ImageImageImage

Victory Cigar!!! BOS 116, CHA 86 (25-25)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Who smokes it tonight?

Tatum
18%
Brown
10%
Smart
2%
Kemba
No votes
Timelord
13%
Fournier
39%
Pritchard
No votes
Romeo
7%
Kornet
No votes
Other (team)
12%

Total votes: 103

jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,973

Re: Victory Cigar!!! BOS 116, CHA 86 (25-25) 

Post#61 » by jfs1000d » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:16 am

moonie_mcgee wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Stevens just low-key dissing Celtics RealGM.

Ugh Bland Stevens.
He's so obnoxious, who talks like that.
He's got to be trolling us at this point.
Pls for once can he just straight talk.

That is Brad being honest. He isn't a coach speak kind of guy. He is really boring.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 10,859

Post#62 » by Fierce1 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:18 am

Sometimes boring is good.

But according one of the Celtic reporters, Brad is a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad man when he gets angry.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,221

Post#63 » by djFan71 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:19 am

Went Smart since he closed all the docks on Rozier island. Any wing was a good choice as well.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#64 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:28 am

threrf23 wrote:Watching the game, I didn't think there was a single player that clearly stuck out. Glancing at the boxscore, Fournier is the obvious choice. Ultra efficient 17/6 line (on 9 shots) and +24 in 22 minutes, and he was on the floor when we broke the game open. And we just threw him out there off the bench, not making any concerted effort to utilize him properly.

6/1 on A/TO and the 3-pt shooting makes for a very good statistical night, rivalled only by Time Lord and Tatum.

Fournier for the narrative.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,313

Post#65 » by Infinite Llamas » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:41 am

Spoiler:
GoGreen wrote:I gotta give a mea culpa with Terry. I thought he'd be a better fit for this team on a way better contract, but watching him play, I think his me-ball wouldve gotten in the way. Kembas contract sucks out loud but he is the better guy for this team imo

Rozier deferred to the J’s a ton in the 2017-18 playoffs. He was the third option on the team a little ahead of Al, and that’s when Tatum was a rookie. He isn’t a traditional point guard in any way, shape or form but he can distribute and do it without turning the ball over a ton. What you have seen with Rozier the last couple of days is a guy trying to do a ton with three key players hurt. He really hasn’t played selfishly since some stretches in 2018-19 when he was forcing things. He absolutely deferred to Graham last year and Hayward/Lamelo this year. This “me-first” thing is a myth.
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,902

Post#66 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:03 am

robdog_5 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

I'm not sure if this is accurate but if so, not bad

I said it before- once Romeo's back we ain't losing.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#67 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:40 am

djFan71 wrote:Went Smart since he closed all the docks on Rozier island. Any wing was a good choice as well.

Smart again shot under 10 shots and again shot well. As I previously wrote whenever he shoots 7-8 shots and focuses on his defense, he's the best defensive guard in the game. Now He needs to give up shots to Evan, it should help Smart in the long run.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#68 » by 31to6 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 10:20 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:
djFan71 wrote:Went Smart since he closed all the docks on Rozier island. Any wing was a good choice as well.

Smart again shot under 10 shots and again shot well. As I previously wrote whenever he shoots 7-8 shots and focuses on his defense, he's the best defensive guard in the game. Now He needs to give up shots to Evan, it should help Smart in the long run.

It sucks for many reasons that DJ passed away so young. But I wonder what Smart’s level of awareness of DJ’s Boston career is like. That’s who I want him to emulate.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,623

Post#69 » by Green89 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 10:50 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:Tatum doesn't win enough of these.

BFitzMoney
Sophomore
And1: 119

Post#70 » by BFitzMoney » Mon Apr 5, 2021 10:55 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:nobody gets it. Hard to pass them out for wins against arguably the least talented roster we've faced all year. At this point, all of these meaningless wins that gets people thinking we're a good team does is hurt our draft position.

