ImageImageImage

Evan Fournier Appreciation Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Re: Welcome to Boston, Evan Fournier! 

Post#241 » by captain green » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:09 am

Kinda with hal here honestly essential four seconds and some tpe give him a 2 years to get his stats. Call it move on after.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,006

Post#242 » by Hal14 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:39 pm

captain green wrote:Kinda with hal here honestly essential four seconds and some tpe give him a 2 years to get his stats. Call it move on after.

Plus, 2 years from now both Nesmith and Langford will be 23 and their training wheels will be ready to come off.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,966

Post#243 » by cl2117 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:32 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:
Hal14 wrote:I'd prefer to only sign Fournier for 2 years. That way, him and Horford both come off the books at the same time in 2023 offseason - at which time we could possibly sign a quality free agent. Plus, only signing him for 2 years is a good move since we also have Brown, Nesmith and Langford playing the same position so hopefully by 2023 either Langford and/or Nesmith is ready to take over Fournier's role..

Fournier is 28, and very early next season he turns 29. I feel like a skinny guy like him who has had a decent amount of injuries over his career might start declining once he gets over 30..

Let's get 2 good years out of him (and Horford) and then move on..

Based on the exact same reason, Fournier will most likely only sign a 3- or 4-year deal. There will be other suitors for him, so the Celtics will have to compete for his services.

Yeah I think you've got to accept it'll be at least 3 years if not 4, unless you plan to ridiculously overpay for 2 and even then he might rather the security.

As long as it's declining though we'll be in a good spot to move him if cap space becomes a priority. Front load the **** out of it and in years 3-4 he could be on mid-low teens, which will be very moveable.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,006

Post#244 » by Hal14 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:41 pm

cl2117 wrote:
SuperDeluxe wrote:
Hal14 wrote:I'd prefer to only sign Fournier for 2 years. That way, him and Horford both come off the books at the same time in 2023 offseason - at which time we could possibly sign a quality free agent. Plus, only signing him for 2 years is a good move since we also have Brown, Nesmith and Langford playing the same position so hopefully by 2023 either Langford and/or Nesmith is ready to take over Fournier's role..

Fournier is 28, and very early next season he turns 29. I feel like a skinny guy like him who has had a decent amount of injuries over his career might start declining once he gets over 30..

Let's get 2 good years out of him (and Horford) and then move on..

Based on the exact same reason, Fournier will most likely only sign a 3- or 4-year deal. There will be other suitors for him, so the Celtics will have to compete for his services.

Yeah I think you've got to accept it'll be at least 3 years if not 4, unless you plan to ridiculously overpay for 2 and even then he might rather the security.

As long as it's declining though we'll be in a good spot to move him if cap space becomes a priority. Front load the **** out of it and in years 3-4 he could be on mid-low teens, which will be very moveable.

You might be right.

With Kemba gone, it's more important now to resign Fournier so we have a solid no. 3 scoring option. Fournier has potential to score near or equal to Kemba's scoring volume while doing it with better efficiency and being less of an injury risk.

Unless of course we're somehow able to trade for someone else who can get you 17+ PPG..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#245 » by moonie_mcgee » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:01 am

Very convincing takes but with Smart, Brown, Nesmith and Romey in the mix, can we get another 17+ ppg scorer that plays better defense and at a different position. Not being a wise guy but wouldn't that be more of a target/priority.
That's the Way of the World
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,268

Post#246 » by chrisab123 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:03 am

Hal14 wrote:
captain green wrote:Kinda with hal here honestly essential four seconds and some tpe give him a 2 years to get his stats. Call it move on after.

Plus, 2 years from now both Nesmith and Langford will be 23 and their training wheels will be ready to come off.

Or they'll be in the CBA while the Celtics are getting bounced in the 2nd round.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,541

Post#247 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:12 am

I predict Evan Fournier is going to get 4 years and $72 million from the Celtics or some other team.
BleedGreen1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,776

Post#248 » by BleedGreen1989 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:51 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:I predict Evan Fournier is going to get 4 years and $72 million from the Celtics or some other team.

That makes my stomach hurt and I like Evan in a vacuum. Just makes no sense to clog up this cap sheet to that amount.

I'd rather overpay quite a bit annually and keep it short.
smooth_as_silk
Sophomore
And1: 62

Post#249 » by smooth_as_silk » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:56 pm

BleedGreen1989 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:I predict Evan Fournier is going to get 4 years and $72 million from the Celtics or some other team.

That makes my stomach hurt and I like Evan in a vacuum. Just makes no sense to clog up this cap sheet to that amount.

It would be very nice to have Evan back
It would be even nicer to be sitting on a 28.5 million dollar TPE right now with all future picks.

