ImageImageImage

2021 Craft Your Boston Celtics Draft Thread

Moderators: ParticleMan, sully00, The Comedian, Parliament10, canman1971, djFan71, Froob

captain green
Analyst
Posts: 3,524
And1: 2,085
Joined: Mar 04, 2009
Contact:
         

Re: 2021 Craft Your Boston Celtics Draft Thread 

Post#641 » by captain green » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:11 pm

High on franz and zaire at the moment just watched a lot of tape on the two. Checking out christopher and roco next
We always talk about there’s A-to-Z… really, there’s A-to-G or -E,’” Ainge told Celtics.com of a team’s typical offseason agenda. “This year, there’s definitely A-to-Z.” : danny ainge
Hal14
Veteran
Posts: 2,583
And1: 1,518
Joined: Apr 05, 2019

Re: 2021 Craft Your Boston Celtics Draft Thread 

Post#642 » by Hal14 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:48 pm

captain green wrote:High on franz and zaire at the moment just watched a lot of tape on the two. Checking out christopher and roco next

Tip..and you might already be doing this, but check out scouting report videos which really break down and analyze their game, including not only strengths but weaknesses too rather than simply highlight videos.

Adam Spinella's videos are the best I've seen so far in terms of scouting reports on this year's draft prospects:

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdamSpinella/videos

I'll typically check out a scouting report vid, as well as a season highlight vid and a vid showing highlights from a particular game. So typically 3 vids on each prospect (plus i'll check out their stats and look up height weight, age, wingspan, vertical leap) and I'm able to get a good feel for where I might rank them..

For example, Spinella's vid on Wagner he breaks down how Wagner literally cannot drive or finish with his left hand, and also how on catch and shoot 3's he brings the ball down by his waist right before going up with the shot which a) slows down his release and b) makes it easy for an elite defender to reach the ball and slap it out of his hands. And in his Ziaire vid, he breaks down how due to his skinny he is, he really struggles finishing inside against even the slightest amount of contact.
Hal14
Veteran
Posts: 2,583
And1: 1,518
Joined: Apr 05, 2019

Re: 2021 Craft Your Boston Celtics Draft Thread 

Post#643 » by Hal14 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:13 pm

The more I think about it, the more I feel like Kai Jones could be a really good fit.

Think about his archetype.

Long, athletic big man. In that 6'9"-6'11" range. Long strides, good leaping ability. Maybe a little bit on the light side for a guy with his height, so people might say he needs to add strength/bulk up, but the thing is, being lighter allows him to move quicker, be more agile and run the floor better, especially in transition. 3 level scorer who can knock down 3's (off the catch or off the dribble), can also face up from the perimeter and drive to the basket, and either finish at the rim or hit the mid-range pull up, even showing ability to hit turnaround jumper in mid range, elite rim runner and can also rebound and block shots while showing defensive versatility to be able to defend bigs inside (not his biggest strength but we're seeing less and less of those big strong back to the basket bruising post-up centers in today's NBA anyways) and also the lateral quickness to switch out on guards/wings out on the perimeter and contest (and even block) 3 point attempts.

Like, literally that entire last paragraph, I'm describing Jones but I could have been describing Kevin Durant, Anthony Davis, Giannis, Siakam, Myles Turner, Adebayo, Christian Wood, Aaron Gordon or John Collins.

Now, I'm obviously not saying Jones is as good as those guys. I'm just saying that his physical tools and skill set pretty closely match an archetype that is very hot in the NBA right now, an archetype that many really good players in today's NBA match.