Jeez - what Leprechaun shat in your corn flakes?
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,252

Post#71 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Apr 5, 2021 11:21 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:

Post-Kyrie, Cs now 35-11 when Smart takes 10 shots or less. I do think it has more to do with having the more reliable scorers ahead of him healthy for those games. Whenever we're missing a Kemba or Tatum or Hayward (sometimes two at the same time), he feels the need to step up in terms of scoring. His best use is still Swiss army knife w/ elite defense and the guy who fills the gaps and keeps the ball moving.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,993

Post#72 » by cl2117 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 11:25 am

Team win, but gotta vote Fournier. We desperately needed consistent shooting and better passing, enter Evan Fournier.

Last night he gave us both and it really as knock on effects for some of our other issues. Still seeing too much hero ball, but they're moving it better. Robert Williams deserves a ton of the credit for that and not letting the ball stick/forcing teams to rotate, but Fournier's a guy who keeps the offense flowing as well. Also just having another reliable scorer out there deserving the swing pass in and of itself makes a world of difference.

Fournier was a guy I dreaded Ainge getting because he's expiring, but his fit is amazing and now that he's in the fold I'm pretty excited (ignoring long-term implications). He's gonna take pressure off the Jays and my hope is they get more engaged on the defensive end. We've had big issues defensively and getting the offense moving with more ball movement will actually improve the defensive flow as well.

Could have called it a "team" VC easily though. Tatum continuing a worrying trend of being a slow starter, but what a 3rd quarter. Smart put the clamps on Scary Terry, which really took the bite out of them. Timelord continuing his ascendance. Romeo coming in there with the Undertaker GIF of comeback performances.

We need Kemba to transition into a guy who averages 15/7 with better efficiency. He's had some pretty impressive kick outs lately and continues to struggle at the rim. Makes perfect sense to focus on dribble-penetrating for the kick out instead of scoring. He should be shooting as much as Fournier no more unless he turns a corner offensively.

Let's see if they can do it against better talent. Still feels like this team needs something rally around. Still lacking that fire.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
radcot
General Manager
And1: 11,466

Post#73 » by radcot » Mon Apr 5, 2021 11:32 am

Closest I've come to voting "team" this season, but went with Fournier for bringing everything we hoped he'd bring to the Celtics at both ends.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#74 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Apr 5, 2021 12:01 pm

cl2117 wrote:Team win, but gotta vote Fournier. We desperately needed consistent shooting and better passing, enter Evan Fournier.

Last night he gave us both and it really as knock on effects for some of our other issues. Still seeing too much hero ball, but they're moving it better. Robert Williams deserves a ton of the credit for that and not letting the ball stick/forcing teams to rotate, but Fournier's a guy who keeps the offense flowing as well. Also just having another reliable scorer out there deserving the swing pass in and of itself makes a world of difference.

Fournier was a guy I dreaded Ainge getting because he's expiring, but his fit is amazing and now that he's in the fold I'm pretty excited (ignoring long-term implications). He's gonna take pressure off the Jays and my hope is they get more engaged on the defensive end. We've had big issues defensively and getting the offense moving with more ball movement will actually improve the defensive flow as well.

Could have called it a "team" VC easily though. Tatum continuing a worrying trend of being a slow starter, but what a 3rd quarter. Smart put the clamps on Scary Terry, which really took the bite out of them. Timelord continuing his ascendance. Romeo coming in there with the Undertaker GIF of comeback performances.

We need Kemba to transition into a guy who averages 15/7 with better efficiency. He's had some pretty impressive kick outs lately and continues to struggle at the rim. Makes perfect sense to focus on dribble-penetrating for the kick out instead of scoring. He should be shooting as much as Fournier no more unless he turns a corner offensively.

Let's see if they can do it against better talent. Still feels like this team needs something rally around. Still lacking that fire.

