ImageImageImage

Official Celtics 2021-22 Season Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,069

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#141 » by keevsnick1 » Sat May 8, 2021 4:57 am

So right now the standings are

4) NYL 37-30 (@LAC, @LAL,vsSAS,vsCHA, vsBOS)
5) ATL 31-31 (vsWAS, vsWAS, vsORL, vsHOU)
6) MIA 36-31 (@BOS, @BOS, vsPHI, @MIL, @DET)
7) BOS 35-32 (vsMIA, vsMIA, @CLE, @MIN, @NYK).

So what needs to happen?

BOS plays NYK the last game of the year, if they win that they also get the tie breaker. So they can still pass NYK if they win one more game than them in the next 4 games AND beat them the last game of the season. NYK has some pretty tough games left against both the LA teams and CHA/SAS who are both in the playoff hunt.

To pass ATL, BOS needs to lose 2 fewer games than ATL the rest of the year because ATL already has the tie breaker. This is a tough one because ATL only has four games left but two of those are WAS who is playing VERY well and still chasing positioning in the play in round.

BOS plays its next two against MIA. If BOS sweeps they will move one game up on MIA WITH the tie breaker with only three to play which would nearly lock in a better finish than MIA. If BOS splits the next two with MIA then BOS get's the tie breaker, but BOS would need to lose one fewer game over each teams last three to pull even and pass MIA with that tie breaker. Not impossible given MIA plays both PHI who may still be trying to lock up the 1 seed, and MIL who will be trying to lock up the 2 seed, in their final three games.

TLDR: So basically its gonna be hard to pass ATL unless they WIN out. They can lose MAYBE one more game (say a split against MIA) and still stand a chance of passing either/or NYK or MIA as long as they win all their other remaining games (including the last game against NYK) in part because NYK and MIA have some tough games left and BOS would own the tiebreakers.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,887

Post#142 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat May 8, 2021 11:14 am

It seemed minor then but dumping Kanter turning out to be a huge mistake. Could've just kept both him and Theis without signing Thompson and still avoided the tax. Now Timelord could't be relied upon to stay on the floor 'cos he's made of glass. TT rebounds. That's it. Borderline awful defender. Takes horrendous hooks inside, clogs the lane, doesn't space the floor, isn't a lob threat, and rarely passes.

If there's one thing I could change in the offseason, it would be this. Since Hayward thing was out of our hands.
Maple Green
Starter
And1: 79

Post#143 » by Maple Green » Sat May 8, 2021 12:43 pm

4) NYL 37-30 (@LAC, @LAL,vsSAS,vsCHA, vsBOS) 1-4 = 38-34 (they only win is Charlotte)
5) ATL 37-31 (vsWAS, vsWAS, vsORL, vsHOU) 1-3=38-34 only win Orlando
6) MIA 36-31 (@BOS, @BOS, vsPHI, @MIL, @DET) 2-3= 38-34 (split with Boston)
7) BOS 35-32 (vsMIA, vsMIA, @CLE, @MIN, @NYK) 4-1=39-33 (split with Miami)

We overtake NYK base on respective schedule .
GotDaSauce
RealGM
And1: 9,704

Post#144 » by GotDaSauce » Sat May 8, 2021 2:12 pm

Maple Green wrote:4) NYL 37-30 (@LAC, @LAL,vsSAS,vsCHA, vsBOS) 1-4 = 38-34 (they only win is Charlotte)
5) ATL 37-31 (vsWAS, vsWAS, vsORL, vsHOU) 1-3=38-34 only win Orlando
6) MIA 36-31 (@BOS, @BOS, vsPHI, @MIL, @DET) 2-3= 38-34 (split with Boston)
7) BOS 35-32 (vsMIA, vsMIA, @CLE, @MIN, @NYK) 4-1=39-33 (split with Miami)

We overtake NYK base on respective schedule .

