ImageImageImage

“Ainge Too Proud To Beg” Trade Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Re: “Ainge Too Proud To Beg” Trade Thread 

Post#1941 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:03 pm

31to6 wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:KOC and Chris Vernon are saying that this team has big chemistry issues

Specifically Tristan Thompson. Basically they make him sound like he's a partier and the locker room doesn't love him

wait what

Given his life experiences, Tatum would probably be annoyed by a partier who doesn't devote much attention to his kids.

If married-with-kids Theis looks down on TT for that, it's a particular problem due to position played.

Guys who seem moralistic in some way or other, in approximately increasing order of apparent religiosity, include Walker, Tatum, Brown, Tacko, and Semi.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#1942 » by JediMasterRevan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:04 pm

CelticsLV wrote:All the "don't trade Smart" posters will be the first ones to show their anger about Ainge not getting something for Smart as he leaves with $20m per year contract.

if the team is a contender then they will pay marcus 20 million.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Post#1943 » by FlatearthZorro » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:05 pm

Them threads are going crazy, but I still believe there is a day and a half till the action really begins.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,642

Post#1944 » by GoCeltics123 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:07 pm

Ok so here's what Vernon/KOC said about the chemistry:

--Smart trade rumors affecting the team a bit
--Due to Covid protocol, the Celtics locker room isn't big enough to have people 6 feet apart so they basically have to have 2 locker rooms for the vets and younger guys, which hasn't helped chemistry
--Tristan is not well liked, he's already back in Covid protocol and does not stop partying
--Execs told him that they think we do get Gordon though, has no idea if Smart or Fournier will be in the deal and thinks it's more complicated than being reported
--Smart and Danny have a great relationship so if Danny is willing to trade him, that says a lot about how he feels about the team
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,312

Post#1945 » by Captain_Caveman » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:07 pm

grindtime22 wrote:
ddb wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
Makes sense. What's going to end up happening is Danny will say "we were close about the asking price was too high." Celtics will finish is the 8th seed or miss the playoffs, magic will keep their guys and continue to be absolutely trash for the foreseeable future.

Curious to know.....Does anyone who said "heck no!" to the idea of a Brown/Smart for Harden trade earlier this year feel different now that we've seen Harden turn BK into a serious title contender? They were not that before they acquired Harden. Kyrie/Durant are incredibly talented but not too durable either. Harden has stabilized that team and is making everyone around him better. Would have been fun to see the type of impact he could have had on Boston & playing with Tatum. we think Timelord looks good now. Just imagine if he was playing with Harden.

I've always believed they were a serious title contender. They are a regular season juggernaut, but that isn't really new with Harden is it? We will see in the postseason. I like his chances much better now that he has 2 of the best closers in the game.

I have no major attachment to Brown, but I do think his value around the league is extremely high. It is probably higher than his actual impact. He is a premium young asset. If we are losing that and Smart on top of it, I still want to know if the player coming back wants to be here. I know some people view it as championship or bust, but I'm not rolling the dice if I think it is probable Harden walks at the end of the deal. If we were a true destination franchise, I would be more willing.

There is no doubt that Harden would put this team on a completely different level than our current performance. Our scrubs would not look like scrubs if Harden were delivering the ball. Timelord would look unbelievable if he had a player that was actually good at throwing the lob. Instead, we have guys that might be able to put it in the same zip code if they somehow recognize that the lob is available in the first place.

Harden was worth considering, but I ended up coming down to the realization that the following wasn't a title team:

Kemba/Pritchard
Harden/Langford
Tatum/Nesmith
Theis/GWill/Semi
RWill/Thompson

Even if you throw in PJ Tucker, or make a similar move, it's just not enough. Not this year or next. So what was the point as a go all-in to win-now trade?
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#1946 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:08 pm

ddb wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:I listened to Matt Moore/HP on the Locked on Nuggets pod today, and he thinks that the AG deal to the Celtics is unlikely because he feels the Celtics won't give up Smart, but then he also says that he thinks Denver won't offer two firsts to get it done. And that Portland is unlikely.

So...who would it even be then?

Makes sense. What's going to end up happening is Danny will say "we were close about the asking price was too high." Celtics will finish is the 8th seed or miss the playoffs, magic will keep their guys and continue to be absolutely trash for the foreseeable future.

Curious to know.....Does anyone who said "heck no!" to the idea of a Brown/Smart for Harden trade earlier this year feel different now that we've seen Harden turn BK into a serious title contender? They were not that before they acquired Harden. Kyrie/Durant are incredibly talented but not too durable either. Harden has stabilized that team and is making everyone around him better. Would have been fun to see the type of impact he could have had on Boston & playing with Tatum. we think Timelord looks good now. Just imagine if he was playing with Harden.

