ImageImageImage

OT: Meme stocks

Moderators: Froob, sully00, ParticleMan, The Comedian, canman1971, Parliament10, djFan71

Bill Bradley
RealGM
Posts: 13,423
And1: 1,931
Joined: Mar 03, 2005
Location: Boston
 

Re: OT: Meme stocks 

Post#101 » by Bill Bradley » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:07 am

Celtic Esquire wrote:Sold my AMC shares today for a 515% profit. Thank you Reddit bag holders!


What bag holders are you talking about? The stock is near an all time high and could blow anytime, potentially today. The squeeze index is 100 out of 100. I've taken profit a few times on this and almost got scared into selling yesterday because of manipulation, but glad I didn't because it went from down big to up 10%. If this thing runs soon you will regret selling, but at least you were able to take profit. I understand why you did because this stock is a roller coaster and anything could happen.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,579
And1: 34,662
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: OT: Meme stocks 

Post#102 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:40 pm

Bill Bradley wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Bill Bradley wrote:
LOL they aren’t shorting. I don’t think you’ve looked into this. We will see, hopefully soon.


I have. Theres 23% short interest. Thats really not too atypical in the market. You cannot cause a significant price inducing short squeeze from 23% short interest.



There is over $24 billion owed by shorts and they just keep kicking the can down the road and borrowing more to short. Hard to know how many shares there even are out there due to synthetic shares and dark pool trading. When they are finally margin called is when the squeeze will happen. If it closes above $40 today (certainly will happen) an enormous number of call options expiring in the money and more at $60. There's a reason for the constant ladder attacks and shorts trying to defend $60 with all that they have. If this goes much higher there will be a massive squeeze.


You dont even understand what dark pool trading is. Hedge funds trade in such volume that they dont use dark pools. Some brokers will route trades to their own pools, but they generally diversify their risk in that area and trade with multiple brokers who find trades directly on the exchanges. Retail investors like yourself use them and HFT like citadel front run all of you. If youre using Robinhood, you are trading on a dark pool.

The company is worth 32B on todays pricing. There is not 24B in short interest against AMC. Again, hedge funds got largely terrified by GME such that they actively try to avoid common shorts or meme stocks. In general, the risk functions at all of these big banks wont allow naked short selling of meme stocks unless theyre compensated immensely.
Bill Bradley
RealGM
Posts: 13,423
And1: 1,931
Joined: Mar 03, 2005
Location: Boston
 

Re: OT: Meme stocks 

Post#103 » by Bill Bradley » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:19 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Bill Bradley wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
I have. Theres 23% short interest. Thats really not too atypical in the market. You cannot cause a significant price inducing short squeeze from 23% short interest.



There is over $24 billion owed by shorts and they just keep kicking the can down the road and borrowing more to short. Hard to know how many shares there even are out there due to synthetic shares and dark pool trading. When they are finally margin called is when the squeeze will happen. If it closes above $40 today (certainly will happen) an enormous number of call options expiring in the money and more at $60. There's a reason for the constant ladder attacks and shorts trying to defend $60 with all that they have. If this goes much higher there will be a massive squeeze.


You dont even understand what dark pool trading is. Hedge funds trade in such volume that they dont use dark pools. Some brokers will route trades to their own pools, but they generally diversify their risk in that area and trade with multiple brokers who find trades directly on the exchanges. Retail investors like yourself use them and HFT like citadel front run all of you. If youre using Robinhood, you are trading on a dark pool.

The company is worth 32B on todays pricing. There is not 24B in short interest against AMC. Again, hedge funds got largely terrified by GME such that they actively try to avoid common shorts or meme stocks. In general, the risk functions at all of these big banks wont allow naked short selling of meme stocks unless theyre compensated immensely.


What you're saying does not align at all with what is happening. There was just a CNBC special on AMC yesterday where they talked about the use of dark pools and hedge funds shorting AMC, especially Citadel. They are taking out hundreds of millions of dollars daily to short AMC and it's not working. I follow the stock closely and there are multiple short ladder attacks daily. If there were no big money hedge funds shorting and suppressing AMC, this thing would be in the hundreds already. There is a reason they are battling right now to keep it below $65 and $70.

We will see what happens. Will be interested to see what you have to say when this squeezes ;)
Bill Bradley
RealGM
Posts: 13,423
And1: 1,931
Joined: Mar 03, 2005
Location: Boston
 

Re: OT: Meme stocks 

Post#104 » by Bill Bradley » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:51 pm

Dark pools getting some media attention.

SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,579
And1: 34,662
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: OT: Meme stocks 

Post#105 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:14 am

Bill Bradley wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Bill Bradley wrote:

There is over $24 billion owed by shorts and they just keep kicking the can down the road and borrowing more to short. Hard to know how many shares there even are out there due to synthetic shares and dark pool trading. When they are finally margin called is when the squeeze will happen. If it closes above $40 today (certainly will happen) an enormous number of call options expiring in the money and more at $60. There's a reason for the constant ladder attacks and shorts trying to defend $60 with all that they have. If this goes much higher there will be a massive squeeze.


