ImageImageImage

Celtics questions that need a celtics response

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,078

Celtics questions that need a celtics response 

Post#1 » by Lockdown504090 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:31 pm

1. Why did they sign tristan thompson when they needed help on the wing more
a) why are they playing thies and thompson together so often? is brad insane

2. Is Robert williams presently worth the mintues hes playing? he just looks like shorter wizards mcgee with all the mistakes he makes sometimes.

3. Are the celtics waiting for lebron to get old, or do they actually intend to compete in the next two years.

4. Is kemba bad or just a victim of circumstance? he looks fine to me, but I'm not sure.

5. would adding a "motivated" drummond, without the obligitory awful post ups so often make them a contender?
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,577

Re: Celtics questions that need a celtics response 

Post#2 » by bisme37 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:42 pm

1) We signed Thompson to replace Kanter. Thompson sucked to start the year because he had a hamstring injury. He's been playing much better lately, getting a ton of boards and scoring in the paint. He is probably expendable though if someone wants to give us something for him.

Most of us hated the Theis/TT starting unit but it was mostly out of necessity with Kemba, Smart and others missing a lot of games. Seems like the double big thing is past us now.

2) Robert Williams is becoming an absolute monster. He does make mistakes but less so by the game. His athleticism is insane and he's become a game changer. Most people have been saying he should get more minutes, not fewer. But he has some health issues that are being monitored, so his minutes are held somewhat in check. In a year he'll be a league leader in shot blocks and field goal percentage.

3) Whatever bro.

4) Kemba is "back" physically. He's just hella streaky. He's either on fire or laying bricks. And still trying to find a role to some degree.

5) I don't think Drummond is a net-positive player but others disagree.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#3 » by soxfan2003 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:30 pm

If the Celtics are going to win it all, Celtics need a better big more than they need help on the wing. Team obviously could use help in a lot of areas. Some are touting Robert Williams, I doubt he will ever be the answer against elite bigs or against elite wings that can drive to the hoop. Blocks/rebounds can be overrated. Marcus Camby for example elite college defender but despite his blocks/rebounds, I would take better positional defenders over Camby at the NBA level without thinking twice. Robert Williams appears to be a poor man's Camby playing with better wing talent and playing in a much easier era for athletic bigs than what Camby played in. Camby near his best in the NBA finals faced Tim Duncan AND David Robinson. Kind of tough to score near the basket with those two when the refs aren't giving you calls you deserve as well.

Kemba normally isn't this bad during regular season but it is no surprise he is declining. He is streaky as well.

Paying Kemba the max heading into his 30's with those knee surgeries was the equivalent of paying a similarly aged Jason Terry the max. Kemba may have peaked at a higher level than Terry but since Terry is taller, he was going to have the advantage in all likelihood in having a smoother decline and being a little bit better in the playoffs on defense. The big difference was Terry was never paid the max by Dallas so his contract didn't hinder the Mavs flexibility as much as what Kemba is doing to the Celtics. And Terry played with teammates such as Dirk/Kidd that made his life easier, Kemba doesn't have that luxury.

Need to add a superstar big that fits to make this team a true contender. Drummond doesn't come close. Celtics will finish above .500 but despite having two legit all-stars they are a mediocre team overall without much upside as the team currently stands.
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#4 » by OldCeltics » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:42 pm

Fire Ainge and Stevens
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,236

Post#5 » by LewisnotMiller » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:47 am

bisme37 wrote:1) We signed Thomson to replace Kanter. Thomson sucked to start the year because he had a hamstring injury. He's been playing much better lately, getting a ton of boards and scoring in the paint. He is probably expendable though if someone wants to give us something for him.

Most of us hated the Theis/TT starting unit but it was mostly out of necessity with Kemba, Smart and others missing a lot of games. Seems like the double big thing is past us now.

2) Robert Williams is becoming an absolute monster. He does make mistakes but less so by the game. His athleticism is insane and he's become a game changer. Most people have been saying he should get more minutes, not fewer. But he has some health issues that are being monitored, so his minutes are held somewhat in check. In a year he'll be a league leader in shot blocks and field goal percentage.

3) Whatever bro.

4) Kemba is "back" physically. He's just hella streaky. He's either on fire or laying bricks. And still trying to find a role to some degree.

5) I don't think Drummond is a net-positive player but others disagree.

Pretty much agree with all this. I'd add...

With TT, we wanted a more robust post defender for the post season, as well as an effective rebounder. I get that, I just would have prioritised a big wing so we could roll with Smart, Brown, Tatum, big wing and Theis/Rob, and be switchy. I also think there was an element of wanting to add a trade able mid level contract.

I'd go much stronger on Drummond not being a net positive. Watch him try to defend Embiid in the post for reference. I'd rather have TT.

But, yep...largely agree with everything you've said here.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,401

Post#6 » by threrf23 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:23 am

1.) We didn't need help on the wing more.

(Brad feels obliged to give Theis minutes + status because he feels Theis has earned it, TT is used to starting and wants to earn one last contract before he turns ~30 and was likely expecting a starting role when he signed here, and Rob Williams needs minutes because he is young and improving and gives us needed energy and is the only plus defensive presence we have in our front court - Brad 'll tweak rotations come the playoffs perhaps, but rn I feel he is still trying to juggle politics. This is a reason why we arguably should not have signed TT.)

2.) Yes. Theis and TT might consistently make rotations and stuff, but they aren't plus defenders overall so it's not always a big improvement over leaving guys open. Timelord is electric, he is our best rebounder, he plays harder (or healthier lately, maybe) than Theis and TT, and he alters many shots (and plays) when near the basket.

4.) He's a good player, he hasn't been a good PG or leader, but then again the team culture sucks rn it's possible he'd be a plus presence in a different environment.

5.) Ignoring salary considerations and locker room presence, at his worst, Drummond would help us noticeably where we are weak, at his best he would mature and be a legit stud, but we're not that close to being a contender rn.

Return to Boston Celtics