ImageImageImage

Hard to Believe Ainge will Make any Move Soon Trade Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Re: Harden to Believe Ainge will Make any Move Soon Trade Thread 

Post#701 » by Feed Your Head » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:43 am

reload141 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:I need to avoid that Ainge thread on the GB, it would spell the end of my mod days.

It’s just lazy, and makes the wrong arguments.

But he's notorious for starting those threads... at what point can people actually report him for purposely doing bad threads?

I’m sure multiple posters have.

It’s pretty tired.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#702 » by Gomes3PC » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:48 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
4 of them are swaps, so no, it's definitely not 8 1sts. It's 4 picks, with the possibility to improve draft position on 4 other picks. But how many of those swaps will even convey, if any? Should any swaps convey, how many will improve Houston's draft position by more than a handful of spots, or put them in the top 10? Houston will be fortunate to get just one of the swaps, and lucky as hell to get two, or any significant improvement on any of their picks in any of those years.

Of the 4 actual picks, 2 of them are Nets and Bucks 1sts in 2022. Not likely good. As to the other two, you are betting against Kevin Durant, another MVP-caliber guy, an All-Star, and a franchise willing to absorb lux tax pain.

At the end of the day, Harden got traded for a handful of maybes. That is a bitter pill.

how many playoff flops before they decide to cut salary? 1/ 2? 3?

every team is willing to pay way over the tax to contend, until they aren't. For them to stay way in the repeater tax, they have to win multiple championships which i'm not seeing.

I don't see that at all. For instance, they can pay Harden a lot more than anyone else can. If he chooses to move on, they can do a sign-and-trade and retain that ability to stay over the cap.

I'm a guy who was allllllll in on the KG/Pierce to the Nets trade, largely because they were older and the imminent demise of that Nets team was far more predictable, as was their inability to stay deep in the tax.

KD and Harden are only 32yo. Kyrie is still only 28. This is not in any way equivalent to our version of the Nets trade, IMO.

Yeah these are totally different deals. PP and KG were what, 35/36 years old, right? And it was clear KG had lost a step post-injury and especially in that final year before the deal. Pierce still had some in the tank but he wasn't far off from a decline either.

Unless you believe Harden's fat suit has ruined his game, he's far from done at 31 years old. Durant looks as good as you could imagine post-Achilles. Kyrie is...Kyrie. He is the wild card, but honestly even if he spins off the planet or gets hurt (either is equally likely), KD and Harden are as good a 1-2 punch as any in the NBA.

The picks are the picks. They're good assets and a smart GM will use them effectively to rebuild, but they'll be lucky if 2 of those turn into top 10 picks.

If you told me we could get Harden for Kemba, 4 1sts and 4 pick swaps, I would have done it before hanging up the phone.
Zeroforwinger
Junior
And1: 414

Post#703 » by Zeroforwinger » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:50 am

I don’t see how Harden and Kyrie coexist. That’s a terrible defensive backcourt
Gomes3PC
General Manager

Post#704 » by Gomes3PC » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:51 am

Kyrie is a defensive issue, but Harden is honestly not much of a liability in the postseason. He's a pretty sturdy defender in the post and no dummy. He loafs / coasts but presumably with less offensive workload he can at least put a little more effort in there.

KD is a monster defensively when locked in, so if they can fill the other two spots around their big 3 with good defenders, they won't get exposed too badly.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#705 » by JediMasterRevan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:54 am

I wish houston decides to not compete amd makes dipo and wood available.lol.

Doubt it

But i wish
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#706 » by Feed Your Head » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:54 am

Zeroforwinger wrote:I don’t see how Harden and Kyrie coexist. That’s a terrible defensive backcourt

Harden is a pretty damn good defender when he wants to be. I’m guessing with much less of a burden offensively, he will be an average defender, at worst.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#707 » by GoCeltics123 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:58 am

The Comedian wrote:
Zeroforwinger wrote:I don’t see how Harden and Kyrie coexist. That’s a terrible defensive backcourt

Harden is a pretty damn good defender when he wants to be. I’m guessing with much less of a burden offensively, he will be an average defender, at worst.

Issue is neither play off-ball well so they gotta learn to do that.
Gomes3PC
General Manager

Post#708 » by Gomes3PC » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:59 am

JediMasterRevan wrote:I wish houston decides to not compete amd makes dipo and wood available.lol.

Doubt it

But i wish

Oh they could be. I am pretty sure the fact that Tillman shaved $10M of salary off the books was a key determinant in taking this deal vs. the Sixers deal. The guy is in dire straits financially and every move he has made in the last 12 months has been to shed salary.

You know what saves a lot of money? Trading a player away for a trade exception.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#709 » by jmr07019 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:02 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:Image

Gold
Show Love Spread Love
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#710 » by jmr07019 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:04 am

Durant has an opt the same year Kemba has an opt out and Smarts contract expires? Hmmmm.
Show Love Spread Love
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#711 » by Celtics_Champs » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:06 am

Scalabrine:

"One guy I would keep my eye on is Victor Oladipo, who just got shipped off to Houston," Scalabrine said Wednesday. "I think Houston wants to suck this year. I think they want to have a top-three pick, which is protected, and their pick is going to Oklahoma City if it falls outside of that.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#712 » by Darth Celtic » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:09 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
4 of them are swaps, so no, it's definitely not 8 1sts. It's 4 picks, with the possibility to improve draft position on 4 other picks. But how many of those swaps will even convey, if any? Should any swaps convey, how many will improve Houston's draft position by more than a handful of spots, or put them in the top 10? Houston will be fortunate to get just one of the swaps, and lucky as hell to get two, or any significant improvement on any of their picks in any of those years.

