ImageImageImage

Who will coach the Celtics in 2021-22?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,836

Re: Who will coach the Celtics in 2021-22? 

Post#21 » by bucknersrevenge » Fri Jun 4, 2021 3:18 pm

sully00 wrote:
Green89 wrote:
sully00 wrote:Going to be surprised if it isn't Jerome Allen. He is a former player, former NCAA HC, and has been Brad's assistant for 6 years and reportedly turned down an interview if not job to stay in Boston for this opportunity. It isn't exciting but it gives continuity as your restructure the FO.

That said there is some talk that guys who are currently coaching in the Playoffs are interested in talking to Boston not sure if these are former HC's that are currently assistants or if they are HC's expecting to be let go or pending FA's.

With how bad our offense has looked, I would prefer it not to be anyone on the current staff that was a part of all that. The league is all offense now and we need someone who can keep up. If he couldn't help with getting Tatum to defeat double team's, than how would he be as HC?

I still think that is a personnel issue more than a system issue. This team's best line up Tatum/Brown/Smart/Walker/RWilliams played 110 mins together this season the starting line up of Tatum/Brown/Theis/Walker/Thompson played 130. The year before Boston had 3 different 5 man units that played more than that together. I felt like they had started to figure it out just when they lost Brown. While I welcome upgrades I actually would like to see this core get to play together healthy and see what it can do.

While the overall results were a disappointment I think the development of Tatum and Brown was pretty fantastic and Allen is credited with a lot of that. They are both really efficient well rounded players.

What concerns me is what happened in ATL at the start of this season. ATL brought in all of these new pieces and a new coach and Pierce is supposed to be a guy who knows what he is doing and it was a **** show. Bad offense and Bad defense and this is with veteran guys.

While Hayward was a big part of who Boston was two years ago that was damn good offensive and defensive team. I think the focus should be to get back to that ball club not try and change up completely what has worked to get Tatum and Brown to the level they are at.

Well, Atlanta had some injury problems. Gallo and Bogdanovic were injured, so Pierce had to play some younger lesser guys (I think we all know how that is). They were 14-20 when he was fired and they got hot after those two returned, no surprise. Pierce had a somewhat mediocre relationship with Trae. I think Pierce got on him a lot about his defense (or lack thereof) and Trae began to get in his feelings about it. That was a team with a lot of young players too. Guys just learning how to play and learning to be accountable. In addition, (and this part is definitely speculation), there was a feeling by some around the league that Pierce's social justice activism off the court was rubbing local people the wrong way. He backed the Atlanta Dream players when they spoke out about Kelly Loeffler and on other issues in the state of Georgia which has been a hotbed of political debate in the last few years. Some believe there may have been a little pressure to finally move on from him after the slow start. Again, I want to state that I can confirm none of this is true but some pundits openly wondered. Stephen A chief among them for example FWIW.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,592

Post#22 » by bisme37 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:35 pm

I'm very wary of Lloyd Pierce because he's had absolutely no success in his previous NBA coaching career. But he's a super nice smart guy and very well spoken and has already weighed in on the Celtics current situation eloquently. I have an inkling that he's going to give such a great interview that the C's will overlook his lack of coaching success and give him the job because they're blown away by him personally.

My preference would be Billups or Cassell, or Kara Lawson if she's interested. Big no to Larananga or any other current assistant.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#23 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:42 pm

The Corey's wrote:Wait until we waste 3 seasons on a former player just because y'all think lethargic Tatum will respond well.

Whoever it is needs to be qualified. That's all I care about. I'm not out here with a **** check list that goes beyond that.

Lethargic Tatum?
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:43 pm

What’s the appeal with Lloyd Pierce? I’m genuinely curious because he was god awful with the Hawks and didn’t get along with Trae at all. I’m not a Trae fan at all but players in this league are close so worry about how that affects JB and JT

Maybe he’d be a good addition as an assistant coach but just the optics of the Hawks taking off after he was canned are pretty bad.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,538

Post#25 » by playa-hater » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:48 pm

I think while everyone is focusing on the HC, rightfully so, I feel like the asts coaches hired may be nearly as important.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:50 pm

playa-hater wrote:I think while everyone is focusing on the HC, rightfully so, I feel like the asts coaches hired may be nearly as important.

I think Lloyd Pierce could be a good assistant. Larranga and Jerome Allen I actually would like for them to retain. Allen is really close with Tatum, Brown, and a handful of former and current players on the Celtics.

I think they really need a former HC or longtime assistant as their lead assistant though. Seems like other top teams
all have that
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#27 » by captain green » Fri Jun 4, 2021 5:06 pm

Kara lawson is my pick everything I heard paints her as a game changer and not just based on her being a female. Then followed by sam casserole then billups.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,592

Post#28 » by bisme37 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 5:12 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:I think while everyone is focusing on the HC, rightfully so, I feel like the asts coaches hired may be nearly as important.

I think Lloyd Pierce could be a good assistant. Larranga and Jerome Allen I actually would like for them to retain. Allen is really close with Tatum, Brown, and a handful of former and current players on the Celtics.

I think they really need a former HC or longtime assistant as their lead assistant though. Seems like other top teams
all have that

Lloyd as an assistant would be dope. He's an impressive guy and someone you want involved with your franchise. Just not sure he's a good head coach.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,874

Post#29 » by Jammer » Fri Jun 4, 2021 6:26 pm

Of the 15 names that Tom Westerholm lists on Boston.com as possibilities, the only 3 that I think are up to the task are:

Kenny Atkinson
Nate McMillan
Lloyd Pierce

Last June when this board conducted a poll I didn't bother to list my first choice of Erik Spoelstra simply because I knew that Miami's heir apparent to Team President Pat Riley was not gettable.

