ImageImageImage

Hal’s Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,549

Re: 2021 Craft Your Boston Celtics Draft Thread 

Post#561 » by playa-hater » Sun Jun 6, 2021 2:36 pm

Hal14 wrote:Haven't seen anyone mention this guy. Another stretch 4 / small ball 5. I like this kid.

I see him being right in that same tier with Garuba/Roko/Jones in terms of a possible PF for us in the 16 spot.

Robinson-Earl seems very underrated though. Seems like he's projected to go somewhere in the 30-40 range based on mocks I've seen.

In the video you see him go by Kai Jones off the dribble and dunk on him. That game Robinson-Earl had 19 points and 8 rebounds. Jones had 7 points and 2 rebounds.

I see a lot of similarities with Robinson-Earl and Roko. Both 6'9". Robinson-Earl is beefier at 230 lbs compared to Roko at 220 (with Robinson-Earl being just as quick, maybe even a little quicker) but Robinson-Earl is also 2.5 years older which means a) Robinson-Earl probably more ready to contribute to Celtics next season but b) Roko being much younger has higher upside

Roko also despite being 2.5 years younger is much better passer and also better 3 point shooter (35% Roko from 3, 28% Robinson-Earl), despite Roko going against tougher competition. So I'd probably pick Roko, but IDK, Robinson-Earl is less of a development project and is definitely a better defender (very switchable defender) so you could debate Robinson-Earl being the better pick, especially for a team looking to win now, rather than rebuild..

the fact that he is from Villanova means he is very well coached and should definitely garner a closer look. Though I am biased towards Coach Wright, I do know he tries to recruit the most mentally tough kids as well. Especially the ones with a "chip on their shoulder".
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,156

Post#562 » by Hal14 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 2:57 pm

playa-hater wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Haven't seen anyone mention this guy. Another stretch 4 / small ball 5. I like this kid.

I see him being right in that same tier with Garuba/Roko/Jones in terms of a possible PF for us in the 16 spot.

Robinson-Earl seems very underrated though. Seems like he's projected to go somewhere in the 30-40 range based on mocks I've seen.

In the video you see him go by Kai Jones off the dribble and dunk on him. That game Robinson-Earl had 19 points and 8 rebounds. Jones had 7 points and 2 rebounds.

I see a lot of similarities with Robinson-Earl and Roko. Both 6'9". Robinson-Earl is beefier at 230 lbs compared to Roko at 220 (with Robinson-Earl being just as quick, maybe even a little quicker) but Robinson-Earl is also 2.5 years older which means a) Robinson-Earl probably more ready to contribute to Celtics next season but b) Roko being much younger has higher upside

Roko also despite being 2.5 years younger is much better passer and also better 3 point shooter (35% Roko from 3, 28% Robinson-Earl), despite Roko going against tougher competition. So I'd probably pick Roko, but IDK, Robinson-Earl is less of a development project and is definitely a better defender (very switchable defender) so you could debate Robinson-Earl being the better pick, especially for a team looking to win now, rather than rebuild..

the fact that he is from Villanova means he is very well coached and should definitely garner a closer look. Though I am biased towards Coach Wright, I do know he tries to recruit the most mentally tough kids as well. Especially the ones with a "chip on their shoulder".

Yeah, watching the video this kid looks like he's been very well coached. Makes smart plays and makes them instinctively without hesitation. Hard to believe he's only a sophomore - watching him I would have thought for sure he was a senior.

He's sneaky quick, too. At first glance you wouldn't think he's as quick as he is. Smooth, fluid shooting form too.

His rebound % and assist % are both much higher than Kai Jones..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#563 » by playa-hater » Sun Jun 6, 2021 11:17 pm

Hal14 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

Yeah, watching the video this kid looks like he's been very well coached. Makes smart plays and makes them instinctively without hesitation. Hard to believe he's only a sophomore - watching him I would have thought for sure he was a senior.

He's sneaky quick, too. At first glance you wouldn't think he's as quick as he is. Smooth, fluid shooting form too.

His rebound % and assist % are both much higher than Kai Jones..

OK Hali, if yo want, you go first.. but I plan on giving my top 5 hopefuls for RD2.. tricky because it is early on, and we can switch as more information come in..

