ImageImageImage

Fire Brad Stevens.

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,152

Re: Fire Brad Stevens. 

Post#361 » by Hal14 » Mon May 10, 2021 2:59 pm

BK_2020 wrote:We should go grab Greg Foster from the Pacers.
Holds people accountable, willing to get in players' faces and publicly humiliate them.
He's precisely the kind of coach who can motivate today's soft NBA players.

Any evidence (videos, articles, etc.) to support Foster doing any of those things?

Edit: Ok, I'm seeing a bunch of vids now from a few days ago where Foster got into a heated confrontation with a Pacers bench player. Is that all you're basing your post on?
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
mwhis21
Analyst
And1: 1,065

Post#362 » by mwhis21 » Mon May 10, 2021 2:59 pm

greenroom31 wrote:
robdog_5 wrote:
Spoiler:
greenroom31 wrote:For the posters who support Brad I’d be curious to hear what you think he does well — meaning, to merit keeping the job.

One approach I use to evaluate my reports at work is to ask: “knowing what I know about this employee, would I hire them today for their role?” If the answer is no you should be managing them to address their issues, or letting them go.

Point is, the decision to keep Brad shouldn’t just come down to the fact that he’s currently the coach. And sure we’ve had health issues but so has virtually every other team in the league. Tatum has played 60 games, Jaylen 58, and they’re our two most important guys by far.

The complaints are well documented and not just from this year. He’s a weak leader who doesn’t hold players accountable. He shows no fire. He doesn’t have a regular rotation. I mean look at today — there is zero excuse for playing Edwards in this game. Pritchard and Nesmith were both available.

Brad seems like a tremendous human being but this is the **** NBA. This isn’t about participation trophies and every kid gets a chance to play. At some point you’re either serious about winning or you’re not, and if I was Wyc I’d have real heartburn about how this year has gone.

Ok I posted in the beginning of this thread and in all honestly I'm a big Brad fan. Admittedly I'm a coach homer most likely because I am one and have been for almost 20 years. So I usually side with coaches.

I also said if Brad has "lost" the locker room and mostly Brown and Tatum he almost has to go. Maybe they need a new voice.

But I can also answer these type questions rather easy.

What has Brad done?
I think Brad has done a good job of getting guys to play better than their talent/or perceived limits. Examples:IT, Evan Turner, Jae Crowder (been good but really bust on to scene with Brad), Theis, Baynes

Win 56% of games and easily over 60% after the 1st season in which he had a NBADL roster.

Get to 3 EConf finals in last 4 years. Besides Celtics think only GSW and Lebrons have been that consistently good.

Up until this year been one of best defensive teams all while having smaller avg height on rosters. (Defense more than offense points to coaching).

Good at ATO, SLOBS and BLOBS. Not as good last few years but been overall one of tops in league.

During those 3 ECF teams he's had the go to guy be 3 different guys. Meaning he hasn't had a Steph, Harden, Lebron who takes his team deep every year. Done it with different casts and leaders.

The question of is Brad a good coach isn't good or to be honest an intelligent question. The right question is Brad the right coach for the Celtics moving forward. I'm not sure where I fall at the moment. I do think Brad deserves one more season after this in which he gets to practice and hopefully won't have a moving chairs of whose available.

Thanks for the reply and answering my question. A few players have definitely thrived under Brad though most of your examples above are not recent (IT, Evan Turner, Crowder, Baynes). I think that Brad came to the Celtics with a bunch of intrigue and hype, and established himself as a positive leader with good ATO plays and an excellent work ethic. His early (successful) teams were largely comprised of underdogs with a chip on their shoulder.

Then in 2017-18 we landed Hayward and Kyrie and while we've had plenty of talent, you could argue that the team has actually underperformed relative to talent. Since 2018-2019 it's been a borderline toxic environment, with Kyrie and Hayward at times openly unhappy. It's easy to blame everything on Kyrie, but he's been gone for 2 years and the bad vibes and lack of energy continue. At some point you have to question leadership and ask what the coaching staff is doing (or not doing) to create or allow this culture.

