ImageImageImage

Who will coach the Celtics in 2021-22?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,101

Re: Who will coach the Celtics in 2021-22? 

Post#761 » by RickyDizzle » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:36 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
BleedGreen1989 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Yuck. Rob is a key piece. Agreed Smart needs to go, but likely JB needs to be swapped for another AS and Folks are expecting too much from a 35yo Al.

We're saying trade Kemba, trade Smart, trade Brown, etc. This isn't NBA 2K guys, those would be *massive* changes. Like scorched earth.

Celtics clearly value stability and continuity.

Stability and continuity of the current dysfunction would be a disaster. Massive changes are needed.

We're veering off the topic of coaching here, but was last year really that bad? The 4 and 5 seed were still in play the last couple weeks. COVID had a disproportionate negative effect on us. Didn't everyone think Brooklyn, Milwaukee, and Philly would be better than us? I expected to be the 4 seed... our COVID and injury luck worked against us and we dropped a few extra games. Not really a big deal.

Traded Kemba and making a coaching change is huge. I would rebalance the roster a bit, add some depth, pick someone with upside in the 2nd round and call it an off-season.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#762 » by sully00 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:40 pm

chrisab123 wrote:
Bohemian wrote:
BleedGreen1989 wrote:
If they can beef up the bench, I don't mind this scenario. Worst thing they can do is overreact to a down season and start blwoing things up. Already made one significant move.

A Smart/Fournier/Brown/Tatum/Horford lineup can place in the top-4 of the East for sure and has a lot of balance.

I would do bigger changes. This team needs a change of identity, and that not only comes with the coach. Areas to improve this summer:

1. A pass first PG, or at least that creates offense for others
2. Another PF
3. Improve your bench by adding at least a couple vets.

In order to do that, I believe Smart, Thompson and maybe Timelord will leave. Obviously our current bench needs to go asap. They add nothing. Just try to keep Pritchard and one of Nesmith/Langford and that´s about it. I expect at least seven players from our Playoff roster gone in the next weeks.

That bench needs to be cleared out except Nesmith and Prichard. That might have been a bottom 10 bench in the NBA

The injuries and lack of availability due to covid make this look worse than it was. That and Ainge giving away Theis and Teague at the deadline only to lose all of his pgs and big men for couple of weeks right afterwards.

Your roster really only needs to be 10 deep as far as your rotation and then you want another two guys to be able step in case of injury when you have a top heavy salary situation then your going to need the back end to either be vet min guys or rookie salaries. This roster was a little heavy in young guys but there should be a payoff this year for those guys.

The big issue with this team now is going to be how to handle the PG spot. Do you go with Smart as the starter and go and get a Lou Williams type to come off the bench or do you get a starting PG. Other that we are talking about the 11-15 spots on the rotation.

PG - Smart
SG - J Brown
SF - Tatum
PF - Horford
C - R Williams

PG -Pritchard
SG - Nesmith
SF - Fournier
PF - Thompson
C - M Brown
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#763 » by 31to6 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:43 pm

This Udokah stuff all just a smokescreen to keep people off of James Posey's trail.

Can't wait to see what Coach Posey does building our offense around Vucevic.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#764 » by 31to6 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:52 pm

RickyDizzle wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
BleedGreen1989 wrote:
We're saying trade Kemba, trade Smart, trade Brown, etc. This isn't NBA 2K guys, those would be *massive* changes. Like scorched earth.

Stability and continuity of the current dysfunction would be a disaster. Massive changes are needed.

We're veering off the topic of coaching here, but was last year really that bad? The 4 and 5 seed were still in play the last couple weeks. COVID had a disproportionate negative effect on us. Didn't everyone think Brooklyn, Milwaukee, and Philly would be better than us? I expected to be the 4 seed... our COVID and injury luck worked against us and we dropped a few extra games. Not really a big deal.

