ImageImageImage

The real reason Theis was traded

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Re: The real reason Theis was traded 

Post#21 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:18 am

aussie_pride wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:
aussie_pride wrote:I've always felt that Brad has had a thing against players who cannot shoot. If you want to play on a Brad Stevens team then you need to have a jump shot of some description. Whether or not you agree with that is another matter all together. However, if you look at all the big men who have played on the Celtics in Steven's tenure, all those who could shoot were kept and those who couldn't were moved on. It is kind of a dumb attitude to have as it means you are not making best use of the talent at your disposal. For me, that is why someone like Quinn Snyder is coach of the year - because he can get a team functioning offensively and defensively based on what he has available. This obviously includes a rim protector who cannot shoot in Rudy Gobert. I have no idea why we cannot do something similar. Its not brain surgery when it comes to teams who will play 5 out in order to draw the rim protector away from the basket; you just have to pre-rotate a toucher quicker to ensure the open-man is contested!

Quinn Snyder has the best shooting team in the NBA with the most attempted threes in the league. I would be very surprised if Brad Stevens couldn't win with Rudy Gobert, too, who is like one of the ten best players in the NBA by nearly any overall metric. He plays Tristan Thompson a ton and he can't even shoot from dunking range.

They have the best shooting team because of the way they play and the way they play is down to the coach. Most players in the league can shoot the ball these days; for me it is all about implementing a system based on the strengths of the players that you have on your roster.

Well I think the way they play is because they have players capable of playing like that. Can you imagine Jaylen Brown passing the ball or shooting like Joe Ingles? If you took the combined rosters and ranked the players based on passing ability, the Jazz would have the top 5 players most likely.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#22 » by celticfan42487 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:23 am

themoneyteam2 wrote:
Bad-Thoma wrote:
jumblin wrote:
So they got rid of their starting center so their backup who can't play more minutes has to play more minutes?

No. They got rid of their starting center to get under the repeater penalty, they weren't likely to be able to resign him in the offseason anyways.

It’s been well documented over the past few days why they got rid of him lol I’m shocked people still don’t understand why they did it. Or maybe they do but it wouldn’t fit the narrative.

Don’t have to agree with the move at all but the reason they did it was pretty **** obvious lmao

Right, this is extremely unwwarrented and off base.

And if you don't like RW3 being on minutes restriction than may I introduce you to his entire NBA career?

1rst year: 32 games played
2nd year: 29 games played
This year: 38 games played

He's never had a season where he's even stayed healthy long enough to play HALF a **** year.

He's an injury waiting to happen and a bonehead. The team is just doing the best they can to try and find a way to get this guy to be available for 80% of a season inlcuding playoffs at least instead of throwing him out for full minutes as soon as they can and having him miss 70% of yet another season.

But if your plan is to rely on Robert Williams to be available then you've got an awful plan. Just count your blessings the rare times he is actually fully fit and healthy to play in games.
aussie_pride
Junior
And1: 190

Post#23 » by aussie_pride » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:27 am

Bleeding Green wrote:
aussie_pride wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:Quinn Snyder has the best shooting team in the NBA with the most attempted threes in the league. I would be very surprised if Brad Stevens couldn't win with Rudy Gobert, too, who is like one of the ten best players in the NBA by nearly any overall metric. He plays Tristan Thompson a ton and he can't even shoot from dunking range.

They have the best shooting team because of the way they play and the way they play is down to the coach. Most players in the league can shoot the ball these days; for me it is all about implementing a system based on the strengths of the players that you have on your roster.

Well I think the way they play is because they have players capable of playing like that. Can you imagine Jaylen Brown passing the ball or shooting like Joe Ingles? If you took the combined rosters and ranked the players based on passing ability, the Jazz would have the top 5 players most likely.