My take is that Brad doesn't know how to manage strong personalities and "star" players. He tries to keep everyone happy and is scared to make tough decisions. Take a guy like Tristan Thompson -- he's a try-hard vet, but he clogs the paint and can't pass or dribble. Also we had RW3 making an obvious case for more time. Instead of recognizing that and playing RW3 and moving Theis/Tristan to the bench, Brad continued to start Theis and Tristan until Ainge literally had to trade Theis away.

How much has Semi played this year? You're telling me those minutes wouldn't have been better spent getting Nesmith more run and play through his mistakes? What about Pritchard's minutes and how much time Teague was getting early this year... until Ainge had to trade him away again to keep Brad from playing him. Yesterday Brad decided to bring in Carsen out of the blue over Nesmith and Pritchard. Carsen isn't even an NBA level player and we're in the must-win stage of the season.

Even if you defend some of these individual moves, the bigger point is that the rotations are just insanely inconsistent. There's a random bag of Prichard, Nesmith, Grant, Carsen, Tremont, Semi, Kornet, Romeo, Jabari that could be picked to play at any given moment. Hell, Tacko even got called on in the 3rd quarter the other night for a decent stretch. This isn't game 5. It's game 68.

Then look at our defense. We can't stay in front of anyone on the perimeter, we don't switch or rotate particularly well and we can't defend the rim when RW3 is out. Teams regularly just switch their best scorer onto Kemba and have a field day and we have no countermove. On offense we have very little movement -- passing or motion. It's a little better when RW3 is out there, but most of the time it's just Tatum/Brown/Kemba taking turns while other guys stand by the 3pt line. How about some picks, screens, cuts? It's a super lazy offense.

So poor leadership, poor/inconsistent rotations, poor defense, poor offensive system. I view those all as reflecting on the coach personally. Not that it's ALL the coaches fault, but that a good coach should positively impact each of these areas.

It's 100% fair to say that Brad can't handle "Star Personalities" and maybe the team has outgrown his ability to manage it. But your entire analysis above seems very agendaish.

Like 90% of what you said should be laid at Ainge's feet, not Brad's feet.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,025

Post#363 » by Bad-Thoma » Mon May 10, 2021 3:06 pm

This season may have gone over like a ghost pepper enema but in previous seasons, other than the Kyrie cancer season, the team has generally overachieved and most importantly been very good defensively. We've covered the possible reasons for the step backwards ad nauseum so I won't waste my time, my take on Brad is next season being a do or die with getting the team back to consistently playing with effort and defensive intensity. This year is an anomaly in too many ways for me to write him off quite yet, however if things continue like this under normal circumstances I'd admit to it being time for a change and I really like Brad as a coach.
robdog_5
Veteran
And1: 2,155

Post#364 » by robdog_5 » Mon May 10, 2021 3:21 pm

greenroom31 wrote:
robdog_5 wrote:
Spoiler:
greenroom31 wrote:For the posters who support Brad I’d be curious to hear what you think he does well — meaning, to merit keeping the job.

One approach I use to evaluate my reports at work is to ask: “knowing what I know about this employee, would I hire them today for their role?” If the answer is no you should be managing them to address their issues, or letting them go.

Point is, the decision to keep Brad shouldn’t just come down to the fact that he’s currently the coach. And sure we’ve had health issues but so has virtually every other team in the league. Tatum has played 60 games, Jaylen 58, and they’re our two most important guys by far.

The complaints are well documented and not just from this year. He’s a weak leader who doesn’t hold players accountable. He shows no fire. He doesn’t have a regular rotation. I mean look at today — there is zero excuse for playing Edwards in this game. Pritchard and Nesmith were both available.

Brad seems like a tremendous human being but this is the **** NBA. This isn’t about participation trophies and every kid gets a chance to play. At some point you’re either serious about winning or you’re not, and if I was Wyc I’d have real heartburn about how this year has gone.

Ok I posted in the beginning of this thread and in all honestly I'm a big Brad fan. Admittedly I'm a coach homer most likely because I am one and have been for almost 20 years. So I usually side with coaches.

I also said if Brad has "lost" the locker room and mostly Brown and Tatum he almost has to go. Maybe they need a new voice.

What has Brad done?
I think Brad has done a good job of getting guys to play better than their talent/or perceived limits. Examples:IT, Evan Turner, Jae Crowder (been good but really bust on to scene with Brad), Theis, Baynes

Win 56% of games and easily over 60% after the 1st season in which he had a NBADL roster.