You dont even understand what dark pool trading is. Hedge funds trade in such volume that they dont use dark pools. Some brokers will route trades to their own pools, but they generally diversify their risk in that area and trade with multiple brokers who find trades directly on the exchanges. Retail investors like yourself use them and HFT like citadel front run all of you. If youre using Robinhood, you are trading on a dark pool.

The company is worth 32B on todays pricing. There is not 24B in short interest against AMC. Again, hedge funds got largely terrified by GME such that they actively try to avoid common shorts or meme stocks. In general, the risk functions at all of these big banks wont allow naked short selling of meme stocks unless theyre compensated immensely.


What you're saying does not align at all with what is happening. There was just a CNBC special on AMC yesterday where they talked about the use of dark pools and hedge funds shorting AMC, especially Citadel. They are taking out hundreds of millions of dollars daily to short AMC and it's not working. I follow the stock closely and there are multiple short ladder attacks daily. If there were no big money hedge funds shorting and suppressing AMC, this thing would be in the hundreds already. There is a reason they are battling right now to keep it below $65 and $70.

We will see what happens. Will be interested to see what you have to say when this squeezes ;)


Id recommend you read the book Flash Boys by Michael Lewis; he does a great job explaining what dark pools are and how companies like Citadel run them to ‘source liquidity’ and front run your trades.

Brad Katsuyama, the subject of the book, has also given many good talks about how theyre **** you. I’d recommend reading about him and the exchange he created. Cheers.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,579
And1: 34,662
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: OT: Meme stocks 

Post#106 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:16 am

Question for the crypto crew here— have you looked up quantum computing? If so, are you worried itll fundamentally destroy the crypto business model and some hacker will steal everything? Im legitimately curious and have no idea.
User avatar
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 24,038
And1: 13,716
Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Location: Atlantic Champs OMG OMG OMG!

Re: OT: Meme stocks 

Post#107 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:53 am

Quantum computing is a threat to everything. If you can hack the cryptography that secures bitcoin, you can hack the encryption that secures all data, i.e. governmental intelligence, all financial institutions, all cloud computing, the entire internet, whatever. Cryptocurrency is a drop in the bucket compared to everything else that is broken by quantum computing.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
djFan71
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 10,131
And1: 12,661
Joined: Jul 24, 2010
 

Re: OT: Meme stocks 

Post#108 » by djFan71 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:14 am

It's supposedly a decade away or so. So, live it up then until then. Then live it up again when it'll only be a decade away again. It's on the superconductor and hydrogen as fuel path at this point.

But, if it ever happens, yeah, it's gonna be crazy. It'll be a real Y2K scramble to update EVERYTHING with better security all at once. It seems like you can't possibly make security that can withstand quantum attacks without being on quantum yourself.

Crypto could be an easier target, since it lacks institutional support (ie, someone trying to catch the quantum hackers). But it'll by no means the most lucrative one.
User avatar
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 24,038
And1: 13,716
Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Location: Atlantic Champs OMG OMG OMG!

Re: OT: Meme stocks 

Post#109 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:20 am

Everything is a decade away.

They could even alter our And-1 counts if they wanted.

Crypto will be a $100T industry within the decade, there will be plenty of institutional support. Hacking it wouldn't be a means towards profit really, it would be means towards destroying it for whatever reason. If you prove that there is no security to cryptocurrency it is essentially worthless.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
djFan71
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 10,131
And1: 12,661
Joined: Jul 24, 2010
 

Re: OT: Meme stocks 

Post#110 » by djFan71 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:26 am

Bleeding Green wrote:Everything is a decade away.

They could even alter our And-1 counts if they wanted.

Crypto will be a $100T industry within the decade, there will be plenty of institutional support. Hacking it wouldn't be a means towards profit really, it would be means towards destroying it for whatever reason. If you prove that there is no security to cryptocurrency it is essentially worthless.

Nah, and1s are immutable. Basic law of physics.
brackdan70
RealGM
Posts: 11,982
And1: 7,161
Joined: Jul 15, 2013
Location: Ogden, UT
     

Re: OT: Meme stocks 

Post#111 » by brackdan70 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:47 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Just curious if there are any other apes on this board. If so, how long are you hodling until? If you know, you know.

:banghead:
Sign here
brackdan70
RealGM
Posts: 11,982
And1: 7,161
Joined: Jul 15, 2013
Location: Ogden, UT
     

Re: OT: Meme stocks 

Post#112 » by brackdan70 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:49 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:Quantum computing is a threat to everything. If you can hack the cryptography that secures bitcoin, you can hack the encryption that secures all data, i.e. governmental intelligence, all financial institutions, all cloud computing, the entire internet, whatever. Cryptocurrency is a drop in the bucket compared to everything else that is broken by quantum computing.


