ImageImageImage

Trade Thread 2021-22: To Trade Or Trade Not

Moderators: ParticleMan, sully00, The Comedian, Parliament10, canman1971, djFan71, Froob

Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 40,365

Re: Trade Thread 2021-22: To Trade Or Trade Not 

Post#1261 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:43 pm

djFan71 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Very interested in a Kemba for Horford deal. Horford fills a need, wants to be in Boston and most importantly has a 2 year deal at $40 million guaranteed and about $55 million total. Just makes to much sense.

Would try to do a future 1st instead of the #16 pick this year

I get hesitant about including any additional asset, but a KP to OKC, Horf to us, Kemba & OKC pick to DAL is my dream right now.

If the price needs another asset, I'm out. If we can't use his salary/picks for a much better player than Al, I might just roll with Kemba til the deadline and see where we're at.

Need an asset because Kemba has $30 million more of guaranteed money. OKC wouldn’t even look at it without the additional asset.

I think there is a real strong risk that Kemba and Porzingis will actually have even less value by next year’s trade deadline. Both can’t stay healthy.

Celtics either trade Kemba this summer or are going to be stuck with him the next 2 years in my opinion
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 15,158

Post#1262 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:46 pm

djFan71 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:Again, we aren’t gonna trade for kp. Just don’t see it happening but the guy scored over 23 points 14 times last year, had 8 games of at least 23 points and 10+ rebounds, 11 games of at least 12 rebounds. 10 games of at least 25 points. He shot 37% from 3 on 6 attempts.

His lateral movement has faded, he does not protect the rim at like he used to but the reason he’s such an anchor for the mavs is they NEED him to be the bonafide 2nd star and carry the team next to Luka. He wouldn’t need to do that here.

While I don’t wanna pay him 30 million dollars a year, especially a year longer than kemba- he’s still a pretty good player and has the potential to come here or elsewhere and regain some resemblance of the player he once was and if he did stay healthy and produced could be flipped or you potentially get an all star caliber guy for pennies on the dollar trade wise.

The injuries are the big concern. He still can be a productive player.

Just as/more likely Kemba is healthy and bounces back and is easier to trade since he'll have 1 year less. By the deadline next year he's basically an expiring that will be easy to move. While acknowledging your point, all I see is downside with KP.

Except if one stays healthy, you have a 7 ft 3, floor space who is 25 and could be a top player in the league who can still be flipped. Kemba is an undersized 30 year old point guard.
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#1263 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:48 pm

I still think people are high on horford bc he fit stevens system so well....Stevens isn’t the coach anymore. We have no idea how he would fit in new coaches said scheme.
BK_2020
Analyst
And1: 2,810

Post#1264 » by BK_2020 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:51 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:Again, we aren’t gonna trade for kp. Just don’t see it happening but the guy scored over 23 points 14 times last year, had 8 games of at least 23 points and 10+ rebounds, 11 games of at least 12 rebounds. 10 games of at least 25 points. He shot 37% from 3 on 6 attempts.

His lateral movement has faded, he does not protect the rim at like he used to but the reason he’s such an anchor for the mavs is they NEED him to be the bonafide 2nd star and carry the team next to Luka. He wouldn’t need to do that here.

While I don’t wanna pay him 30 million dollars a year, especially a year longer than kemba- he’s still a pretty good player and has the potential to come here or elsewhere and regain some resemblance of the player he once was and if he did stay healthy and produced could be flipped or you potentially get an all star caliber guy for pennies on the dollar trade wise.

Just as/more likely Kemba is healthy and bounces back and is easier to trade since he'll have 1 year less. By the deadline next year he's basically an expiring that will be easy to move. While acknowledging your point, all I see is downside with KP.

Except if one stays healthy, you have a 7 ft 3, floor space who is 25 and could be a top player in the league who can still be flipped. Kemba is an undersized 30 year old point guard.

