ImageImageImage

New Starting Lineup and Rotation. Who do you want to play?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,139

Re: New Starting Lineup and Rotation. Who do you want to play? 

Post#101 » by Hal14 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:53 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:If you want to resign Fournier you start him. Fournier is not resigning in Boston for a bench role.

Why not?

He was averaging 30 mins a game this year in Orlando. I see no reason why he can't average the same amount as the 6th man for the Celtics.

Fournier is averaging 29 mins a game so far for the Celtics and that is likely to increase since a) more mins as he gets more comfortable with the new team, more reps and more practices under his belt and b) he would be averaging more mins in the games he's played so far but the last 2 games were blowouts so our top guys sat most of the 4th quarter.

I like the idea of starting Smart because we need his defense in the starting lineup and really set the tone from the get go with the defensive intensity. We need Fournier's scoring more off the bench so there's better balance and he can be in there scoring when we are resting Tatum/Brown/Kemba. Whether he starts or comes off the bench he's gonna play 30 mins a game like he did in Orlando..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#102 » by Hal14 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:07 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Celtics are 1-6 in their last 7 when Kemba sits out.

Yeah they are the 2nd games of back to backs. Hard to win those Kemba or not.

1) Last season the Celtics were 4-4 on the 2nd night of a back to back with Kemba in the lineup. That's a .500 winning %, compared to 1-6 in our last 7 games on 2nd night of back to back without Kemba, a .142 winning %. That's a massive difference.

2) Even if we look just at this season. We're 1-6 in the last 7 games where Kemba sits on 2nd night of back to back, which is a pathetic .142 winning %. In all of our other games combined we're 24-19, which is a .558 winning %. So a 14% chance of winning on 2nd night of back to backs without Kemba but we have a 56% chance of winning all of our other games. 56% is 4x better than 14%. I get that 2nd night of back to backs are harder, but are they 400% harder? I don't think so.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,825

Post#103 » by BK_2020 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:10 pm

8 game samples yo, don't take them so literally.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,860

Post#104 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:12 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:If you want to resign Fournier you start him. Fournier is not resigning in Boston for a bench role.

Why not?

He was averaging 30 mins a game this year in Orlando. I see no reason why he can't average the same amount as the 6th man for the Celtics.

He will resign if the price is right. Simple as that.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Hal14
RealGM

Post#105 » by Hal14 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:47 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Why not?

True. But at least we have his Bird Rights which makes it easier for us to match another's team's offer and retain him..
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#106 » by Ernest » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:18 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Ernest wrote:
darylbe wrote:At what point are Brad and kemba Gunna stop the nonsense with the off days? I get it, "healthy for post season."

But 1. That involves getting to the post season
2. Not getting Philly or Brooklyn round 1
3. Allowing for some continuity in playing together. The f-ing lineup inconsistency is more detrimental that the sore vagin'

Sort of applies to rotation, I swear lol

He's not playing back to backs all year. Been said many times. It's not a game by game thing. He was rushed back last year and didn't play well in the playoffs because of it.

Think big picture here. We need everyone at 100% for the playoffs. The only way I see anything changing is if he feels great and we are in danger of not making it or getting worse seeding if there are a back to back very close to the end.

We are at risk for getting a worse seeding. As of now we're the 7 seed and stuck in the play-in tournament.

We still have 5 more games which are 2nd night of a back to back. 2 of those 5 games are against the Knicks, who we are fighting with for playoff positioning. The Knicks are good. They have the no. 1 ranked defense in the league. Without Kemba we probably lose both games and lose the tie-breaker vs the Knicks.

Celtics are 1-6 in their last 7 when Kemba sits out.

Have some faith. We should be looking at the 4th seed not the 10th.

The goal now is to get the 4th or 5th seed to avoid one of the better teams in the first round.

But if we can't do that having to be without Kemba for 5 games, then what does it really matter?

We salvage the season if we go further in the playoffs than people expect us to. Show the league and future free agents we are still a good team. A healthy kemba there could help more than a tired Kemba in 5 extra games.

Also, we may want to trade him this summer. If he gets hurt that becomes harder/ brings back a worse trade. Minimizing risk of injurt to Kemba must be a big priority for the team and it is clear that it is as they are resting him all year despite some fans thinking, probably rightfully so that he looks healthy and could just play.

Again, it's big picture.
Ernest
Sixth Man

Post#107 » by Ernest » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:25 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Why not?

True. But at least we have his Bird Rights which makes it easier for us to match another's team's offer and retain him..

