ImageImageImage

Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular/Post-Season Thread, Part 2

Moderators: ParticleMan, Froob, canman1971, The Comedian, Parliament10, sully00, djFan71

User avatar
bisme37
Head Coach
Posts: 6,695
And1: 17,574
Joined: May 24, 2014
 

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#41 » by bisme37 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:42 pm

Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter
Gomes3PC
Head Coach
Posts: 7,443
And1: 3,356
Joined: Feb 10, 2006

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#42 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:11 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:Tatum has been an MVP caliber player in April:

29.3/8.3/3.6 on 52/43/91 shooting.

Want to know why we are winning? Because our best player is playing his best basketball of the season.

IDK if he can keep this up, but if he does, and we get JB/Fournier healthy, we will be a tough out.


Absolutely. And before he extracted his AS head, his selfish play was leading the team down the sink as well.

He got it late last season as well, but then came back in me-me mode this year. Let's hope this time it sticks, even if just because he has realized for good that the route to the most me-me rewards for him is to play the right way.

He is a league MVP-level talent. Fortunately he seems once again to be on the course for that.

You realize it was very likely due to COVID, right?

Tatum, first 10 games:
26.9/7.1/3.8 on 47/44/89 shooting (21 FGAs/game), Celtics are 7-3 in that span

<Misses time due to COVID, notes he had clear symptoms and after effects>

Following 21 until ASB games:
24.0/7.0/4.8 on 42/33/85 shooting (20.2 FGAs/game), Celtics are 9-12 in that span

And then look at this most recent stretch

The season went off the rails when he went out and until he got back from the ASB. We went 11-15 between his COVID stint and the time until the ASB when his shooting fell off a cliff and it looked visibly like the kid had no life in his game. Especially for a team without depth, having your best player fall from "All NBA 2nd Team" to "Decent All Star" was enough to put us in a tailspin.

Thankfully, he's back and barring another COVID issue or an injury, he's proven he can maintain this level of play. He did all spring pre-bubble, he did during the the bubble, he did during the playoffs, and he did before he got COVID this year.

To me, it's pretty obvious what is the anomalous stretch in the last 12 months for JT, and it's not his last 10 games.
cloverleaf
General Manager
Posts: 7,508
And1: 4,721
Joined: Feb 10, 2007

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#43 » by cloverleaf » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:25 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:Tatum has been an MVP caliber player in April:

29.3/8.3/3.6 on 52/43/91 shooting.

Want to know why we are winning? Because our best player is playing his best basketball of the season.

IDK if he can keep this up, but if he does, and we get JB/Fournier healthy, we will be a tough out.


Absolutely. And before he extracted his AS head, his selfish play was leading the team down the sink as well.

He got it late last season as well, but then came back in me-me mode this year. Let's hope this time it sticks, even if just because he has realized for good that the route to the most me-me rewards for him is to play the right way.

He is a league MVP-level talent. Fortunately he seems once again to be on the course for that.

You realize it was very likely due to COVID, right?

Tatum, first 10 games:
26.9/7.1/3.8 on 47/44/89 shooting (21 FGAs/game), Celtics are 7-3 in that span

<Misses time due to COVID, notes he had clear symptoms and after effects>

Following 21 until ASB games:
24.0/7.0/4.8 on 42/33/85 shooting (20.2 FGAs/game), Celtics are 9-12 in that span

And then look at this most recent stretch

The season went off the rails when he went out and until he got back from the ASB. We went 11-15 between his COVID stint and the time until the ASB when his shooting fell off a cliff and it looked visibly like the kid had no life in his game. Especially for a team without depth, having your best player fall from "All NBA 2nd Team" to "Decent All Star" was enough to put us in a tailspin.

Thankfully, he's back and barring another COVID issue or an injury, he's proven he can maintain this level of play. He did all spring pre-bubble, he did during the the bubble, he did during the playoffs, and he did before he got COVID this year.

To me, it's pretty obvious what is the anomalous stretch in the last 12 months for JT, and it's not his last 10 games.


I am sorry he had Covid and glad he now seems fully recovered, but I'm not buying that. It is style of nonteam vs. team play IMO.

You can disagree, but I think we've seen enough of it before--and it seems to have taken the bad Tweet from Perk (and other bad press) to get him to mend his ways again. I'm glad he has.
Gomes3PC
Head Coach
Posts: 7,443
And1: 3,356
Joined: Feb 10, 2006

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#44 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:31 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Absolutely. And before he extracted his AS head, his selfish play was leading the team down the sink as well.

He got it late last season as well, but then came back in me-me mode this year. Let's hope this time it sticks, even if just because he has realized for good that the route to the most me-me rewards for him is to play the right way.

He is a league MVP-level talent. Fortunately he seems once again to be on the course for that.

You realize it was very likely due to COVID, right?

Tatum, first 10 games:
26.9/7.1/3.8 on 47/44/89 shooting (21 FGAs/game), Celtics are 7-3 in that span

<Misses time due to COVID, notes he had clear symptoms and after effects>

Following 21 until ASB games:
24.0/7.0/4.8 on 42/33/85 shooting (20.2 FGAs/game), Celtics are 9-12 in that span

And then look at this most recent stretch

The season went off the rails when he went out and until he got back from the ASB. We went 11-15 between his COVID stint and the time until the ASB when his shooting fell off a cliff and it looked visibly like the kid had no life in his game. Especially for a team without depth, having your best player fall from "All NBA 2nd Team" to "Decent All Star" was enough to put us in a tailspin.