My take on healthy Porzingis is that the whole 'unicorn' archetype is overrated as hell and I wouldn't want him at his price-point even if healthy. A 7 footer who stands around on the perimeter only exists for the opposing teams to hide their worst defenders on. Having a 'stretch 4' also requires the team to run double bigs to have any rebounding presence and someone in the dunker's spot as a lob threat, which kills the team defensively.
djFan71
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 12,200

Post#1265 » by djFan71 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:52 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Very interested in a Kemba for Horford deal. Horford fills a need, wants to be in Boston and most importantly has a 2 year deal at $40 million guaranteed and about $55 million total. Just makes to much sense.

Would try to do a future 1st instead of the #16 pick this year

I get hesitant about including any additional asset, but a KP to OKC, Horf to us, Kemba & OKC pick to DAL is my dream right now.

If the price needs another asset, I'm out. If we can't use his salary/picks for a much better player than Al, I might just roll with Kemba til the deadline and see where we're at.

Need an asset because Kemba has $30 million more of guaranteed money. OKC wouldn’t even look at it without the additional asset.

I think there is a real strong risk that Kemba and Porzingis will actually have even less value by next year’s trade deadline. Both can’t stay healthy.

Celtics either trade Kemba this summer or are going to be stuff with him the next 2 years in my opinion

Yeah, I get that - just don't wanna do it, lol. We don't need to lose more talent. I like Al, and think he'd fill the 3rd/4th big perfectly, but he's a downgrade in overall talent level. Then losing 16 as well hurts. My prefence would be something like:

- Use his salary, picks, young guys (#14s, PP, Smart if it's worth it) in a trade for a true impact player. Not getting a superstar, but Jrue level seems feasible.

- Unload him for no additional cost to a team looking to roll the dice he bounces back. Once the FAs have signed, somebody will have lost out.

- Keep him and let him get buckets as 6th man and see how things look at the deadline or next summer.

Even if he looks like he'd never play again, an expiring max can be dealt next summer, and that's worst case scenario.
djFan71
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 12,200

Post#1266 » by djFan71 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:58 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:

Yeah, I mean I'd rather have neither for sure. I don't even really believe in fully healthy KP as a true impact player, and the true unicorn is a KP that is fully healthy. But, it's all good, we're not going to convince each other here. One of the few times we disagree, which is fun.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,883

Post#1267 » by Celtics_Champs » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:24 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:I still think people are high on horford bc he fit stevens system so well....Stevens isn’t the coach anymore. We have no idea how he would fit in new coaches said scheme.

He’s fit in pretty damn good with three out of the four NBA teams he’s been on.
BK_2020
Analyst

Post#1268 » by BK_2020 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:25 pm

Celtics_Champs wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:I still think people are high on horford bc he fit stevens system so well....Stevens isn’t the coach anymore. We have no idea how he would fit in new coaches said scheme.

The Hawks, the Celtics.... who's the 3rd?
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1269 » by Celtics_Champs » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:29 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
Celtics_Champs wrote:

His play on OKC in his short time there is the only reason some are even considering this trade.

I don’t have a horse in this race though. I’d welcome him back but won’t salivate at the thought.

I do think it’s the perfect “get your beak wet” trade for Stevens though.
BK_2020
Analyst

Post#1270 » by BK_2020 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:30 pm

Celtics_Champs wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:
Celtics_Champs wrote:

His play on OKC in his short time there is the only reason some are even considering this trade.

I don’t have a horse in this race though. I’d welcome him back but won’t salivate at the thought.

I do think it’s the perfect “get your beak wet” trade for Stevens though.

I like everyone else did not watch the Thunder last season but it looks like his stats were abysmal before he got shut down.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1271 » by Celtics_Champs » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:36 pm

He put up roughly the same numbers that got him a 97 million dollar deal.

Again I’m not hollering for him, I just don’t think that he is going to come back and her put up a Mark Blount type of line. He will give Boston some good minutes.
BK_2020
Analyst

Post#1272 » by BK_2020 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:38 pm

Celtics_Champs wrote:He put up roughly the same numbers that got him a 97 million dollar deal.