A player of that archetype could be a really good fit on this Celtics team. We don't have a guy who is anything like that right now. Closest thing is Tatum, but he is shorter and also has much more of a perimeter-oriented game. Tatum's game is a lot like T-Mac. And obviously as we all know, he models his game a bit after Kobe. Tatum is really more of a wing. By drafting Jones, we'd have options - you could go big with Tatum at the 3 and Jones at the 4, or you could go small, with Tatum at the 4 and Jones at the 5.
jpjp
Ballboy
Posts: 40
And1: 39
Joined: Nov 21, 2020

Re: 2021 Craft Your Boston Celtics Draft Thread 

Post#644 » by jpjp » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:57 pm

captain green
Analyst
Posts: 3,524
And1: 2,085
Joined: Mar 04, 2009
Contact:
         

Re: 2021 Craft Your Boston Celtics Draft Thread 

Post#645 » by captain green » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:15 pm

Hal14 wrote:
captain green wrote:High on franz and zaire at the moment just watched a lot of tape on the two. Checking out christopher and roco next

Tip..and you might already be doing this, but check out scouting report videos which really break down and analyze their game, including not only strengths but weaknesses too rather than simply highlight videos.

Adam Spinella's videos are the best I've seen so far in terms of scouting reports on this year's draft prospects:

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdamSpinella/videos

I'll typically check out a scouting report vid, as well as a season highlight vid and a vid showing highlights from a particular game. So typically 3 vids on each prospect (plus i'll check out their stats and look up height weight, age, wingspan, vertical leap) and I'm able to get a good feel for where I might rank them..

For example, Spinella's vid on Wagner he breaks down how Wagner literally cannot drive or finish with his left hand, and also how on catch and shoot 3's he brings the ball down by his waist right before going up with the shot which a) slows down his release and b) makes it easy for an elite defender to reach the ball and slap it out of his hands. And in his Ziaire vid, he breaks down how due to his skinny he is, he really struggles finishing inside against even the slightest amount of contact.

I'll have to check dudes vids thanks but I like wagner's jack of all trades but he isn't super at any one thing but great to decent at about everything. Zaire is thin but he reminds me of prince of tashawn. I'm just getting started looking at prospects outside of March madness I'm hoping that ucla kid is going to be fun to analyze cause dude had a great run.
We always talk about there’s A-to-Z… really, there’s A-to-G or -E,’” Ainge told Celtics.com of a team’s typical offseason agenda. “This year, there’s definitely A-to-Z.” : danny ainge
Curmudgeon
RealGM
Posts: 32,382
And1: 14,501
Joined: Jan 20, 2004
Location: Boston, MA

Re: 2021 Craft Your Boston Celtics Draft Thread 

Post#646 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:42 pm



Yes, as a 19 year old starter on the best basketball team in the world outside the NBA. He should be a top 5 pick.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Hal14
Veteran
Posts: 2,583
And1: 1,518
Joined: Apr 05, 2019

Re: 2021 Craft Your Boston Celtics Draft Thread 

Post#647 » by Hal14 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:01 pm

captain green wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
captain green wrote:High on franz and zaire at the moment just watched a lot of tape on the two. Checking out christopher and roco next

Tip..and you might already be doing this, but check out scouting report videos which really break down and analyze their game, including not only strengths but weaknesses too rather than simply highlight videos.

Adam Spinella's videos are the best I've seen so far in terms of scouting reports on this year's draft prospects:

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdamSpinella/videos

I'll typically check out a scouting report vid, as well as a season highlight vid and a vid showing highlights from a particular game. So typically 3 vids on each prospect (plus i'll check out their stats and look up height weight, age, wingspan, vertical leap) and I'm able to get a good feel for where I might rank them..

For example, Spinella's vid on Wagner he breaks down how Wagner literally cannot drive or finish with his left hand, and also how on catch and shoot 3's he brings the ball down by his waist right before going up with the shot which a) slows down his release and b) makes it easy for an elite defender to reach the ball and slap it out of his hands. And in his Ziaire vid, he breaks down how due to his skinny he is, he really struggles finishing inside against even the slightest amount of contact.

I'll have to check dudes vids thanks but I like wagner's jack of all trades but he isn't super at any one thing but great to decent at about everything. Zaire is thin but he reminds me of prince of tashawn. I'm just getting started looking at prospects outside of March madness I'm hoping that ucla kid is going to be fun to analyze cause dude had a great run.