With this team I wouldn't bank on any sure fire wins even if we happened to play OKC our last 5 games!
Knicks seemed to have it more together right now tbh.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,030

Post#145 » by exculpatory » Sat May 8, 2021 10:21 pm

keevsnick1 wrote:So right now the standings are

4) NYL 37-30 (@LAC, @LAL,vsSAS,vsCHA, vsBOS)
5) ATL 31-31 (vsWAS, vsWAS, vsORL, vsHOU)
6) MIA 36-31 (@BOS, @BOS, vsPHI, @MIL, @DET)
7) BOS 35-32 (vsMIA, vsMIA, @CLE, @MIN, @NYK).

So what needs to happen?

BOS plays NYK the last game of the year, if they win that they also get the tie breaker. So they can still pass NYK if they win one more game than them in the next 4 games AND beat them the last game of the season. NYK has some pretty tough games left against both the LA teams and CHA/SAS who are both in the playoff hunt.

To pass ATL, BOS needs to lose 2 fewer games than ATL the rest of the year because ATL already has the tie breaker. This is a tough one because ATL only has four games left but two of those are WAS who is playing VERY well and still chasing positioning in the play in round.

BOS plays its next two against MIA. If BOS sweeps they will move one game up on MIA WITH the tie breaker with only three to play which would nearly lock in a better finish than MIA. If BOS splits the next two with MIA then BOS get's the tie breaker, but BOS would need to lose one fewer game over each teams last three to pull even and pass MIA with that tie breaker. Not impossible given MIA plays both PHI who may still be trying to lock up the 1 seed, and MIL who will be trying to lock up the 2 seed, in their final three games.

TLDR: So basically its gonna be hard to pass ATL unless they WIN out. They can lose MAYBE one more game (say a split against MIA) and still stand a chance of passing either/or NYK or MIA as long as they win all their other remaining games (including the last game against NYK) in part because NYK and MIA have some tough games left and BOS would own the tiebreakers.

Great great great post!

I am moving all of this to the Remaining Schedule & Seeding Thread - where I added my responses!
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,948

Post#146 » by Parliament10 » Sun May 9, 2021 12:02 am

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,401

Post#147 » by threrf23 » Sun May 9, 2021 12:09 am

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

They shouldn't have chosen Mother's Day for this.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#148 » by Parliament10 » Sun May 9, 2021 12:10 am

threrf23 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

They shouldn't have chosen Mother's Day for this.

Yeah. Really weird choice of days.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular/Post-Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#149 » by Parliament10 » Sun May 9, 2021 12:23 am

What do y'all think our Playoff Rotation will be?

Playoff Rotation:
Starters: Kemba - Fournier - Brown - Tatum - R.Williams
Rotation: Pritchard - Smart - Nesmith - Thompson

Spot Mins: Langford - G.Williams - Kornet
Reserves: - Edwards - Ojeleye - Parker
Two-Ways: Waters - Fall
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,692

Post#150 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun May 9, 2021 3:11 am

Usually when I post a CelticsBlog link, the author is Smitty. But I'll make an exception for this one:

https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/5/8/22426211/chicago-bulls-size-and-length-is-a-worrying-issue-for-the-boston-celtics-nikola-vucevic

Basically, it makes an argument that the Celtics are afraid to attack defenses that have a lot of length. I agree as far as that goes, and would add my theory as to a reason:

If you're going to attack such defenses, you need to do so rapidly and with precision, and the Celtics have been lacking in both. I.e., they're RIGHTLY afraid to attack such defenses.

Conveniently, this fits with my longstanding view that Brad has to do a much better job of teaching offensive Xs and Os.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#151 » by djFan71 » Sun May 9, 2021 4:58 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:It seemed minor then but dumping Kanter turning out to be a huge mistake. Could've just kept both him and Theis without signing Thompson and still avoided the tax. Now Timelord could't be relied upon to stay on the floor 'cos he's made of glass. TT rebounds. That's it. Borderline awful defender. Takes horrendous hooks inside, clogs the lane, doesn't space the floor, isn't a lob threat, and rarely passes.

If there's one thing I could change in the offseason, it would be this. Since Hayward thing was out of our hands.

