ImageImageImage

Fire Brad Stevens.

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Re: Fire Brad Stevens. 

Post#301 » by moonie_mcgee » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:54 am

Hal14 wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:
Hal14 wrote:LMAO, love how you quoted me but removed all of the stuff in my post that proves you wrong..

You were wrong from the get go. Isn't that enough.

LOL, so instead of actually making an argument with any type of substance, you just say "but you're wrong!" and that's it. what a joke, a troll, a clown.

I'm not gonna argue with you dude.
I made my points in other posts.
Go ahead and get the last word.
That's the Way of the World
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#302 » by Ernest » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:43 pm

moonie_mcgee wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:
You were wrong from the get go. Isn't that enough.

LOL, so instead of actually making an argument with any type of substance, you just say "but you're wrong!" and that's it. what a joke, a troll, a clown.

lol

Anyways, I guess we can take the Brad won't play Nesmith gripe off the table. He looked good tonight after getting no love from the refs call after call. It was smart of Brad to use his challenge on Nesmith. It didn't work but Nesmith was really hustling out there and Brad using it on him kind of showed support. That is good coaching and player development. I guess we probably won't fire him after all.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#303 » by djFan71 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:49 pm

Ernest wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:
Hal14 wrote:LOL, so instead of actually making an argument with any type of substance, you just say "but you're wrong!" and that's it. what a joke, a troll, a clown.

lol

Anyways, I guess we can take the Brad won't play Nesmith gripe off the table. He looked good tonight after getting no love from the refs call after call. It was smart of Brad to use his challenge on Nesmith. It didn't work but Nesmith was really hustling out there and Brad using it on him kind of showed support. That is good coaching and player development. I guess we probably won't fire him after all.

I agree with this point. I think when a dude's busting his butt and is that fired up about a call showing some support is a good idea. It's not like he nails the challenges anyways, so using one every now and then to support a player playing the right way is nice.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#304 » by Ernest » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:03 pm

djFan71 wrote:
Ernest wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:

lol

I agree with this point. I think when a dude's busting his butt and is that fired up about a call showing some support is a good idea. It's not like he nails the challenges anyways, so using one every now and then to support a player playing the right way is nice.

Development is still a key thing for Brad. He left Waters in for a long time after PP got the bloody nose. Waters was in over his head and really hurting us play after play. I was thinking if it were me I'd be so tempted to pull him out. But Brad doesn't really work that way. It's like a numbers thing. He knows what percent of the time you will mess up, he knows how many minutes you need to develop. He;s not the kind of coach that gets angry at his players and pulls them. And it worked. While Waters did hurt us for a bit there he had a good game for what was asked of him in relation to his talent level. He didn't look scared at all out there.

A lot of the hate on Brad for not playing certain players is just people not understanding how he operates. Guys need real minutes to develop and we have a lot of guys that are around the same level. Grant Semi and Romeo didn't play tonight. It wasn't a punishment. Brad just does things by turn in a way. In the Cha game he gave Waters and Nesmith 55 minutes. We have a few games left to give guys real looks to see who is going to play when it counts.
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#305 » by moonie_mcgee » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:23 pm

Waters was fine considering he started and usually sits on the bench to the right of Tacko Active on defense. Some good passes and shots. Should get more playing time. Tacko too.
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,369

Post#306 » by Red2 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:34 pm

I think the motion offense/ 3 ball offense is difficult to win with unless you have steph curry and klay thompson. There is way too much weight on outside shooting. I would prefer a more diversified offense where we play inside out and get tonthe line more . Also more fast breaks. I think what happens to our team all tje time is that we cant score and then we lose our focus on D. If tje shots arent falling we stop defending. In the past that wasnt a problem but now it is
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#307 » by moonie_mcgee » Sat May 1, 2021 3:56 am

Well its 141-140 and its official. I hate, Hate HATE Brad Stevens coaching the Boston Celtics. He's killing our players. Why not just spot the other team 30 points every frickin night. It doesn't have to be this hard - with this team - to win a game. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#308 » by moonie_mcgee » Sat May 1, 2021 4:05 am