QUBT and DMYI to the moon


Oops I thought I was on Stocktwits
Sign here
Bill Bradley
RealGM
Posts: 13,423
And1: 1,931
Joined: Mar 03, 2005
Location: Boston
 

Re: OT: Meme stocks 

Post#113 » by Bill Bradley » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:15 am

threrf23
RealGM
Posts: 13,963
And1: 3,541
Joined: Mar 22, 2004
Contact:

Re: OT: Meme stocks 

Post#114 » by threrf23 » Wed Jul 7, 2021 5:50 pm

Get ready?

Read on Twitter
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,579
And1: 34,662
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: OT: Meme stocks 

Post#115 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:59 pm

Bill Bradley wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Bill Bradley wrote:

There is over $24 billion owed by shorts and they just keep kicking the can down the road and borrowing more to short. Hard to know how many shares there even are out there due to synthetic shares and dark pool trading. When they are finally margin called is when the squeeze will happen. If it closes above $40 today (certainly will happen) an enormous number of call options expiring in the money and more at $60. There's a reason for the constant ladder attacks and shorts trying to defend $60 with all that they have. If this goes much higher there will be a massive squeeze.


You dont even understand what dark pool trading is. Hedge funds trade in such volume that they dont use dark pools. Some brokers will route trades to their own pools, but they generally diversify their risk in that area and trade with multiple brokers who find trades directly on the exchanges. Retail investors like yourself use them and HFT like citadel front run all of you. If youre using Robinhood, you are trading on a dark pool.

The company is worth 32B on todays pricing. There is not 24B in short interest against AMC. Again, hedge funds got largely terrified by GME such that they actively try to avoid common shorts or meme stocks. In general, the risk functions at all of these big banks wont allow naked short selling of meme stocks unless theyre compensated immensely.


What you're saying does not align at all with what is happening. There was just a CNBC special on AMC yesterday where they talked about the use of dark pools and hedge funds shorting AMC, especially Citadel. They are taking out hundreds of millions of dollars daily to short AMC and it's not working. I follow the stock closely and there are multiple short ladder attacks daily. If there were no big money hedge funds shorting and suppressing AMC, this thing would be in the hundreds already. There is a reason they are battling right now to keep it below $65 and $70.

We will see what happens. Will be interested to see what you have to say when this squeezes ;)


Hi.

For people wondering how QAnon believers come to be, its instances like this. You read something you want to believe, see a cool looking youtube throwing out misleading information and you choose to believe that over objective facts. Its not that serious, but this squeeze narrative was never real.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
Posts: 19,848
And1: 6,584
Joined: Jun 18, 2004
 

Re: OT: Meme stocks 

Post#116 » by Andrew McCeltic » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:53 pm

djFan71 wrote:It's supposedly a decade away or so. So, live it up then until then. Then live it up again when it'll only be a decade away again. It's on the superconductor and hydrogen as fuel path at this point.

But, if it ever happens, yeah, it's gonna be crazy. It'll be a real Y2K scramble to update EVERYTHING with better security all at once. It seems like you can't possibly make security that can withstand quantum attacks without being on quantum yourself.

Crypto could be an easier target, since it lacks institutional support (ie, someone trying to catch the quantum hackers). But it'll by no means the most lucrative one.


The run-up to quantum computing will take long enough that people will be able to start the pivot in advance..
User avatar
Celtic Esquire
General Manager
Posts: 8,829
And1: 3,429
Joined: Aug 24, 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
     

Re: OT: Meme stocks 

Post#117 » by Celtic Esquire » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:04 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Bill Bradley wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
You dont even understand what dark pool trading is. Hedge funds trade in such volume that they dont use dark pools. Some brokers will route trades to their own pools, but they generally diversify their risk in that area and trade with multiple brokers who find trades directly on the exchanges. Retail investors like yourself use them and HFT like citadel front run all of you. If youre using Robinhood, you are trading on a dark pool.

The company is worth 32B on todays pricing. There is not 24B in short interest against AMC. Again, hedge funds got largely terrified by GME such that they actively try to avoid common shorts or meme stocks. In general, the risk functions at all of these big banks wont allow naked short selling of meme stocks unless theyre compensated immensely.


What you're saying does not align at all with what is happening. There was just a CNBC special on AMC yesterday where they talked about the use of dark pools and hedge funds shorting AMC, especially Citadel. They are taking out hundreds of millions of dollars daily to short AMC and it's not working. I follow the stock closely and there are multiple short ladder attacks daily. If there were no big money hedge funds shorting and suppressing AMC, this thing would be in the hundreds already. There is a reason they are battling right now to keep it below $65 and $70.

