ImageImageImage

Tatum to enter quarantine, miss 10 to 14 days

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,229

Re: Tatum to enter quarantine, miss 10 to 14 days 

Post#161 » by TheSheriff » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:45 am

grindtime22 wrote:
return2glory wrote:https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/01/12/0112-bh-s-celtics/

3rd straight game postponed for the Celtics. They don’t have the minimum 8 players required yet.

Seems like Grant, TT, Brown, Semi and Green might have tested positive too. Contact tracing doesn’t that this long. Beal already played.

Not sure if this has been posted here yet.

They must have kind of backed off on the seriousness of the Beal interaction? I don't know. I don't think Javonte had Covid the 1st time did he? That was a week. I think a bunch of the Rockets ended up out a week when they didn't test positive either.

Something happened to take us from 8 to less than 8, so I wouldn't be surprised if somebody that we don't know about has tested positive.

Yes. They went from 8 active to below the threshold. So someone tested positive or is sitting due to contact tracing.
keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,069

Post#162 » by keevsnick1 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:59 pm

So i think based off a seven day quarantine for close contacts that Grant and Thompson should eligible to return Friday, which means that game may stand a chance of being played. We don't know how many additional guys are in the H&S protocol so its hard to know for certain.

Jaylen, Semi, and Green would be eligible for return Sunday against the NYK i think. And Tatum would be eligible for return Perhaps as soon as Wednesday 1/20 @ Phi (he's out 10-14 days with a positive test, so it could be longer).
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#163 » by ParticleMan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:17 pm

Bill Bradley wrote:The studies on the vaccines do not show that they reduce transmission risk, just that they reduce symptoms. So there isn’t a scientific basis to argue that giving everyone the vaccine would stop the spread.

huh? that's how ALL vaccines work. they stop the spread if enough people are vaccinated such that the disease doesn't have anyone to transmit to.

if you get the disease, it's not going to stop the transmission to the next person. but it will stop you from getting it in the first place. or stop the next person from catching it from you if they are vaccinated.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#164 » by ParticleMan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:19 pm

keevsnick1 wrote:So i think based off a seven day quarantine for close contacts that Grant and Thompson should eligible to return Friday, which means that game may stand a chance of being played. We don't know how many additional guys are in the H&S protocol so its hard to know for certain.

Jaylen, Semi, and Green would be eligible for return Sunday against the NYK i think. And Tatum would be eligible for return Perhaps as soon as Wednesday 1/20 @ Phi (he's out 10-14 days with a positive test, so it could be longer).

i'd rather postpone another game or two, rather than have to play with a g-league team. that's not going to be pretty.
floyd
Bench Warmer
And1: 648

Post#165 » by floyd » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:46 pm

ParticleMan wrote:
Bill Bradley wrote:The studies on the vaccines do not show that they reduce transmission risk, just that they reduce symptoms. So there isn’t a scientific basis to argue that giving everyone the vaccine would stop the spread.

huh? that's how ALL vaccines work. they stop the spread if enough people are vaccinated such that the disease doesn't have anyone to transmit to.

if you get the disease, it's not going to stop the transmission to the next person. but it will stop you from getting it in the first place. or stop the next person from catching it from you if they are vaccinated.

My understanding is they didn’t study if the vaccine prevents infection or just illness (and not necessarily long term illness).

Below was from a text chat around xmas with my uncle who is an infectious disease MD. Possible new information since then, I’m not following super close.

“ Unclear if prevents infection (J&J vaccine trial studied and does- not part of Pfizer trial )and asymptomatic transmission thus need to still follow social distancing”

Vaccinating the players would certainly their health risk though.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,973

Post#166 » by sam_I_am » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:16 pm

If you are vaccinated, it is unknown if you could carry it and transmit it to another. In other words, if Tatum had been vaccinated vaccinated he would have been 95% less likely to get Covid but no one has any idea if he could still carry it an give it to his teammates or his mother because that part of study was not done in order to fast track it.
Bill Bradley
RealGM
And1: 2,407

Post#167 » by Bill Bradley » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:48 pm

ParticleMan wrote:

The studies themselves only demonstrated that they reduce COVID symptoms, not prevent transmission. We don't actually know that they function like a vaccine is supposed to. That's my point; based on the available science, thinking of these vaccines as a magic bullet is not yet supported by the evidence.

Edit: I think this article covers the issue if I'm remembering correctly: https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2020/09/23/covid-19-vaccine-protocols-reveal-that-trials-are-designed-to-succeed/?sh=1284d2335247
keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,069

Post#168 » by keevsnick1 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:25 pm

ParticleMan wrote:
keevsnick1 wrote:So i think based off a seven day quarantine for close contacts that Grant and Thompson should eligible to return Friday, which means that game may stand a chance of being played. We don't know how many additional guys are in the H&S protocol so its hard to know for certain.

i'd rather postpone another game or two, rather than have to play with a g-league team. that's not going to be pretty.

Oh for sure, but if guys clear quarantine and are available it wont be up to us or the Celtics. In some ways it worked out okay, we might only be without our full team for 1-2 games rather than 4-5.
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#169 » by Scoonie » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:06 pm

Where are our guys getting COVID from? Aren't they being careful away from the court?
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#170 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:21 pm

They're probably being as careful as the general public is and then also breathing and sweating on each other in close contact for hours at a time.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,019

Post#171 » by exculpatory » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:24 pm

sam_I_am wrote:If you are vaccinated, it is unknown if you could carry it and transmit it to another. In other words, if Tatum had been vaccinated vaccinated, he would have been 95% less likely to get Covid - but no one has any idea if he could still carry it and give it to his teammates or his mother - because that part of study was not done in order to fast track it.

Thanks, Sam.

BOTTOMLINE:
The trials documented that you are 95% less likely to contract COVID, & if you do get it, it will most likely not be hospitalization/ICU-requiring or a mortal event. Whether asymptomatic disease & potential transmission is prevented is not yet known. Therefore, until vaccine-mediated herd immunity is achieved, masking & distancing will still be required.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,395

Post#172 » by threrf23 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:43 pm

ParticleMan wrote:

I would actually prefer to see a G League team for a few games, in order to experience the summer league that never happened.

But I think it's most important that we quell our outbreak.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,861

Post#173 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:48 pm

Several other docs of my acquaintance have said that, while nothing has been proved, the odds are very good that the vaccine will also prevent transmission in the vast majority of cases.

I volunteer enthusiastically to participate in the next study, so long as I don't get the placebo.

The real issue now is the thousands of doses sitting in refrigerators because they don't have enough trained people to stick syringes in arms. And if you call your primary care physician to find out about getting vaccinated, they will all tell you that they have no idea when they will get the vaccine or will be free to administer it.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit

Return to Boston Celtics