Thankfully, he's back and barring another COVID issue or an injury, he's proven he can maintain this level of play. He did all spring pre-bubble, he did during the the bubble, he did during the playoffs, and he did before he got COVID this year.

To me, it's pretty obvious what is the anomalous stretch in the last 12 months for JT, and it's not his last 10 games.


I am sorry he had Covid and glad he now seems fully recovered, but I'm not buying that. It is style of nonteam vs. team play IMO.

You can disagree, but I think we've seen enough of it before--and it seems to have taken the bad Tweet from Perk (and other bad press) to get him to mend his ways again. I'm glad he has.

Sure let's ignore the evidence of every stat and instead just say he was "being selfish" despite during that bad stretch he shot less and passed more.

"Team" play for Tatum means he needs to drive constantly to the rim and collapse the D, because basically nobody else on the team can do that as well as him (except Juice at times). When you have COVID and are winded more often, it's harder to drive, which is why you saw his midrange shots spike and his FTAs were pretty middling until this recent stretch.
playa-hater
Analyst
Posts: 3,053
And1: 3,071
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#45 » by playa-hater » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:17 pm

In reference to the Game thread and others concerning Romeo (and Nesmith) "looking lost", of course they do. It's a matter of lack of "game reps". Romeo due to missing so much time and Nesmith almost never getting a chance.

I said it before, for any player on any level to produce to their level of ability, they need a defined role and steady minutes. Sporadic playing time will never lead to consistency. The sooner Stevens settles on a short steady rotation the better for all concerned.
Boston will never win 18 BECAUSE of Brad Stevens
cloverleaf
General Manager
Posts: 7,508
And1: 4,721
Joined: Feb 10, 2007

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#46 » by cloverleaf » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:54 pm

User avatar
The Comedian
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 13,144
And1: 35,425
Joined: Jun 25, 2006
       

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#47 » by The Comedian » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:09 am

Tatum up to 9th.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
1st banana
Junior
Posts: 407
And1: 526
Joined: Feb 25, 2021
Location: San Diego, Ca
         

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#48 » by 1st banana » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:14 am

The Comedian wrote:Tatum up to 9th.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Pretty sure I see semi in that graphic lol.
User avatar
The Comedian
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 13,144
And1: 35,425
Joined: Jun 25, 2006
       

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#49 » by The Comedian » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:16 am

1st banana wrote:
The Comedian wrote:Tatum up to 9th.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Pretty sure I see semi in that graphic lol.


In the corner you don’t want to be in, as well.

I’d recognize those guns anywhere.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
Posts: 28,914
And1: 15,796
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#50 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:47 am

The Comedian wrote:
1st banana wrote:
The Comedian wrote:Tatum up to 9th.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Pretty sure I see semi in that graphic lol.


In the corner you don’t want to be in, as well.

I’d recognize those guns anywhere.


Yep. Semi is listed as among the worst in the league, several slots better than P. J. Tucker and one slot worse than Carmelo Anthony.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
Posts: 28,914
And1: 15,796
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#51 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:50 am

Time Lord has the next best ranking for a Celtic, slightly ahead of Khris Middleton and Brandon Ingram, but a few slots worse than Kelly Olynyk.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
Posts: 28,914
And1: 15,796
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#52 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:51 am

After that it's Kemba, right between John Collins and Mikal Bridges.
1st banana
Junior
Posts: 407
And1: 526
Joined: Feb 25, 2021
Location: San Diego, Ca
         

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#53 » by 1st banana » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:06 am

The Comedian wrote:
1st banana wrote:
The Comedian wrote:Tatum up to 9th.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Pretty sure I see semi in that graphic lol.


In the corner you don’t want to be in, as well.

I’d recognize those guns anywhere.

The guy really is shredded and he surprisingly is right next to Norman Powell in that graphic. Somehow I can’t imagine them being close to the same impact wise.
1st banana
Junior
Posts: 407
And1: 526
Joined: Feb 25, 2021
Location: San Diego, Ca
         

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#54 » by 1st banana » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:08 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:After that it's Kemba, right between John Collins and Mikal Bridges.

Wow that’s pretty solid considering both those other guys are having very good seasons.

Kemba quietly has been improving as of late really doing better with the drive and kicks.
User avatar
The Comedian
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 13,144
And1: 35,425
Joined: Jun 25, 2006
       

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#55 » by The Comedian » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:05 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
cloverleaf
General Manager
Posts: 7,508
And1: 4,721
Joined: Feb 10, 2007

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#56 » by cloverleaf » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:28 pm

The Comedian wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20


Those top 8 C's especially are just about how I'd rank them in importance to this year's team, including their relative numbers. Jabari now in that bench mix too, of course. (TT and PP pulling their numbers up a little tighter with their recent play, however.)
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 31,981
And1: 34,337
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#57 » by Parliament10 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:34 pm

Read on Twitter
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
djFan71
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 9,638
And1: 11,637
Joined: Jul 24, 2010
 

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#58 » by djFan71 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:09 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

If you never saw a game there, or a partial game behind a concrete pillar, you really missed out. :)
MaxwellSmart
Head Coach
Posts: 6,920
And1: 1,315
Joined: Jun 17, 2007

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#59 » by MaxwellSmart » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:13 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter


Flew all the way from LA in 1992....got to tour the locker room also....SO colorful inside the Old Garden.
playa-hater
Analyst
Posts: 3,053
And1: 3,071
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread, Part 2 

Post#60 » by playa-hater » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:02 am

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter


tears of joy..
Boston will never win 18 BECAUSE of Brad Stevens

Return to Boston Celtics