ImageImageImage

“Ainge Too Proud To Beg” Trade Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

tfribs45
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,021

Re: “Ainge Too Proud To Beg” Trade Thread 

Post#1901 » by tfribs45 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:48 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Read on Twitter

Your supposed to be a **** Wet Blanket, not accelerant!

Unfortunately, this suggests Smart's next contract will be EXPENSIVE.

Pay the man, he's our leader right now! Build around RWIII, the J's and that's right I said it COBRAAAAAAAAAAA!!
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#1902 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:51 pm

If we trade for Oladipo, I reserve the right to take back all the bad things I said about him.

But please do not trade for him. His injury sealed his fate. Hes cooked now.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,611

Post#1903 » by bisme37 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:52 pm

Smarty is a really good player. There have certainly been a number of games this year where I felt he didn't play very well, but that's been true of the whole team. The idea of having to play against Smart on a different team is not pleasant.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,031

Post#1904 » by Bad-Thoma » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:55 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:If we trade for Oladipo, I reserve the right to take back all the bad things I said about him.

But please do not trade for him. His injury sealed his fate. Hes cooked now.

He's a lot like Bradley Beal if BB didn't shoot, defend, drive, or pass as well. Come to think of it other than playing the same postion and being similarly built he's not much like Bradley Beal.

edit: if we, against all logic, ever traded for him I reserve the right to nickname him B Cubed, short for Bootleg Bradley Beal
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#1905 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:55 pm

Looks like I’ve made my second consecutive Wall of Shame. I’ll be back in the next thread, gentlemen. I’m off to pad my stats for work and kick out some foreign nationals for staging fake marriages. Ta-ta!
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#1906 » by ddb » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:00 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:
ddb wrote:
LarryBirdsFingr wrote:Same

I would be very disappointed. As should you. Not because we all want trades, but because it's very, very clear that this team needs a facelift. There is fundamentally something wrong with the structure of this group and Danny Ainge has even gone as far as to admit that this is not a championship level team AND that the pieces don't seem to fit.

If Ainge does nothing and the TPE sits there until the offseason, that's a mistake. A big one. Using the TPE now doesn't mean he can't make a bigger deal this offseason. So that narrative is garbage. What is the most concerning thing right now is that the confidence and body language from the players is lousy.

One of two things is true....It's either this Celtics team with a bolstered rotation via trade(s) can compete to come out of the East this season OR even with a good trade(s) this team is nowhere close to being a contender. It's one of the two....And in either scenario DA needs to make a move. Either get better and surge......or begin the process of tearing down what's not working so that he can quickly rework the making of this roster around Tatum/JB.

IMO keeping this team as-is is a major, major mistake. A fireable one at that. That would mean this team ends up maybe #6 at best...maybe even below that....They are a 2nd round exit at best.....lost season. no progress one way or another.

I would add that using the tpe on anything that is NOT an expiring increases flexibility in the offseason as you can combine players together in a trade but cannot combine players and a TPE.

for example trading the tpe now for a player making 28 million means you could trade for a player making 35 million in the summer by moving Thompson and the player you traded the TPE for

exactly. it adds more flexibility to what the Celtics can do this offseason. So again, to what I said it really makes little to no sense to just sit on the TPE and continue to let this season get darker and darker. Now's the time to make a big splash to try to salvage the season AND gain added flexibility this summer
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,656

Post#1907 » by grindtime22 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:03 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
I said it before, Smart's next contract will be in the 20-25 mils range. As for Bullpett, he's Danny's lapdog, so this might very well be Danny's view on Smart. :lol:

I doubt it. Teams don't pay big $ for "culture" or "intangibles". They pay for talent. Shooting especially. Smart is a nice guy to have but I doubt some team will pay over $20mm for an average player.

Agreed, those are perks, sought after but not paid for. Look at PJ Tucker’s contracts.

I don't think his deals are that relevant

He was a journeyman that was out of the league for a long period. He became solid, but nothing more, and does nothing more than stand in the corner on offense. PJ Tucker worked his way back into the league and became a nice player with the Suns and a very short stint with the Raptors.

There is only one deal that matters and even that one doesn't really tell the story. His peak value/perception didn't happen until after he signed the Mid level deal in Houston and they were more willing to go small. Sure, they were reluctant to give him an extension, but he is 35.
ddb
RealGM

Post#1908 » by ddb » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:05 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:I listened to Matt Moore/HP on the Locked on Nuggets pod today, and he thinks that the AG deal to the Celtics is unlikely because he feels the Celtics won't give up Smart, but then he also says that he thinks Denver won't offer two firsts to get it done. And that Portland is unlikely.

So...who would it even be then?

Makes sense. What's going to end up happening is Danny will say "we were close about the asking price was too high." Celtics will finish is the 8th seed or miss the playoffs, magic will keep their guys and continue to be absolutely trash for the foreseeable future.

Curious to know.....Does anyone who said "heck no!" to the idea of a Brown/Smart for Harden trade earlier this year feel different now that we've seen Harden turn BK into a serious title contender? They were not that before they acquired Harden. Kyrie/Durant are incredibly talented but not too durable either. Harden has stabilized that team and is making everyone around him better. Would have been fun to see the type of impact he could have had on Boston & playing with Tatum. we think Timelord looks good now. Just imagine if he was playing with Harden.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#1909 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:05 pm

There aren’t any good players making 27.5 million or less, waiting until the summer is BS fan management. I’d rather settle for Otto Porter and reup him for one year, 27 million as a trade chip.
Afam
RealGM
And1: 8,437

Post#1910 » by Afam » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:06 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Afam wrote:Hello everyone. I hope everyone had a wonderful day.

