ImageImageImage

Potential Buyout Guys

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Re: Potential Buyout Guys 

Post#221 » by Gomes3PC » Thu Apr 8, 2021 11:57 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Not gonna lie - I thought Jabari Parker was going to be the Paul Pierce to Andrew Wiggins’ VC in that draft. Oops

I don't think he loves hoops.
gocelts
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,898

Post#222 » by gocelts » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:00 am

We have a better chance of finding a keeper by feeding more minutes to Edwards, than taking a chance on Parker.

Actually, Parker wouldnt get minutes over Kornet right now.
~gocelts
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#223 » by djFan71 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:07 am

Curmudgeon wrote:
djFan71 wrote:Haven't multiple not-good teams tried the "take a chance on Jabari" thing to no avail?
I'm good without him.

Really? We are discussing Jabari "they don't pay me to play defense" Parker?

Soon to be Jabari "they don't pay me to play but they do pay me to flip burgers" Parker
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#224 » by 31to6 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:59 pm

Just for reference, the competition is Semi Ojeleye, who actually doesn’t do things on the basketball court.

Maybe Jabari could a) outplay him or b) motivate him to actually do some things.

I just can’t watch more of Semi not doing things it hurts
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#225 » by sully00 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:31 pm

djFan71 wrote:Haven't multiple not-good teams tried the "take a chance on Jabari" thing to no avail?
I'm good without him.

While true no good teams have actually brought him as a reclamation project and tried to figure out if he can contribute. He also has never had the come to Jesus moment either. He was still getting paid FA money on this deal. He is a mess for the most part but he has talent he is productive if not necessarily effective. But he has always been in starter or top 6 role and then gets shuffled out by another young talent and is sent packing. Not sure why he has not played at all this season

If you look at who is getting mins for this team right now seriously what could go wrong? They seem desperate for someone who can put the ball in the basket right now. They aren't beating anyone on the defensive anyway.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#226 » by djFan71 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 3:26 pm

sully00 wrote:
I'm good without him.

While true no good teams have actually brought him as a reclamation project and tried to figure out if he can contribute. He also has never had the come to Jesus moment either. He was still getting paid FA money on this deal. He is a mess for the most part but he has talent he is productive if not necessarily effective. But he has always been in starter or top 6 role and then gets shuffled out by another young talent and is sent packing. Not sure why he has not played at all this season

If you look at who is getting mins for this team right now seriously what could go wrong? They seem desperate for someone who can put the ball in the basket right now. They aren't beating anyone on the defensive anyway.

31to6 wrote:Just for reference, the competition is Semi Ojeleye, who actually doesn’t do things on the basketball court.

Maybe Jabari could a) outplay him or b) motivate him to actually do some things.

I totally agree with the sentiment of replacing end of the bench minutes, just not the choice of player to fill those spots. We should have used 30 or 47 and taken a flier on Woodard, Tyler Bey, Paul Reed, Xavier Tillman, etc in the draft. There's always bouncy bigs overseas or in the G-league to sign. There was Dedmon. Heck, I'd rather see Wagner get minutes over Jabari.

The dude's had his chances and hasn't capitalized for whatever reasons. I mean, there's a chance you guys are right and he magically regains his #2 pick form here, I just don't see it.
31to6
RealGM

Post#227 » by 31to6 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:10 pm

djFan71 wrote:
sully00 wrote:
I'm good without him.

31to6 wrote:Just for reference, the competition is Semi Ojeleye, who actually doesn’t do things on the basketball court.

I totally agree with the sentiment of replacing end of the bench minutes, just not the choice of player to fill those spots. We should have used 30 or 47 and taken a flier on Woodard, Tyler Bey, Paul Reed, Xavier Tillman, etc in the draft. There's always bouncy bigs overseas or in the G-league to sign. There was Dedmon. Heck, I'd rather see Wagner get minutes over Jabari.

The dude's had his chances and hasn't capitalized for whatever reasons. I mean, there's a chance you guys are right and he magically regains his #2 pick form here, I just don't see it.

#2 pick prestige is gone, that's over. But like Sully says, he's been on his way down for years -- only this year (out of the rotation, cut loose by SAC) has he apparently bottomed out. Some mid-20-year-olds will respond to that the 'right' way. He's got the body, bounce, and skills to have an NBA career. Whether he does or not is up to him and up to the opportunities he gets.

Totally agree about the draft, FWIW. I was a big fan of Oturu, Tillman, Paul Reed, and T. Bey. But NOPE we've gotta keep this 5'11" shooting guard who had a hell of a quarter in the preseason against the Cavs that one time. Apparently he's a really GOOD guy too, and those guys always finish first, so we're set.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,025

Post#228 » by Bad-Thoma » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:17 pm

I'll take Semi any day of the week over Parker, the only thing Parker ever did well was score and he's not great at that anymore. Semi is a better 3 pt shooter and not only actually plays defense but plays defense above average at the least. If it was the offseason I'd give Parker a training camp invite at best on the off chance he still could show something but in the middle of the season? Nah. There's a reason that even bad teams won't pay to keep this guy and the sample size isn't small.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,533

Post#229 » by playa-hater » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:30 pm

Part of me is still intrigued. But after 2 major knee surgeries and a horrible comment about not needing to be good on defense (forgot the exact quote) means a No Go. Especially with all the Want the ball players we have.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#230 » by djFan71 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:39 pm

31to6 wrote:
Spoiler:
djFan71 wrote:
sully00 wrote:

#2 pick prestige is gone, that's over. But like Sully says, he's been on his way down for years -- only this year (out of the rotation, cut loose by SAC) has he apparently bottomed out. Some mid-20-year-olds will respond to that the 'right' way. He's got the body, bounce, and skills to have an NBA career. Whether he does or not is up to him and up to the opportunities he gets.