Then we would have had to dump #30 on somebody else so we could still keep Semi and Javonte.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#152 » by Curmudgeon » Sun May 9, 2021 8:12 pm

Parliament10 wrote:What do y'all think our Playoff Rotation will be?

Playoff Rotation:
Starters: Kemba - Fournier - Brown - Tatum - R.Williams
Rotation: Pritchard - Smart - Nesmith - Thompson

Spot Mins: Langford - G.Williams - Kornet
Reserves: - Edwards - Ojeleye - Parker
Two-Ways: Waters - Fall

I wouldn't assume anything unless they actually make it. Two losses against the Knicks (a real possibility) could put an end to the season.

In any even't their playoff rotation is only going to be for 4-5 games. This team, I'm sorry to say, is toast. No frontcourt when Timelord is on the bench. Nada.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#153 » by GoGreen » Sun May 9, 2021 11:58 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:It seemed minor then but dumping Kanter turning out to be a huge mistake. Could've just kept both him and Theis without signing Thompson and still avoided the tax. Now Timelord could't be relied upon to stay on the floor 'cos he's made of glass. TT rebounds. That's it. Borderline awful defender. Takes horrendous hooks inside, clogs the lane, doesn't space the floor, isn't a lob threat, and rarely passes.

The "magic" of Danny Ainge :roll: :banghead:
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#154 » by Curmudgeon » Mon May 10, 2021 12:30 am

Ainge should have traded jaylen Brown for James Wiseman if and when he had the chance.

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#155 » by Gomes3PC » Mon May 10, 2021 1:32 am

Curmudgeon wrote:Ainge should have traded jaylen Brown for James Wiseman if and when he had the chance.

No, no he should not have. That's a move that basically would have precipitated an inevitable "Trade Me" call from Jayson Tatum.

Ainge maybe should have tossed 5 1sts to NOP to get Jrue for Kemba to move off his bum knee.

Ainge maybe should have used Jaylen and all those picks to get Harden.

But no, Ainge should not have traded Brown for a guy who is multiple years from helping make this team better.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#156 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon May 10, 2021 3:25 am

There have been a LOT of vet centers that either Danny paid to dump or that clearly failed based on (other) evidence, including LaFrentz, Pollard, both O'Neals, Kristic, Baynes, Kanter ...
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#157 » by Curmudgeon » Mon May 10, 2021 11:53 am

Gomes3PC wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:Ainge should have traded jaylen Brown for James Wiseman if and when he had the chance.

No, no he should not have. That's a move that basically would have precipitated an inevitable "Trade Me" call from Jayson Tatum.

Ainge maybe should have tossed 5 1sts to NOP to get Jrue for Kemba to move off his bum knee.

But no, Ainge should not have traded Brown for a guy who is multiple years from helping make this team better.

Wiseman makes this team better right now, whereas Brown is replaceable. They've got Nesmith Langford and Fournier who play the same position. Wiseman over TT is a much bigger upgrade than Brown over Nesmith or Fournier.

Of course I'm assuming Golden Stater would do it, and they probably wouldn't. They know the value of a skilled 7-1 player.

Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular/Post-Season Thread 

Post#158 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon May 10, 2021 12:01 pm

Jaylen is traditionally the guy who carries the team in the first quarter.
Jaylen has been hurt recently.
First quarters have gone badly recently.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular/Post-Season Thread 

Post#159 » by Curmudgeon » Mon May 10, 2021 12:22 pm

Jaylen doesn't take care of the ball and he's a black hole.

JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#160 » by JediMasterRevan » Mon May 10, 2021 12:26 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:

Wiseman makes this team better right now, whereas Brown is replaceable. They've got Nesmith Langford and Fournier who play the same position. Wiseman over TT is a much bigger upgrade than Brown over Nesmith or Fournier.

Of course I'm assuming Golden Stater would do it, and they probably wouldn't. They know the value of a skilled 7-1 player.

Wiseman improves the team, yes.

Wiseman is not worth brown though.

I would do
Fournier resigned at 18 mill
Thompson
Langford
Edwards

for
Wiggins
Wiseman

Return to Boston Celtics