ImageImageImage

Danny Ainge Appreciation Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,526

Re: Danny Ainge Appreciation Thread 

Post#141 » by 165bows » Thu May 19, 2022 7:12 pm

soxfan2003 wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:much of Danny's success is fortuitous timing. Lucky that his bff McHale gifted him MVP candidate KG, lucky an inpet Owens couldn't talk his Russian owner, desperate to make a splash, out of the massive haul they gave up for KG and Pierce and that his own owner kept making Danny go back to the table with more and more demands after Danny would have stopped. And then lucky Colangelo is such a horrible G.M. that he a) didn't realize what a fraud Fultz was and that Tatum was the best player from that draft b) gave a division rival a 1st rounder to move up 2 spots when Fultz was going to still be there at #3. He's mostly a bad drafter but good with trades. There's much worse out there but this is an industry rife with buffoons in front offices so it's not saying much tbh.

Exactly. If only NBA teams hired you as their GM instead of those buffoons. After all, you would rather have Lonzo, Bridges, and RJ freaking Barrett over Jaylen Brown so your eye for player evaluation is obviously great.

Thanks for the laugh!

To be fair, Ainge himself may have drafted Lonzo if Lonzo was willing to work out for the Celtics and the Celtics weren't in desperate need of shooting. Celtics had core pieces of Smart/Brown so drafting Lonzo didn't make sense unless the Celtics were willing to move Smart or Brown.

It is really fit and Fultz just being overrated as a PG prospect -- I said it before the draft on this forum -- that made drafting Tatum the logical choice in the absence of a trade.

The skill that Ainge/Zarren/Wyc showed is timing the trade with Philly in such a way to minimize the chances Philly would back out and select Tatum for themselves. If Philly did that, it would have been disastrous but not many people like to admit mistakes and Ainge probably recognized that. Ainge took a calculated gamble there since after Fultz worked out for Philly, even Colangelo himself reportedly was having 2nd thoughts. He had to because no one from Philly denies the workout like Fultz workout in Boston was another disaster and several members of their basketball ops were telling Colangelo to go in another direction (probably Tatum but not guaranteed to be him).

Reportedly, Tatum's first workout with Boston wasn't that good but just not a disaster like Fultz and so if memory serves the Celtics invited him back for a 2nd workout in which he cemented that he was at the top of the Celtics board.

When NBA teams suggest they don't draft for need, they are lying since if its close, need becomes a factor like it probably should.

You know it's funny (like the post above yours) that people kill Danny and say it was luck. Conversely, a point argued about vociferously here was what to do in 2015. There were plenty on both sides of the line of the IT trade - ie, was it a good idea to compete or should they bottom out again. Iirc we were on different sides of that line.

While Ainge might have gotten lucky at times, something I don't often see pointed out in retrospect - that 2015 draft totally freaking sucked. Now that's clear with hindsight.

Maybe it was luck but maybe the FO had an inkling that was the case and decided the benefit to sucking that year just didn't look like a good risk/reward profile.
Fatherpain
Sophomore
And1: 83

Post#142 » by Fatherpain » Sat May 21, 2022 2:19 pm

Super cool seeing Danny Ainge in the Boston crowd for game 7 against the Bucks.

Hopefully he will be at all home games vs the Heat.

Think it would be hilarious if DA trolls Pat Riley if the Celtics prevail and go on to win title 18, lol.

DA's drafts, trades and step aside for Brad Stevens and Ime Udoka set the Celtics up for their current and hopefully future success.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,313

Post#143 » by hugepatsfan » Sat May 21, 2022 2:55 pm

Fatherpain wrote:Super cool seeing Danny Ainge in the Boston crowd for game 7 against the Bucks.

Hopefully he will be at all home games vs the Heat.

Think it would be hilarious if DA trolls Pat Riley if the Celtics prevail and go on to win title 18, lol.

DA's drafts, trades and step aside for Brad Stevens and Ime Udoka set the Celtics up for their current and hopefully future success.

I think it'd be pretty tough for DA to troll anyone if the Celtics win. There's really not a good defense if/when they come back with "yeah they didn't win until they got rid of you holding them back". Fair or not, that's a haymaker in any trolling war lol
stretch
Analyst
And1: 223

Post#144 » by stretch » Sat May 21, 2022 6:20 pm

I always appreciated Danny for reviving the franchise.

