ImageImageImage

Fire Brad Stevens.

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Re: Fire Brad Stevens. 

Post#81 » by moonie_mcgee » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:13 am

MagicBagley18 wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:Guys give up the KG dream. He has already said publicly that he never wants to coach.

Tbh he wouldn’t even make a good coach imo. He’d be great to visit the locker room or work on things individually and teach Tatum and brown some intensity but wouldn’t be my choice at all.

I love kg also just he’s not a coach

You may be right. HOFers seem to succeed less than lesser players as coaches. Maybe they get too frustrated lol.
That's the Way of the World
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#82 » by Ernest » Sat Apr 3, 2021 11:55 am

So where's all the fire Brad talk today? I guess that's only for after losses.
LoquaciousLarry
Sophomore
And1: 190

Post#83 » by LoquaciousLarry » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:56 pm

robdog_5 wrote:Brad is a great coach. I think the issues are more with the guys not executing. But ultimately if the players tune out the coach then it's over. You change the coach or players. I'm not sure that's the case.

I have 2 schools of thought I go back and forth with.

#1 I just want them to not make playoffs. Get a better pick add another asset.

#2 I want them go get in playoffs as 5 seed vs Miami. I would like to see Brad get another shot at Miami in playoffs. I think in playoffs with games spread a bit more you would have more time to gameplan and practice.

One thing that Brad has been great at in my opinion has been talent development. Whether it was JB, JT, IT, Pritchard, Evan Turner, Terry Rozier, and now Robert Williams, I am really hoping the Celtics make the playoffs so the young players can continue their development. The guys who haven't performed well such as Carsen, Grant etc. have been given opportunities to succeed and haven't failed because of Stevens. I think once Smarts moved the morale will increase, he's the one I constantly see tuning out Stevens and having no accountability.

The talent on this roster isn't great so I understand wanting to get a lottery pick but if they make a playoff run and do well (the East isn't too good this year) it will also increase the trade value of the players on the current roster. If there's any hope in moving Kemba this offseason for value in return, I think he needs to show he still has something in the tank in the playoffs. Hopefully they could package their pick with Smart to get a lottery pick around draft time but I do think playoff experience is extremely valuable for morale, confidence and player development. Plus I hate seeing them lose.

Go C's!
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,402

Post#84 » by Triple7 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:44 pm

Drax wrote:
Triple7 wrote:Our syatem is not fine at all! Lol. Stop dwelling in the past. We are talking about this season. Surely you are not happy with the way we defend right? Look, it doesn’t matter if it’s Brad’s system that’s flawed this season, or it’s the players not executing or being lazy. Both doesn’t look good for Brad. It clearly means it’s not working anymore. Players not following Brad’s game plan, no energy, no motivation. They checked out on Brad already. Time for a change.

You say the system is not fine, without providing any argument.

Your argument is that the players don't buy into Brads philosophy. Thats two different topics. One can be true while the other is true aswell.

Brad's defensive schemes made us a top three point defense team in the past even with an IT in the mix, why does this not work anymore? Do opponents not shoot three pointers anymore? Look at my signature, those are Brad's core principles, he has them hanging in his office. Do you see our players execute any of them? I barely see it nowadays.

If you think those principles are wrong, go ahead fire the head coach. Its time to move on. But if you think these anyone of those principles are a part of a winning culture make sure you find a coach who's better at implementing them.

You seem eager to fire the coach, give me some names to replace Brad.

I’m pretty sure guys like cassell, billups can be better than Brad, well they are definitely better leaders for starters, which this team really needs. Look no matter how you twist it, Brad ain’t effective anymore. He is poor at defining roles, poor at player accountability. It’s just time to move on from him. We need something diferrent. He had a full roster during the Kyrie era, and yes, that **** fest of a season can be attributed to Kyrie, i agree, but Brad’s failure to control that team, added to the failure. He failed to define roles. Vets were given too much freedom and not much accountability. The youngsters were unhappy. Admit it or not, but he almost lost that locker. The following seasons are not much better. Players probably liked each other better, but same issues. Players DON’T listen to Brad anymore. They just chuck their way on offense. Where is the ball movement that Brad preaches? Why does he let them do what they want? Again, goes back to leadership, accountablity and defining each players roles. Don’t worry, looks like Ainge won’t ever fire his boy, and if ever, some rebuilding team would scoop him up fast. We just need change!
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#85 » by JediMasterRevan » Sat Apr 3, 2021 3:47 pm

Ernest wrote:So where's all the fire Brad talk today? I guess that's only for after losses.

Fire brad.