Again I’m not hollering for him, I just don’t think that he is going to come back and her put up a Mark Blount type of line. He will give Boston some good minutes.

he shot almost 10% worse from the field compared to his last season in Boston....
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1273 » by Celtics_Champs » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:45 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
Celtics_Champs wrote:He put up roughly the same numbers that got him a 97 million dollar deal.

he shot almost 10% worse from the field compared to his last season in Boston....

This is why I chimed in. No one is debating his decline, there’s just not much better. That’s why I want to keep Kemba and pray he comes back to form.

I’m just saying I wouldn’t worry about Horfords production under a coach like Sam Cassell. He doesn’t need Brad to play productive minutes.
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#1274 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:01 pm

Personally, something like Kennard and Beverly from the clippers for kemba is more enticing to me than horford. Kennard is a shooter who fills a need for us and Beverly is an expiring. Not the best and may not even be possible but it’s something I’d be more interested jn than al horford again.
captain green
Analyst
And1: 2,085

Post#1275 » by captain green » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:02 pm

Nope on al I laughed so hard during his philly days and laughed even harder when okc said stay home that's what he gets for bailing. I'd look to trade kemba for Beverly and change
We always talk about there’s A-to-Z… really, there’s A-to-G or -E,’” Ainge told Celtics.com of a team’s typical offseason agenda. “This year, there’s definitely A-to-Z.” : danny ainge
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 7,603

Post#1276 » by Edug27 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:15 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Booker - Ayton - Bridges is a better young core than Tatum - Brown - Smart, even if Tatum is the best player of the 6.

It’s because Smart isn’t that good.

Jaylen and Tatum vs Booker and Ayton is comparable. It’s when you throw in Smart and Bridges is where things get off balanced.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,396

Post#1277 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:22 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
"The Thunder will eventually make a push toward competing, but that won’t happen until another year or two down the road. For now though, they have a high-priced former Celtic on the roster in Al Horford who would love to return to Boston, according to league sources."

Read on Twitter

Again; feels like getting a guy who left who would love to be here would do wonders to improve our rep around the league.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 19,765

Post#1278 » by mademan » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:25 pm

Edug27 wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:Booker - Ayton - Bridges is a better young core than Tatum - Brown - Smart, even if Tatum is the best player of the 6.

It’s because Smart isn’t that good.

Jaylen and Tatum vs Booker and Ayton is comparable. It’s when you throw in Smart and Bridges is where things get off balanced.

It's also positional. Ayton is looking like a future DPOY candidate and a possible 20/10 guy with Booker as a 3 level scorer star. Tatum is a future MVP type player but where does Brown fit in? His best attribute is scoring and that's Tatum's best skill. There's more overlap with the Boston duo even tho they have the higher talent ceiling.
bucknersrevenge
Head Coach
And1: 8,187

Post#1279 » by bucknersrevenge » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:57 pm

As far as KP goes, he's had surgery on both knees now. The ACL in his left that ended his 2017-18 season and at the end of last season, right knee soreness that has trickled into this year. Those injuries have to be the source of his declining defense as he has not moved as crisply as he was when he was back in NY. So the question is, at 25, just entering his prime, with a full offseason for the first time in a couple of years, can he rest and rehab those knees and possibly regain some of that mobility that made him that "unicorn" that everyone loved or is he toast? Where is exculpatory when you need him? That's the real question regarding KP. Keep in mind, with TimeLord, we're already on "big man babysitting duty" here. If he regains just some of his mobility after a year, he could potentially be tradeable again. Still not sure how I feel about this. I see the pluses and minuses for acquiring him.
I am the RealGM President of the Tacko Fall fan club. Playa-hater, 31to6, thank you for having my back fam. I still say we haven't seen the last of Tacko.
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager
And1: 1,230

Post#1280 » by CelticFaninLBC » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:26 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
"The Thunder will eventually make a push toward competing, but that won’t happen until another year or two down the road. For now though, they have a high-priced former Celtic on the roster in Al Horford who would love to return to Boston, according to league sources."

Read on Twitter

Those are some brutal trade options. Hopefully they don't have to deal off the 16th pick to move Kemba for anyone mentioned in the article.

Return to Boston Celtics