ImageImageImage

Hal’s Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Trilogy25
Freshman
And1: 124

Re: 2021 Craft Your Boston Celtics Draft Thread 

Post#141 » by Trilogy25 » Wed May 12, 2021 3:40 am

playa-hater wrote:Mathematically speaking, what is the best draft spot we can get based on potential record? NOT INCLUDING getting lucky in the top 3. Are we locked into the 14 pick regardless??

I really need something to hope for.

Assuming none of the other EC play-in teams finish the regular season ahead of Boston, #12 is possible

San Antonio would likely need to make the playoffs. The other three current Western Conference play-in teams have a better record for now.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,393

Post#142 » by threrf23 » Wed May 12, 2021 3:44 am

I've been starting to dig into this year's draft class. So far...

Jalen Green is my number one pick, just fits the profile of a stud.

I think Cade is likely overrated - which isn't saying a whole lot since many consider him a generational prospect. He's a bit old for his class, and has benefitted from a mature physique, and has been considered a top prospect for some time. Guys in that position often are led to believe they are better than they truly are and at least develop some bad habits. His rebounding numbers and his turnovers set him apart negatively from the guys he tends to get compared to. I have read that the offense around him last season lacked spacing, but still.

So far, I think Giddey's the guy I want where we are picking, but I expect his stock to rise. Maybe the youngest player in the draft, per 36 last season he averaged 12.5 pts, 8.3 rebounds, 8.5 assists, solid defensive stats and passable percentages. Scouting capsules point out no glaring weaknesses. In the same league, LaMelo Ball had posted 19.6 points, 7.9 assists, 8.7 rebounds, generally he scored more but was less foul efficient and posted lower percentages. Giddey's a skinny foreign kid, and will benefit quite a bit from physical maturation.

I don't know that we have room for him, but I like Aaron Henry in the second round if he's there. Capable 3&D wing who played some crazy impressive defense in the final four as a freshman.
jpjp
Ballboy
And1: 39

Post#143 » by jpjp » Wed May 12, 2021 10:39 am

I want jalen johnson nice pf for boston.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,431

Post#144 » by playa-hater » Wed May 12, 2021 4:25 pm

jpjp wrote:I want jalen johnson nice pf for boston.

He has talent and fits a need. One thing I was wondering is, like Tatum when he was on Duke, did JJ perhaps underachieve a bit for whatever reasons? I mean no one expected how much better Tatum would shoot and score based on his college productions.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#145 » by JediMasterRevan » Wed May 12, 2021 4:57 pm

IS there any way to get Suggs on this team?
What would it take?

Ideally would like to have:
PG: Suggs
SG: Brown
SF: Tatum
Pr:
C: Timelord
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,743

Post#146 » by BK_2020 » Wed May 12, 2021 5:03 pm

It would take going back in time to November of 2020 and trading away Jaylen, Smart, Theis, Kemba, not signing TT, and somehow come up with a way for Tatum to sit for the whole year, which you can't do by just telling him to sit because that's in violation of NBA rules and a sure-fire cause for player grievance. So Tatum has to be traded, too.
Then draft a bunch of prospects like Poku and roster a bunch of UDFA.
PP - Nesmith - Langford/Semi - Grant - Vincent Poirier
That will get you pretty much a 50% chance at a top 4 pick and a 14% chance at a top 1 pick, although we might still be too good for the likes of Houston, Detroit and OKC.
And then lets say you don't get the top 1 pick and end up with 3, then you to pray that OKC and HOU are picking Cade and Mobley, although I can't see Suggs going higher than 2.
It's not easy, but it's not impossible as long as we can somehow put the team through a wormhole. Which we might want to do anyway.
LoquaciousLarry
Sophomore
And1: 190

Post#147 » by LoquaciousLarry » Wed May 12, 2021 7:07 pm

Kemba, Smart, Nesmith, RW and an attractive 1st after we lose without Jaylen Brown, for Beal and Bertans and their 2nd rounder.

Look into another point guard late first or second round similar to finding a guy like Payton Pritchard last year. Sign depth and add Olynyk and Baynes in FA. Brown, Tatum and Beal would be elite if they could somehow pull it off.
LoquaciousLarry
Sophomore
And1: 190

Post#148 » by LoquaciousLarry » Wed May 12, 2021 7:11 pm

Cameron Thomas is a terrific bucket getter from LSU, OAK Hills all time leading scorer I believe and could be an excellent spacer in the NBA. Similar size to Coby White, needs to improve his playmaking and efficiency but can definitely fill it up.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#149 » by Bleeding Green » Wed May 12, 2021 8:23 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:IS there any way to get Suggs on this team?
What would it take?

