ImageImageImage

So if Tatum makes all NBA he gets 30% of the cap, not 25% Do we want this?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Re: So if Tatum makes all NBA he gets 30% of the cap, not 25% Do we want this? 

Post#21 » by moonie_mcgee » Fri May 7, 2021 12:13 am

I hope he gets everything he's earned. No question about it.
That's the Way of the World
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#22 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri May 7, 2021 12:43 am

Yes go get your money young man....way worse problems then having Jayson Tatum taking 35% of your cap and most teams would gladly sign up for that. I don’t think he’s gonna get it tho
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#23 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri May 7, 2021 12:46 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
klemen4 wrote:We do not want this :) but he will make it :)

Dou to a lot of all-stars being injured multiple games, actually wing competition is nothing special.

Giannis....that's it...Randle probably

Hell, he may be first team.

Lebron and Durant missed to many games. Than you have Kawhi and George. Butler had an average season.

I think George is considered a guard.

Like you said, LeBron, Durant (Davis too) missed too many games so they could make 3rd team at best.

Giannis a lock for 1st team.

I figure the other spot on the 1st team and the 2 spots on 2nd team will be Tatum/Randle/Kawhi. Tatum and Randle have played 10 more games than Kawhi has though, only 48 games played for Kawhi compared to 58 for Tatum. So I figure Kawhi will be 2nd team. And then the other 1st team spot is Tatum vs Randle with the other guy making 2nd team..

PG13 is a listed as a SF, but there is definitely some degree of positional versatility with guys like him and LaVine (who is listed as a SG). Important because the competition for G may be even more fierce than the competition for F with Curry, Luka, Lillard, CP3, Mitchell, Beal, Kyrie, Booker. I don't see the same flexibility existing with the guys at C (Jokic, Embiid, Gobert) and any of the guys at F (Zion, Giannis, Tatum, Randle).

Given that voting is ostensibly 2G/2F/C, my ballot would look like:

Jokic
Giannis
Kawhi
Curry
Luka

Embiid
Zion
Tatum
Lillard
CP3

Gobert
George
LaVine
Mitchell
Kyrie

Have a case, but no: Beal, Booker, Randle, LeBron, Simmons.

Harden hasn't played enough, and hard to see no Nets making it. I feel like Kyrie > Beal anyway. CP3 or Booker, but not both. Not having the same Randle moment that others are. I feel that everyone in my top 15 is clearly better and clearly having a better year.

Imo he’s missed way too many games but I think lebron makes it. He was at one point leading the league in mvp. Think he’s gonna make all nba. Also think randle is making it tho to me he’s not all nba but do think he also makes it. Zion has been insane and he’s a media darling he’s making it.

Butler has missed a lot of games also so to me I leave him off but you never know with these voters.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 10,435

Post#24 » by Fierce1 » Fri May 7, 2021 12:49 am

So far Tatum has played more games than Kawhi even when Tatum was out for an extended period because of Covid.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tatum makes All-NBA 1st team.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#25 » by Gomes3PC » Fri May 7, 2021 1:01 am

It will only make our job meaningfully harder to build a title winner if he takes up another 5% of the cap, so much as it pains me to say I hope he does not get it. It's a real weird year. For the forwards (his spot) I would presume it's pretty clear that Giannis, Kawhi, and George will get spots. Lebron will also get a spot. That leaves two spots for:

Durant
Tatum
Randle
Zion
Butler

Would not totally shock me if Tatum somehow gets squeezed out by two of Randle, Zion and Jimmy. Jimmy's just been better than him this year, but missed a bunch of games, whereas Randle has been an ironman on a team with a better record with less help around him than Tatum.

Sounds silly but these last 6 or so games will likely make a difference. If move up and guarantee a 4/5 game and Jimmy and Miami are in the play-in, I could see Tatum locking a spot, especially if he keeps up his last 15 game average (31 PPG, 8.5 RPG, 4.7 APG, 48/43/89 shooting, 7.5 FTA/G).
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#26 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri May 7, 2021 1:12 am

Fierce1 wrote:So far Tatum has played more games than Kawhi even when Tatum was out for an extended period because of Covid.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tatum makes All-NBA 1st team.