He was the best GM in the business. Always bounced back from setbacks better than any Exec, like the 2007 lottery, or Al and Kyrie leaving (in hindsight the Kemba signing was bad, but at that moment he somehow got a 20 ppg guard to keep us relevant)

As many others have pointed out, it got to the point where people didn't want to deal with Danny. The players were upset with some of Danny's comments too. He was always pursuing the best possible deal, and was stingy in negotiations. He did Jaylen wrong with the contract. To this day KG talks about being "sauced" or worked over by Danny.

Contrast that with how Brad managed Marcus, Rob, and Josh. People love dealing with Brad. Brad is willing to pay to get what he wants, and he's not trying to screw the other side over.

Brad is building a "team". A sustainable champion. Brad hired Ime, and traded for Al and Daniel and Derrick. Brad turned this org around. Brad actually helped his coach with his transactions, unlike Danny. Just look at the White and Theis trades.

Danny and Brad were not on the same page about
many moves. They both admitted it last summer.

And clearly ownership saw that Brad was right on
many of those things in hindsight. This is different.
Brad and Ime are on the same page.
stretch
Analyst
And1: 223

Post#145 » by stretch » Sat May 21, 2022 6:23 pm

If we want to keep giving retroactive credit and appreciation: then Red Auerbach deserves credit for this year, because he influenced Wyc and Steve to hire Danny in 2003, and Danny made the trade for the picks that got us the Jays, and Danny hired Brad, who hired Ime

:lol:

Or better yet let’s start an ownership appreciation thread. They are the ones that hired all these people and put them in a position to succeed

I fully appreciate Danny. He built two championship contenders, and the main reason we don’t have two or three titles since 2008 is because of injuries

This year’s success has many parents, but Brad and Ime and their staffs deserve bulk of the credit. They turned it around after Danny left
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,825

Post#146 » by BK_2020 » Sat May 21, 2022 9:08 pm

Yeah but Danny Ainge was at the helm when everyone on this team was drafted. That's why people are giving him retro-credit and not Red Auerbach.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#147 » by 24istheLAW » Sat May 21, 2022 9:21 pm

Given that teams spend decades in the lottery and continue to suck, this streak of first picks is pretty damn impressive.

2018: Robert Williams (28th) - 2nd-team All-Defense
2017: Jayson Tatum (3rd) - 3x All Star, better than both players drafted ahead of him, Team USA
2016: Jaylen Brown (3rd) - All Star, equal to both players drafted ahead of him, Team USA
2015: Terry Rozier (16th) - 20 ppg scorer in the NBA, albeit a tank commander
2014: Marcus Smart (6th) - DPOY, 1st-team All-Defense, Team USA
2013: Kelly Olynyk (13th) - 10-year career as an NBA role player
2012: Jared Sullinger (21st)
2011: JaJuan Johnson (27th)
2010: Avery Bradley (19th) - 1st-team All-Defense, 15-year career
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,638

Post#148 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon May 30, 2022 5:35 am

Read on Twitter
50yrceltsfan
Sophomore
And1: 233

Post#149 » by 50yrceltsfan » Mon May 30, 2022 8:23 pm

stretch wrote:If we want to keep giving retroactive credit and appreciation: then Red Auerbach deserves credit for this year, because he influenced Wyc and Steve to hire Danny in 2003, and Danny made the trade for the picks that got us the Jays, and Danny hired Brad, who hired Ime

Or better yet let’s start an ownership appreciation thread. They are the ones that hired all these people and put them in a position to succeed

I fully appreciate Danny. He built two championship contenders, and the main reason we don’t have two or three titles since 2008 is because of injuries

This year’s success has many parents, but Brad and Ime and their staffs deserve bulk of the credit. They turned it around after Danny left

Ime's a coach, not a team architect. Brad deserves some credit for getting Al back here and for the White trade which wasn't looking too good until this past week. But DA deserves the most credit for this team. He drafted the 3 top players and stuck with them, as well as Rob and Grant Williams. He brought Al here for his 1st stint, and got screwed when Philly illegally tampered. He brought Hayward here, who broke his ankle in his first game. He also got screwed by Kyrie, though in hindsight that was no big loss. He's just a great GM, the best. And that was all on top of the '08 to '10 run.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#150 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Jun 1, 2022 9:03 am

