ImageImageImage

Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular/Post-Season Thread, Part 2

Moderators: ParticleMan, Froob, canman1971, The Comedian, Parliament10, sully00, djFan71

bucknersrevenge
Head Coach
Posts: 7,112
And1: 7,875
Joined: Jul 05, 2012
Location: Southern Maryland
Contact:
         

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#101 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon May 3, 2021 2:38 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Basically ~$139 mil is already tied up on 12 players next season (assuming Tatum makes All-NBA and Jabari is kept). FRP at 18th or something is adding another $3 mil. so already well into tax. I don't think Fournier is coming back.


He may not. He very well could be the odd man out unless they find a taker for Kemba. That would be a shame because I think if you gave Fournier 15 shots a game playing off Tatum's gravity he could do a lot with it.
I am the RealGM President of the Tacko Fall fan club. Playa-hater, 31to6, thank you for having my back fam. I still say we haven't seen the last of Tacko.
chrisab123
General Manager
Posts: 9,792
And1: 6,032
Joined: Jul 07, 2012
         

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#102 » by chrisab123 » Mon May 3, 2021 2:48 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:Basically ~$139 mil is already tied up on 12 players next season (assuming Tatum makes All-NBA and Jabari is kept). FRP at 18th or something is adding another $3 mil. so already well into tax. I don't think Fournier is coming back.


He may not. He very well could be the odd man out unless they find a taker for Kemba. That would be a shame because I think if you gave Fournier 15 shots a game playing off Tatum's gravity he could do a lot with it.


If I went from being a critical piece in a rotation in my free agent year to being behind Marcus Smart in the shot taking pecking order I'd probably want to bounce too. I would say he'd be an excellent sign and trade candidate but we all know Danny wants top value for that stuff anyways.

Maybe package Fournette in a S&T with Kemba and Smart. This whole backcourt needs to go.
BK_2020
Starter
Posts: 2,480
And1: 2,273
Joined: Sep 08, 2020
   

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#103 » by BK_2020 » Mon May 3, 2021 3:25 pm

Fournier was dumped for 2 second rounders, he's not getting anything good back in a SnT.
bucknersrevenge
Head Coach
Posts: 7,112
And1: 7,875
Joined: Jul 05, 2012
Location: Southern Maryland
Contact:
         

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#104 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon May 3, 2021 3:29 pm

chrisab123 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:Basically ~$139 mil is already tied up on 12 players next season (assuming Tatum makes All-NBA and Jabari is kept). FRP at 18th or something is adding another $3 mil. so already well into tax. I don't think Fournier is coming back.


He may not. He very well could be the odd man out unless they find a taker for Kemba. That would be a shame because I think if you gave Fournier 15 shots a game playing off Tatum's gravity he could do a lot with it.


If I went from being a critical piece in a rotation in my free agent year to being behind Marcus Smart in the shot taking pecking order I'd probably want to bounce too. I would say he'd be an excellent sign and trade candidate but we all know Danny wants top value for that stuff anyways.

Maybe package Fournette in a S&T with Kemba and Smart. This whole backcourt needs to go.


I like Kemba and Smart. But in the end, I'm having trouble disagreeing with you to be honest. I mean, I guess for me where it all comes down. I want to put efficient players and ball movers around Tatum. That's it. That's the deal. I know you get a lot of things with Smart but I'm not willing to pay upwards of 18, 19, 20M for that efficiency regardless of the other things he does for this team. Personal opinion. I'm just not. Love Kemba. And actually love how's starting to evolve into a little bit more of a guy who makes plays for others. His durability is a big concern for me though. Now if he just studs out and turns back into that #2 guy he was last year, awesome. But we've learned throughout the years that Brad's system was built to maximize the talents of MANY a PG which is why I don't put a premium on top dollar guys at that position.
I am the RealGM President of the Tacko Fall fan club. Playa-hater, 31to6, thank you for having my back fam. I still say we haven't seen the last of Tacko.
User avatar
bisme37
Head Coach
Posts: 6,695
And1: 17,573
Joined: May 24, 2014
 

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#105 » by bisme37 » Mon May 3, 2021 3:41 pm

Fournier says he feels like he has a concussion since his covid bout.

“I’ve been feeling really weird, to be honest,” Fournier explained. “My plan was to stop talking about it so it might help me, but the thing is, it's like I have a concussion. Right now, it’s actually doing a little bit better. But at first, it’s like the bright lights were bothering my eyes and my vision was blurry and everything was just going too fast for me. And, I mean, that’s still the case. Some stuff are better. But at times, I’m really struggling to focus and my eyes are struggling to focus on one thing. My depth perception is really bad right now. But I saw a specialist, and she gave me some exercises. Hopefully, it'll get better.”