100% not making all nba 1st team
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#27 » by greenroom31 » Fri May 7, 2021 1:13 am

steefP2
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,676

Post#28 » by steefP2 » Fri May 7, 2021 11:04 am

Some BS about this btw:both Jokic and Embiid eligible at forward for all nba so 1 of them is 100% gonna get a first team forward spot
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#29 » by Feed Your Head » Fri May 7, 2021 1:23 pm

He has no shot at first team, he could play his way onto 2nd team, but I’m guessing it’ll be 3rd. Though I’d personally have him on the 2nd team, he’s turned it up to MVP level when we badly needed it, and carried us while Jaylen, Kemba, and Rob were missing games.

As far as wanting him to make it or not, you always want your superstar happy. And this team putting him in position to get all nba is only a good thing, long term.
timpiker
Senior
And1: 428

Post#30 » by timpiker » Fri May 7, 2021 1:57 pm

Ernest wrote:I think I'm understanding it right. Forget the name of the rule, but basically a few players can get more and Tatum might be getting it. Someone smart fill us in please.

But as Cs fans and Tatum fans do we want this? Talk me out of secretly rooting for him not to make all NBA because that extra 5% cap space might come in handy somewhere.

NO! I'll never understand why we want out players to make all star teams, etc. It always means they want more money and in this case, hurt the cap. No No No.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,541

Post#31 » by Celts17Pride » Fri May 7, 2021 2:20 pm

The Comedian wrote:He has no shot at first team, he could play his way onto 2nd team, but I’m guessing it’ll be 3rd. Though I’d personally have him on the 2nd team, especially because he’s turned it up to MVP level when we badly needed it, and carried us while Jaylen, Kemba, and Rob were missing games.

As far as wanting him to make it or not, you always want your superstar happy. And this team putting him in position to get all nba is only a good thing, long term.

Don't disagree at all but the extra money probably makes Smart a goner. Smart is probably a goner anyways after this season. Tatum earned it, he deserves it.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#32 » by Feed Your Head » Fri May 7, 2021 3:09 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
The Comedian wrote:He has no shot at first team, he could play his way onto 2nd team, but I’m guessing it’ll be 3rd. Though I’d personally have him on the 2nd team, especially because he’s turned it up to MVP level when we badly needed it, and carried us while Jaylen, Kemba, and Rob were missing games.

Don't disagree at all but the extra money probably makes Smart a goner. Smart is probably a goner anyways after this season. Tatum earned it, he deserves it.

You know how I feel about Smart, but I think there’s a real chance he could be dealt as part of a package this summer.
jpjp
Ballboy
And1: 39

Post#33 » by jpjp » Fri May 7, 2021 3:30 pm

But is that why being in one of the 3 teams would they give it?
Don't you have to repeat 2 years on a rookie contract to get it?
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#34 » by Feed Your Head » Fri May 7, 2021 4:10 pm

jpjp wrote:Don't you have to repeat 2 years on a rookie contract to get it?

Yes, he made 3rd team last year.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#35 » by sully00 » Fri May 7, 2021 4:45 pm

timpiker wrote:
Ernest wrote:I think I'm understanding it right. Forget the name of the rule, but basically a few players can get more and Tatum might be getting it. Someone smart fill us in please.

But as Cs fans and Tatum fans do we want this? Talk me out of secretly rooting for him not to make all NBA because that extra 5% cap space might come in handy somewhere.

NO! I'll never understand why we want out players to make all star teams, etc. It always means they want more money and in this case, hurt the cap. No No No.

This is the type of logic that leads you to being the team that loses their star to another franchise because you make decisions that are penny sound and dollar foolish. You want your players to feel like they are NBA royalty playing in Boston and you want them to convince other guys that it is better here than where they are not the other way around. You want Tatum talking about how Boston is the best place to play, best owners, best front office and coaching staff. Not fixating on whether if he played in a different market would he have made that All NBA team and the 5% bump that comes with it.