Read on Twitter

Not sure who else is left from this trade but Jays alone taking the Cs to the Finals should end all debate on who won this trade. Technically, Ben Simmons can be traced to the Nets trading KG to the Wolves but he hasn't played a single game for them yet.
bbd24
Starter
And1: 954

Post#151 » by bbd24 » Fri Jun 3, 2022 4:38 pm

50yrceltsfan wrote:
stretch wrote:If we want to keep giving retroactive credit and appreciation: then Red Auerbach deserves credit for this year, because he influenced Wyc and Steve to hire Danny in 2003, and Danny made the trade for the picks that got us the Jays, and Danny hired Brad, who hired Ime

Ime's a coach, not a team architect. Brad deserves some credit for getting Al back here and for the White trade which wasn't looking too good until this past week. But DA deserves the most credit for this team. He drafted the 3 top players and stuck with them, as well as Rob and Grant Williams. He brought Al here for his 1st stint, and got screwed when Philly illegally tampered. He brought Hayward here, who broke his ankle in his first game. He also got screwed by Kyrie, though in hindsight that was no big loss. He's just a great GM, the best. And that was all on top of the '08 to '10 run.

I’d have to agree. He’s the best GM in the business. He deserves some big time credit.

6 of the 8 in the rotation drafted by Ainge. All under 25, right ? Some have been to 3 EC finals ALREADY! That’s darn impressive.

Great roster building by Ainge. Put his 44 in the rafters WYC !
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#152 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:24 pm

Read on Twitter

Haven’t listened to the whole interview yet.
Read on Twitter
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,668

Post#153 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:23 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

The last line kind of confirms Zarren's claim that they seriously considered drafting Jimmy Butler. (Instead, they went for the immortal JaJuan Johnson.)
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
lon3lytoaster
Head Coach
And1: 5,561

Post#154 » by lon3lytoaster » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:49 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

It’s the trades you don’t make. Really cool seeing Danny this direct and honest on what was and wasn’t there trade wise.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#155 » by BostonCouchGM » Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:19 am

lon3lytoaster wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

It’s the trades you don’t make. Really cool seeing Danny this direct and honest on what was and wasn’t there trade wise.

I don't remember Tatum ever being in any serious trade rumors. I DO remember Danny wanted to trade a slew of picks (5) to move up in the 2015 draft to take Justice Winslow but thankfully the Hornets and one other team if I remember correctly, were even dumber and turned Danny down.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#156 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:04 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:
lon3lytoaster wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I don't remember Tatum ever being in any serious trade rumors. I DO remember Danny wanted to trade a slew of picks (5) to move up in the 2015 draft to take Justice Winslow but thankfully the Hornets and one other team if I remember correctly, were even dumber and turned Danny down.

I think Danny meant the picks that turned into Tatum and Brown were on the table for Jimmy Butler. Most likely it was during the 2016 draft. Fans were expecting we’d get Butler in exchange for the 2016 3rd pick ++. Main reason why there were boos when they announced Jaylen as the pick.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#157 » by Wes-J » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:54 pm

Ainge picked the starters (yes Horford counts) and Stevens did the bench.

Maybe one day Stevens will prove his chops with drafting but not anytime soon.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#158 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:14 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
lon3lytoaster wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

He was saying the picks were in those rumors, not actually JT and JB.

And the Hornets trade rumor for Justise has been debunked many times over the year but I guess you count that as Danny’s hubris right?
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Post#159 » by FlatearthZorro » Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:18 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not sure who else is left from this trade but Jays alone taking the Cs to the Finals should end all debate on who won this trade. Technically, Ben Simmons can be traced to the Nets trading KG to the Wolves but he hasn't played a single game for them yet.

Still not as crazy as the Nets getting 4 firsts and 1 pick swap + Bridges for a 35 year old Durant. I think the Suns outdid themselves here.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Post#160 » by FlatearthZorro » Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:24 pm

You can be mad at me, criticize me or whatever, but I still love Danny. The confidence, the charisma, and what he left us with, he drafted: Tatum/Brown/ R. Williams/ G. Williams/ Smart/Pritchard and he initially signed Horfie(which imo helped the trade for Horfie to return to Boston). To sum it up- Danny DRAFTED a starting five in Smart/Brown/Tatum/Williams/Williams that could win around 60 games in the current NBA with a decent supporting cast.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.

Return to Boston Celtics