Totally agree about the draft, FWIW. I was a big fan of Oturu, Tillman, Paul Reed, and T. Bey. But NOPE we've gotta keep this 5'11" shooting guard who had a hell of a quarter in the preseason against the Cavs that one time. Apparently he's a really GOOD guy too, and those guys always finish first, so we're set.

I guess you guys see "bottomed out" and I see "why do we think that's the bottom?". All good, but if you don't even maintain the sliver of hope he regains some kind of high-end form, what's the point? Volume scorer with no D as you're 12th man? Guy who shows something in our last 20 games and leaves for more opportunity in the summer? I'm with Bad-Thoma, at best an invite next training camp and see if he proves it to you. But, honestly, I wouldn't bother with that even.
31to6
RealGM

Post#231 » by 31to6 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:39 pm

Fair enough. Jabari seems to me like the only interesting guy out there, but I'm not wedded to him and Thoma makes some good counter-arguments. After ripping off the Theis and Javonte bandaids I was hoping we could continue to be a bit bold and improve our roster, but we probably are what we are at this point.

Are there any other guys worth talking about or is it the end of the line for this thread? I think these transactions need to be done by the end of tomorrow (4/10).
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,927

Post#232 » by Celts17Pride » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:44 pm

Not really anyone out there that would move the needle. At this point it's probably better for Ainge and the Celtics to have the Bird rights on Kornet and Wagner in case they need to sign them to cheap contracts next season. Also Edwards makes practically nothing and you might need him as a trade filler or cheap contract for next year.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,855

Post#233 » by BK_2020 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:45 pm

Three-time NBA champion Patrick McCaw available.
Bonus points for his Celtic-sounding name.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#234 » by djFan71 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:57 pm

31to6 wrote:Fair enough. Jabari seems to me like the only interesting guy out there, but I'm not wedded to him and Thoma makes some good counter-arguments. After ripping off the Theis and Javonte bandaids I was hoping we could continue to be a bit bold and improve our roster, but we probably are what we are at this point.

Are there any other guys worth talking about or is it the end of the line for this thread? I think these transactions need to be done by the end of tomorrow (4/10).

I think C17 nailed it. Nope. Be happy with your Fournier, Kornet, Wagner platter.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,025

Post#235 » by Bad-Thoma » Fri Apr 9, 2021 5:00 pm

31to6 wrote:Fair enough. Jabari seems to me like the only interesting guy out there, but I'm not wedded to him and Thoma makes some good counter-arguments. After ripping off the Theis and Javonte bandaids I was hoping we could continue to be a bit bold and improve our roster, but we probably are what we are at this point.

I just want to give you a bro-hug for doing one of the rarest things on the internet, saying someone made some good counter-arguments, the only thing rarer is someone saying I made some good-counter arguments. You, sir, are a gentleman.

ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Post#236 » by ballup » Fri Apr 9, 2021 5:00 pm

Semi is out there to tread water, to be a neutral presence. That's not something Jabari can be on this roster. He can bring scoring, but Fournier was brought in for that. Jabari can only guard 4s and he has extreme defensive tunnel vision. We don't have the defense to cover for his blatant mistakes.

I think the roster is set barring an OPJ waive.
Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
31to6
RealGM

Post#237 » by 31to6 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 5:14 pm

Bad-Thoma wrote:

I just want to give you a bro-hug for doing one of the rarest things on the internet, saying someone made some good counter-arguments, the only thing rarer is someone saying I made some good-counter arguments. You, sir, are a gentleman.

whoops I meant to say that your counterarguments were TRASH do you even WATCH THE GAMES bro are you even a REEL FAN??
I will find you in real life and dox you and then stab a vaccine full of poison in your ARM because I have so much ROID RAAAAGGGGEE!

Spoiler:
at least there's one thing that brings us all together: the fact that there is nothing, now, that Danny can do to improve this roster. Enjoy the peace for however few many weeks it lasts, then we can get back to cracking open each others' skulls and feasting on the gooey insides
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#238 » by sully00 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 6:28 pm

djFan71 wrote:

I think C17 nailed it. Nope. Be happy with your Fournier, Kornet, Wagner platter.

I am not. I am generally pro Ainge and in general fine with Fournier but my goodness did he blow this whole Theis for Mo Wagner/Luke Kornet thing. No offense to those guys I am sure they are nice people and Kornet can make a 3 but they suck with a vengeance. There wasn't one decent 4/5 available? Thompson was in Covid protocol at the deadline right?
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#239 » by sully00 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 6:30 pm

playa-hater wrote:Part of me is still intrigued. But after 2 major knee surgeries and a horrible comment about not needing to be good on defense (forgot the exact quote) means a No Go. Especially with all the Want the ball players we have.

I think I am just bored.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#240 » by djFan71 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 6:31 pm

sully00 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:

I am not. I am generally pro Ainge and in general fine with Fournier but my goodness did he blow this whole Theis for Mo Wagner/Luke Kornet thing. No offense to those guys I am sure they are nice people and Kornet can make a 3 but they suck with a vengeance. There wasn't one decent 4/5 available? Thompson was in Covid protocol at the deadline right?

lol, yeah, on this we're in total agreement. I feel like Theis for Biyombo and a 2nd had to be available. Theis is destined for Charlotte anyways.

Return to Boston Celtics