"So, it’s kind of a golden opportunity for me to finally be with a great team and the fact that I got COVID and now I’m feeling like this, it’s heartbreaking, to be honest. So, that’s the hard part. You guys don’t know me yet, but I’m mentally as tough as it gets and I get through that for sure.”


https://www.yahoo.com/sports/celtics-evan-fournier-gives-candid-141252967.html
playa-hater
Analyst
Posts: 3,053
And1: 3,071
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#106 » by playa-hater » Mon May 3, 2021 4:15 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:It occurs to me that we're probably teed up for a quiet offseason. The roster isn't really that thin any more.

The biggest need is to coach up the guys to play more cohesively, at both ends of the floor. Roster continuity is usually helpful to that.


well we do still have our 1st rd draft pick so.. draft or trade is still out there
Boston will never win 18 BECAUSE of Brad Stevens
playa-hater
Analyst
Posts: 3,053
And1: 3,071
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#107 » by playa-hater » Mon May 3, 2021 4:19 pm

bisme37 wrote:Fournier says he feels like he has a concussion since his covid bout.

“I’ve been feeling really weird, to be honest,” Fournier explained. “My plan was to stop talking about it so it might help me, but the thing is, it's like I have a concussion. Right now, it’s actually doing a little bit better. But at first, it’s like the bright lights were bothering my eyes and my vision was blurry and everything was just going too fast for me. And, I mean, that’s still the case. Some stuff are better. But at times, I’m really struggling to focus and my eyes are struggling to focus on one thing. My depth perception is really bad right now. But I saw a specialist, and she gave me some exercises. Hopefully, it'll get better.”

"So, it’s kind of a golden opportunity for me to finally be with a great team and the fact that I got COVID and now I’m feeling like this, it’s heartbreaking, to be honest. So, that’s the hard part. You guys don’t know me yet, but I’m mentally as tough as it gets and I get through that for sure.”


https://www.yahoo.com/sports/celtics-evan-fournier-gives-candid-141252967.html


yeah you could tell that there is/was something off.
Boston will never win 18 BECAUSE of Brad Stevens
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
Posts: 28,914
And1: 15,796
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#108 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon May 3, 2021 8:16 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Basically ~$139 mil is already tied up on 12 players next season (assuming Tatum makes All-NBA and Jabari is kept). FRP at 18th or something is adding another $3 mil. so already well into tax. I don't think Fournier is coming back.


There's some support for that view in Fournier's quote that it is "heartbreaking" that this season doesn't seem to be coming together.

That said, Milwaukee in retrospect was wrong to choose between Brogdon and Bledsoe, because of what they had to do later to avoid losing Giannis. OKC was even more wrong to choose between Harden and Ibaka. So I have strong hope Wyc can draw the correct conclusions from examples like that.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
Posts: 28,914
And1: 15,796
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#109 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon May 3, 2021 8:36 pm

playa-hater wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:It occurs to me that we're probably teed up for a quiet offseason. The roster isn't really that thin any more.

The biggest need is to coach up the guys to play more cohesively, at both ends of the floor. Roster continuity is usually helpful to that.


well we do still have our 1st rd draft pick so.. draft or trade is still out there


Yep.

Quiet =/= utterly stagnant.

But we have a full rotation with some backups. We have a few vets, one with championship experience. There's room for a couple of upgrades, developmental guys, or hybrids (by which I mean deep bench upgrades who might develop into something more).

What I don't expect is blowing up the roster, major roster overhauls, or change for change's sake. There will of course be discussion of low-likelihood-of-fruition big deals. But absent one of those coming through, I predict calmness.

Speaking of big deals -- I do think Jaylen is more tradeable than he was, since he's now recognized as a young all-star, who'd fit on almost any roster, and who is a high-character guy widely respected around the league. I.e., he'd properly be viewed as immensely valuable (and currently underpaid). Still, the chance of such a deal remains low.
GoGreen
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,791
And1: 2,058
Joined: Jul 19, 2017
 

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#110 » by GoGreen » Mon May 3, 2021 9:02 pm

Cmon guys. It's sad that so many are already accepting Fournier isn't coming back simply because of money. Seriously? That wasn't the sentiment here at the trade deadline.

Y'all are okay just having cheap owners unwilling to pay into the tax? And yall defend it? Cool. Good luck being a treadmill team cause that's what we're looking at if Wyc & company just decide they want to be good enough, but not great. Defend multi billionaires if you want to die on that hill. I'm not. These guys have plenty of money and it's frustrating how they get off free and easy because fans like playing GM.