Pr:

Suggs could go first overall, probably third at worst. So trade Tatum or Brown maybe? Or hope the Celtics get into the lottery and luck into moving up to the top-4. Doesn't seem realistic, but I also thought this Celtics team would have more wins than the Nets before the season started so what the **** do I know.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,314

Post#150 » by Homerclease » Wed May 12, 2021 11:24 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:IS there any way to get Suggs on this team?
What would it take?

Pr:

Moving up in the lottery via ping pong balls. Any team that lands in the top 5 isn’t moving off those picks for all the tea in China.

Suggs is great though. A slightly smaller Grant Hill IMO
CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 10,894

Post#151 » by CelticsPride18 » Thu May 13, 2021 5:54 pm

I’m hoping Jalen Johnson slides to our spot.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#152 » by Homerclease » Thu May 13, 2021 6:00 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

One of my guys who’s gonna be there in the mid 1st. Super super raw but there’s tons to work with here. Legit 3&D PF with 3 point range and insane athleticism. A/T ratio is putrid and has other flaws but absolutely someone we should be looking at IMO
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#153 » by GoGreen » Thu May 13, 2021 6:02 pm

Kai Jones, Jalen Johnson, Usman Garuba and Isaiah Jackson are the bigs that might be in range come time for the Cs to pick. I can probably be talked into any of them tbh. I just really want some size on this team
celtics543
Analyst
And1: 3,078

Post#154 » by celtics543 » Thu May 13, 2021 6:08 pm

GoGreen wrote:Yea, center ain't it, chief. Give me a versatile 4 that can switch and play tough all day everyday.

Can I interest you in a nice young player named Grant Williams?
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#155 » by Bleeding Green » Thu May 13, 2021 7:09 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

One of my guys who’s gonna be there in the mid 1st. Super super raw but there’s tons to work with here. Legit 3&D PF with 3 point range and insane athleticism. A/T ratio is putrid and has other flaws but absolutely someone we should be looking at IMO

He needs to go to a team that doesn't let all the players jack up midrange trash. Or a team with a single player who can pass. He's gonna be terrible for like 3-4 years and then it'll click for him, though.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,790

Post#156 » by Curmudgeon » Thu May 13, 2021 7:17 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:He's gonna be terrible for like 3-4 years and then it'll click for him, though.

That's what they said about Anthony Bennett. There is something to be said for skill. Duncan Robinson is still in the league. Bennett isn't.

The Celtics need a skilled center who isn't made of glass. If you can't draft one, trade the pick for one.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#157 » by Bleeding Green » Thu May 13, 2021 7:31 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:He's gonna be terrible for like 3-4 years and then it'll click for him, though.

That's what they said about Anthony Bennett. There is something to be said for skill. Duncan Robinson is still in the league. Bennett isn't.

The Celtics need a skilled center who isn't made of glass. If you can't draft one, trade the pick for one.

Who said that about Anthony Bennett? No way he was anywhere near the athlete or shooter that Brown is. Brown is like a second round pick anyway. You take ten Greg Browns and hope one pans out. Or take 50000 Duncan Robinson and one will pan out.

This team doesn't really need a center, they need to abolish the position entirely.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#158 » by Homerclease » Thu May 13, 2021 10:33 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:

Who said that about Anthony Bennett? No way he was anywhere near the athlete or shooter that Brown is. Brown is like a second round pick anyway. You take ten Greg Browns and hope one pans out. Or take 50000 Duncan Robinson and one will pan out.

This team doesn't really need a center, they need to abolish the position entirely.

I’d be shocked if Brown lasted anywhere near the second round tbh
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#159 » by Bleeding Green » Thu May 13, 2021 10:49 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:

Yeah idk, he's a super raw power forward who had a pretty crappy college season. If you draft him in the first round, be ready for him to be pretty terrible for at least the first few seasons. I think he's definitely the kind of guy that falls down draft boards.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#160 » by Homerclease » Thu May 13, 2021 11:12 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:

Yeah idk, he's a super raw power forward who had a pretty crappy college season. If you draft him in the first round, be ready for him to be pretty terrible for at least the first few seasons. I think he's definitely the kind of guy that falls down draft boards.

I think the opposite really. Guys like Brown tend to rise come closer to draft time. Look at Patrick Williams just last year, wound up going what? 5th overall after being projected as a mid to late first for much of the process. Brown has NBA size, NBA athleticism and can shoot it from deep. Someone is gonna gamble on him and why not us? If he hits, he’s exactly what we need

Return to Boston Celtics