Nice call at the end ref. I'm telling you flat out. This team will compete with ANY TEAM IN THE NBA if lead with new leadership on the bench. I'm DONE with this development bull. I want to win now. Find the next Larry Brown and stop with this cardiac chaos.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,156

Post#309 » by Hal14 » Sat May 1, 2021 7:18 pm

31to6 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:
Festurs wrote:

Mike Dantoni

Mike will be 70 in a week and is not going to leave his cushy job coaching Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving and James Harden so he can try to convince Jayson Tatum that the midrange shot is not the goal.

James Posey
working as a HC in G-league after being assistant in the NBA
Celtic champion and notably tough/rugged competitor
would get JT and JB's ears for at least a few minutes, which is different than Brad going forward

I'm genuinely curious, had you already seen this article before commenting about Posey being a good potential head coach candidate?

https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/nba-rumors-steve-nash-brooklyn-nets-james-posey-head-coach-hired-kevin-durant-kyrie-irving-steve-kerr-search-sean-marks

At halftime last night, I was really starting to think firing Stevens might be the right thing to do. But since we came back and won, now I'm not so sure.

I was still curious about your comment though, so I just googled "James Posey NBA coach" and came across he above article. I've gotta say, reading that article made me really impressed with Posey. He is saying all the right things in that article. He really seems to get "it". He understands the importance of putting together good game plans and scouting reports together, he understands how much time needs to be put in to do them, he understands the importance of the relationship the HC has with the star player and how to gain the star player's trust. And he really seems passionate about coaching. And Boston might be one of the places he considers coaching since it's 2 of the 2 franchises he won a ring with (and he won a ring in BOS more recently than the ring he won in MIA)..

Looks like he hasn't coached since 2017, though?
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
LuckyLeprechaun
Rookie
And1: 1,333

Post#310 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Sat May 1, 2021 7:22 pm

moonie_mcgee wrote:Well its 141-140 and its official. I hate, Hate HATE Brad Stevens coaching the Boston Celtics. He's killing our players. Why not just spot the other team 30 points every frickin night. It doesn't have to be this hard - with this team - to win a game. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Imagine if Brad's team was the one that blew the 30 point lead. Fire Popovich. :)
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,548

Post#311 » by playa-hater » Sat May 1, 2021 7:38 pm

LuckyLeprechaun wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:Well its 141-140 and its official. I hate, Hate HATE Brad Stevens coaching the Boston Celtics. He's killing our players. Why not just spot the other team 30 points every frickin night. It doesn't have to be this hard - with this team - to win a game. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Imagine if Brad's team was the one that blew the 30 point lead. Fire Popovich. :)

I never understood this line of thought. Has Brad Stevens won 5 5itles? And I do believe San Antonio has had only one lottery pick in the.top 10 , although Tim Duncan, In the last 20 years
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
robdog_5
Veteran
And1: 2,155

Post#312 » by robdog_5 » Sat May 1, 2021 8:07 pm

playa-hater wrote:
LuckyLeprechaun wrote:

I never understood this line of thought. Has Brad Stevens won 5 5itles? And I do believe San Antonio has had only one lottery pick in the.top 10 , although Tim Duncan, In the last 20 years

Only one of best 3 players of his Era that many would say is the best. (Shaq and Kobe)
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#313 » by 31to6 » Sat May 1, 2021 8:59 pm

Hal14 wrote:
31to6 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:Mike will be 70 in a week and is not going to leave his cushy job coaching Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving and James Harden so he can try to convince Jayson Tatum that the midrange shot is not the goal.

James Posey
working as a HC in G-league after being assistant in the NBA
Celtic champion and notably tough/rugged competitor
would get JT and JB's ears for at least a few minutes, which is different than Brad going forward

I'm genuinely curious, had you already seen this article before commenting about Posey being a good potential head coach candidate?

https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/nba-rumors-steve-nash-brooklyn-nets-james-posey-head-coach-hired-kevin-durant-kyrie-irving-steve-kerr-search-sean-marks

At halftime last night, I was really starting to think firing Stevens might be the right thing to do. But since we came back and won, now I'm not so sure.