I didn’t anticipate the fact that the Celtics would be running a “your turn, my turn” iso-heavy offense. Had I known, then yeah, it would have made sense to acquire Harden, who excels at that sort of thing.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,312

Post#1947 » by Captain_Caveman » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:10 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:
CelticsLV wrote:All the "don't trade Smart" posters will be the first ones to show their anger about Ainge not getting something for Smart as he leaves with $20m per year contract.

A $20m per year contract that starts in 2022 will be roughly the same salary he has now proportionate to future salary caps.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#1948 » by Ernest » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:10 pm

Not me! If that were to happen I'd be very angry that we didn't pay him.

What is the most he can make on his next contract? I'm too lazy to look it up, but whatever it is, I think he is worth it.

A lot of people here hated his contract he is on now when he signed it. The same people hated AB's contract. Both proved to be great deals. D matters. You guys can keep telling yourselves that the size of someone's D doesn't matter, but it does, and that's why you are wrong and sad and alone.
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,780

Post#1949 » by flintsky21 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:10 pm

I'd trade him to the Hawks for Collins and Bogdanovic in a heartbeat if that's on the table. Not paying 20m per for a role player, no matter how good he is at that.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#1950 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:10 pm

If we’re speculating about chemistry, Grant Williams sometimes looks frozen out of the offense relative to his ability..
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#1951 » by Ernest » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:10 pm

Brought to you by Goose Island. Padding for the wall. The Goose is on the loose!
CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 10,858

Post#1952 » by CelticsPride18 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:10 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:Ok so here's what Vernon/KOC said about the chemistry:

--Due to Covid protocol, the Celtics locker room isn't big enough to have people 6 feet apart so they basically have to have 2 locker rooms for the vets and younger guys, which hasn't helped chemistry
--Tristan is not well liked, he's already back in Covid protocol and does not stop partying
--Execs told him that they think we do get Gordon though, has no idea if Smart or Fournier will be in the deal and thinks it's more complicated than being reported
--Smart and Danny have a great relationship so if Danny is willing to trade him, that says a lot about how he feels about the team

KOC is legit but the Smart stuff bothering the team is stupid because the news broke yesterday about possibly trading him.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,409

Post#1953 » by bisme37 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:10 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:KOC and Chris Vernon are saying that this team has big chemistry issues

Specifically Tristan Thompson. Basically they make him sound like he's a partier and the locker room doesn't love him

Kinda weird to hear this because our guys recruited Thompson in the offseason. And I'd always heard he's a really hard worker, despite being on the Kardashian show and all of that.

Read on Twitter
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#1954 » by MagicBagley18 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:12 pm

I’d say smarts next contract is 17-20 range, I said 18-22 the other day but that’s probably a tad high. He’s at roughly 13 now and gonna get a raise so that starts at 16 then it depends on the market etc. a rebuilding team looking for a leader and someone to control the locker may push it to 20 & would likely over pay
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,788

Post#1955 » by 31to6 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:12 pm

Ernest wrote:You guys can keep telling yourselves that the size of someone's D doesn't matter, but it does, and that's why you are wrong and sad and alone.

sounds like something the cool, refreshing Goose IPA would say
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#1956 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:13 pm

The only rumor is that Atlanta asked for Smart - which is probably sometimes leaked to sow discord and increase the likelihood a player becomes available.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man

Post#1957 » by JediMasterRevan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:13 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
JediMasterRevan wrote:

A $20m per year contract that starts in 2022 will be roughly the same salary he has now proportionate to future salary caps.

yup.

IMO, if the team is a contender they will up up close to max to keep smart because everyone has stated team will gladly pay tax for a threat to win it all.
Smart can bring that.

I also think smart will take a bit less to stay in boston as long as he is appreciated and winning.
robdog_5
Veteran
And1: 2,155

Post#1958 » by robdog_5 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:13 pm

I dont think Tristan likes people here. I've seen his body language bad when he gets pulled out.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man

Post#1959 » by JediMasterRevan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:14 pm

bisme37 wrote:

Kinda weird to hear this because our guys recruited Thompson in the offseason. And I'd always heard he's a really hard worker, despite being on the Kardashian show and all of that.

Read on Twitter

meh, they might have, but have since done a 180.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#1960 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:14 pm

CelticsPride18 wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:Ok so here's what Vernon/KOC said about the chemistry:

KOC is legit but the Smart stuff bothering the team is stupid because the news broke yesterday about possibly trading him.

Smart's been mentioned in trade rumors a lot longer than that, and Danny never shoots rumors down.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".

Return to Boston Celtics