Do what you gotta do to build a competitive team. Gotta dump Kemba? Smart? Fine. If it hurts your wallet for a year or two, good. Shows me you care. Sign guys who can grow with the team, Evan is one of those guys. Otherwise, have fun watching Danny dump more assets for nothing because of bookkeeping.

A quiet off season should not be allowed. Where has the outrage gone?
BK_2020
Starter
Posts: 2,480
And1: 2,273
Joined: Sep 08, 2020
   

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#111 » by BK_2020 » Mon May 3, 2021 9:09 pm

GoGreen wrote:Cmon guys. It's sad that so many are already accepting Fournier isn't coming back simply because of money. Seriously? That wasn't the sentiment here at the trade deadline.

Y'all are okay just having cheap owners unwilling to pay into the tax? And yall defend it? Cool. Good luck being a treadmill team cause that's what we're looking at if Wyc & company just decide they want to be good enough, but not great. Defend multi billionaires if you want to die on that hill. I'm not. These guys have plenty of money and it's frustrating how they get off free and easy because fans like playing GM.

Do what you gotta do to build a competitive team. Gotta dump Kemba? Smart? Fine. If it hurts your wallet for a year or two, good. Shows me you care. Sign guys who can grow with the team, Evan is one of those guys. Otherwise, have fun watching Danny dump more assets for nothing because of bookkeeping.

A quiet off season should not be allowed. Where has the outrage gone?

I don't understand your point? We don't get to decide whether the owners will go $20-$30 mil. into the tax or not.
But we sure as hell can make educated guesses and the smart money is on the owners not going $30 mil into the tax for Evan freaking Fournier.
GoGreen
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,791
And1: 2,058
Joined: Jul 19, 2017
 

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#112 » by GoGreen » Mon May 3, 2021 9:15 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
GoGreen wrote:Cmon guys. It's sad that so many are already accepting Fournier isn't coming back simply because of money. Seriously? That wasn't the sentiment here at the trade deadline.

Y'all are okay just having cheap owners unwilling to pay into the tax? And yall defend it? Cool. Good luck being a treadmill team cause that's what we're looking at if Wyc & company just decide they want to be good enough, but not great. Defend multi billionaires if you want to die on that hill. I'm not. These guys have plenty of money and it's frustrating how they get off free and easy because fans like playing GM.

Do what you gotta do to build a competitive team. Gotta dump Kemba? Smart? Fine. If it hurts your wallet for a year or two, good. Shows me you care. Sign guys who can grow with the team, Evan is one of those guys. Otherwise, have fun watching Danny dump more assets for nothing because of bookkeeping.

A quiet off season should not be allowed. Where has the outrage gone?

I don't understand your point? We don't get to decide whether the owners will go $20-$30 mil. into the tax or not.
But we sure as hell can make educated guesses and the smart money is on the owners not going $30 mil into the tax for Evan freaking Fournier.


So why did they even trade for him? What's the point? He's just gonna walk and this team is going to be worse at the end of the off season? And we should just all be okay with that? That sucks, and it's a far cry from where we were as fans a month ago. Evan, when healthy, has been outstanding. You keep guys like that. Not let them go for bookkeeping.
GoGreen
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,791
And1: 2,058
Joined: Jul 19, 2017
 

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#113 » by GoGreen » Mon May 3, 2021 9:21 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
GoGreen wrote:Cmon guys. It's sad that so many are already accepting Fournier isn't coming back simply because of money. Seriously? That wasn't the sentiment here at the trade deadline.

Y'all are okay just having cheap owners unwilling to pay into the tax? And yall defend it? Cool. Good luck being a treadmill team cause that's what we're looking at if Wyc & company just decide they want to be good enough, but not great. Defend multi billionaires if you want to die on that hill. I'm not. These guys have plenty of money and it's frustrating how they get off free and easy because fans like playing GM.

Do what you gotta do to build a competitive team. Gotta dump Kemba? Smart? Fine. If it hurts your wallet for a year or two, good. Shows me you care. Sign guys who can grow with the team, Evan is one of those guys. Otherwise, have fun watching Danny dump more assets for nothing because of bookkeeping.

A quiet off season should not be allowed. Where has the outrage gone?

I don't understand your point? We don't get to decide whether the owners will go $20-$30 mil. into the tax or not.
But we sure as hell can make educated guesses and the smart money is on the owners not going $30 mil into the tax for Evan freaking Fournier.



Btw I do get your point, though. I'm just expressing frustration at our ownership
cloverleaf
General Manager
Posts: 7,508
And1: 4,721
Joined: Feb 10, 2007

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#114 » by cloverleaf » Mon May 3, 2021 10:17 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
GoGreen wrote:Cmon guys. It's sad that so many are already accepting Fournier isn't coming back simply because of money. Seriously? That wasn't the sentiment here at the trade deadline.