To me it's pretty clear we are keeping him. Ainge must have had the idea that if Fournier was a good fit, he would match any offer. Nothing is 100%, but I'd bet he is on the team next year.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#108 » by Hal14 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:38 pm

Ernest wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Ernest wrote:
He's not playing back to backs all year. Been said many times. It's not a game by game thing. He was rushed back last year and didn't play well in the playoffs because of it.

Think big picture here. We need everyone at 100% for the playoffs. The only way I see anything changing is if he feels great and we are in danger of not making it or getting worse seeding if there are a back to back very close to the end.

We are at risk for getting a worse seeding. As of now we're the 7 seed and stuck in the play-in tournament.

We still have 5 more games which are 2nd night of a back to back. 2 of those 5 games are against the Knicks, who we are fighting with for playoff positioning. The Knicks are good. They have the no. 1 ranked defense in the league. Without Kemba we probably lose both games and lose the tie-breaker vs the Knicks.

The goal now is to get the 4th or 5th seed to avoid one of the better teams in the first round.

But if we can't do that having to be without Kemba for 5 games, then what does it really matter?

We salvage the season if we go further in the playoffs than people expect us to. Show the league and future free agents we are still a good team. A healthy kemba there could help more than a tired Kemba in 5 extra games.

Also, we may want to trade him this summer. If he gets hurt that becomes harder/ brings back a worse trade. Minimizing risk of injurt to Kemba must be a big priority for the team and it is clear that it is as they are resting him all year despite some fans thinking, probably rightfully so that he looks healthy and could just play.

Again, it's big picture.

I get the big picture thing. And you're probably right, But

a) do you really think we can get the 4 seed (currently 1 game back from a 4th place tie, 2 games back of having sole possession with 3 teams we'd have to leap frog) if Kemba sits out 5 of our remaining games? Especially with us being 1-6 in the last 7 games without Kemba..

b) I highly doubt even if Kemba plays well in the playoffs anyone will be willing to take him in a trade. He has arguably the worst contract in the NBA considering he's locked in for 2 more years past this season at ascending money so he's due to make $38 mil in 2022-2023. Only 7 players in the NBA make more than that. No one will want to pay that much for a guy who's in decline, can't play defense, is undersized, old and has bad knees.
Ernest
Sixth Man

Post#109 » by Ernest » Tue Apr 6, 2021 7:15 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Ernest wrote:
Hal14 wrote:We are at risk for getting a worse seeding. As of now we're the 7 seed and stuck in the play-in tournament.

Again, it's big picture.

I get the big picture thing. And you're probably right, But

a) do you really think we can get the 4 seed (currently 1 game back from a 4th place tie, 2 games back of having sole possession with 3 teams we'd have to leap frog) if Kemba sits out 5 of our remaining games? Especially with us being 1-6 in the last 7 games without Kemba..

b) I highly doubt even if Kemba plays well in the playoffs anyone will be willing to take him in a trade. He has arguably the worst contract in the NBA considering he's locked in for 2 more years past this season at ascending money so he's due to make $38 mil in 2022-2023. Only 7 players in the NBA make more than that. No one will want to pay that much for a guy who's in decline, can't play defense, is undersized, old and has bad knees.

1. Yes I do. Just put together 5 or 6 wins in a row. win 70 or 80% of games for a small stretch. The teams in the east outseide the top 3 are not ver good.

2. Kemba's trade value is no where near as low as people around here think. We were happy to get him when we got him. He didn't get any taller. He didn't get better at D. Infact, aside from being someone you can post up, he gets steals and takes charges. A team that doesn't plan to win a title soon but needs a star will want him. He's a fan favorite. Always smiling. People need to sell tickets again. Look what Hayward got. This idea floated around here that we'd have to pay to get rid of him is Bonkers.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,636

Post#110 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Apr 6, 2021 7:35 pm

Kemba | Smart | Brown | Tatum | Timelord
Pritchard | Fournier | Langford | Grant | Kornet

Replace Grant w/ Semi and Kornet w/ TT for very specific matchups. Tighten to 8 or 9 guys in the playoffs.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#111 » by Hal14 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:38 pm

Thompson is back tonight. It'll be interesting to see how they split up mins between Thompson and Kornet.

Kornet has been solid but not amazing so far when he's been in there. Overall I've been pretty impressed, especially with his defense. Kornet can also space the floor better. Thompson is the veteran who also was solid but not amazing before he had COVID.

