ImageImageImage

Official Celtics 2021-22 Season Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#21 » by Gomes3PC » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:55 am

Tatum has been an MVP caliber player in April:

29.3/8.3/3.6 on 52/43/91 shooting.

Want to know why we are winning? Because our best player is playing his best basketball of the season.

IDK if he can keep this up, but if he does, and we get JB/Fournier healthy, we will be a tough out.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,839

Post#22 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:05 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:Tatum has been an MVP caliber player in April:

Want to know why we are winning? Because our best player is playing his best basketball of the season.

IDK if he can keep this up, but if he does, and we get JB/Fournier healthy, we will be a tough out.

Yep, we can point out several factors that helped turn the season around but ultimately it's due to Tatum elevating his play, and to a lesser extent, Jaylen being the best Robin he can be to Tatum's Batman. Maybe not far behind is our team defense no longer being trash. We stand a chance every game if Tatum can keep up this clutch performance and our defense is at the very least passable.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,578

Post#23 » by bisme37 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:41 pm

Read on Twitter
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#24 » by djFan71 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:19 pm

bisme37 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Mna, I hope so. Shaq is right on Kemba. If he consistently gives us 22 ppg in the playoffs, we're a team that can do stuff. Being able to have 2 of Jays, Kemba, Evan on the floor at any point is huge. No more single Jay trying to carry lineups with 2-3 complete non-scorers. Hopefully no more Grant/Semi combos ever. One out there is fine, both is brutal.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,839

Post#25 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:33 pm

djFan71 wrote:
bisme37 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Mna, I hope so. Shaq is right on Kemba. If he consistently gives us 22 ppg in the playoffs, we're a team that can do stuff. Being able to have 2 of Jays, Kemba, Evan on the floor at any point is huge. No more single Jay trying to carry lineups with 2-3 complete non-scorers. Hopefully no more Grant/Semi combos ever. One out there is fine, both is brutal.

I'm with you all the way with this, but the small sample below just boggles the mind. I will just chalk this up to data noise. So we haven't used the combo that much. And we might never see it again once Fournier/Timelord are healthy and Parker is fully integrated.

When Grant and Semi are both ON the floor...

djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by djFan71 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:18 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
bisme37 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm with you all the way with this, but the small sample below just boggles the mind. I will just chalk this up to data noise. So we haven't used the combo that much. And we might never see it again once Fournier/Timelord are healthy and Parker is fully integrated.

When Grant and Semi are both ON the floor...

I'll cling to the small sample size thing too, lol. The other 3 can actually score in that scenario, so that helps. Maybe we can survive 2 non-scorers for little stretches when Tatum goes off?
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,836

Post#27 » by bucknersrevenge » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:37 pm

I'll take it a step further from last night. With about 10 games left, I'm all for beginning to shrink the rotation to a tight 8 of current starting 5 with Fournier/Parker/TT in support. Marcus doubles as backup ballhandler. Barring foul trouble or situational matchup where you need defense (Romeo), more shooting (Pritchard), or more size (Grant) for a few minutes here or there, you stick with that 8 and let them build as much continuity together as possible heading into the playoffs.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,682

Post#28 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:05 am

bucknersrevenge wrote:I'll take it a step further from last night. With about 10 games left, I'm all for beginning to shrink the rotation to a tight 8 of current starting 5 with Fournier/Parker/TT in support. Marcus doubles as backup ballhandler. Barring foul trouble or situational matchup where you need defense (Romeo), more shooting (Pritchard), or more size (Grant) for a few minutes here or there, you stick with that 8 and let them build as much continuity together as possible heading into the playoffs.

I'm guessing Parker can't be relied on. A traditionally poor defender who hasn't had time to be coached up on his new team and in a new system is likely to be exploitable in the postseason.

Rather, I guess he'll be like an Enes Kanter -- when he's on the floor, both teams are likely to do more scoring.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by djFan71 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:47 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:I'll take it a step further from last night. With about 10 games left, I'm all for beginning to shrink the rotation to a tight 8 of current starting 5 with Fournier/Parker/TT in support. Marcus doubles as backup ballhandler. Barring foul trouble or situational matchup where you need defense (Romeo), more shooting (Pritchard), or more size (Grant) for a few minutes here or there, you stick with that 8 and let them build as much continuity together as possible heading into the playoffs.

I'm guessing Parker can't be relied on. A traditionally poor defender who hasn't had time to be coached up on his new team and in a new system is likely to be exploitable in the postseason.

Rather, I guess he'll be like an Enes Kanter -- when he's on the floor, both teams are likely to do more scoring.