We could have a pretty well balanced offense if Kemba decides to shoot the ball no more than 12-13 times a game. His shooting % are atrocious this season. Would love to see Kemba assist more, but I kinda doubt it, cause his insticts are to shoot. Every time he catches the ball at the top of the key, he looks to shoot off the screen or go for the lay up. Hopefully, he can adjust a little.
Good assessment:

ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#75 » by ParticleMan » Mon Apr 5, 2021 12:36 pm

i rarely go team but i went team. just an all-round nice team win.

some other thoughts:
- is it me or does it look like romeo's been spending more time in the weight room? nice to see. last year he looked like a JV kid who wandered in to the gym, at least from the waist up. he needs to keep it up and go full tatum, that will help him finish those smooth drives.
- who is happy that guys like semi and grant are no longer getting meaningful minutes? <raises both hands and a foot>
- kornet continues to be a big surprise. i thought this guy was a stiff, but he battles and moves well out there. can't teach size. if he can hit 3's he may be the steal of the trade.
- if there's one thing to complain about, it's these stupid ass heat check pull up 3's by the C's. guys, stop. just stop. kemba did it once or twice. jaylen did it at least twice. tatum did it a few times but he actually made a couple... so maybe he's exempt, but he's the only one. when you have teams on the mat, don't let them up via your own stupidity/laziness. stick with ball movement and the inside-out action, until the opponent shows they can stop it.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,393

Post#76 » by threrf23 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 12:55 pm

ParticleMan wrote:- is it me or does it look like romeo's been spending more time in the weight room? nice to see.

I would hope so. But also, he turned 21 in October. Physical improvement was to be expected.

- who is happy that guys like semi and grant are no longer getting meaningful minutes? <raises both hands and a foot>

Curious to see how Semi is re-integrated when he is ready to return.

- kornet continues to be a big surprise. i thought this guy was a stiff, but he battles and moves well out there. can't teach size. if he can hit 3's he may be the steal of the trade.

Very Matt Bonner-ish. Taller, but I'm not sure if he plays taller.

if there's one thing to complain about, it's these stupid ass heat check pull up 3's by the C's. guys, stop. just stop. kemba did it once or twice. jaylen did it at least twice. tatum did it a few times but he actually made a couple... so maybe he's exempt, but he's the only one. when you have teams on the mat, don't let them up via your own stupidity/laziness. stick with ball movement and the inside-out action, until the opponent shows they can stop it.

League wide issue, influenced by Steph. A game like this one, I don't mind if our players want to have a little fun, though.
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#77 » by greenroom31 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:06 pm

threrf23 wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:if there's one thing to complain about, it's these stupid ass heat check pull up 3's by the C's. guys, stop. just stop. kemba did it once or twice. jaylen did it at least twice. tatum did it a few times but he actually made a couple... so maybe he's exempt, but he's the only one. when you have teams on the mat, don't let them up via your own stupidity/laziness. stick with ball movement and the inside-out action, until the opponent shows they can stop it.

League wide issue, influenced by Steph. A game like this one, I don't mind if our players want to have a little fun, though.

I don't blame Steph -- this started earlier. With NBA Jam!

Seriously though, tell me you weren't sprinting to the 3pt line to shoot every time after hearing "He's on fire!"
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#78 » by cloverleaf » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:46 pm

jfs1000d wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Stevens just low-key dissing Celtics RealGM.

Ugh Bland Stevens.
He's so obnoxious, who talks like that.
He's got to be trolling us at this point.
Pls for once can he just straight talk.

That is Brad being honest. He isn't a coach speak kind of guy. He is really boring.

I think he's a boring coach-speak kind of guy.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,961

Post#79 » by Shak_Celts » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:55 pm

Ill News wrote:
31to6 wrote:If you vote Fournier you’re in the FournClub

I'm disappointed you went with that instead of FournHub. It was right there, man :lol:

Damnnnn, I waited to read the thread hoping no one said this! I should have known someone would bite, it was sitting right there! :lol:
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,129

Post#80 » by Hal14 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:19 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:

Agreed.

Especially in the Houston game, it was some vintage all-NBA level defense by Smart. Also some excellent passing by him too. That's what we need form him. Be a top 10 in the league defender, be a really good passer, hustle, bring that energy for offense all we really need from him is 10-12 points a game, a combination of 3's and floaters.When he is playing Marcus Smart basketball, he's one of the best role players in the league.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)

Return to Boston Celtics