I can imagine Jaylen Brown passing the ball like Ingles. Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum are very capable passers of the ball; its not that they can't do it, it is more that they don't do it. I've said it a few times on here, I preferred the way that Tatum played in his first two season compared to now because he moved the ball more and made correct basketball plays. The thing with the modern NBA though is that everyone is fixated on scoring; its like if you aren't scoring then you are not contributing. For me rebounding is the most important aspect of the game followed closely by defence.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,232

Post#24 » by LewisnotMiller » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:31 am

jumblin wrote:Image

Look at the names around the dude. You might say 17 minutes a game is too small a sample...but the real question is why is a guy with that PER only playing 17m a game?! All the other guys on that list are 30-35m players and considered the best players in the league. I'm not saying RW is one of the best in the league, but man that PER and the company around him is hard to ignore.

If trading Theis results in RW's minutes getting doubled...its almost like we just aquired an All-Star, from a PER perspective. Danny got tired of Brad giving Theis minutes that could be going to be a much better player and forced his hand. Im excited about this team now for the first time this season.

It's partly this. But I think it's also simply that Theis will get fairly paid this offseason, and he's not who we'd go into luxury tax over.

Good luck to him, though. Perfect first big off the bench for a good team, and I always liked him.
Ill News
General Manager
And1: 16,306

Post#25 » by Ill News » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:19 am

jumblin wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:If you need to trade a player for this reason, the coach should be launched out of a cannon. And the GM should be strung up because he signed Tristan Thompson.

Did you see Brad's press conference after the Milwaukee win? Reporter asked about RW impact and Brad was literally like, "Yeah well having a shot blocker make the rest of our defense play worse because they think RW will bail them out".

Had nothing positive to say about Rob at all after a outstanding game and one of the best wins of the year. Brad had a bizarre attachment to Theis and a equally bizarre dislike of Rob.

Talk about cherry-picking quotes then twisting them to suit your biased views.

That was a typical Brad Stevens press conference, I didn't hear anything close to him taking a backhanded swipe at Rob. That quote you mentioned was actually him saying something positive about Time Lord indirectly, in that he's so good at protecting the rim that it might make our perimeter players complacent. Nothing wrong with that.

And did you seriously just ignore everything Brad said about Time Lord, in response to the next question? Here's what he had to say in that video you linked, I transcribed it for you:

Brad Stevens wrote:"I'm assuming he was comfortable with how everything went tonight, as we certainly were. He did a good job, I don't think it's a surprise. The scoring opportunity won't be there as much in the starting lineup because you're playing against the best players every night. But I thought he did a great job impacting the game with his rebounding and his passing. He's certainly a threat down there in the rim, people have to account for him."

Sounds like high praise to me. Or were you expecting Brad to jerk off excitedly while talking about Rob? Ridiculous.
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,724

Post#26 » by Slax » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:18 pm

Ill News wrote:
jumblin wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:If you need to trade a player for this reason, the coach should be launched out of a cannon. And the GM should be strung up because he signed Tristan Thompson.

Did you see Brad's press conference after the Milwaukee win? Reporter asked about RW impact and Brad was literally like, "Yeah well having a shot blocker make the rest of our defense play worse because they think RW will bail them out".

Had nothing positive to say about Rob at all after a outstanding game and one of the best wins of the year. Brad had a bizarre attachment to Theis and a equally bizarre dislike of Rob.

Talk about cherry-picking quotes then twisting them to suit your biased views.

That was a typical Brad Stevens press conference, I didn't hear anything close to him taking a backhanded swipe at Rob. That quote you mentioned was actually him saying something positive about Time Lord indirectly, in that he's so good at protecting the rim that it might make our perimeter players complacent. Nothing wrong with that.

And did you seriously just ignore everything Brad said about Time Lord, in response to the next question? Here's what he had to say in that video you linked, I transcribed it for you:

Brad Stevens wrote:"I'm assuming he was comfortable with how everything went tonight, as we certainly were. He did a good job, I don't think it's a surprise. The scoring opportunity won't be there as much in the starting lineup because you're playing against the best players every night. But I thought he did a great job impacting the game with his rebounding and his passing. He's certainly a threat down there in the rim, people have to account for him."

Sounds like high praise to me. Or were you expecting Brad to jerk off excitedly while talking about Rob? Ridiculous.

Yeah if someone purports that a professional NBA coach is saying something obviously ridiculous, you should all go and listen to it yourself instead of piling on. Like just go to that YouTube link and listen to his response to the Koralis question and tell me he was taking swipes at Rob.

