ImageImageImage

Ainge Retires - Stevens to Front Office - Celtics search for New Head Coach

Moderators: ParticleMan, sully00, The Comedian, Parliament10, canman1971, djFan71, Froob

Theocy
Pro Prospect
Posts: 966
And1: 865
Joined: Aug 27, 2017
 

Re: Ainge Retires - Stevens to Front Office - Celtics search for New Head Coach 

Post#1941 » by Theocy » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:50 pm

I think we all need to chill a bit.
User avatar
VeryMuchWoke
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,489
And1: 5,277
Joined: Dec 18, 2011
Location: Brooklyn
 

Re: Ainge Retires - Stevens to Front Office - Celtics search for New Head Coach 

Post#1942 » by VeryMuchWoke » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:59 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
watsonthedragon wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:Zero Tolerance Policy
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2087387


Can you explain how his post goes against this policy? He’s literally saying skin color should not come into play...


Because what **** relevance does skin color or sex have to do with anything. No one here has suggested anyone unqualified for the job. So why is he bringing it up?

Answer: We all know why. Its to imply the people being suggested arent qualified and are being mentioned because theyre black and/or have a vagina. Lets stop pretending he wasnt doing what we all know he was doing.


(Note: all this applies to sexism as well, especially when it comes to the NBA, but I'm going to focus on race for simplicities sake)

I totally agree with you SmartWentCrazy, but I also think banning/suspending/censuring people for taking a "colorblind" type of stance may not be the best way to bring people over to our side, which is ultimately important for improving the society we all share.

A lot of decent non-racist people have been sold on the "colorblind" stance because in a vacuum, without understanding the systemic effects of racism, it sounds very reasonable. Maybe this isn't the place for it, but I'd rather at least try to educate these people and find some common ground to rehabilitate them - so long as they aren't overtly racist/sexist or otherwise bigoted. This is not meant to criticize how mods are handling the issue, but only to offer my perspective as a member of the community.

The way I look at it, racism works against black people at every level. On average, they get fewer opportunities and have more obstacles thrown in their way. Hence they "underperform" their white counterparts in terms of accolades/accomplishments/resume. Hence there are a lot of talented black people that are undervalued, and a rational actor in the market would look to exploit this market inefficiency by hiring the black disadvantaged guy with the same resume as the white advantaged guy since the cost will be the same and the black person will be more talented. The first step is putting aside the cognitive bias you likely have against black people so you can recognize when the opportunity is there. So even from a somewhat gross utilitarian perspective, affirmative action is justified. Furthermore, and more importantly, from the social justice perspective mitigating racism is simply the right thing to do.
"Danny Ainge needs to shut the **** up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him."
Pat Riley
nic4747
Pro Prospect
Posts: 880
And1: 523
Joined: May 16, 2011

Re: Ainge Retires - Stevens to Front Office - Celtics search for New Head Coach 

Post#1943 » by nic4747 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:15 pm

VeryMuchWoke wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
watsonthedragon wrote:
Can you explain how his post goes against this policy? He’s literally saying skin color should not come into play...


Because what **** relevance does skin color or sex have to do with anything. No one here has suggested anyone unqualified for the job. So why is he bringing it up?

Answer: We all know why. Its to imply the people being suggested arent qualified and are being mentioned because theyre black and/or have a vagina. Lets stop pretending he wasnt doing what we all know he was doing.


(Note: all this applies to sexism as well, especially when it comes to the NBA, but I'm going to focus on race for simplicities sake)

I totally agree with you SmartWentCrazy, but I also think banning/suspending/censuring people for taking a "colorblind" type of stance may not be the best way to bring people over to our side, which is ultimately important for improving the society we all share.

A lot of decent non-racist people have been sold on the "colorblind" stance because in a vacuum, without understanding the systemic effects of racism, it sounds very reasonable. Maybe this isn't the place for it, but I'd rather at least try to educate these people and find some common ground to rehabilitate them - so long as they aren't overtly racist/sexist or otherwise bigoted. This is not meant to criticize how mods are handling the issue, but only to offer my perspective as a member of the community.

The way I look at it, racism works against black people at every level. On average, they get fewer opportunities and have more obstacles thrown in their way. Hence they "underperform" their white counterparts in terms of accolades/accomplishments/resume. Hence there are a lot of talented black people that are undervalued, and a rational actor in the market would look to exploit this market inefficiency by hiring the black disadvantaged guy with the same resume as the white advantaged guy since the cost will be the same and the black person will be more talented. The first step is putting aside the cognitive bias you likely have against black people so you can recognize when the opportunity is there. So even from a somewhat gross utilitarian perspective, affirmative action is justified. Furthermore, and more importantly, from the social justice perspective mitigating racism is simply the right thing to do.