Traded Kemba and making a coaching change is huge. I would rebalance the roster a bit, add some depth, pick someone with upside in the 2nd round and call it an off-season.

Agreed -- I mean if Brad can pull a rabbit or two from his hat this summer, great, go for it. But assuming he doesn't, play it conservative for now -- swapping Kemba + Brad for Al + Udoka (or other) could go a long way to fixing what ailed us. See what Smart/Fournier/Jaylen/Jayson/Al-and-Timelord can do -- that might be a really good team next year. Let Pritchard, Nesmith, Langford, Grant, and Moses develop (mayyyybe even Jabari too?). Let the Sixers struggle with their **** and see if the Nets can ever stay healthy. Bucks might be defending champs by next year but I've yet to fear them.

Smart/Fournier/JB/JT/RW
Pritch/Romeo/Nesmith/Grant/Horford
Moses Brown ready to step in *if* Rob Williams ever got hurt (crazy thought, I know)

That lineup looks good to me. Young, but not *too* young -- guys who should be ready to step up. Fournier can replace a lot of what Hayward did for us on offense, and without Kemba and with Al (and with a new coaching voice) our defense *might* take a leap forward again. Al is going to be a great presence in the locker room and has years of experience making things easier for Jaylen and Jayson on the court.

Annual draft-night salary dump: See if we can trade Tristan for a late 1st to take a swing on someone like Roko.

*and then, if this year is an unexpected struggle again, look at bigger changes.
*if ownership says flat out that they won't pay for Fournier this summer and Smart next summer, then do something with Smart this summer, but that would suck and I hope we aren't really "that" sort of franchise (time will tell).
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,308

Post#765 » by Bohemian » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:55 pm

RickyDizzle wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
BleedGreen1989 wrote:

Yes, it was.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#766 » by ParticleMan » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:10 pm

I don't think massive changes are needed at all. Unless you consider staying healthy and not getting covid a massive change.

I am still very happy with the JB/JT core. It's a matter of putting guys that fit around those two. Horford for Kemba is a great start, since Kemba was a main stumbling block. Making a coaching change is another big plus.

Beyond that, I don't think anything HAS to happen. Resigning Fournier, and turning over the bottom 5 guys who don't really play much anyways, we would already be substantially better next year if we just play hard and stay healthy. But there are definitely more improvements to be made, and trading Smart and TT is probably the best way to get there. The offseason is far from over.
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer

Post#767 » by RickyDizzle » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:42 pm

Bohemian wrote:
RickyDizzle wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Yes, it was.

Just curious, did you expect more than the 4th seed and a 2nd round exit? That's what I expected and I think we would've done exactly that without the COVID impact.

I like the Kemba trade, mostly for lineup stability due to the missed games, but even that was a bit reactionary. He used to fit fine with the Jay's.

Mostly though, a new voice on the sidelines can potentially reinvigorate the effort and sense or urgency, which besides health, was our fatal flaw last year.

I wouldn't trade Smart either. He can be a chucker but also was the only guy last year that consistently gave a ___.

We have two young Allstars one of which we had to finish the season without, and now more flexibility. Get the right coach and we are one big opportunistic move from being a contender (KAT, Beal, Steph, Dame, etc.). We are likely to be in the thick of things I'm the east anyway just noy with a realistic championship upside.
Bohemian
Analyst

Post#768 » by Bohemian » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:50 pm

RickyDizzle wrote:
Bohemian wrote:
RickyDizzle wrote:

Yes, it was.

Just curious, did you expect more than the 4th seed and a 2nd round exit? That's what I expected and I think we would've done exactly that without the COVID impact.

I like the Kemba trade, mostly for lineup stability due to the missed games, but even that was a bit reactionary. He used to fit fine with the Jay's.

Mostly though, a new voice on the sidelines can potentially reinvigorate the effort and sense or urgency, which besides health, was our fatal flaw last year.

I wouldn't trade Smart either. He can be a chucker but also was the only guy last year that consistently gave a ___.