And to steal a line from bisme37, Big No to Larranga or Anyone on the current coaching staff.
FakeScreenName123
RealGM
And1: 5,113

Post#30 » by FakeScreenName123 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 6:36 pm

i'll do it
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#31 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Jun 4, 2021 6:40 pm

I have some secret plays if you need an assistant coach. Most of them revolve around not letting Tristan Thompson touch the ball.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager
And1: 2,991

Post#32 » by CelticFaninLBC » Fri Jun 4, 2021 6:58 pm

sully00 wrote:Going to be surprised if it isn't Jerome Allen. He is a former player, former NCAA HC, and has been Brad's assistant for 6 years and reportedly turned down an interview if not job to stay in Boston for this opportunity. It isn't exciting but it gives continuity as your restructure the FO.

That said there is some talk that guys who are currently coaching in the Playoffs are interested in talking to Boston not sure if these are former HC's that are currently assistants or if they are HC's expecting to be let go or pending FA's.

Agree that Stevens will likely want continuity, especially if Tatum and Brown really like Allen.. The problems this year were too many injuries and a lack ok size.
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager

Post#33 » by CelticFaninLBC » Fri Jun 4, 2021 7:07 pm

Green89 wrote:

With how bad our offense has looked, I would prefer it not to be anyone on the current staff that was a part of all that. The league is all offense now and we need someone who can keep up. If he couldn't help with getting Tatum to defeat double team's, than how would he be as HC?

10th in offensive efficiency and 18th in defensive efficiency tells me improving the defense should take a higher priority.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#34 » by cloverleaf » Fri Jun 4, 2021 8:35 pm

CelticFaninLBC wrote:
Green89 wrote:

10th in offensive efficiency and 18th in defensive efficiency tells me improving the defense should take a higher priority.

But that doesn't tell you the offensive coordinator, if you will, should be promoted to head coach. Plus, if Allen had the juice to get through to the Jays he would have done so by now. Finally, do we really want a convicted felon as the head coach?

The C's already raised eyebrows with their promoting from within, without interviewing anyone else, someone with no direct experience who had just failed as a coach. I doubt they double down with another inside hire--however much Brad and Wyc are both apparently loath to hire anyone they aren't already buddies with. Surely Brad's got a coaching buddy from outside the organization he could go to for this one.
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager

Post#35 » by CelticFaninLBC » Fri Jun 4, 2021 9:12 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
CelticFaninLBC wrote:
Green89 wrote:

But that doesn't tell you the offensive coordinator, if you will, should be promoted to head coach. Plus, if Allen had the juice to get through to the Jays he would have done so by now. Finally, do we really want a convicted felon as the head coach?

The C's already raised eyebrows with their promoting from within, without interviewing anyone else, someone with no direct experience who had just failed as a coach. I doubt they double down with another inside hire--however much Brad and Wyc are both apparently loath to hire anyone they aren't already buddies with. Surely Brad's got a coaching buddy from outside the organization he could go to for this one.

Not following how no one has gotten through to the Jays. They are not the issue.

The top issues seem to be: An insane amount of injuries... Kemba's a bad fit for this team. Rob Williams can't stay healthy and Ainge never replaced Horford. The bench was awful and Ainge was too reliant on rookies and 2nd year players.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,401

Post#36 » by threrf23 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 9:30 pm

bisme37 wrote:I'm very wary of Lloyd Pierce because he's had absolutely no success in his previous NBA coaching career. But he's a super nice smart guy and very well spoken and has already weighed in on the Celtics current situation eloquently. I have an inkling that he's going to give such a great interview that the C's will overlook his lack of coaching success and give him the job because they're blown away by him personally.

You make Lloyd Pierce sound like Brad Stevens minus the success track record as a coach.
1st banana
Starter
And1: 3,031

Post#37 » by 1st banana » Fri Jun 4, 2021 9:34 pm

Really no idea where brad will go with his coaching hire.

Really like Sam Cassell he’s been an assistant for what feels like forever coached a lot of different superstars and personalities while coaching through play style changes.

Wouldn’t mind Chauncey either also thought maybe Stack could be a candidate who I’d like. Also has a good relationship with nesmith.

Wouldn’t be surprised tho If Brad hires the most indianan person they interviewed tho.
Roland2000
Sophomore
And1: 359

Post#38 » by Roland2000 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 9:43 pm

Rajon Rondooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#39 » by Taget » Fri Jun 4, 2021 10:06 pm

Who I want but we probably don't have any interest in: Ettore Messina.
Who I want that we'd actually hire: Chauncey Billups.
Who I think we'll actually hire: Jay Larranaga

Have a feeling we will go with continuity.
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,874

Post#40 » by Jammer » Fri Jun 4, 2021 10:14 pm

Jammer wrote:Of the 15 names that Tom Westerholm lists on Boston.com as possibilities, the only 3 that I think are up to the task are:

Kenny Atkinson
Nate McMillan
Lloyd Pierce

Last June when this board conducted a poll I didn't bother to list my first choice of Erik Spoelstra simply because I knew that Miami's heir apparent to Team President Pat Riley was not gettable.

And to steal a line from bisme37, Big No to Larranga or Anyone on the current coaching staff.

Rajon Rondo might make a great assistant coach and head coach in a few years. He'd be great next to Kenny Atkinson.

Return to Boston Celtics