We will see what happens. Will be interested to see what you have to say when this squeezes ;)


Hi.

For people wondering how QAnon believers come to be, its instances like this. You read something you want to believe, see a cool looking youtube throwing out misleading information and you choose to believe that over objective facts. Its not that serious, but this squeeze narrative was never real.


Still very happy that I sold AMC when it was $61 a share. Got a nice 5 figure profit out of it and bought a Big Green Egg for summertime grilling and smoking!

All the AMC bros on reddit and discord are discouraged now and they are dogging AMC. Thinking about shorting it now to complete the cycle. :lol:
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,579
And1: 34,662
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: OT: Meme stocks 

Post#118 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:48 pm

Celtic Esquire wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Bill Bradley wrote:
What you're saying does not align at all with what is happening. There was just a CNBC special on AMC yesterday where they talked about the use of dark pools and hedge funds shorting AMC, especially Citadel. They are taking out hundreds of millions of dollars daily to short AMC and it's not working. I follow the stock closely and there are multiple short ladder attacks daily. If there were no big money hedge funds shorting and suppressing AMC, this thing would be in the hundreds already. There is a reason they are battling right now to keep it below $65 and $70.

We will see what happens. Will be interested to see what you have to say when this squeezes ;)


Hi.

For people wondering how QAnon believers come to be, its instances like this. You read something you want to believe, see a cool looking youtube throwing out misleading information and you choose to believe that over objective facts. Its not that serious, but this squeeze narrative was never real.


Still very happy that I sold AMC when it was $61 a share. Got a nice 5 figure profit out of it and bought a Big Green Egg for summertime grilling and smoking!

All the AMC bros on reddit and discord are discouraged now and they are dogging AMC. Thinking about shorting it now to complete the cycle. :lol:


A) thats awesome
B) Uncle sam is gonna come for 40% of that profit as an FYI; just dont want to see you get surprised if your brokerage didnt auto-deduct taxes when you file your return at year end
Bill Bradley
RealGM
Posts: 13,423
And1: 1,931
Joined: Mar 03, 2005
Location: Boston
 

Re: OT: Meme stocks 

Post#119 » by Bill Bradley » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:04 am

Celtic Esquire wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Bill Bradley wrote:
What you're saying does not align at all with what is happening. There was just a CNBC special on AMC yesterday where they talked about the use of dark pools and hedge funds shorting AMC, especially Citadel. They are taking out hundreds of millions of dollars daily to short AMC and it's not working. I follow the stock closely and there are multiple short ladder attacks daily. If there were no big money hedge funds shorting and suppressing AMC, this thing would be in the hundreds already. There is a reason they are battling right now to keep it below $65 and $70.

We will see what happens. Will be interested to see what you have to say when this squeezes ;)


Hi.

For people wondering how QAnon believers come to be, its instances like this. You read something you want to believe, see a cool looking youtube throwing out misleading information and you choose to believe that over objective facts. Its not that serious, but this squeeze narrative was never real.


Still very happy that I sold AMC when it was $61 a share. Got a nice 5 figure profit out of it and bought a Big Green Egg for summertime grilling and smoking!

All the AMC bros on reddit and discord are discouraged now and they are dogging AMC. Thinking about shorting it now to complete the cycle. :lol:


This story isn't over so I would save the victory lap until this plays out. There's always a big dip before the squeeze. I think what will happen is more of a controlled squeeze that will go well above what you sold for but we shall see. Those who you see dogging AMC are trolls paid by hedge funds who are shorting; more trolls actually means that it's closer to the squeeze.

But by all means, go ahead and short it ;)
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,579
And1: 34,662
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: OT: Meme stocks 

Post#120 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:59 am

Bill Bradley wrote:
Celtic Esquire wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Hi.

For people wondering how QAnon believers come to be, its instances like this. You read something you want to believe, see a cool looking youtube throwing out misleading information and you choose to believe that over objective facts. Its not that serious, but this squeeze narrative was never real.


Still very happy that I sold AMC when it was $61 a share. Got a nice 5 figure profit out of it and bought a Big Green Egg for summertime grilling and smoking!

All the AMC bros on reddit and discord are discouraged now and they are dogging AMC. Thinking about shorting it now to complete the cycle. :lol:


This story isn't over so I would save the victory lap until this plays out. There's always a big dip before the squeeze. I think what will happen is more of a controlled squeeze that will go well above what you sold for but we shall see. Those who you see dogging AMC are trolls paid by hedge funds who are shorting; more trolls actually means that it's closer to the squeeze.

But by all means, go ahead and short it ;)


For all other curious users, this is also a tactic employed by QAnon, shift the goalposts, reject reason and widen the conspiracy.

Return to Boston Celtics