We have two young Allstars one of which we had to finish the season without, and now more flexibility. Get the right coach and we are one big opportunistic move from being a contender (KAT, Beal, Steph, Dame, etc.). We are likely to be in the thick of things I'm the east anyway just noy with a realistic championship upside.

The fact that the East is really awful this year shouldn´t prevent us from forgetting our struggles all year. This team has been dysfunctional, with no defensive consistency and with lack of offensive schemes. The team was bad, don´t you remember? You saw the root of all this happening after Kyrie´s departure and the decline of the Stevens era. We had no vets, no leaders, no consistency. This team is just not good enough to be better than a first round exit. The Kemba trade has been excellent but we need many other things to happen to consider this team good.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#769 » by GoCeltics123 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:56 pm

lon3lytoaster wrote:
canman1971 wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:
Per Marc Stein, seems like the job is Udoka's if he wants it

Well, if true, I hope he accepts it. If he didn't that would be pretty damning on the Cs. Whether it's true or not, it was reported today the Cs made an offer early on to "someone" but was turned down.

Can you shoot me the link/source on that one? Curious to hear. I’m surprised they made an offer to someone already in general and can’t really imagine who.

It was in Marc Stein's newsletter, I don't have the link for it sadly if you don't get it through email
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,156

Post#770 » by Hal14 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:08 pm

chrisab123 wrote:
Bohemian wrote:
BleedGreen1989 wrote:
If they can beef up the bench, I don't mind this scenario. Worst thing they can do is overreact to a down season and start blwoing things up. Already made one significant move.

A Smart/Fournier/Brown/Tatum/Horford lineup can place in the top-4 of the East for sure and has a lot of balance.

I would do bigger changes. This team needs a change of identity, and that not only comes with the coach. Areas to improve this summer:

1. A pass first PG, or at least that creates offense for others
2. Another PF
3. Improve your bench by adding at least a couple vets.

In order to do that, I believe Smart, Thompson and maybe Timelord will leave. Obviously our current bench needs to go asap. They add nothing. Just try to keep Pritchard and one of Nesmith/Langford and that´s about it. I expect at least seven players from our Playoff roster gone in the next weeks.

That bench needs to be cleared out except Nesmith and Prichard. That might have been a bottom 10 bench in the NBA

The bench seemed worse because of all the injuries we had, which meant:

a) starters were out which means guys are getting mins off the bench who wouldn't if the starters were healthy and
b) good bench players were out which means bad bench players saw more minutes

With everyone healthy, our bench would have been:

-Fournier (legit averaged over 16 PPG for each of the past 6 years on high efficiency, solid rebounder, solid passer, solid defender in his prime at age 28, would have been easily a top 5 6th man in the league, Clarkson won 6th man of the year..Fournier is just as good as Clarkson, maybe better)
-Thompson (top 10 in rebounding %, good defender, brings toughness and physicality to an otherwise soft team)
-Pritchard (good maturity and toughness for a rookie, good shooter)
-Nesmith (came on really strong over the last month of the season with his hustle, effort, flying around the floor, rebounding and hitting shots)
-Langford (3rd best defender on the team, shows good potential on offense with improved shooting, and decent passing and finishes at the tim)
-Parker / Grant Williams (you play the match ups and hot hand here, between the 2 of them you have 2 very solid bench player, not bad at all for 6th guy off the bench. Grant is a glue guy who does the dirty plays hard, doesn't try to do too much, good defender, good rebounder. Parker can come in off the bench and score)
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer

Post#771 » by RickyDizzle » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:39 pm

Bohemian wrote:
RickyDizzle wrote:
Bohemian wrote:
Yes, it was.

The fact that the East is really awful this year shouldn´t prevent us from forgetting our struggles all year. This team has been dysfunctional, with no defensive consistency and with lack of offensive schemes. The team was bad, don´t you remember? You saw the root of all this happening after Kyrie´s departure and the decline of the Stevens era. We had no vets, no leaders, no consistency. This team is just not good enough to be better than a first round exit. The Kemba trade has been excellent but we need many other things to happen to consider this team good.