I imagine you keep giving Time Lord 25-30 mins. And give Thompson/Kornet get whatever's left..
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,482

Post#112 » by playa-hater » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:10 am

Hal14 wrote:Thompson is back tonight. It'll be interesting to see how they split up mins between Thompson and Kornet.

Kornet has been solid but not amazing so far when he's been in there. Overall I've been pretty impressed, especially with his defense. Kornet can also space the floor better. Thompson is the veteran who also was solid but not amazing before he had COVID.

I imagine you keep giving Time Lord 25-30 mins. And give Thompson/Kornet get whatever's left..

Even with TT's return and good game. I still like Kornet but definitely expect to see TT for the remainder.

the real question is how the Stevens plan on using Romeo going forward. Once Kemba and Fournier return, does Romeo go to the 9th-10 man spot? I would hate to see that.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,069

Post#113 » by keevsnick1 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:21 am

Well I think after tonights game you can start to see how the rotation will round out. Langford/Semi/Grant played 62 minutes this game which come playoff time will go to Kemba/Fournier.

Starters: Kemba-Smart-Brown-Tatum-Williams
Rotation: Pritchard-Fournier-Thompson
Fighting for ninth spot minutes: Langford-Semi-Grant

Who closes may be up for debate. Perhaps you replace Kemba or Smart with Fournier in certain matchups or even go REALLY small with Fournier in for Williams. Thompson has the backup big slots in a lot nicer than Thompson as a starter in two big lineups, but I am afraid Brad will overplay him or close with him more than he should.

None of Langford-Semi-Grant are GREAT options for the last rotation spot, but having threes guys fighting for it gives you a shot one plays well and breaks out down the stretch. They also each give you slightly different skills/positional defense. Romeo at the 1-3, Semi at the 3/4 and Grant as a small ball five.

At least the team makes more sense. No more two big lineups. One less small guard in Teague to play. More scoring with Fournier on the bench. The one issue is we could really use one more competent large wing player, because right now we are pretty small.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#114 » by Hal14 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:21 pm

playa-hater wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Thompson is back tonight. It'll be interesting to see how they split up mins between Thompson and Kornet.

Even with TT's return and good game. I still like Kornet but definitely expect to see TT for the remainder.

the real question is how the Stevens plan on using Romeo going forward. Once Kemba and Fournier return, does Romeo go to the 9th-10 man spot? I would hate to see that.

Honestly I think it's pretty obvious. Our top 6 guys are (in no order) Tatum Brown Time Lord Kemba Fournier Smart.

After that I'd say Thompson. If he keeps playing like he did last night, he's gotta get minutes.

After that, it's Pritchard and Langford as your 8/9 guys. IMO that is actually a really solid 9 man rotation. Once Fournier is back, if we can string together some games with all 9 of these guys playing, watch out. We could take off.

Kornet is right there, basically on same tier as Pritchard/Langford, maybe a hair behind them. But. you're not going to rotate 3 centers - Kornet gets minutes only if there's injuries/foul trouble with Time Lord/Thompson.

I think with how condensed the games are together you've got rotate at least 9 guys, often 10.

Firmly below those aforementioned 10 guys is this tier: Grant, Semi, Nesmith, Wagner. I don't really want to see these 4 getting meaningful minutes - and I'd rather see Nesmith/Wagner in there. At least they can both hit shots, hustle, they're a threat to put the ball on the floor (Semi and Grant, they get the ball on the perimeter and it's literally either they take a spot up 3 or they look all scared as they desperately look to pass to someone, they literally can't even dribble the ball vs pressure, let alone finish inside on a defender)

Unfortunately Stevens doesn't see the rotation this way. He plays Grant and Semi way too much, especially Grant. Both of them are at the bottom of the team's rankings in literally ever advanced stat category. Yes, we don't have a legit 4 man (it's our biggest need this offseason). But Tatum is 6'8" and has a higher rebounding % than both Semi and Grant (who are only 6'6), and Brown has also shown good strength and tenacity when defending bigger guys down low. Tatum and Brown are your 4's on this team. You make sure 1 of them is on the court at all times (you have to do that anyways for offensive balance purposes). If there's a short stretch with both of them off the court I think you play Langford at the 4 (6'10 wingspan, 43 inch vertical higher rebounding % than Semi, about same rebounding % Grant)..
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,232

Post#115 » by djFan71 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:57 pm

I'm ok with Grant OR Semi getting the 10th man minutes. I just hate lineups with both of them.

Return to Boston Celtics