ImageImageImage

Victory Cigar!!! BOS 145, MIN 136 (27-26)

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Who smokes it tonight?

Tatum
85%
Brown
4%
Kemba
1%
Smart
9%
Timelord
No votes
Thompson
No votes
Grant
1%
Pritchard
No votes
Other (team)
1%

Total votes: 113

Ill News
General Manager
And1: 16,306

Re: Victory Cigar!!! BOS 145, MIN 136 (27-26) 

Post#61 » by Ill News » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:20 am

Y'all ready to get beaten down by the red-hot Nuggets next game? If we play defense the way we did tonight, we might lose by 30 against them.

If we play good defense though, I can see us losing only by 10 lol
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,167

Post#62 » by playa-hater » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:21 am

exculpatory wrote:Tatum was really special & shot >60% as well.
But Marcus was **** brilliant.

The first 3 quarters were truly nauseating.
Team is completely unpredictable.
The next few games could be disastrous & they could shock us & win them all.

Oh yeah - Kemba MUST BE GONE ASAP.
I do not care about the couple of hoops he made in Q4.
He is **** awful.

many-most on here see this. Are we all wrong?? we can't cut or trade him at this time, but for the sake of our playoff run, why the hell can't we put him to the bench?? If he comes in and gets hot, fine, he can play more. If not no problem. Kemba out of the starting and closing lineup definitely improves us defensively at a minimum. Possible Tatum Brown and Fournier get going faster as well.

The ONLY reason said is keeping his trade value etc.. Winning games > trade value easy choice for me.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,641

Post#63 » by GoCeltics123 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:22 am

Read on Twitter
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#64 » by playa-hater » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:24 am

Ill News wrote:Y'all ready to get beaten down by the red-hot Nuggets next game? If we play defense the way we did tonight, we might lose by 30 against them.

1 game basically separates us from 4th place or 8 spot. Definitely playoff vibe here. a quality win can boost confidence and momentum. NOT having Fournier is killing me.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#65 » by playa-hater » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:26 am

GoCeltics123 wrote:
Read on Twitter

just put the kid in the front row dang it!!
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,641

Post#66 » by GoCeltics123 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:27 am

Read on Twitter
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Veteran
And1: 6,347

Post#67 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:27 am

I’m not even going to try and list all the specifics regarding what’s wrong with the Celts this year as quite simply a lot of it can be resolved with mindset in my opinion.

Our players seem to believe they can switch it on whenever they want and that it’ll just happen. They’ve bought the hype about their talent and the ECF appearances and assume the trajectory will keep rising.

There are a lot of difficulties for all teams this year and yes we could do with a better bench but it’s very clear mindset is extremely inconsistent. When they bring it they have great ball movement and offensive power and are very hard to score against. However when things get just a little tough heads drop and they all look to someone else to make it easier, whether it be the other players or refs.

We could all blame Kemba for being too small or not shooting well enough or being a defensive liability but he’s only exposed to the level he is because of the group’s lazy mindset. I say this as someone who believes we need to move on from Kemba but it’s delusional to think he goes and our problems are solved.

The biggest positive from this AoS win is that Tatum was aggressive all night. I hope this is the wake up call needed and at the very least whatever happens this year I hope it’s the wake up season needed about what it takes.

I believe we can still go far this year but if and only if they stop waiting for it to happen, stop finding other reasons to blame it on and just commit to the hard tough work and NEVER drop their heads regardless of what happens.

Stop whining to refs.
Start moving.
Trust your group.
Play with aggression.

In other words, play with the mindset that we’re no names with something to prove rather than all stars that expect it will just happen.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,604

Post#68 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:30 am

Kemba needs to move into the Lou Williams role-- ASAP.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Ill News
General Manager
And1: 16,306

Post#69 » by Ill News » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:31 am

playa-hater wrote:
Ill News wrote:Y'all ready to get beaten down by the red-hot Nuggets next game? If we play defense the way we did tonight, we might lose by 30 against them.

