ImageImageImage

Trade Thread 2021-22: To Trade Or Trade Not

Moderators: ParticleMan, sully00, The Comedian, Parliament10, canman1971, djFan71, Froob

chrisab123
RealGM
Posts: 10,021
And1: 6,233
Joined: Jul 07, 2012
         

Re: Trade Thread 2021-22: To Trade Or Trade Not 

Post#1241 » by chrisab123 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:56 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
chrisab123 wrote:Anyone bring up a Chris Paul S&T? If you can get him to leave Phoenix they might be willing to help facilitate and take Kemba in the process.


Anyone bring up trading for LeBron? Cuz its just as likely as Chris Paul leaving the Suns for the Celtics via S&T for Kemba.


Unless Robert Sarver sells the Suns in the offseason its possible. Hes notoriously cheap.
User avatar
Fierce1
Veteran
Posts: 2,766
And1: 2,128
Joined: Jan 31, 2021
   

Re: Trade Thread 2021-22: To Trade Or Trade Not 

Post#1242 » by Fierce1 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:05 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:Nobody's arguing Al is better than KP. Just that with injuries and contracts involved, I'd much prefer Al, personally,


Horford for Kemba is a safe move.

But it might cost the Celts a 1st round pick.

KP on the other hand is cheaper than Kemba in 2022 and 2023 because KP is getting less money than Kemba in 2022 and 2023.

In fact, Celts save a total of 8.2m in 2022 and 2023 if they swap Kemba for KP.

The downside is KP still has 36m for 2024.



Trading kemba for Horford AND giving a pick is a dumb move.


That's why I prefer Kemba for Porzingis.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,394
And1: 34,396
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: Trade Thread 2021-22: To Trade Or Trade Not 

Post#1243 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:25 pm

chrisab123 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
chrisab123 wrote:Anyone bring up a Chris Paul S&T? If you can get him to leave Phoenix they might be willing to help facilitate and take Kemba in the process.


Anyone bring up trading for LeBron? Cuz its just as likely as Chris Paul leaving the Suns for the Celtics via S&T for Kemba.


Unless Robert Sarver sells the Suns in the offseason its possible. Hes notoriously cheap.


So he’s too cheap to pay Chris Paul, but would take Kemba?
User avatar
ParticleMan
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 14,401
And1: 7,119
Joined: Sep 16, 2004
     

Re: Trade Thread 2021-22: To Trade Or Trade Not 

Post#1244 » by ParticleMan » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:29 pm

KP really looks rather cooked, particularly defensively. tbh he looks like a rich-man's luke kornet. while i get we're getting rid of kemba's salary, i'm not sure taking on 3/100 in salary is really a great direction to go for another guy who injury-hampered.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
Posts: 32,382
And1: 14,501
Joined: Jan 20, 2004
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Trade Thread 2021-22: To Trade Or Trade Not 

Post#1245 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:35 pm

Kemba looks rather cooked too, and he looks like a rich man's Jeff Teague. So pick your poison: a 6-0 vial of poison or a 7-2 vial of poison.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
User avatar
ParticleMan
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 14,401
And1: 7,119
Joined: Sep 16, 2004
     

Re: Trade Thread 2021-22: To Trade Or Trade Not 

Post#1246 » by ParticleMan » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:36 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Kemba looks rather cooked too, and he looks like a rich man's Jeff Teague. So pick your poison: a 6-0 vial of poison or a 7-2 vial of poison.


um, neither?

i think we can do better while still getting rid of kemba.
BK_2020
Analyst
Posts: 3,003
And1: 2,810
Joined: Sep 08, 2020
   

Re: Trade Thread 2021-22: To Trade Or Trade Not 

Post#1247 » by BK_2020 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:39 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Kemba looks rather cooked too, and he looks like a rich man's Jeff Teague. So pick your poison: a 6-0 vial of poison or a 7-2 vial of poison.

This is a bizarre hypothetical. Why would anyone prefer to drink an entire foot and 2 inches more of poison?
chrisab123
RealGM
Posts: 10,021
And1: 6,233
Joined: Jul 07, 2012
         

Re: Trade Thread 2021-22: To Trade Or Trade Not 

Post#1248 » by chrisab123 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:49 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
chrisab123 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Anyone bring up trading for LeBron? Cuz its just as likely as Chris Paul leaving the Suns for the Celtics via S&T for Kemba.