100% agree with this. The "I'm colorblind" response has been seen as an acceptable response to racial stuff for decades and most people who say it mean well and don't deserve to be lumped in with the actual bigots. And, in a perfect world, skin color wouldn't be a factor. But, we don't live in a perfect world and as I've said previously, the Celtics should hire a black head coach as there are several strategic advantages to doing so.

Side note, I absolutely love the bolded part of your post. Most people come at this from a moral perspective which is all well and good, but there is also a strong argument from a business / logic perspective as well. Kinda similar to how Danny looks for value in the drafts.
User avatar
GoCeltics123
RealGM
Posts: 13,675
And1: 24,919
Joined: May 05, 2015
         

Re: Ainge Retires - Stevens to Front Office - Celtics search for New Head Coach 

Post#1944 » by GoCeltics123 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:19 pm

Read on Twitter


****
THIS TEAM IS RUINING MY LIFE

Read on Twitter
User avatar
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
Posts: 13,871
And1: 7,173
Joined: May 13, 2003
Location: 17 Championship BLVD
       

Re: Ainge Retires - Stevens to Front Office - Celtics search for New Head Coach 

Post#1945 » by canman1971 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:22 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
Read on Twitter


****

Oh good god!
Almeida
Junior
Posts: 291
And1: 320
Joined: Nov 13, 2016
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
   

Re: Ainge Retires - Stevens to Front Office - Celtics search for New Head Coach 

Post#1946 » by Almeida » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:22 pm

Hopefully that doesn’t mean he thinks he has good chances of becoming our head coach...
User avatar
bisme37
General Manager
Posts: 7,561
And1: 19,750
Joined: May 24, 2014
 

Re: Ainge Retires - Stevens to Front Office - Celtics search for New Head Coach 

Post#1947 » by bisme37 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:26 pm

Dame and Kidd to Boston, then fire Kidd.
User avatar
Bohemian
Starter
Posts: 2,109
And1: 1,485
Joined: Jul 24, 2012
 

Re: Ainge Retires - Stevens to Front Office - Celtics search for New Head Coach 

Post#1948 » by Bohemian » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:29 pm

I hope it means Kidd is coming to the C´s
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,332
And1: 34,297
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: Ainge Retires - Stevens to Front Office - Celtics search for New Head Coach 

Post#1949 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:30 pm

No. **** no. Please god no. I want nothing to do with Kidd.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,332
And1: 34,297
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: Ainge Retires - Stevens to Front Office - Celtics search for New Head Coach 

Post#1950 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:34 pm

Bohemian wrote:I hope it means Kidd is coming to the C´s


Why do you hate us?
User avatar
GoCeltics123
RealGM
Posts: 13,675
And1: 24,919
Joined: May 05, 2015
         

Re: Ainge Retires - Stevens to Front Office - Celtics search for New Head Coach 

Post#1951 » by GoCeltics123 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:35 pm

Read on Twitter


This from a Lakers reporter 15 minutes ago. Is Vogel out and Kidd replacing him? Hope so
THIS TEAM IS RUINING MY LIFE





Read on Twitter
User avatar
truth18
RealGM
Posts: 38,476
And1: 42,585
Joined: Apr 17, 2011
Location: FakeGM Discord Server
         

Re: Ainge Retires - Stevens to Front Office - Celtics search for New Head Coach 

Post#1952 » by truth18 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:37 pm

Theocy wrote:I think we all need to chill a bit.


The discord is chill as ****. 40+ deep already. Link if you want it:

https://discord.gg/XPRdNQYf
djFan71 wrote:We suck and can't have intelligent conversations

3D Chess wrote:Legendary drop in from truth lol

Captain_Caveman wrote:Holy ****, this board sucks.
User avatar
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
Posts: 13,847
And1: 34,093
Joined: Nov 05, 2017

Re: Ainge Retires - Stevens to Front Office - Celtics search for New Head Coach 

Post#1953 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:39 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
Read on Twitter


This from a Lakers reporter 15 minutes ago. Is Vogel out and Kidd replacing him? Hope so

Maybe Kidd as Lakers HC. Vogel, Indiana guy and Stevens friend, to Boston?
Tyakack
Veteran
Posts: 2,792
And1: 3,678
Joined: May 14, 2014
   