In this case this isn't a player asking for more this is him literally earning it. Give the man his money.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#36 » by cloverleaf » Fri May 7, 2021 4:48 pm

He's got a shot at 3rd team, but I want him hungry for another year.

Plus with a little more of the dough the owners are willing to spend spread among other players.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#37 » by sully00 » Fri May 7, 2021 4:50 pm

The Comedian wrote:

Two years was only for 2017.

24. What is the Designated Player rule? What are the performance criteria for earning a higher maximum salary?
Certain players can receive contracts or extensions that are more favorable (in years and/or salary) than they ordinarily could receive. This applies to players who are finishing their rookie scale contracts (and other players with four years of experience), who can receive a starting salary up to 30% of the cap (which is normally reserved for players with 7-9 years of service). It also applies to players who are finishing their rookie scale extensions (and other players with eight or nine years of experience), who can receive a starting salary up to 35% of the cap (which is normally reserved for players with at least 10 years of service).

In addition, players signing a rookie scale extension can be designated by their team to receive a longer extension, totaling six seasons (including the season remaining on their rookie scale contracts).

In order to qualify for the higher maximum salary, players must meet certain performance criteria1. At least one of the following must be true:

The player was named to the All-NBA First, Second or Third team in the most recent season, or both of the two seasons that preceded the most recent season.
The player was named the Defensive Player of the Year in the most recent season, or both of the two seasons that preceded the most recent season.
The player was named the NBA Most Valuable Player in any of the three most recent seasons.
For example, if this is the 2018 offseason, then a player met the performance criteria if he accomplished any of the following:

Named to the All-NBA First, Second or Third team in 2017-18
Named to the All-NBA First, Second or Third team in both 2015-16 and 2016-17
Named the Defensive Player of the Year in 2017-18
Named the Defensive Player of the Year in both 2015-16 and 2016-17
Named the NBA Most Valuable Player in 2015-16, 2016-17 or 2017-18
The naming of these rules and criteria are somewhat inconsistent and confusing. The Designated Veteran rule allows teams to sign or extend players with eight or nine years of service to a higher salary (up to 35% of the cap). The Designated Rookie rule allows teams to sign players finishing their rookie scale contracts to longer extensions, but does not provide for the higher maximum salary (up to 30% of the cap). In fact, there are no performance criteria the player must meet to qualify for the Designated Rookie rule -- he just needs to be designated by his team to receive a longer extension. The higher maximum salary for these players is provided by the 5th Year, 30% Max criteria. And while the criteria are the same for players with eight or nine years of experience to qualify for the higher maximum salary (up to 35% of the cap), the CBA calls it the "Designated Veteran Player 35% Max Criteria" for these players.

A player's eligibility for a higher maximum salary doesn't imply he will actually receive that amount -- as with all contracts, the actual salary is a matter of negotiation between the player (or his agent) and his team. However, a Designated Rookie must receive at least 25% of the cap. In addition, for players entering their fifth season the exact percentage of the cap can be based on how the player meets the 5th Year, 30% Max criteria. For example, a rookie scale extension can specify that the player will receive 27% of the cap if he meets the criteria by being named to the All NBA Second Team, 28% if he meets the criteria by being named to the All NBA First Team, or 30% if he meets the criteria by being named Most Valuable Player.

There is a limit to the number of designated players a team can have on its roster at a time. A team can have up to two designated rookies (who received a longer rookie scale extension) and up to two designated veterans (who received higher than the 30% maximum salary) at any time.2 However, only one designated rookie may have been acquired from another team in a trade.

A designated veteran extension can only be signed from the end of the July Moratorium through the last day before the start of the regular season. A player who signs a designated veteran contract or extension can't be traded for one year after he is signed.

cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#38 » by cloverleaf » Fri May 7, 2021 5:01 pm

sully00 wrote:
timpiker wrote:

This is the type of logic that leads you to being the team that loses their star to another franchise because you make decisions that are penny sound and dollar foolish. You want your players to feel like they are NBA royalty playing in Boston and you want them to convince other guys that it is better here than where they are not the other way around. You want Tatum talking about how Boston is the best place to play, best owners, best front office and coaching staff. Not fixating on whether if he played in a different market would he have made that All NBA team and the 5% bump that comes with it.