I cannot see how even can get more money than some one like Joe Harris. He is a good shooter, not great. He isnt a 3andD player.

Got to be more like a 4 year, 4th a player option, 65 million
About the same for Marcus Smart
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,101

Post#250 » by RickyDizzle » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:37 pm

smooth_as_silk wrote:
BleedGreen1989 wrote:

It would be even nicer to be sitting on a 28.5 million dollar TPE right now with all future picks.

I cannot see how even can get more money than some one like Joe Harris. He is a good shooter, not great. He isnt a 3andD player.

4 for 72 seems high. I think he's in his prime, but is what he is based on his age. That deal seems like it projects a higher upside than I think teams still see. I also think some teams may think it's a foregone conclusion he's back with the Cs given what we invested and the Kemba trade which may temper his market.

Think we start at 3/42 or 4/55 and the deal probably gets done around 4/62. I do not see him accepting a big 2 year deal
smooth_as_silk
Sophomore
And1: 62

Post#251 » by smooth_as_silk » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:41 pm

RickyDizzle wrote:
smooth_as_silk wrote:
BleedGreen1989 wrote:

4 for 72 seems high. I think he's in his prime, but is what he is based on his age. That deal seems like it projects a higher upside than I think teams still see. I also think some teams may think it's a foregone conclusion he's back with the Cs given what we invested and the Kemba trade which may temper his market.

Think we start at 3/42 or 4/55 and the deal probably gets done around 4/62. I do not see him accepting a big 2 year deal

4/62 sounds very reasonable to me.

Perhaps a declining contract as well.
17,16,15, 14

That makes him a more valuable trade piece
Celts17Pride
RealGM

Post#252 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:41 pm

Just a reminder that Danilo Gallinari got $20.5 million per year and Bogdan Bogdanović got $18.0 million per year just last off season.
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer

Post#253 » by RickyDizzle » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:50 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:Just a reminder that Danilo Gallinari got $20.5 million per year and Bogdan Bogdanović got $18.0 million per year just last off season.

Maybe you can argue that's his peer group but wouldn't you rather have either than Evan? Galo has some injury concerns but is thriving as a stretchy 4 and Boggie has more upside than Fournier and has been great after a slow start too. They were also both overpaid by the same team with buckets of salary cap space to get rid of.
Celts17Pride
RealGM

Post#254 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:53 pm

RickyDizzle wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Just a reminder that Danilo Gallinari got $20.5 million per year and Bogdan Bogdanović got $18.0 million per year just last off season.

Maybe you can argue that's his peer group but wouldn't you rather have either than Evan? Galo has some injury concerns but is thriving as a stretchy 4 and Boggie has more upside than Fournier and has been great after a slow start too. They were also both overpaid by the same team with buckets of salary cap space to get rid of.

I don't know, Bogdanović did his very best to get Philly to the Conference Finals. It didn't work.
Justin33
Sixth Man
And1: 1,067

Post#255 » by Justin33 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:06 pm

Sounds realistic and if it's that number it will be the Celtics.
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer

Post#256 » by RickyDizzle » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:06 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
RickyDizzle wrote:

I don't know, Bogdanović did his very best to get Philly to the Conference Finals. It didn't work.

Yeah I hear you, but he also had 21 points in a game 1 win against Philly and was arguably their best/2nd best player against the Knicks. Had +/-'s of +17, +5 (in a 9 point loss), +11, +29 against the Knicks. The rest of the Philly series was indeed a struggle for him.

He's also about the same age as Fournier, so I had that wrong. My gut says I would still take Bogdanovich, but its probably closer than I thought.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,849

Post#257 » by 24istheLAW » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:46 pm

Not to beat a dead horse, but this is why turning Hayward into Myles Turner was an attractive proposition. Last offseason, Turner was under contract for 3 years at $18m per. Instead we turned Hayward into the TPE, and the TPE into Fournier. Now instead of Turner for 2 years at $18m, we need to do Fournier at 4 years at $18m.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,605

Post#258 » by BK_2020 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:48 pm

24istheLAW wrote:Not to beat a dead horse, but this is why turning Hayward into Myles Turner was an attractive proposition. Last offseason, Turner was under contract for 3 years at $18m per. Instead we turned Hayward into the TPE, and the TPE into Fournier. Now instead of Turner for 2 years at $18m, we need to do Fournier at 4 years at $18m.

The Celtics wanted to dodge repeater tax.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#259 » by captain green » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:29 pm

Turner was going to bring the tax so that's mute now but I concur we'd be in a better situation team wise.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,308

Post#260 » by Bohemian » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:55 pm

I think Evan got himself a very good contract today. Fantastic game.

Also, Yabusele is playing great in Europe...still getting paid more than 1 million by the Celtics.

Return to Boston Celtics