1 decent game against tge worst team in the league in which kemba finally realized he is NOT the man and needs to playmake.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#86 » by jmr07019 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 3:53 pm

Playing Theis over Rob was a huge mistake. Bad look for Brad.
Show Love Spread Love
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#87 » by ParticleMan » Sat Apr 3, 2021 4:48 pm

Brad plays the long game. He isn't that concerned about the regular season. He uses it to sort out his roster, develop guys, and come up with an 8-9 man rotation by playoff time. This is especially the case given the young roster.

This is why we overachieve most playoffs. We've reached the ECF 3 of the 4 years, and I don't think any prognosticators had us as faves for reaching the ECF in any of those years. Ironically, the one year they did, we failed, owing to the he-who-shall-not-be-named-led implosion. But the point is, Brad arranges everything for the playoffs. That's the goal here, not winning Atlantic division banners.

So I'm willing to give Brad till the playoffs. We've looked terrible this year, no doubt. We can toss around a lot of reasons, covid, injuries, roster turnover, blah blah. But the fact is we've been terrible, and for the most part we've looked terrible. Time is running short. But there's still time. And there's still talent. There's still a chance.

If we have another implosion in the playoffs, Brad should be fired. If we have another run to the ECF or beyond, all this "fire brad" talk is going to look stupid. I honestly have no idea what will happen. I'm not seeing how he can turn this around but I'm still hoping he will. Either way these next few months are going to be critical for the direction of our franchise.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,508

Post#88 » by bisme37 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 5:09 pm

We're going to have to suck for two seasons in a row before Danny thinks about firing Brad for even a second. And for good reason. We've been in the ECF's 3 of the last 4 years. Y'all need to settle down imo lol.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,402

Post#89 » by Triple7 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 6:23 pm

ParticleMan wrote:Brad plays the long game. He isn't that concerned about the regular season. He uses it to sort out his roster, develop guys, and come up with an 8-9 man rotation by playoff time. This is especially the case given the young roster.

This is why we overachieve most playoffs. We've reached the ECF 3 of the 4 years, and I don't think any prognosticators had us as faves for reaching the ECF in any of those years. Ironically, the one year they did, we failed, owing to the he-who-shall-not-be-named-led implosion. But the point is, Brad arranges everything for the playoffs. That's the goal here, not winning Atlantic division banners.

So I'm willing to give Brad till the playoffs. We've looked terrible this year, no doubt. We can toss around a lot of reasons, covid, injuries, roster turnover, blah blah. But the fact is we've been terrible, and for the most part we've looked terrible. Time is running short. But there's still time. And there's still talent. There's still a chance.

If we have another implosion in the playoffs, Brad should be fired. If we have another run to the ECF or beyond, all this "fire brad" talk is going to look stupid. I honestly have no idea what will happen. I'm not seeing how he can turn this around but I'm still hoping he will. Either way these next few months are going to be critical for the direction of our franchise.

I agree with this. This playoffs would tell a lot about Brad’s future. We reached the ecf last playoffs, but we lost bad in that series. Brad’s failure to adjust and poor leadership lost us that series, and a chance for a finals stint. Brad’s failure started with that poor inbound pass defense with less than a second, against the raps. That series would have been over early, if not for that disaster defense. Instead we gave them hope, and ended up playing 7. The following series, you could clearly see that Tatum and the guys were dead tired. It didn’t help that Brad can’t solve the zone, which was pretty laughable. That elimination game was just horrible. We were down like 8 or 9 pts with over 3mins remaining, and we chuck 3’s like we were down big with a minute remaining. Our guys panicked, because our coach looked clueless. Anyways, we did reached the conf finals, but in reality, we underachieved the past two seasons. This season would be a 3rd.
moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#90 » by moonie_mcgee » Sat Apr 3, 2021 9:02 pm

Ernest wrote:So where's all the fire Brad talk today? I guess that's only for after losses.

:lol: we're here :nod: shocked by the win :o just hope it continues :-?
That's the Way of the World
SLCceltic
Veteran
And1: 1,680

Post#91 » by SLCceltic » Sat Apr 3, 2021 9:26 pm

moonie_mcgee wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:
Ernest wrote:
Sure but that's just reading things into it. Maybe MAYBE there are serious locker room problems, but no one is reporting that. A more likely reason for .500 ball is out 2 best players are under 25, most of the team is on rookie deals, we've had lots of people out with injury and "health and safety" and we just made a few trades.