Y'all are okay just having cheap owners unwilling to pay into the tax? And yall defend it? Cool. Good luck being a treadmill team cause that's what we're looking at if Wyc & company just decide they want to be good enough, but not great. Defend multi billionaires if you want to die on that hill. I'm not. These guys have plenty of money and it's frustrating how they get off free and easy because fans like playing GM.

Do what you gotta do to build a competitive team. Gotta dump Kemba? Smart? Fine. If it hurts your wallet for a year or two, good. Shows me you care. Sign guys who can grow with the team, Evan is one of those guys. Otherwise, have fun watching Danny dump more assets for nothing because of bookkeeping.

A quiet off season should not be allowed. Where has the outrage gone?

I don't understand your point? We don't get to decide whether the owners will go $20-$30 mil. into the tax or not.
But we sure as hell can make educated guesses and the smart money is on the owners not going $30 mil into the tax for Evan freaking Fournier.


If Fournier is the only decent, vet 20-ppg scorer the C's can add to their roster this summer, and he's amenable, I fully expect the C's to cough up the maybe $20M it will take them. They need to show a commitment to winning next year by balancing their youth with some prime vet talent, and Fournier is a good fit for them.

I thought Fournier's comments last night actually made it sound like he still would like to re-sign with the team, which is a good thing. What Wyc wasn't looking to do was to trigger the repeater tax for a noncompetitive team. But they have teed him up to add to their roster next year, when being penny wise but pound foolish would not be a good idea.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
Posts: 28,914
And1: 15,796
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#115 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed May 5, 2021 12:19 am

GoGreen wrote:Cmon guys. It's sad that so many are already accepting Fournier isn't coming back simply because of money. Seriously? That wasn't the sentiment here at the trade deadline.

Y'all are okay just having cheap owners unwilling to pay into the tax? And yall defend it? Cool. Good luck being a treadmill team cause that's what we're looking at if Wyc & company just decide they want to be good enough, but not great. Defend multi billionaires if you want to die on that hill. I'm not. These guys have plenty of money and it's frustrating how they get off free and easy because fans like playing GM.

Do what you gotta do to build a competitive team. Gotta dump Kemba? Smart? Fine. If it hurts your wallet for a year or two, good. Shows me you care. Sign guys who can grow with the team, Evan is one of those guys. Otherwise, have fun watching Danny dump more assets for nothing because of bookkeeping.

A quiet off season should not be allowed. Where has the outrage gone?


Yes, it is sad that people fill the screen with posts ranting about the awfulness of Fournier not being re-signed, as if they had any substantial evidence that that is what likely will happen.
playa-hater
Analyst
Posts: 3,053
And1: 3,071
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#116 » by playa-hater » Wed May 5, 2021 1:30 am

My 69,000 dollar question is would you give up our 1st (currently 18ish) to "dump" Kemba.? with the main benefit of saving a ton of money that can be used to extend Smart and/or Fournier and other possible signings down the road?

*also gets PP a bigger role (which I believe he is ready for?)

as well as getting rid of a potentially poor playoff defender.

Do the Pro's outweigh the Con's on this one?
Boston will never win 18 BECAUSE of Brad Stevens
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 31,981
And1: 34,337
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#117 » by Parliament10 » Wed May 5, 2021 3:35 am

Image
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
RB34
Head Coach
Posts: 6,255
And1: 8,261
Joined: Nov 14, 2017
     

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#118 » by RB34 » Wed May 5, 2021 3:56 am

Is there a possibility we could turn Kemba into Lonzo in the offseason?
User avatar
The Comedian
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 13,144
And1: 35,425
Joined: Jun 25, 2006
       

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#119 » by The Comedian » Wed May 5, 2021 4:04 am

RB34 wrote:Is there a possibility we could turn Kemba into Lonzo in the offseason?


Image
bucknersrevenge
Head Coach
Posts: 7,112
And1: 7,875
Joined: Jul 05, 2012
Location: Southern Maryland
Contact:
         

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#120 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed May 5, 2021 4:33 am

playa-hater wrote:My 69,000 dollar question is would you give up our 1st (currently 18ish) to "dump" Kemba.? with the main benefit of saving a ton of money that can be used to extend Smart and/or Fournier and other possible signings down the road?

*also gets PP a bigger role (which I believe he is ready for?)

as well as getting rid of a potentially poor playoff defender.

Do the Pro's outweigh the Con's on this one?


I think I would and I think they do.
I am the RealGM President of the Tacko Fall fan club. Playa-hater, 31to6, thank you for having my back fam. I still say we haven't seen the last of Tacko.

Return to Boston Celtics