Yeah the thing I like about Wagner is his defense. His D, especially our on the perimeter is unreal. Perimeter defense was obviously a big problem for us this season with all the 3's we gave up. Wagner would help with that a lot. He's also a good passer, decent shooter, solid rebounder. Like you said, jack of all trades. Seems like he's gonna go in the top 15, but if he was still there at 16 he would be a solid pick.
NuckyPowell
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,481
And1: 5,145
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
 

Re: 2021 Craft Your Boston Celtics Draft Thread 

Post#648 » by NuckyPowell » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:14 pm

I don't know who will be available, but we should draft a guy like this at 16:

Read on Twitter
Hal14
Veteran
Posts: 2,583
And1: 1,518
Joined: Apr 05, 2019

Re: 2021 Craft Your Boston Celtics Draft Thread 

Post#649 » by Hal14 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:21 pm


Highlights from Garuba's performance today. 3 three-pointers, including one of them with 2:30 mins left in the 4th quarter of a 1 possession game and then after that an and-1 put-back in the clutch.

16 points and 14 rebounds in the playoffs, not bad for a 19-year old playing professionally.

Another guy who could be a really nice stretch 4 / stretch 5..

Over his last 8 games, Garuba is 10/22 from 3 (45.4%)

Read on Twitter
[/quote]
User avatar
Dogen
RealGM
Posts: 10,714
And1: 5,556
Joined: Apr 23, 2004
Location: Guanajuato, MX
 

Re: 2021 Craft Your Boston Celtics Draft Thread 

Post#650 » by Dogen » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:29 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:


Yes, as a 19 year old starter on the best basketball team in the world outside the NBA. He should be a top 5 pick.


Yikes, keep it down, I want him to last until 16!
DIRE FANNY
playa-hater
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,856
And1: 3,918
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: 2021 Craft Your Boston Celtics Draft Thread 

Post#651 » by playa-hater » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:47 am



I prioritize 2 things for my top choices. Switch-ability on defense and shooting. If Garuba continues to show good on shooting, I will be all in. Defense is aready there. Keep updating videos.

*edit.. Garuba's shot seems very stiff. Ala Giannis. 19 = there is time to improve.. But he needs to do it sooner rather than later. Tatum will be doubled a lot. More than ever. I want players to make teams pay for that.
"I never lose. I either win or learn". Nelson Mandela
playa-hater
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,856
And1: 3,918
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: 2021 Craft Your Boston Celtics Draft Thread 

Post#652 » by playa-hater » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:02 am

edit
"I never lose. I either win or learn". Nelson Mandela
playa-hater
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,856
And1: 3,918
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: 2021 Craft Your Boston Celtics Draft Thread 

Post#653 » by playa-hater » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:04 am

NuckyPowell wrote:I don't know who will be available, but we should draft a guy like this at 16:

Read on Twitter


this is as close as we can get..

Image
"I never lose. I either win or learn". Nelson Mandela
playa-hater
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,856
And1: 3,918
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: 2021 Craft Your Boston Celtics Draft Thread 

Post#654 » by playa-hater » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:10 am

captain green wrote:High on franz and zaire at the moment just watched a lot of tape on the two. Checking out christopher and roco next


I have Zaire in my top 5 because I think he has a high ceiling. Tatum lite IMO. but he is so skinny it might take him a year or 2 just to get strong enough. But a skilled 2 way player with a real smooth looking stroke.

But I don't think we need his position as much as he is a 3 at best.
"I never lose. I either win or learn". Nelson Mandela
User avatar
Shak_Celts
RealGM
Posts: 26,934
And1: 32,565
Joined: Feb 07, 2016
     

Re: 2021 Craft Your Boston Celtics Draft Thread 

Post#655 » by Shak_Celts » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:26 am

Yall got me last offseason, I watched all that video and DA still came outta left field. I don't even have an idea of what Brad will be looking for.
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
playa-hater
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,856
And1: 3,918
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: 2021 Craft Your Boston Celtics Draft Thread 

Post#656 » by playa-hater » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:31 am

Shak_Celts wrote:Yall got me last offseason, I watched all that video and DA still came outta left field. I don't even have an idea of what Brad will be looking for.


thought Nesmith was on everyone's radar for DA. Pritchard on the other hand was a real surprise to most.