We are on our way to having what SA has. It's a chain really. The owners are solid and will spend to win. They brought in Ainge and let him guy a team that had just went to the ECF. They trust him and he's not going anywhere. Ainge had Doc leave because he was too good for rebuilding. So Ainge went out and found a coach that didn't have a big head. Ainge isn't going to blame Brad or fire Brad. And Brads not going to walk when he sees a better offer or when the team needs to rebuild. Ainge got the guy we wanted.

league-wide play has leveled, so many good teams right now !

I think the funk is rooted in pushing Jays to iso heavy in order to promote development, league-wide play, AND we are in a bit of a reg season hangover w 3 ECF ...the games right now are not life and death and its hard to get this group (who is lil hungover) to play with urgency...

that said, idk if we have an experienced enough supporting cast to just turn it on in POs .....but I can also see us galvanizing going into POs and doing some real damage and even see another ECF

Fournier is a huge get for this particular team .....there will be some nice play when games start to matter more...

A regular season hangover with 3 ECF? That's a helluva hangover. He's lost the team. It happens. Wonder what excuses we'll have when Tatum walks in his prime. That happens too you know.

maybe hangover is not the best way to describe the phenomenom ....its a disengagement, some sort of going through reg season motions boredom...

as games start to matter more and more we will see full engagement ....right now even marcus is going through the motions on some nights. this core has had ALOT of success and these games right now do not carry any real consequential weight
...ending the reg season at 5 games or so above .500 is all we need to get #4 seed...

so hard to get everyone full engagement every game right now, even Brad
ROYALGREEN
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man

Post#92 » by JediMasterRevan » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:46 am

He should consider lowering pritchard and nesmith minutes.

Cant have those guys develop out there on the court when the team is losing.

Need to save their development for the future.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,671

Post#93 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:47 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:He should consider lowering pritchard and nesmith minutes.

Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man

Post#94 » by JediMasterRevan » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:56 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
JediMasterRevan wrote:He should consider lowering pritchard and nesmith minutes.

Right, you get it.

Cannot win games if those guys are playing. I mean we cannot win games without them playing so there is no way to win with them getting minutes.
aussie_pride
Junior
And1: 190

Post#95 » by aussie_pride » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:56 pm

ParticleMan wrote:Brad plays the long game. He isn't that concerned about the regular season. He uses it to sort out his roster, develop guys, and come up with an 8-9 man rotation by playoff time. This is especially the case given the young roster.

If you are going to fire Brad then who are you going to bring in to replace him? One of the things that I struggle to comprehend is that a coach as diligent as Brad Stevens can come up with the rubbish offense that this team has been putting up night after night? Previous teams under Brad would never play this way! So for me its either a case of the players not listening to Brad or him losing the plot completely.
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,150

Post#96 » by DarkAzcura » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:21 pm

aussie_pride wrote:

If you are going to fire Brad then who are you going to bring in to replace him? One of the things that I struggle to comprehend is that a coach as diligent as Brad Stevens can come up with the rubbish offense that this team has been putting up night after night? Previous teams under Brad would never play this way! So for me its either a case of the players not listening to Brad or him losing the plot completely.

Or option c, which is the players are listening to Brad, but it is not in their nature to play that style of basketball. That goes on Ainge for not filling out the team with ball movers and playmakers to some extent. You can't expect players to play outside their instincts all of the time, so the roster needs to be balanced better.
pac213up
General Manager
And1: 3,797

Post#97 » by pac213up » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:41 pm

Brad is not the problem, also he is very likely aligned with Ainge in terms of what the priorities are this year. Fans may not like the biproduct of that but it is what it is. If Ainge and ownership was shooting for a title they would have put themselves in a different position at the beginning of the year with a roster complimented by veterans, not unproven rookies. The timeline changed when Gordon left. Now it is about evaluating & developing Tatum and Brown. These are the growing pains of having 2 extremely young players leading the way. Young players do not generally win NBA championships regardless of how talented they are or will become.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Post#98 » by canman1971 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:51 pm

Great film.
MrGreenRunsDeep
Sixth Man
And1: 1,737

Post#99 » by MrGreenRunsDeep » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:08 pm

Gotta big and huge feeling now... believe it or not... we are purposely losing games and playing like this so we can get a good pick next year and we trade that pick for a good player next season.
Just a Fan From Toronto Canada who Loves the Boston Celtics & Toronto Raptors!
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,671

Post#100 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:41 pm

canman1971 wrote:

Great film.

Never seen it. :D

I READ Bright Lights Big City, which is said to be somewhat comparable, but most of what I liked about that was the interesting use of second-person singular. I stopped with the young coke brats after that.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".

Return to Boston Celtics