In this case this isn't a player asking for more this is him literally earning it. Give the man his money.

How does another market get him on the All-NBA team? He needs a team that is good enough for it to seem legit, but not so good that it has too many other good players to cut into his number-plumping opportunities. That is just what he has now in Boston.
jpjp
Ballboy

Post#39 » by jpjp » Fri May 7, 2021 5:43 pm

The Comedian wrote:

ty for the information
jpjp
Ballboy

Post#40 » by jpjp » Fri May 7, 2021 5:44 pm

sully00 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

Two years was only for 2017.

24. What is the Designated Player rule? What are the performance criteria for earning a higher maximum salary?
Certain players can receive contracts or extensions that are more favorable (in years and/or salary) than they ordinarily could receive. This applies to players who are finishing their rookie scale contracts (and other players with four years of experience), who can receive a starting salary up to 30% of the cap (which is normally reserved for players with 7-9 years of service). It also applies to players who are finishing their rookie scale extensions (and other players with eight or nine years of experience), who can receive a starting salary up to 35% of the cap (which is normally reserved for players with at least 10 years of service).

In addition, players signing a rookie scale extension can be designated by their team to receive a longer extension, totaling six seasons (including the season remaining on their rookie scale contracts).

In order to qualify for the higher maximum salary, players must meet certain performance criteria1. At least one of the following must be true:

The player was named to the All-NBA First, Second or Third team in the most recent season, or both of the two seasons that preceded the most recent season.
The player was named the Defensive Player of the Year in the most recent season, or both of the two seasons that preceded the most recent season.
The player was named the NBA Most Valuable Player in any of the three most recent seasons.
For example, if this is the 2018 offseason, then a player met the performance criteria if he accomplished any of the following:

Named to the All-NBA First, Second or Third team in 2017-18
Named to the All-NBA First, Second or Third team in both 2015-16 and 2016-17
Named the Defensive Player of the Year in 2017-18
Named the Defensive Player of the Year in both 2015-16 and 2016-17
Named the NBA Most Valuable Player in 2015-16, 2016-17 or 2017-18
The naming of these rules and criteria are somewhat inconsistent and confusing. The Designated Veteran rule allows teams to sign or extend players with eight or nine years of service to a higher salary (up to 35% of the cap). The Designated Rookie rule allows teams to sign players finishing their rookie scale contracts to longer extensions, but does not provide for the higher maximum salary (up to 30% of the cap). In fact, there are no performance criteria the player must meet to qualify for the Designated Rookie rule -- he just needs to be designated by his team to receive a longer extension. The higher maximum salary for these players is provided by the 5th Year, 30% Max criteria. And while the criteria are the same for players with eight or nine years of experience to qualify for the higher maximum salary (up to 35% of the cap), the CBA calls it the "Designated Veteran Player 35% Max Criteria" for these players.

A player's eligibility for a higher maximum salary doesn't imply he will actually receive that amount -- as with all contracts, the actual salary is a matter of negotiation between the player (or his agent) and his team. However, a Designated Rookie must receive at least 25% of the cap. In addition, for players entering their fifth season the exact percentage of the cap can be based on how the player meets the 5th Year, 30% Max criteria. For example, a rookie scale extension can specify that the player will receive 27% of the cap if he meets the criteria by being named to the All NBA Second Team, 28% if he meets the criteria by being named to the All NBA First Team, or 30% if he meets the criteria by being named Most Valuable Player.

There is a limit to the number of designated players a team can have on its roster at a time. A team can have up to two designated rookies (who received a longer rookie scale extension) and up to two designated veterans (who received higher than the 30% maximum salary) at any time.2 However, only one designated rookie may have been acquired from another team in a trade.

A designated veteran extension can only be signed from the end of the July Moratorium through the last day before the start of the regular season. A player who signs a designated veteran contract or extension can't be traded for one year after he is signed.

ty for the information

Return to Boston Celtics