Of the 4 actual picks, 2 of them are Nets and Bucks 1sts in 2022. Not likely good. As to the other two, you are betting against Kevin Durant, another MVP-caliber guy, an All-Star, and a franchise willing to absorb lux tax pain.

At the end of the day, Harden got traded for a handful of maybes. That is a bitter pill.

how many playoff flops before they decide to cut salary? 1/ 2? 3?

every team is willing to pay way over the tax to contend, until they aren't. For them to stay way in the repeater tax, they have to win multiple championships which i'm not seeing.

I don't see that at all. For instance, they can pay Harden a lot more than anyone else can. If he chooses to move on, they can do a sign-and-trade and retain that ability to stay over the cap.

I'm a guy who was allllllll in on the KG/Pierce to the Nets trade, largely because they were older and the imminent demise of that Nets team was far more predictable, as was their inability to stay deep in the tax.

KD and Harden are only 32yo. Kyrie is still only 28. This is not in any way equivalent to our version of the Nets trade, IMO.

Tell me with a straight face that Kyrie/Harden/Harris/KD/DAJ isn't going to be the worst defensive team to make the playoffs.

Maybe this trade gets them a championship in the next 3 years, but it's unlikely still. It was unlikely wihtout the trade.

When we traded for our big 3 only Ray was the defensive savant and we had Rondo/Perk both all about the defense and KG a top 3 defender in the NBA all time.

I was ok with the older people in the big 3 trade as I knew we were likely to win 2-3 championships, and we would have without KG knee.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Gomes3PC
General Manager

Post#713 » by Gomes3PC » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:09 am

Would we have S&T rights for Oladipo if we acquired him via trade? He'd almost certainly be a rental, as he wants a LT deal and I have no clue how we'd achieve that with Jaylen/Jayson/Kemba already on the books.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man

Post#714 » by JediMasterRevan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:09 am

Celtics_Champs wrote:Scalabrine:

"One guy I would keep my eye on is Victor Oladipo, who just got shipped off to Houston," Scalabrine said Wednesday. "I think Houston wants to suck this year. I think they want to have a top-three pick, which is protected, and their pick is going to Oklahoma City if it falls outside of that.

Dipo would be nice
Moves smart back to bench amd is a bigtime kemba insurance.

Kemba/pp/teague
Dipo/smart/green
Brown/nesmith/romeo
Tatum/grant/semi
Timelord/theis/Thompson

I can get behind that.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man

Post#715 » by JediMasterRevan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:10 am

Gomes3PC wrote:Would we have S&T rights for Oladipo if we acquired him via trade? He'd almost certainly be a rental, as he wants a LT deal and I have no clue how we'd achieve that with Jaylen/Jayson/Kemba already on the books.

They offered hayward 4x100

So if they could do that I guess they can do a deal like that for victor
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,402

Post#716 » by K For Three » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:13 am

My guess is KD always wanted Harden for a while and it might have pissed Kyrie off and made him jealous.

We will see how this works out.
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,402

Post#717 » by K For Three » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:18 am

MagicBagley18 wrote:KD signs with warriors ; “there’s only 1 ball to go around it won’t work”
Kawhi to raptors ; “ they are playoff underachievers he hasn’t played for a year and he wants out of SA?!?!? Red flaaaaaags”
AD traded to lakers “he’s oft injured never won a thing empty stats guy”
Nets form a super team “but their bench and back up bigs suck”

Guys the only thing stopping them from walking into the finals is massive toxicity. Which there is a real chance of but if that’s not there they are gonna run through teams- weak defense or not.

Those picks swaps may not even happen so essentially there’s a chance of it being 3 dog **** picks. Talk yourself into timelines and all this other stuff all you want but the nets just landed harden and got not 1 centerpiece back and that’s ridiculous

The reality is on paper u see 4 picks and 4 swaps but after looking into them there’s really good chances that those picks suck. Houston got dog **** and can’t help but think if kemba was healthy if we could have somehow flipped him and got involved and kept brown.

Relax my friend.

With Harden I kind of turned on him lately seeing his fat lazy ass out there.

I am sort of getting sick and tired of these egomaniacs in the NBA dictating their futures/holding franchises hostage and acting like they are the center of the universe. I am not going to say I am completely sick of the NBA but I don't think I am rushing to watch it like I was a year ago.

Also Kyrie is ****ing nuts.
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#718 » by Edug27 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:21 am

24istheLAW wrote:This is wild. If/when it blows up in Brooklyn's face, Houston got up to 8 first round picks back. EIGHT.

I just don't understand. Who was Brooklyn bidding against? How did the price get that high?

Even if it “blows up” I’m pretty sure Houston won’t need to swap picks with BK. Houston will suck for awhile.
Celtics1918
Freshman
And1: 28

Post#719 » by Celtics1918 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:23 am

jmr07019 wrote:Durant has an opt the same year Kemba has an opt out and Smarts contract expires? Hmmmm.

So Kemba is going to opt out with a bad knee and we are going to sign Durant Hmmmm sign me up Who team will it be Durrant or Tatum
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#720 » by Edug27 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:26 am

Kyrie and JR Smith wasn’t much better.

Return to Boston Celtics