Get to 3 EConf finals in last 4 years. Besides Celtics think only GSW and Lebrons have been that consistently good.

Up until this year been one of best defensive teams all while having smaller avg height on rosters. (Defense more than offense points to coaching).

Good at ATO, SLOBS and BLOBS. Not as good last few years but been overall one of tops in league.

During those 3 ECF teams he's had the go to guy be 3 different guys. Meaning he hasn't had a Steph, Harden, Lebron who takes his team deep every year. Done it with different casts and leaders.

The question of is Brad a good coach isn't good or to be honest an intelligent question. The right question is Brad the right coach for the Celtics moving forward. I'm not sure where I fall at the moment. I do think Brad deserves one more season after this in which he gets to practice and hopefully won't have a moving chairs of whose available.

Thanks for the reply and answering my question. A few players have definitely thrived under Brad though most of your examples above are not recent (IT, Evan Turner, Crowder, Baynes). I think that Brad came to the Celtics with a bunch of intrigue and hype, and established himself as a positive leader with good ATO plays and an excellent work ethic. His early (successful) teams were largely comprised of underdogs with a chip on their shoulder.

Then in 2017-18 we landed Hayward and Kyrie and while we've had plenty of talent, you could argue that the team has actually underperformed relative to talent. Since 2018-2019 it's been a borderline toxic environment, with Kyrie and Hayward at times openly unhappy. It's easy to blame everything on Kyrie, but he's been gone for 2 years and the bad vibes and lack of energy continue. At some point you have to question leadership and ask what the coaching staff is doing (or not doing) to create or allow this culture.

My take is that Brad doesn't know how to manage strong personalities and "star" players. He tries to keep everyone happy and is scared to make tough decisions. Take a guy like Tristan Thompson -- he's a try-hard vet, but he clogs the paint and can't pass or dribble. Also we had RW3 making an obvious case for more time. Instead of recognizing that and playing RW3 and moving Theis/Tristan to the bench, Brad continued to start Theis and Tristan until Ainge literally had to trade Theis away.

How much has Semi played this year? You're telling me those minutes wouldn't have been better spent getting Nesmith more run and play through his mistakes? What about Pritchard's minutes and how much time Teague was getting early this year... until Ainge had to trade him away again to keep Brad from playing him. Yesterday Brad decided to bring in Carsen out of the blue over Nesmith and Pritchard. Carsen isn't even an NBA level player and we're in the must-win stage of the season.

Even if you defend some of these individual moves, the bigger point is that the rotations are just insanely inconsistent. There's a random bag of Prichard, Nesmith, Grant, Carsen, Tremont, Semi, Kornet, Romeo, Jabari that could be picked to play at any given moment. Hell, Tacko even got called on in the 3rd quarter the other night for a decent stretch. This isn't game 5. It's game 68.

Then look at our defense. We can't stay in front of anyone on the perimeter, we don't switch or rotate particularly well and we can't defend the rim when RW3 is out. Teams regularly just switch their best scorer onto Kemba and have a field day and we have no countermove. On offense we have very little movement -- passing or motion. It's a little better when RW3 is out there, but most of the time it's just Tatum/Brown/Kemba taking turns while other guys stand by the 3pt line. How about some picks, screens, cuts? It's a super lazy offense.

So poor leadership, poor/inconsistent rotations, poor defense, poor offensive system. I view those all as reflecting on the coach personally. Not that it's ALL the coaches fault, but that a good coach should positively impact each of these areas.

I dont disagree with most of the post. But I will point out the circumstances of this season has left all coaches to have to deal with a Flux roster and moving parts. The constant switching of roles is frustrating. As for playing vets vs rookies. My question would be is the goal to win or develop rookies? It's both I would assume, but for the coach developing usually comes in practice first then games. We haven't had the ability to practice so it's been choppy to say the least.

As for the defense. This is a 1 year problem. Never been an issue with Brad, and since we don't practice and playing time is inconsistent I tend to call this an aberration over an indictment on Brad.

To be honest the Kyrie, Hayward thing is one of the most annoying things I've encountered as a fan. Just never clicked as a whole with that group. I'd say some was bad luck for Hayward. But I think the biggest issue is trying to have 2 separate timelines on one roster. Not absolving Brad from any issues there, it was his charge to bring that group together and he couldn't. The offense not moving the ball has been a star driven thing. We had too many mouths to feed and too many guys who need the ball. Need better roles and more role players. That's a Ainge thing and a Brad thing.