If you pass up this opportunity I will crank mine up.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#564 » by playa-hater » Sun Jun 6, 2021 11:21 pm

Hal14 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
threrf23 wrote:
Except, 4.5 TOs per 40 versus 0.7 assists, 5.8 fouls versus 1.1 steals, 1.9 blocks.

He may be quick enough to guard three positions, but those numbers suggest he is too raw for the cause. Those are Samuel Dalembert numbers, with the exception that Dalembert was taller and a much more prolific shot blocker. And I mean, he sounds raw as well.

Technically most one and done players/Bigs are raw. I don't get the Sam Dalembert comparison. I don't think SD ever took a midrange shot let alone a 3.. he was a pure center. meanwhile, I always enjoy looking back on threads like this. We can visit the G Brown discussion again.

IDK man. Brown might be turn out to be good. But IMO there are going to be better options than him at that 16 spot.

Brown's Texas team played in 2 games in the conference tournament and 1 game in March Madness. Here's what he did those 3 games...now, I know it's only 3 game sample size, but it's literally the 3 most recent games we have for him and they were the 3 most important games of his team's season:

Big 12 Tournament 1st round = 2 points in 13 minutes
Big 12 Tournament 2nd round = 0 points in 6 minutes
NCAA Tournament 1st round = 3 points in 6 minutes

Forgot to mention this, but one BIG reason for his decreased playing time is Texas has 2 other Bigs in Kai Jones and Jerico Sims (first rd talents) playing the same positions. Gregg was odd man out.. shet happens.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,696

Post#565 » by return2glory » Sun Jun 6, 2021 11:47 pm

Good find Hal14.

He is one of my top 5 favorites for us at #16. He might be the best fit for us. This team needs toughness and some size and skilled all around players. Robinson-Earl is that guy. I can see him starting for us at PF with Tatum at the other forward spot and JB at SG.

I saw that yesterday that on one of the mock drafts that he finally moved into the top 20. At this point, he is underrated on the mock drafts. He can score inside and out. He can put the ball on the floor and attack the basket. He can rebound, plays defense and is physical, not to mention well coached.
return2glory
RealGM

Post#566 » by return2glory » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:04 am

This is the game against Texas. Keep in mind Texas was a good defensive team with 2 bigs projected to go in the 1st round (Jones and Brown) and the 3rd big is projected to go in the 2nd round (Sims).
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,402

Post#567 » by threrf23 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:16 am

Sharife Cooper seems highly comparable to Sebastian Telfair. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#568 » by playa-hater » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:04 am

threrf23 wrote:Sharife Cooper seems highly comparable to Sebastian Telfair. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

For what Boston needs that would be extremely badd if that comparison was true.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#569 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:58 am

threrf23 wrote:Sharife Cooper seems highly comparable to Sebastian Telfair. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

His ability to draw fouls is a big difference, though not sure at his size if that will translate.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#570 » by playa-hater » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:07 am

return2glory wrote:

This is the game against Texas. Keep in mind Texas was a good defensive team with 2 bigs projected to go in the 1st round (Jones and Brown) and the 3rd big is projected to go in the 2nd round (Sims).

still early but he is in every 2nd Rd of every mock draft I seen so far. what a catch for someone in RD 2.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#571 » by playa-hater » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:26 am

meanwhile ther e will e some nice Talent and fit in RD 2 possibly available.

In no order

Roko Prkačin
Trey Murphy III
Jeremiah Robinson-Earl
Neemias Queta
Isaiah Todd
Joel Ayayi
BJ Boston
Charles Bassey

of this list, I can imagine some falling to our slot. pretty deep draft IMO for late first 2nd rd talents IMO. As usual I say we need to find them... Stevens...
return2glory
RealGM

Post#572 » by return2glory » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:30 am

playa-hater wrote:
return2glory wrote:

still early but he is in every 2nd Rd of every mock draft I seen so far. what a catch for someone in RD 2.

Yes, still early. This is the only mock draft I’ve seen that has him in the 1st round.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-mock-draft-2021-cade-cunningham-looks-like-no-1-pick-regardless-of-who-wins-lottery/amp/
Hal14
RealGM

Post#573 » by Hal14 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:36 am

playa-hater wrote:meanwhile ther e will e some nice Talent and fit in RD 2 possibly available.

