ImageImageImage

Danny Ainge Appreciation Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

lon3lytoaster
Head Coach
And1: 5,587

Re: Danny Ainge Appreciation Thread 

Post#161 » by lon3lytoaster » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:34 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
lon3lytoaster wrote:
It’s the trades you don’t make. Really cool seeing Danny this direct and honest on what was and wasn’t there trade wise.

I don't remember Tatum ever being in any serious trade rumors. I DO remember Danny wanted to trade a slew of picks (5) to move up in the 2015 draft to take Justice Winslow but thankfully the Hornets and one other team if I remember correctly, were even dumber and turned Danny down.

I think Danny meant the picks that turned into Tatum and Brown were on the table for Jimmy Butler. Most likely it was during the 2016 draft. Fans were expecting we’d get Butler in exchange for the 2016 3rd pick ++. Main reason why there were boos when they announced Jaylen as the pick.

Yes, I remember that draft pretty well. It was a considered quite bad, especially after the Top-2. Some folks wanted Murray, some wanted Bender, others were all on the Kris Dunn band wagon but most were very bullish on trading that pick specifically for Butler, and like you said, booed Jaylen because the pick wasn't traded more than because he was who was drafted.

Good on Danny for not throwing both picks in.

Return to Boston Celtics