The team was not very fun to watch, but it really wasn't much worse than I expected to be. We may have to agree to disagree. I like the Kemba trade for future flexibility, but I think the same roster with a full offseason, no COVID, and a revigorated mind state / culture with a strong coaching hire would be a lot better than last years team.

I think most people are letting the results / lasting impression cloud their judgment a bit. Tatum and Jaylen took a leap, but Jaylen ended the year hurt. Rob Williams took a leap, but ended the year hurt. Romeo and Nesmith were hurt/sucked for 2/3 of the year, but finished the season strong when we were already down on the team. I think better health, continued growth, and a new voice are all needed more than a roster overhaul. Though I would try to turn some of the big depth / end of the roster guys into veteran guards/wings.
Bohemian
Analyst

Post#772 » by Bohemian » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:48 pm

We agree to disagree then ;)

I am not talking about a lasting impression: this team was really bad by January.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,443

Post#773 » by Triple7 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:35 pm

RickyDizzle wrote:
Bohemian wrote:
RickyDizzle wrote:

The team was not very fun to watch, but it really wasn't much worse than I expected to be. We may have to agree to disagree. I like the Kemba trade for future flexibility, but I think the same roster with a full offseason, no COVID, and a revigorated mind state / culture with a strong coaching hire would be a lot better than last years team.

I think most people are letting the results / lasting impression cloud their judgment a bit. Tatum and Jaylen took a leap, but Jaylen ended the year hurt. Rob Williams took a leap, but ended the year hurt. Romeo and Nesmith were hurt/sucked for 2/3 of the year, but finished the season strong when we were already down on the team. I think better health, continued growth, and a new voice are all needed more than a roster overhaul. Though I would try to turn some of the big depth / end of the roster guys into veteran guards/wings.

We didn’t expect the team to be better than 4th seed, but we also didn’t expect us to be struggling just to get to the playoffs. We have lost a lot of games which we should have won. A lot of which we have lost because we can’t close out games, amd finish strong. Our defense was poor, our offense was predictable. Mostly isos and 3pt chuckfest. You can’t really blame covid and injuries, as most team had them. Plus some games we lost, we had both the J’s and just totally collapsed in the 4th. We had poor leadership and piss poor body language on some players. There were talks of Stevens losing the locker. Anyways, this team needs a bit of shake up. We have too many wings last year, undersized in every position, bunch of newbies. Trading Kemba is a good start to have a more balanced roster. I can’t wait what’s next.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#774 » by cloverleaf » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:02 pm

RickyDizzle wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
BleedGreen1989 wrote:

DId you see how they played? How they didn't listen to Stevens? How they recklessly kept getting Covid? How the Jays were practically rolling their eyes when Smart tried to address the group midgame? How little the Jays interact in play or otherwise on the court? How little they make each other, let alone the rest of the team better? How poor their defensive play was the vast majority of the year? How selfish and dysfunctional their offensive play? How petulant the best players on the team were in response to media and fan criticism? Have you not since seen the reports of Kemba clashing with Stevens and wanting out? Read the reports of friction on the team with Smart and with Stevens? Of Kemba not having rehabbed before the bubble? How though Wyc essentially fired Brad the coach, he just bumped Stevens upstairs rather than eat his unwisely extended contract--despite knowing how fed up with him the Jays, etc., were? Did you not notice their postseason implosion last year? Their total implosion the year before?

Do you really think the Jays are gonna hang around for years more of this?
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,682

Post#775 » by Matches Malone » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:48 pm

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Almeida
Senior
And1: 753

Post#776 » by Almeida » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:48 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,549

Post#777 » by playa-hater » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:00 pm

While not my 1st choice still a good choice and I am happy to moving forward
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS

Return to Boston Celtics