As for Steven's I am afraid to ask and wonder. Hoping for the best.
"I never lose. I either win or learn". Nelson Mandela
User avatar
Shak_Celts
RealGM
Posts: 26,934
And1: 32,565
Joined: Feb 07, 2016
     

Re: 2021 Craft Your Boston Celtics Draft Thread 

Post#657 » by Shak_Celts » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:39 am

playa-hater wrote:
Shak_Celts wrote:Yall got me last offseason, I watched all that video and DA still came outta left field. I don't even have an idea of what Brad will be looking for.


thought Nesmith was on everyone's radar for DA. Pritchard on the other hand was a real surprise to most.

As for Steven's I am afraid to ask and wonder. Hoping for the best.


Yep, I did watch Neee video but I never heard of Pritchard. I stopped watching full college seasons a few years ago (I watch some Duke games).
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
playa-hater
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,856
And1: 3,918
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: 2021 Craft Your Boston Celtics Draft Thread 

Post#658 » by playa-hater » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:42 am

Shak_Celts wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
Shak_Celts wrote:Yall got me last offseason, I watched all that video and DA still came outta left field. I don't even have an idea of what Brad will be looking for.


thought Nesmith was on everyone's radar for DA. Pritchard on the other hand was a real surprise to most.

As for Steven's I am afraid to ask and wonder. Hoping for the best.


Yep, I did watch Neee video but I never heard of Pritchard. I stopped watching full college seasons a few years ago (I watch some Duke games).


same for me. mainly because all the top talent was leaving early for me I guess. the College game seemed less competitive and ever changing than when I was younger.
"I never lose. I either win or learn". Nelson Mandela
return2glory
RealGM
Posts: 14,796
And1: 7,119
Joined: Feb 24, 2005

Re: 2021 Craft Your Boston Celtics Draft Thread 

Post#659 » by return2glory » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:50 am

captain green wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
captain green wrote:High on franz and zaire at the moment just watched a lot of tape on the two. Checking out christopher and roco next

Tip..and you might already be doing this, but check out scouting report videos which really break down and analyze their game, including not only strengths but weaknesses too rather than simply highlight videos.

Adam Spinella's videos are the best I've seen so far in terms of scouting reports on this year's draft prospects:

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdamSpinella/videos

I'll typically check out a scouting report vid, as well as a season highlight vid and a vid showing highlights from a particular game. So typically 3 vids on each prospect (plus i'll check out their stats and look up height weight, age, wingspan, vertical leap) and I'm able to get a good feel for where I might rank them..

For example, Spinella's vid on Wagner he breaks down how Wagner literally cannot drive or finish with his left hand, and also how on catch and shoot 3's he brings the ball down by his waist right before going up with the shot which a) slows down his release and b) makes it easy for an elite defender to reach the ball and slap it out of his hands. And in his Ziaire vid, he breaks down how due to his skinny he is, he really struggles finishing inside against even the slightest amount of contact.

I'll have to check dudes vids thanks but I like wagner's jack of all trades but he isn't super at any one thing but great to decent at about everything. Zaire is thin but he reminds me of prince of tashawn. I'm just getting started looking at prospects outside of March madness I'm hoping that ucla kid is going to be fun to analyze cause dude had a great run.


I watched Wagner couple of times this season. I also liked his all around game. He has do a lot of different things like you noticed and he is also a solid defender and has good size and athleticism.

However he is Hayward light. You might seen him on the floor for 30 minutes and for 25 of those he seems none existent. Then he had short spurts of greatness and he leaves you wondering where that came from.
batabatuta
Senior
Posts: 601
And1: 562
Joined: Feb 12, 2018
   

Re: 2021 Craft Your Boston Celtics Draft Thread 

Post#660 » by batabatuta » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:51 am

playa-hater wrote:
Shak_Celts wrote:Yall got me last offseason, I watched all that video and DA still came outta left field. I don't even have an idea of what Brad will be looking for.


thought Nesmith was on everyone's radar for DA. Pritchard on the other hand was a real surprise to most.

As for Steven's I am afraid to ask and wonder. Hoping for the best.

Am still glad we drafted Prichard though. Should we not keep him, he's gonna have trade value at some point.

Return to Boston Celtics