In no order

Roko Prkačin
Trey Murphy III
Jeremiah Robinson-Earl
Neemias Queta
Isaiah Todd
Joel Ayayi
BJ Boston
Charles Bassey

of this list, I can imagine some falling to our slot. pretty deep draft IMO for late first 2nd rd talents IMO. As usual I say we need to find them... Stevens...

Good list. 2 others who could be 2nd round steals:

Vrenz Bleijenbergh
Filip Petrusev

Between the 8 you posted and the 2 I added, that's 10 players. I think between now and the draft, some of these guys' stock will rise to the point where you need to pick them in the 1st round if you want them (Roko, Queta, Todd....maybe Robinson-Earl, Boston, Murphy, Filip, Vrenz) but it seems like a good chance that at least 1 of these 10 guys is still there when we pick in the 2nd round.

Especially Todd, Roko, Robinson-Earl and Queta. Those 4 in particular just look too good to slip into the 2nd round. I expect stock to rise for those 4 especially as we get closer to the draft. If we somehow got 1 of those 4 with our 45th pick, it would be an absolute steal.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#574 » by playa-hater » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:37 am

return2glory wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
return2glory wrote:

Yes, still early. This is the only mock draft I’ve seen that has him in the 1st round.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-mock-draft-2021-cade-cunningham-looks-like-no-1-pick-regardless-of-who-wins-lottery/amp/

I just wish the Mock would fall that way for Boston. All my top choices are still there at 16. Makes me wish we had another pick in RD1..
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#575 » by playa-hater » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:41 am

Hal14 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:meanwhile ther e will e some nice Talent and fit in RD 2 possibly available.

In no order

Roko Prkačin
Trey Murphy III
Jeremiah Robinson-Earl
Neemias Queta
Isaiah Todd
Joel Ayayi
BJ Boston
Charles Bassey

Good list. 2 others who could be 2nd round steals:

Vrenz Bleijenbergh
Filip Petrusev

Between the 8 you posted and the 2 I added, that's 10 players. I think between now and the draft, some of these guys' stock will rise to the point where you need to pick them in the 1st round if you want them (Roko, Queta, Todd....maybe Robinson-Earl, Boston, Murphy, Filip, Vrenz) but it seems like a good chance that at least 1 of these 10 guys is still there when we pick in the 2nd round.

Yes, agree that some will rise.. the flip is with every riser, someone has to fall currently in RD 1.. good talent can be had in with RD1 and Rd2.. can't wait to see Ainge.. err.. Stevens pick 8-)
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#576 » by playa-hater » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:48 am

Vrenz Bleijenbergh

I love his upside, a lot.. also seems like Stevens would love his play-making skills. My question is, will Stevens invest a first on a high upside, but very young and make take time type of player?? Is Stevens (sounds funny, not saying Ainge) perhaps under pressure to get a player with a more ready NBA game?? I don't know. but definitely like some of these Euros.

Just wondering out loud.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#577 » by playa-hater » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:53 am

Filip Petrusev would also make a fine 2nd rd talent. Pick and Pop bigman for today's modern NBA center. not crazy about his slow release from 3 though.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#578 » by Hal14 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:03 am

playa-hater wrote:Vrenz Bleijenbergh

I love his upside, a lot.. also seems like Stevens would love his play-making skills. My question is, will Stevens invest a first on a high upside, but very young and make take time type of player?? Is Stevens (sounds funny, not saying Ainge) perhaps under pressure to get a player with a more ready NBA game?? I don't know. but definitely like some of these Euros.

Just wondering out loud.

I like Vrenz but I think 16 might be a reach for him. His biggest strength is supposedly his outside shooting but he only shot 33.5% from 3 this season. And he shot 1/17 from 3 during playoffs this season. I'd take a flier on him with our 2nd round pick if he's still there at 45 but I think there will definitely be better options there at 16.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#579 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Jun 7, 2021 5:36 am

Tiny turnover machine who can't shoot. What could go wrong?
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,540

Post#580 » by Kalela » Mon Jun 7, 2021 8:13 am

Bleeding Green wrote:

Tiny turnover machine who can't shoot. What could go wrong?

How is he defensively? Personally I don't want anymore tiny PGs on this team. The only exceptions are if they great defenders like Chris Paul or Lowry.
Fire Mazzulla

Return to Boston Celtics