appetizing. I would have taken Simmons and just started getting shooting everywhere. I don't give a crap about John Wall. He can run the 2nd unit.
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,412

Post#699 » by reload141 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:41 am

The Comedian wrote:I need to avoid that Ainge thread on the GB, it would spell the end of my mod days.

It’s just lazy, and makes the wrong arguments.

But he's notorious for starting those threads... at what point can people actually report him for purposely doing bad threads?
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,873

Post#700 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:42 am

Stay the course. The Nets haven't won anything yet, and they have to replace most of their role players.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit

Return to Boston Celtics