I think to accurately access Brad with this group he deserves another season. One in which the Cs can practice and spend more time together
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,540

Post#365 » by playa-hater » Mon May 10, 2021 3:44 pm

greenroom31 wrote:
robdog_5 wrote:
Spoiler:

What has Brad done?

great post. can't agree more.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
pac213up
General Manager
And1: 3,798

Post#366 » by pac213up » Mon May 10, 2021 5:12 pm

I think there are some valid concerns with Stevens but given the roster, lack of experience on the bench, injuries, compressed scheduled, ect .....I think next year will be the real time to judge where he is as a coach. This year was always a throw away year for me based on what I saw Ainge do with the roster, I mean there are 3 legit non NBA players when you look at Tacko, G.Williams, and Edwards. The big man situation is also fairly awful given Rob's fragility. They are one of the youngest teams in the league and have played like it...young teams generally do not win.

My big gripe with Stevens is not getting Nesmith minutes earlier in the year. It was fairly clear the kid was rushing things and just needed to get comfortable being on an NBA court. With that said maybe it helped not break his confidence and put him in a better place. I am also concerned with his ability to manage star players in a more forceful and blunt way.
Afam
RealGM
And1: 8,437

Post#367 » by Afam » Mon May 10, 2021 6:12 pm

Like I have been saying all along. This Celtics team is not a good team. They are an average to above average team at best. Poor coached team and the players don’t execute on the floor. They are no way close to a championship team, they are barely a playoff team. Pathetic really. This team makes you to question your love of basketball and do you want to watch the games. I rarely watch basketball games nowadays. Big changes are coming this offseason. Brad and some of the players have to go and next on the clock is Ainge.

Read on Twitter
Afam
RealGM
And1: 8,437

Post#368 » by Afam » Mon May 10, 2021 6:13 pm

No more giving Brad chances. He had his chances. In the offseason both sides should mutually part ways.
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#369 » by greenroom31 » Mon May 10, 2021 6:23 pm

mwhis21 wrote:
Spoiler:
greenroom31 wrote:
robdog_5 wrote:

What has Brad done?

greenroom31 wrote:So poor leadership, poor/inconsistent rotations, poor defense, poor offensive system. I view those all as reflecting on the coach personally. Not that it's ALL the coaches fault, but that a good coach should positively impact each of these areas.

It's 100% fair to say that Brad can't handle "Star Personalities" and maybe the team has outgrown his ability to manage it. But your entire analysis above seems very agendaish.

I was pretty clear that it's not all Brad's fault (see above), and I said in the other "Who to Blame" thread that Ainge and Brad equally bear responsibility, especially since it's up to Ainge to keep or replace Brad.

As far as agendas, my only agenda is for the Celtics to win. My priorities are (1) win, (2) consistently play hard, (3) have a coherent rotation and game plan. I believe Brad's performance as coach of this team has been in decline for the last 2-3 seasons. Some posters want to give him a pass on this season due to COVID and see what happens next year. To me, that's the perspective that seems "agendaish". If your top priority isn't winning, what is it?
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,152

Post#370 » by Hal14 » Mon May 10, 2021 6:43 pm

Afam wrote:No more giving Brad chances. He had his chances. In the offseason both sides should mutually part ways.

Even if the Celtics win the 2021 NBA Finals?
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
robdog_5
Veteran

Post#371 » by robdog_5 » Mon May 10, 2021 6:45 pm

greenroom31 wrote:
mwhis21 wrote:
Spoiler:
greenroom31 wrote:

I was pretty clear that it's not all Brad's fault (see above), and I said in the other "Who to Blame" thread that Ainge and Brad equally bear responsibility, especially since it's up to Ainge to keep or replace Brad.

As far as agendas, my only agenda is for the Celtics to win. My priorities are (1) win, (2) consistently play hard, (3) have a coherent rotation and game plan. I believe Brad's performance as coach of this team has been in decline for the last 2-3 seasons. Some posters want to give him a pass on this season due to COVID and see what happens next year. To me, that's the perspective that seems "agendaish". If your top priority isn't winning, what is it?