1 game basically separates us from 4th place or 8 spot. Definitely playoff vibe here. a quality win can boost confidence and momentum. NOT having Fournier is killing me.

You might be right about the quality win giving us a boost, but we've had lots of quality wins this year already against the Clippers, Bucks, and even the Nuggets, yet they keep failing to build on those quality wins. This team is who it is at this point: an inconsistent, lazy team that will constantly tease us with stellar play and frustrating play at the same time.

Agree about Fournier. It looked like we were finally finding an identity during those games he played, then he's out for a week. It's just mentally frustrating for fans, even more so for the players obviously. I'm mentally resigned from our team going on a Cinderella-like run because everything's just been so inconsistent, in both things they can control (effort, energy, good decision-making) and things they can't (injuries, absences).
moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#70 » by moonie_mcgee » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:35 am

Tyakack wrote:Aggressive tatum is best tatum. He needs to take it to the rim more and settle for less fade away jumpers when the game is on the line. He took over when we needed him though.

Most definitely. Tatum is at his best attacking the basket. That really opens up the rest of his game. When he attacks and lands on his feet, you know he's playing through contact.
That's the Way of the World
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#71 » by playa-hater » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:37 am

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:I’m not even going to try and list all the specifics regarding what’s wrong with the Celts this year as quite simply a lot of it can be resolved with mindset in my opinion.

Our players seem to believe they can switch it on whenever they want and that it’ll just happen. They’ve bought the hype about their talent and the ECF appearances and assume the trajectory will keep rising.

There are a lot of difficulties for all teams this year and yes we could do with a better bench but it’s very clear mindset is extremely inconsistent. When they bring it they have great ball movement and offensive power and are very hard to score against. However when things get just a little tough heads drop and they all look to someone else to make it easier, whether it be the other players or refs.

We could all blame Kemba for being too small or not shooting well enough or being a defensive liability but he’s only exposed to the level he is because of the group’s lazy mindset. I say this as someone who believes we need to move on from Kemba but it’s delusional to think he goes and our problems are solved.

The biggest positive from this AoS win is that Tatum was aggressive all night. I hope this is the wake up call needed and at the very least whatever happens this year I hope it’s the wake up season needed about what it takes.

I believe we can still go far this year but if and only if they stop waiting for it to happen, stop finding other reasons to blame it on and just commit to the hard tough work and NEVER drop their heads regardless of what happens.

Stop whining to refs.
Start moving.
Trust your group.
Play with aggression.

In other words, play with the mindset that we’re no names with something to prove rather than all stars that expect it will just happen.

Mindset definitely matters. One of my favorite sayings is "It's not the SKILL of a man, but the WILL of a man".
But no matter what the mind set, Kemba's defense is a big root (obviously not the only root) of our putrid defense. Better "mind-set" would help cover up for some. But I rather Kemba out and we work on our team "mindset"

the rest of your post is dead on ..
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#72 » by playa-hater » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:38 am

Curmudgeon wrote:Kemba needs to move into the Lou Williams role-- ASAP.

as I said 2 months ago.. seems like such an obvious fit.
gocelts
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,898

Post#73 » by gocelts » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:55 am

Could have been a big loss.....not sure this one is worth bragging about. We gave up 136 points to the Wolves. That's awful. Tatum was fantastic, but this win could also have an AOS thread...
~gocelts
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#74 » by return2glory » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:59 am

Grant Williams was the obvious choice for VC.

But I went with Tatum anyway.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#75 » by BostonCouchGM » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:04 am

Grant played 24 minutes and was awful. Langford was his meh self. Clearly Brad either hates Nesmith or the moronic decision to draft another SG when it’s our deepest position and we badly need size that can shoot. Mhopefully for the kid they can package him in a trade to get him to a much better coach and situation
return2glory
RealGM

Post#76 » by return2glory » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:07 am

TommyPointGawd wrote:Perkins taking credit for Tatum's big night lol. Some of y'all refuse to enjoy anything. GGs

Perk should take credit because he called out Tatum a few days ago.