Yeah, I'm not ready to anoint Jabari in the top 8 playoff rotation just yet. Enes is a good example. Some series jabari will play a lot, others it may be more Grant. I think we have a clear top 7 who are going to take up 220 minutes or so (45+/- for TT/Rob, 30-35 for Jays, Smart, Kemba, Evan). Then you make up the other 20 with PP, Jabari, Grant, Romeo depending on matchups / game needs. Then a random Semi stint we all get mad at, but is actually productive somehow.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,682

Post#30 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:51 am

djFan71 wrote:

Yeah, I'm not ready to anoint Jabari in the top 8 playoff rotation just yet. Enes is a good example. Some series jabari will play a lot, others it may be more Grant. I think we have a clear top 7 who are going to take up 220 minutes or so (45+/- for TT/Rob, 30-35 for Jays, Smart, Kemba, Evan). Then you make up the other 20 with PP, Jabari, Grant, Romeo depending on matchups / game needs. Then a random Semi stint we all get mad at, but is actually productive somehow.

Grant and Semi probably get a few more if-everybody-is-healthy minutes than that. And of course there's a high likelihood that at least one of the top guys will be injured/sick. But basically I agree with you.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by djFan71 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:54 am

djFan71 wrote:

Grant and Semi probably get a few more if-everybody-is-healthy minutes than that. And of course there's a high likelihood that at least one of the top guys will be injured/sick. But basically I agree with you.

Regular season, maybe, playoffs hopefully not. But you're probably right. Grant may steal some of Rob/TT's min - that +/- on the 45 may end up more minus than not.

As long as we give Fournier all the minutes he can handle to get comfortable once he's back, that's all I truly care about.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#32 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:58 pm

djFan71 wrote:

That's a fair counterpoint. He has to earn that trust of course.Either way it will be nice to avail Brad with decent options off the bench understanding that the core of his rotation is solid. And he can just mix and match for what he needs in given circumstances.

playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,533

Post#33 » by playa-hater » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:13 pm

I agree with a shrunken rotation, but PP should be a part of it. Doesn't have to be a big part. He is still smart and has the range/shooting ability to keep teams honest on defense. Though I never want to see Kemba and PP at the same time.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by djFan71 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:26 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
djFan71 wrote:

That's a fair counterpoint. He has to earn that trust of course.Either way it will be nice to avail Brad with decent options off the bench understanding that the core of his rotation is solid. And he can just mix and match for what he needs in given circumstances.

I'm easing my way in to the Jabari experience. I've come a long way in a few days. From "Jabari's a scrub that can't get time in SAC, why would we want him?" to "he's a good option to have off the bench." Who know what I'll be saying next week...
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#35 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:39 pm

djFan71 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
djFan71 wrote:Yeah, I'm not ready to anoint Jabari in the top 8 playoff rotation just yet. Enes is a good example. Some series jabari will play a lot, others it may be more Grant. I think we have a clear top 7 who are going to take up 220 minutes or so (45+/- for TT/Rob, 30-35 for Jays, Smart, Kemba, Evan). Then you make up the other 20 with PP, Jabari, Grant, Romeo depending on matchups / game needs. Then a random Semi stint we all get mad at, but is actually productive somehow.

I'm easing my way in to the Jabari experience. I've come a long way in a few days. From "Jabari's a scrub that can't get time in SAC, why would we want him?" to "he's a good option to have off the bench." Who know what I'll be saying next week...

How about something to the effect of...

"HOLY ****!!!! JABARI PARKER IS THE STEAL OF THE CENTURY!!!!!"

djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by djFan71 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:20 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:

How about something to the effect of...

"HOLY ****!!!! JABARI PARKER IS THE STEAL OF THE CENTURY!!!!!"

Just a brief stop there before proposing Tatum & Brown trades to rebuild around Jabari.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#37 » by cloverleaf » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:11 pm

Absolutely. And before he extracted his AS head, his selfish play was leading the team down the sink as well.

He got it late last season as well, but then came back in me-me mode this year. Let's hope this time it sticks, even if just because he has realized for good that the route to the most me-me rewards for him is to play the right way.

He is a league MVP-level talent. Fortunately he seems once again to be on the course for that.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#38 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:25 pm

cloverleaf wrote:

Absolutely. And before he extracted his AS head, his selfish play was leading the team down the sink as well.

He got it late last season as well, but then came back in me-me mode this year. Let's hope this time it sticks, even if just because he has realized for good that the route to the most me-me rewards for him is to play the right way.

He is a league MVP-level talent. Fortunately he seems once again to be on the course for that.

Not to be ignored, he did have Covid. And he's been feeling the effects of that for much of the year. Maybe he's just also getting further away from that.

Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#39 » by Feed Your Head » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:31 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Not to be ignored, he did have Covid. And he's been feeling the effects of that for much of the year. Maybe he's just also getting further away from that.

That’s not as fun of a narrative though.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#40 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:40 pm

The Comedian wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

That’s not as fun of a narrative though.

Guess I'm just a kiljoy.

Return to Boston Celtics