ImageImageImage

Victory Cigar!!! BOS 116, POR 115 (29-26)

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Who smokes it tonight?

Tatum
78%
Brown
4%
Kemba
7%
Smart
10%
Timelord
No votes
Thompson
No votes
Grant
No votes
Other (team)
1%

Total votes: 107

zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,840

Re: Victory Cigar!!! BOS 116, POR 115 (29-26) 

Post#121 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:18 pm

Hal14 wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:What's weird is the guys we replaced or had minutes reduced (Teague, Nesmith, Theis, Semi) all have positive oncourt net rating for the season. The guys we replaced them with (Pritchard, Romeo, Timelord, Grant) all have negative oncourt net rating so far this season.

I don't understand numbers anymore.

Or maybe our top guys playing with a slightly different/adjusted supporting cast has a positive effect that isn't really reflected in the numbers. They do seem to have a different bounce, pun-intended, playing with Rob.

Rob has supercharged the starting unit. With him starting the team's net rating has moved into the top 5 from 15th, and they're 8-2. His net rating as a starter is 7.5 vs -4.4 off the bench. Bringing Rob into the starting line-up is the single biggest improvement the Celtics have made in 3 years. The bench simply isn't as important with the new starting 5.

That said Fournicator will def help the bench but he will be most effective if we essentially treat him as the 6th starter..

8-1 if you don't count the New Orleans game. That game was an outlier because:
a) No Brown
b) Fournier shot 0/10 which will never happen again since he's one of the league's best shooters and that was only his first game with the team, he hadn't practiced with the team yet

Agreed about treating Fournier like a 6th starter. I see him being like a Hondo type. Comes in halfway through the first and 3rd quarters and plays pretty much the whole rest of the game. He averaged 29 minutes a game in his first 4 games with us and some of those games were blowouts where the starters sat most of the 4th. I see. him averaging around 30-31 mins a game when he comes back..which is what he was averaging in Orlando..

I'm not dismissing Rob's impact on the team, but let's also not ignore the fact that it coincided with all four of Jays/Smart/Kemba finally being healthy for an extended stretch all season, Langford coming back and having an impact defensively, Ainge cutting the fat from the roster, Smart going back to what makes him special, and Tatum going supernova in the month of April, among other things.

BTW, new starting five net rating is only +2.0 so far. (Replace Timelord w/ Theis, it was +8.6). So it's not like the new starting unit has been killing teams. On the contrary, we've been down early and just kept digging ourselves out of holes in these games.
1st banana
Starter
And1: 3,002

Post#122 » by 1st banana » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:07 pm

Just finished watching the game went Tatum obvi I mean that was a lead heavy sacked performance from him. Felt like he dropped 50 really starting to find his post break zest from last year some of his drives were just flat out grown ass man drives bodying people and finishing through contact, very encouraging.

Second game in a row where it felt like we reversed usual roles in the game. We had lots of drives and easy points in the paint and Portland was taking tough contested shots and just making them. Then down the wire we just made every play and every stop instead of missing shots and being out executed.

We finally broke the threshold of 2 games over or under 500 we’ve been hovering in that 4 game swing for what seems like an eternity. Finally seeing that play we’ve been dying for.

Marcus was otherworldly on defense good lord Jaylen was solid on offense and good on defense. Timelord is now just great pretty much every game making so many plays on both ends. Grant again good another great team dub.

Also who was that guy constantly smiling wearing a number 8 jersey? Almost looked like kemba Walker instead of kambridge Walkershire his evil twin who is terrible at basketball. Really tho he looked good an quietly pesky on d for stretches.
1st banana
Starter
And1: 3,002

Post#123 » by 1st banana » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:16 pm

BFitzMoney wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
Jammer wrote:
Can he got his own shot? The two key elements of being a closer are being able to get your own shot, and being able to make it when you only have one chance and the TEAM"S life depends on it. Don't think Fournier fits that description.

create no.. I do think he can make a big shot.... But Tatum should have the ball go through his hands first and always.. either way..

I believe anyone that says Fournier can't create his own shot hasn't watched him play enough when he was in Orlando.

That might legit be his biggest strength as a player. He’s been creating his own shot since his Denver days.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,141

Post#124 » by playa-hater » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:53 pm

BFitzMoney wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
Jammer wrote:
Can he got his own shot? The two key elements of being a closer are being able to get your own shot, and being able to make it when you only have one chance and the TEAM"S life depends on it. Don't think Fournier fits that description.

create no.. I do think he can make a big shot.... But Tatum should have the ball go through his hands first and always.. either way..

I believe anyone that says Fournier can't create his own shot hasn't watched him play enough when he was in Orlando.

My fault for not being clearer. Fournier can create his own shot, so can Marcus and J Brown, I was thinking more along the lines of a true closer (Tatum) Fournier-Brown-Kemba-Smart can all help, but I don't consider any but Tatum as a true closer.

But I do consider Fournier as very good play-maker overall. capable of creating for others just as easily as himself..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS

Return to Boston Celtics