I was still curious about your comment though, so I just googled "James Posey NBA coach" and came across he above article. I've gotta say, reading that article made me really impressed with Posey. He is saying all the right things in that article. He really seems to get "it". He understands the importance of putting together good game plans and scouting reports together, he understands how much time needs to be put in to do them, he understands the importance of the relationship the HC has with the star player and how to gain the star player's trust. And he really seems passionate about coaching. And Boston might be one of the places he considers coaching since it's 2 of the 2 franchises he won a ring with (and he won a ring in BOS more recently than the ring he won in MIA)..

Looks like he hasn't coached since 2017, though?

Yes. When I get to “fire Brad” status, which is mostly where I hang out, James Posey is my 100% serious suggestion to replace him.

We probably won’t fire Brad, he’ll go grow old in some college program I hope, but permanent marriages in the NBA are stupid and I think Posey is the sort of “next voice” that could be really good for this team.

Maybe Brad gets us to the promised land but I’d be hella surprised. If I’m JT or JB though and I watch two minutes of James Posey on YouTube, I’m going into practice with my ears open for the first time in ages.

Celtics fans never forget:
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
LuckyLeprechaun
Rookie
And1: 1,333

Post#314 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Sat May 1, 2021 11:29 pm

playa-hater wrote:
LuckyLeprechaun wrote:

My comment was tongue in cheek, thus the " :) ". What's not to understand?
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,156

Post#315 » by Hal14 » Sun May 2, 2021 12:19 am

playa-hater wrote:
LuckyLeprechaun wrote:

But firing the guy who just came back from a 32 point deficit (3rd biggest comeback in NBA history) to beat the guy who has 5 titles makes total sense? :roll:
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#316 » by cloverleaf » Fri May 7, 2021 2:22 am

I just saw a clip of Perk on nbcsportsboston noting how good things actually happen whenever Tacko gets a few minutes in a game, and I swear I'd love to see him as the C's coach next year. Rondo and Cassell could be his top two assistants. KG should be brought into the ownership anyway. But Perk gets it, was a respected wise lockerroom elder in his latter playing years, and I think is a man who does his own thinking, though also can listen to others. Then is a no-nonsense but emotionally smart communicator.

I'm over Brad and ready to see the team coached by Perk next season.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,548

Post#317 » by playa-hater » Fri May 7, 2021 3:20 am

At this point of the season, my focus is elsewhere and Not Brad Stevens. but when this all ends at some point, I hope that people can have a true and honest discussion and not let feelings one way or the other affect their opinions.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#318 » by Spin Move » Fri May 7, 2021 5:16 am

I don't think Brad should be fired but I think he shares one of the largest blame shares outstanding out of injury/covid (which is the biggest reason our record is not better) Brad is a great X's and O's coach, however his lineup and rotation choices have been awful this season. Danny had to trade away Thies to force Brad to play timelord, he kept playing guys like Semi and Carson Edwards and to a lesser extent Grant Williams (who does deserve some PT) over Nesmith once Nesmith figured out the D. The twin towers lineups at the start of the year were clearly not working and avoided the strengths of this team but he kept using them way too long costing us 2 or 3 games down that might be super important down the stretch. He bears some of the responsibility for the team not palying with energy though large chunks of the season but the players bear more.