Unless Robert Sarver sells the Suns in the offseason its possible. Hes notoriously cheap.


So he’s too cheap to pay Chris Paul, but would take Kemba?


Paul can make more than Kemba next year. Even if he opts in it saves Sarver 10 million and probably nets back quite a few draft picks. Its not likely but certainly possible. I personally think a CP3 led Celtics team goes further than the Suns will.
BK_2020
Analyst
Posts: 3,003
And1: 2,810
Joined: Sep 08, 2020
   

Re: Trade Thread 2021-22: To Trade Or Trade Not 

Post#1249 » by BK_2020 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:53 pm

Booker - Ayton - Bridges is a better young core than Tatum - Brown - Smart, even if Tatum is the best player of the 6.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 52,923
And1: 6,882
Joined: Jan 13, 2005
Location: TD Garden
 

Re: Trade Thread 2021-22: To Trade Or Trade Not 

Post#1250 » by Celtics_Champs » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:59 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
chrisab123 wrote:Anyone bring up a Chris Paul S&T? If you can get him to leave Phoenix they might be willing to help facilitate and take Kemba in the process.


Anyone bring up trading for LeBron? Cuz its just as likely as Chris Paul leaving the Suns for the Celtics via S&T for Kemba.


*ahem*

Well, I guess you already forgot. But as soon as the Lakers were eliminated, I was the doofus who brought up Kemba for LeBron.

Put some respect on my name 8-)
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,394
And1: 34,396
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: Trade Thread 2021-22: To Trade Or Trade Not 

Post#1251 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:11 pm

chrisab123 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
chrisab123 wrote:
Unless Robert Sarver sells the Suns in the offseason its possible. Hes notoriously cheap.


So he’s too cheap to pay Chris Paul, but would take Kemba?


Paul can make more than Kemba next year. Even if he opts in it saves Sarver 10 million and probably nets back quite a few draft picks. Its not likely but certainly possible. I personally think a CP3 led Celtics team goes further than the Suns will.


Paul reportedly wants to opt out for a 3/100 deal. Kemba has 2/70 left. There is ZERO chance we get a S&T’d CP3 for Kemba lol
CelticsLV
Head Coach
Posts: 6,703
And1: 6,630
Joined: Jan 08, 2016
 

Re: Trade Thread 2021-22: To Trade Or Trade Not 

Post#1252 » by CelticsLV » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:37 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Booker - Ayton - Bridges is a better young core than Tatum - Brown - Smart, even if Tatum is the best player of the 6.


They are perfectly balanced. Primary, elite scorer in Booker, perfect 3&D guy in Bridges and someone who provides inside out options with Ayton. Paul rounds it out by adding elite playmaking.

Meanwhile we have Tatum doing the role of Booker, Brown is rather meh, low effort defender and his skills severly overlap with Tatum's. Smart is jack of all trades, master at none.
User avatar
GoCeltics123
RealGM
Posts: 13,691
And1: 24,984
Joined: May 05, 2015
         

Re: Trade Thread 2021-22: To Trade Or Trade Not 

Post#1253 » by GoCeltics123 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:42 pm

"The Thunder will eventually make a push toward competing, but that won’t happen until another year or two down the road. For now though, they have a high-priced former Celtic on the roster in Al Horford who would love to return to Boston, according to league sources."


Read on Twitter
THIS TEAM IS RUINING MY LIFE

Read on Twitter
User avatar
bisme37
General Manager
Posts: 7,627
And1: 19,940
Joined: May 24, 2014
 

Re: Trade Thread 2021-22: To Trade Or Trade Not 

Post#1254 » by bisme37 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:46 pm

So Kemba's cousin says yeah his feelings were hurt when Ainge tried to trade him but he's over it and loyal to his team and not asking for a trade.

https://sports.yahoo.com/while-feelings-may-hurt-trade-001412818.html
hugepatsfan
Starter
Posts: 2,037
And1: 1,534
Joined: May 28, 2020
       

Re: Trade Thread 2021-22: To Trade Or Trade Not 

Post#1255 » by hugepatsfan » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:48 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Kemba looks rather cooked too, and he looks like a rich man's Jeff Teague. So pick your poison: a 6-0 vial of poison or a 7-2 vial of poison.