It's not a pass for the season. It's a hey this is a once in a career blip on an otherwise pretty good career and oh let's see it's also a freak occurrence. It's simply not the same basketball season that you can judge compared to all the rest of them.

In a year with no practice and changing rosters constantly I think it would be important to have strong veteran presence and roster.

Boston has the 8th youngest squad. None of thr other squads younger are playoff bound. The 2 right behind them are playoff bound at a lower seed then Boston. One of those is Pop. If you go by exp it's 10th. And by exp nobody whose has less exp is playoff bound. I'm not sure how we can't at least acknowledge this is not just like any year with any roster.

So I more than ever am thinking it maybe time for Brad to go. But I also think his time in Boston combined with the situations sourounding this year/team should warrant him getting next season
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#372 » by cloverleaf » Mon May 10, 2021 11:39 pm

Interesting to hear the Felger and Mazz podcasts now re: the Celts. Talking about persistent rumors that Danny might be ready to step down, whether completely or into a consulting role, after this season. Then they also explore for example Gary W's reference to Stevens maybe having more say in the personnel this summer. And, again, Stevens has been yapping about his team being too small for the last two losses.

They are also talking about Jeff Goodman having said on EEI this weekend that Ainge's two choices are to move beyond Stevens or to trade Brown.

But I wonder if Stevens is angling to move up to Danny's role if Danny vacates the GM role. I don't see Stevens doing both roles next year, so perhaps he moves up and they bring in a new coach.

They are also chatting about Stevens maybe being tradable to Indy, since they reportedly want a new coach.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#373 » by JediMasterRevan » Tue May 11, 2021 12:26 am

cloverleaf wrote:Interesting to hear the Felger and Mazz podcasts now re: the Celts. Talking about persistent rumors that Danny might be ready to step down, whether completely or into a consulting role, after this season. Then they also explore for example Gary W's reference to Stevens maybe having more say in the personnel this summer. And, again, Stevens has been yapping about his team being too small for the last two losses.

They are also talking about Jeff Goodman having said on EEI this weekend that Ainge's two choices are to move beyond Stevens or to trade Brown.

But I wonder if Stevens is angling to move up to Danny's role if Danny vacates the GM role. I don't see Stevens doing both roles next year, so perhaps he moves up and they bring in a new coach.

They are also chatting about Stevens maybe being tradable to Indy, since they reportedly want a new coach.

Brad to indy would be great.

Give us Brogdon and take Brad
robdog_5
Veteran

Post#374 » by robdog_5 » Tue May 11, 2021 12:40 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
robdog_5
Veteran

Post#375 » by robdog_5 » Tue May 11, 2021 12:42 am

I wouldn't mind getting an asset for Brad. He's gonna be a hot commodity if Celtics can him
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#376 » by djFan71 » Tue May 11, 2021 12:45 am

Realgm has shown it's opinion of this thread on this page.
I could fix it, but I feel it's appropriate, so I'll just leave it as is.
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#377 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Tue May 11, 2021 1:53 am

Hal14 wrote:
Afam wrote:No more giving Brad chances. He had his chances. In the offseason both sides should mutually part ways.

Even if the Celtics win the 2021 NBA Finals?

There is absolutely no chance of this happening.
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,861

Post#378 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue May 11, 2021 1:57 am

Injuries, esp the recent one with JB, are Brad's free pass to another season. And isn't he signed until like 2078?
CeltsFlow
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,716

Post#379 » by CeltsFlow » Tue May 11, 2021 2:01 am

Yeah, doubt Brad gets canned with all the injury + COVID turmoil, he'll get another crack at it next year, but by then, it's either put up or shut up. Something's gotta give eventually.
Froob wrote:SVG is like JVG from an alternate reality where JVG is interested in talking about the game

Kabookalu wrote:[Dillon] Brooks has a mediocre driving game, but insists that he's prime Manu Ginobili.

It's time to win basketball games
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

Post#380 » by jfs1000d » Tue May 11, 2021 2:03 am

Brad isnt going anywhere, but damn it they need to defend. I hate team that are lazy on D like Boston. They gotta figure this out.

As far as roster. I kinda like it. It should be better than what it is. They could use a wind defender and Heath.

I struggle with Smart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Boston Celtics