Brad can do better, the shortened off season and condensed schedule eliminated practice time where a good coach can make a huge difference especially with young players. The biggest problem with this team has been health, but I do think Brad could have done better. again, not saying fire him, I am saying he can be better then he was this year.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#319 » by ParticleMan » Fri May 7, 2021 7:38 am

^^ agreed this has probably been one of brad's worst years coaching. admittedly it's been a very difficult year for a lot of reasons, so i'm willing to give him another year to see what he can do with hopefully a healthy team and a set rotation. but he's got to do better next year.

i'm not too bent on his rotations, they haven't been good but let's face it if you're trotting out 9th and 10th men as starters there is no way your team is going to look good. theis/thompson/TL was a disaster, and ainge fixed that, but it's not like brad had much better options on the bench -- grant? semi? he gave all the young guys chances, even tremont, even nesmith early in the year, and besides occasional flashes they all basically sucked except PP. then having tatum when he was 70% at best post-covid, kemba not playing b2b's, guys in and out of protocol. i mean, the whole year was just a cluster **** in terms of the rotations. maybe brad could have done better with 20/20 hindsight but he was given a pupu platter to work with. i don't think it's fair to judge him too harshly on that.

no -- my problem with brad has been that the team simply hasn't played with consistent effort level night in and night out. i don't care who's out there, the effort and focus have to be there every night, particularly on the defensive end. we've had too many games where the team just looks like its going thru the motions. if it's an odd instance you can blame the players, but if it's happening time and time again you have to look at the coach.

i feel like some guys have tuned him out, and brad is too mild mannered to rein them in. marcus is a warrior but i feel like he does his own thing too much out there, and brad won't confront that. sure, all these guys are supposed to be grown ass professionals but the fact is an nba coach's job is in large part to manage egos and make sure everyone is playing to the benefit of the team. we've seen brad get everyone on board in years past, and it's a sight to behold. this year, it basically hasn't happened. our blowouts have been when we shot the ball well, or the opponent missed open shots. it's not a consistent way to win.

i think brad is an excellent x-and-o coach. but i am starting to wonder if he has the cojones to take a team to a title.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,692

Post#320 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri May 7, 2021 9:47 am

ParticleMan wrote:^^ agreed this has probably been one of brad's worst years coaching. admittedly it's been a very difficult year for a lot of reasons, so i'm willing to give him another year to see what he can do with hopefully a healthy team and a set rotation. but he's got to do better next year.

i'm not too bent on his rotations, they haven't been good but let's face it if you're trotting out 9th and 10th men as starters there is no way your team is going to look good. theis/thompson/TL was a disaster, and ainge fixed that, but it's not like brad had much better options on the bench -- grant? semi? he gave all the young guys chances, even tremont, even nesmith early in the year, and besides occasional flashes they all basically sucked except PP. then having tatum when he was 70% at best post-covid, kemba not playing b2b's, guys in and out of protocol. i mean, the whole year was just a cluster **** in terms of the rotations. maybe brad could have done better with 20/20 hindsight but he was given a pupu platter to work with. i don't think it's fair to judge him too harshly on that.

no -- my problem with brad has been that the team simply hasn't played with consistent effort level night in and night out. i don't care who's out there, the effort and focus have to be there every night, particularly on the defensive end. we've had too many games where the team just looks like its going thru the motions. if it's an odd instance you can blame the players, but if it's happening time and time again you have to look at the coach.

i feel like some guys have tuned him out, and brad is too mild mannered to rein them in. marcus is a warrior but i feel like he does his own thing too much out there, and brad won't confront that. sure, all these guys are supposed to be grown ass professionals but the fact is an nba coach's job is in large part to manage egos and make sure everyone is playing to the benefit of the team. we've seen brad get everyone on board in years past, and it's a sight to behold. this year, it basically hasn't happened. our blowouts have been when we shot the ball well, or the opponent missed open shots. it's not a consistent way to win.

i think brad is an excellent x-and-o coach. but i am starting to wonder if he has the cojones to take a team to a title.

A fair challenge.

His half-court defensive schemes are switching-heavy, and that approaches presupposes that guys play with great effort. Transition defense has always required effort, and all the more so when a team is aggressive about offensive rebounding, as the Celtics currently are. His offensive schemes require moderate amounts of effort (drives, relocations, etc.).

Effort, obviously, has much too often been lacking.

Yes, personnel and all that have been problematic. But he should have prioritized effort more highly than he is, even if it required stunts like playing garbage-time lineups outside of garbage time and telling his regular rotation guys why he had to do that.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".

Return to Boston Celtics