One poison last 2 years, the other lasts 3 years. Easy decision.
playa-hater
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,856
And1: 3,917
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: Trade Thread 2021-22: To Trade Or Trade Not 

Post#1256 » by playa-hater » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:52 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
"The Thunder will eventually make a push toward competing, but that won’t happen until another year or two down the road. For now though, they have a high-priced former Celtic on the roster in Al Horford who would love to return to Boston, according to league sources."


Read on Twitter


clearly from Horford's perspective Boston is the one pace where need+fit+history makes Boston the est place to be. I wonder if OKC, out of repsect for horford agreeing to shut himself down will try to accominate Horford.

PS. as a backup to RW and > TT I would love Horford.
"I never lose. I either win or learn". Nelson Mandela
MagicBagley18
RealGM
Posts: 11,392
And1: 15,158
Joined: Feb 15, 2019
   

Re: Trade Thread 2021-22: To Trade Or Trade Not 

Post#1257 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:26 pm

Again, we aren’t gonna trade for kp. Just don’t see it happening but the guy scored over 23 points 14 times last year, had 8 games of at least 23 points and 10+ rebounds, 11 games of at least 12 rebounds. 10 games of at least 25 points. He shot 37% from 3 on 6 attempts.

His lateral movement has faded, he does not protect the rim at like he used to but the reason he’s such an anchor for the mavs is they NEED him to be the bonafide 2nd star and carry the team next to Luka. He wouldn’t need to do that here.

While I don’t wanna pay him 30 million dollars a year, especially a year longer than kemba- he’s still a pretty good player and has the potential to come here or elsewhere and regain some resemblance of the player he once was and if he did stay healthy and produced could be flipped or you potentially get an all star caliber guy for pennies on the dollar trade wise.

The injuries are the big concern. He still can be a productive player.
djFan71
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 9,894
And1: 12,200
Joined: Jul 24, 2010
 

Re: Trade Thread 2021-22: To Trade Or Trade Not 

Post#1258 » by djFan71 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:33 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:Again, we aren’t gonna trade for kp. Just don’t see it happening but the guy scored over 23 points 14 times last year, had 8 games of at least 23 points and 10+ rebounds, 11 games of at least 12 rebounds. 10 games of at least 25 points. He shot 37% from 3 on 6 attempts.

His lateral movement has faded, he does not protect the rim at like he used to but the reason he’s such an anchor for the mavs is they NEED him to be the bonafide 2nd star and carry the team next to Luka. He wouldn’t need to do that here.

While I don’t wanna pay him 30 million dollars a year, especially a year longer than kemba- he’s still a pretty good player and has the potential to come here or elsewhere and regain some resemblance of the player he once was and if he did stay healthy and produced could be flipped or you potentially get an all star caliber guy for pennies on the dollar trade wise.

The injuries are the big concern. He still can be a productive player.

Just as/more likely Kemba is healthy and bounces back and is easier to trade since he'll have 1 year less. By the deadline next year he's basically an expiring that will be easy to move. While acknowledging your point, all I see is downside with KP.
User avatar
Celts17Pride
RealGM
Posts: 50,209
And1: 40,364
Joined: Nov 27, 2005

Re: Trade Thread 2021-22: To Trade Or Trade Not 

Post#1259 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:33 pm

Very interested in a Kemba for Horford deal. Horford fills a need, wants to be in Boston and most importantly has a 2 year deal at $40 million guaranteed and about $55 million total. Just makes too much sense.

Would try to do a future 1st instead of the #16 pick this year.

Edit:

Kemba, G Williams, future lottery protected 1st for Horford, future 2nd round pick
djFan71
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 9,894
And1: 12,200
Joined: Jul 24, 2010
 

Re: Trade Thread 2021-22: To Trade Or Trade Not 

Post#1260 » by djFan71 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:38 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:Very interested in a Kemba for Horford deal. Horford fills a need, wants to be in Boston and most importantly has a 2 year deal at $40 million guaranteed and about $55 million total. Just makes to much sense.

Would try to do a future 1st instead of the #16 pick this year

I get hesitant about including any additional asset, but a KP to OKC, Horf to us, Kemba & OKC pick to DAL is my dream right now.

If the price needs another asset, I'm out. If we can't use his salary/picks for a much better player than Al, I might just roll with Kemba til the deadline and see where we're at.

Return to Boston Celtics