Now if Perk can call out Brown on his lack of defense.
return2glory
RealGM

Post#77 » by return2glory » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:10 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:Grant played 24 minutes and was awful. Langford was his meh self. Clearly Brad either hates Nesmith or the moronic decision to draft another SG when it’s our deepest position and we badly need size that can shoot. Mhopefully for the kid they can package him in a trade to get him to a much better coach and situation

Nesmith sucks at this point. Problem is Semi and Grant aren’t much better. Team is really really missing Fournier right now.
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Veteran
And1: 6,347

Post#78 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:11 am

playa-hater wrote:
Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:I’m not even going to try and list all the specifics regarding what’s wrong with the Celts this year as quite simply a lot of it can be resolved with mindset in my opinion.

Stop whining to refs.
Start moving.
Trust your group.
Play with aggression.

Mindset definitely matters. One of my favorite saying is "It's not the SKILL of a man, but the WILL of a man".
But no matter what the mind set, Kemba's defense is a big root (obviously not the only root) of our putrid defense. Better "mind-set" would help cover up for some. But I rather Kemba out and we work on our team "mindset"

Don’t misunderstand me, I’m not saying Kemba won’t be a defensive liability even if we had better mindset.

What I am saying is with the right mindset defensively and offensively this can more easily be covered. Additionally I’ve noticed Kemba himself seems to defend better when he’s adding value offensively. Maybe it’s not much better but still better. Get him going and confident offensively and he doesn’t seem to think he needs to run around like a headless chicken on the defensive end trying to make up for adding no offensive value. Theis was great at sealing and screening to get Kemba going.

With the right mindset we can get Kemba going offensively that will offset the defensive downside, but also cover defensively better. When bringing up Kemba I just wanted to point out that:
a) We can still be very good with Kemba; AND
b) Our problems wouldn’t simply be solved with him going without changing our mindset.
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,893

Post#79 » by Joshyjess » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:16 am

Wow, this is a tough one tonight. Let me think........uh Tatum?

Smart definitely deserves a puff or two though. He brought the heart and soul that the team needed tonight. Props to Tristan as well. He played a great game.

BTW, what on earth is a moving screen???? I mean Boston was called for it a couple of times, yet you could literally make a Moving Screen documentary on KAT. How can the C's be called whe Townes sets a moving screen EVERY SINGLE TIME he sets a screen. It's not like he even tries to hide it - it's blatant - and yet still he doesn't get called. So what is a moving screen???? I'm so confused.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,923

Post#80 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:23 am

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

Stop whining to refs.
Start moving.
Trust your group.
Play with aggression.

Mindset definitely matters. One of my favorite saying is "It's not the SKILL of a man, but the WILL of a man".

Don’t misunderstand me, I’m not saying Kemba won’t be a defensive liability even if we had better mindset.

What I am saying is with the right mindset defensively and offensively this can more easily be covered. Additionally I’ve noticed Kemba himself seems to defend better when he’s adding value offensively. Maybe it’s not much better but still better. Get him going and confident offensively and he doesn’t seem to think he needs to run around like a headless chicken on the defensive end trying to make up for adding no offensive value. Theis was great at sealing and screening to get Kemba going.

With the right mindset we can get Kemba going offensively that will offset the defensive downside, but also cover defensively better. When bringing up Kemba I just wanted to point out that:
a) We can still be very good with Kemba; AND
b) Our problems wouldn’t simply be solved with him going without changing our mindset.

To the underlined point, Kemba did have great chemistry with Theis, which he doesn't seem to have yet with Timelord. Theis was also our best screener apart from being Kemba's pick-and-pop/roll partner.

Bulls should've traded for them as a package.

Return to Boston Celtics