Appreciate the positivity, for real

You are welcome.
drs123310
Sophomore
And1: 241

Post#1911 » by drs123310 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:07 pm

I'm glad AG's trade request went public. Less leverage for Orlando - I'd be shocked if they get all of 2 "good" firsts and a young player
The Truth hurts
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#1912 » by Ernest » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:13 pm

Afam wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Afam wrote:Hello everyone. I hope everyone had a wonderful day.

Appreciate the positivity, for real

You are welcome.

This is like two prize fighters exchanging pleasantries the day before the fight.
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,469

Post#1913 » by Jaqua92 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:18 pm

drs123310 wrote:I'm glad AG's trade request went public. Less leverage for Orlando - I'd be shocked if they get all of 2 "good" firsts and a young player
Yeah. This is probably going to work out. There's a good chance Danny gets this done without giving up Kemba or smart. That's good news.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#1914 » by Ernest » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:19 pm

ddb wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:I listened to Matt Moore/HP on the Locked on Nuggets pod today, and he thinks that the AG deal to the Celtics is unlikely because he feels the Celtics won't give up Smart, but then he also says that he thinks Denver won't offer two firsts to get it done. And that Portland is unlikely.

Makes sense. What's going to end up happening is Danny will say "we were close about the asking price was too high." Celtics will finish is the 8th seed or miss the playoffs, magic will keep their guys and continue to be absolutely trash for the foreseeable future.

Curious to know.....Does anyone who said "heck no!" to the idea of a Brown/Smart for Harden trade earlier this year feel different now that we've seen Harden turn BK into a serious title contender? They were not that before they acquired Harden. Kyrie/Durant are incredibly talented but not too durable either. Harden has stabilized that team and is making everyone around him better. Would have been fun to see the type of impact he could have had on Boston & playing with Tatum. we think Timelord looks good now. Just imagine if he was playing with Harden.

That's a really good question.

I was def "heck no"

I think I still am. On a fan level, I just don't want to lose Smart. I'd only trade him for LBJ or similar level talent. If I try to be objective Smart was hurt and still doesn't look 100% back. Brown hasn't been as good recently as he was to start the season. I think I've gone from a "heck no" to a "no." I still do believe in our guys and am looking long term. The Nets are a perfect fit for Harden. They have a few years to go for a title and then they all retire. We are a different situation.
ddb
RealGM

Post#1915 » by ddb » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:20 pm

I love Marcus Smart....No question. But I do sometimes ask myself if I'd be relieved if he was traded and I no longer had to feel my body tighten up every single time he touches the basketball. He's the ultimate, "NO, NO, NO, YEEES!" player. That's not always a good thing including his costly turn over last night which helped bury the Celtics.

I think we all need to get past how respected he is in the locker room. I don't question his value as a competitor & teammate.....But if teams really want him and are willing to give up far superior TALENT then it's something DA would be foolish not to seriously consider. Marcus Smart is valuable on his current contract. Once he's getting paid 20-25million I'd say that all changes.
Jaqua92
RealGM

Post#1916 » by Jaqua92 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:21 pm

Ernest wrote:
ddb wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:

That's a really good question.

I was def "heck no"

I think I still am. On a fan level, I just don't want to lose Smart. I'd only trade him for LBJ or similar level talent. If I try to be objective Smart was hurt and still doesn't look 100% back. Brown hasn't been as good recently as he was to start the season. I think I've gone from a "heck no" to a "no." I still do believe in our guys and am looking long term. The Nets are a perfect fit for Harden. They have a few years to go for a title and then they all retire. We are a different situation.
Smart being untouchable for anyone else outside of a generational talent is absolutely ridiculous man. Absolutely ridiculous.

Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,944

Post#1917 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:22 pm

ddb wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:

I'm still in the heck no camp but I know I am in the minority
Jaqua92
RealGM

Post#1918 » by Jaqua92 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:24 pm

ddb wrote:I love Marcus Smart....No question. But I do sometimes ask myself if I'd be relieved if he was traded and I no longer had to feel my body tighten up every single time he touches the basketball. He's the ultimate, "NO, NO, NO, YEEES!" player. That's not always a good thing including his costly turn over last night which helped bury the Celtics.

I think we all need to get past how respected he is in the locker room. I don't question his value as a competitor & teammate.....But if teams really want him and are willing to give up far superior TALENT then it's something DA would be foolish not to seriously consider. Marcus Smart is valuable on his current contract. Once he's getting paid 20-25million I'd say that all changes.
If Danny can pull in Gordon without giving up Smart and Kemba, And we can build some sort of package around smart for a legitimate high-impact starter or guard, I believe this team really would turn into a conference finals contender. Giving Tatum and Brown reliable scores around them is huge.

JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#1919 » by JediMasterRevan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:25 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:
drs123310 wrote:I'm glad AG's trade request went public. Less leverage for Orlando - I'd be shocked if they get all of 2 "good" firsts and a young player
Yeah. This is probably going to work out. There's a good chance Danny gets this done without giving up Kemba or smart. That's good news.

we want to giveKemba
Jaqua92
RealGM

Post#1920 » by Jaqua92 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:29 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:

we want to giveKemba
I do. Not for Gordon though.

Return to Boston Celtics