Re: Ainge Retires - Stevens to Front Office - Celtics search for New Head Coach 

Post#1954 » by Tyakack » Sun Jun 6, 2021 5:02 pm

I only want kidd if it somehow means we get Dame too.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,332
And1: 34,297
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: Ainge Retires - Stevens to Front Office - Celtics search for New Head Coach 

Post#1955 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Jun 6, 2021 5:03 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
Read on Twitter


This from a Lakers reporter 15 minutes ago. Is Vogel out and Kidd replacing him? Hope so


Guarantee Brad Stevens isnt the only one in the NBA burned out after the last 18 months
User avatar
moonie_mcgee
Senior
Posts: 665
And1: 413
Joined: Mar 12, 2021
       

Re: Ainge Retires - Stevens to Front Office - Celtics search for New Head Coach 

Post#1956 » by moonie_mcgee » Sun Jun 6, 2021 5:10 pm

The drama is hilarious.
Stevens is finally out of the locker and off the bench!
Now go get a former player to headcoach, and surround him with solid veteran nba coaches.
And interview Caron Butler!
That's the Way of the World
bucknersrevenge
Head Coach
Posts: 7,235
And1: 8,168
Joined: Jul 05, 2012
Location: Southern Maryland
Contact:
         

Re: Ainge Retires - Stevens to Front Office - Celtics search for New Head Coach 

Post#1957 » by bucknersrevenge » Sun Jun 6, 2021 5:24 pm

nic4747 wrote:
VeryMuchWoke wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Because what **** relevance does skin color or sex have to do with anything. No one here has suggested anyone unqualified for the job. So why is he bringing it up?

Answer: We all know why. Its to imply the people being suggested arent qualified and are being mentioned because theyre black and/or have a vagina. Lets stop pretending he wasnt doing what we all know he was doing.


(Note: all this applies to sexism as well, especially when it comes to the NBA, but I'm going to focus on race for simplicities sake)

I totally agree with you SmartWentCrazy, but I also think banning/suspending/censuring people for taking a "colorblind" type of stance may not be the best way to bring people over to our side, which is ultimately important for improving the society we all share.

A lot of decent non-racist people have been sold on the "colorblind" stance because in a vacuum, without understanding the systemic effects of racism, it sounds very reasonable. Maybe this isn't the place for it, but I'd rather at least try to educate these people and find some common ground to rehabilitate them - so long as they aren't overtly racist/sexist or otherwise bigoted. This is not meant to criticize how mods are handling the issue, but only to offer my perspective as a member of the community.

The way I look at it, racism works against black people at every level. On average, they get fewer opportunities and have more obstacles thrown in their way. Hence they "underperform" their white counterparts in terms of accolades/accomplishments/resume. Hence there are a lot of talented black people that are undervalued, and a rational actor in the market would look to exploit this market inefficiency by hiring the black disadvantaged guy with the same resume as the white advantaged guy since the cost will be the same and the black person will be more talented. The first step is putting aside the cognitive bias you likely have against black people so you can recognize when the opportunity is there. So even from a somewhat gross utilitarian perspective, affirmative action is justified. Furthermore, and more importantly, from the social justice perspective mitigating racism is simply the right thing to do.


100% agree with this. The "I'm colorblind" response has been seen as an acceptable response to racial stuff for decades and most people who say it mean well and don't deserve to be lumped in with the actual bigots. And, in a perfect world, skin color wouldn't be a factor. But, we don't live in a perfect world and as I've said previously, the Celtics should hire a black head coach as there are several strategic advantages to doing so.

Side note, I absolutely love the bolded part of your post. Most people come at this from a moral perspective which is all well and good, but there is also a strong argument from a business / logic perspective as well. Kinda similar to how Danny looks for value in the drafts.


Sorry to jump back in on this but this is 100% horse****. Sorry but acting like you don't see color is an excuse and in many ways worse. If you don't see color, you don't see race. If you don't see race, you don't see racism when it smacks you right across the face. You render marginalized people as invisible and impotent by participating in an ethocentric view of the world. Sorry, but the "All lives Matter" crowd will receive no quarter from me, nor should they from you.

Being "pro-equality" is not enough sir. You need to be actively ANTI-racism.
I am the RealGM President of the Tacko Fall fan club. Playa-hater, 31to6, thank you for having my back fam. I still say we haven't seen the last of Tacko.
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 32,375
And1: 35,095
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: Ainge Retires - Stevens to Front Office - Celtics search for New Head Coach 

Post#1958 » by Parliament10 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 5:33 pm

Let's consolidate all this into one Post.:

Who will coach the Celtics in 2021-22?
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2087729
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart

Return to Boston Celtics