I DO think it's true that he hasn't been getting enough minutes and that that's a problem and it's fair to criticise Brad for that, but this weird over the top suggestion that he has some personal vendetta that is preventing him from even providing any praise is kind of silly.
Dangit
Starter
And1: 1,921

Post#27 » by Dangit » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:26 pm

The agenda here is absolutely trash ....
Postby YouthMovement on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:09 pm

im 19 and i can say paul pierce ruined my childhood
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#28 » by Ernest » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:00 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:Or if you’ve paid even a little bit attention this year it’s because Ainge has said multiple times Robert Williams can only handle 25 MPG right now due to his hip condition and trying to ramp up his minutes for the playoffs.

But yes I know it would kill the narrative by bringing in the facts.

It's almost like there is a gas leak in this forum.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#29 » by Ernest » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:04 pm

Bad-Thoma wrote:
jumblin wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:Or if you’ve paid even a little bit attention this year it’s because Ainge has said multiple times Robert Williams can only handle 25 MPG right now due to his hip condition and trying to ramp up his minutes for the playoffs.

But yes I know it would kill the narrative by bringing in the facts.

So they got rid of their starting center so their backup who can't play more minutes has to play more minutes?

No. They got rid of their starting center to get under the repeater penalty, they weren't likely to be able to resign him in the offseason anyways.

Why even bother trying to educated these guys? It's so obvious and has been stated so many times before. They are just not interested in reality.
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,398

Post#30 » by Jaqua92 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:40 pm

Ernest wrote:
Bad-Thoma wrote:
jumblin wrote:

Why even bother trying to educated these guys? It's so obvious and has been stated so many times before. They are just not interested in reality.
The irony of fans patronizing fellow fans for their takes..

This forum is bad, but it's not just because of the negative takes etc. The obnoxious superiority complexes some "real" fans have here, and their toxic reactions to unfavorable takes plays just as much of a role. Don't act like the people you are taking about are the exclusive problem. Reactions such as yours here are just as toxic to a social community as the people you are attacking. The difference, is YOU guys are the ones making it personal with your patronizing insults. I've been personally insulted, and have had my character attacked by someone here who is actually well liked, and who seems to have developed a genuine hatred of me because of some of my takes. I won't say who, but he knows who he is. I had to reach out to moderators to address this and intervene. Some of you guys are brutal.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
sportfan6197
Senior
And1: 321

Post#31 » by sportfan6197 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:38 pm

JHTruth wrote:
jumblin wrote:

Brad doesn't appreciate players like Rob (athletic, talented, Actual NBA players). Prime Shaq would play 15 mins a night on a Stevens team. Theis was his ultimate achievement. Grant Williams. Now Kornet probably.

Brad like most coaches thinks the success of the team is his brilliant schemes and coaching, not the talent of the players. I guarantee TT will start when he gets back. He basically said "he's used to having bigs with some skills that can shoot a little".

I hope Brad leaves

lmao you sound so bitter
sportfan6197
Senior
And1: 321

Post#32 » by sportfan6197 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:39 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:
Ernest wrote:
Bad-Thoma wrote:

The irony of fans patronizing fellow fans for their takes..

This forum is bad, but it's not just because of the negative takes etc. The obnoxious superiority complexes some "real" fans have here, and their toxic reactions to unfavorable takes plays just as much of a role. Don't act like the people you are taking about are the exclusive problem. Reactions such as yours here are just as toxic to a social community as the people you are attacking. The difference, is YOU guys are the ones making it personal with your patronizing insults. I've been personally insulted, and have had my character attacked by someone here who is actually well liked, and who seems to have developed a genuine hatred of me because of some of my takes. I won't say who, but he knows who he is. I had to reach out to moderators to address this and intervene. Some of you guys are brutal.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

everything in this post explains why the guy you quoted is 100% correct.
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,366

Post#33 » by tlee324 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:19 pm

JHTruth wrote: Theis was his ultimate achievement. Grant Williams. Now Kornet probably.

I think Smart is Brad's best achievement.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#34 » by ParticleMan » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:26 pm

I think this thread has run its course.

Return to Boston Celtics