ImageImageImage

Trade Brown for who Poll?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Trade Brown for :

Bradley Beal
14%
Dame Lillard
23%
A Sabonis
5%
K.A.T
14%
Donovan Mitchell
8%
No keep Brown
33%
*Other - explain
4%

Total votes: 242

Theocy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,428

Re: Trade Brown for who Poll? 

Post#21 » by Theocy » Sun Jun 6, 2021 12:38 am

Tyakack wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Celtics are looking to add a 3rd star to put alongside Tatum and Brown. They're not looking to trade Brown - he's untouchable.

What duos in the history of the game have won more games together as teammates before either of them turned 25 than Brown and tatum?

2 way wings with size, skill and athleticism are gold in the modern NBA. The rest of the NBA is jealous that the Celtics have 2 of them. Oh and both of them are entering their prime at the same time. And they've got 4 years experience playing together, building up chemistry under their belt. It would be crazy to split them up now and start from scratch.

We have 2 stars now. If we trade Brown for another star, we still have 2 stars and we're no better off than we are now. What we need to do is keep Tatum and Brown, and put together a package including our other assets to try and land a 3rd star. You need 3 stars to win in this league.

Our other assets:

Kemba
Time Lord
Fournier
Nesmith
Langford
Pritchard
Smart
1st round picks over the next 5 years

They may not be looking to trade brown but you're kidding yourself if you think he is untouchable. The only untouchable player on this team is tatum, period.

We're the definition of treadmill team if 1 of our 2 stars goes out for 1 star and there's nobody else coming our way. Unless you manage to get a top 5 player using Brown and we definetly won't. If Kemba doesn't get back to track next year we're in trouble.

Beal and Tatum is a second round exit or best case scenario ECF. nothing more. Beal Tatum and Brown is an ECF to finals with some luck and some growth from our young players.

Kemba is the big factor If he is somewhat serviceable next year he is out by the trade deadline and coupled with some young players and picks we might manage to get another star.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#22 » by Feed Your Head » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:04 am

return2glory wrote:
The Comedian wrote:Man, JB’s trolling game is on a plane above most of our posters.

One thing I notice is you derail a lot of threads. Especially as a mod, not a great look.

You started a no tolerance thread to no racism or sexism. Which was great and makes the threads better among other obvious reasons. But let’s also keep derailing threads at a minimum.

As far a trading Brown, for me it’s either for KAT or Beal. Ideally you want to add two the 2 guys stars and get a 3rd one. And build around that with a lot of touch, hard nosed players.

Throwing that into the post is just as much derailing if not more. Are always welcome to PM me with any concerns. Backseat modding isn’t a great look, either.

I’m very open about my tendency to derail threads, but who really cares as long as the thread stays on track? Lighten up.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,154

Post#23 » by Hal14 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:07 am

Tyakack wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Celtics are looking to add a 3rd star to put alongside Tatum and Brown. They're not looking to trade Brown - he's untouchable.

What duos in the history of the game have won more games together as teammates before either of them turned 25 than Brown and tatum?

2 way wings with size, skill and athleticism are gold in the modern NBA. The rest of the NBA is jealous that the Celtics have 2 of them. Oh and both of them are entering their prime at the same time. And they've got 4 years experience playing together, building up chemistry under their belt. It would be crazy to split them up now and start from scratch.

We have 2 stars now. If we trade Brown for another star, we still have 2 stars and we're no better off than we are now. What we need to do is keep Tatum and Brown, and put together a package including our other assets to try and land a 3rd star. You need 3 stars to win in this league.

Our other assets:

Kemba
Time Lord
Fournier
Nesmith
Langford
Pritchard
Smart

They may not be looking to trade brown but you're kidding yourself if you think he is untouchable. The only untouchable player on this team is tatum, period.

Has a team ever gone from being a non-contender to being a contender by trading a player in his prime who just made the all-star team?

I could be wrong but I don't think it's ever happened in the NBA..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#24 » by Feed Your Head » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:11 am

Hal14 wrote:
Tyakack wrote:

Our other assets:

Kemba
Time Lord
Fournier
Nesmith
Langford
Pritchard
Smart

Has a team ever traded an all-star player in his prime and become a contender as a result?

Nuggets when they traded Melo, Raps when they traded Derozen.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#25 » by GoCeltics123 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:12 am

Hal14 wrote:
Tyakack wrote:

Our other assets:

Kemba
Time Lord
Fournier
Nesmith
Langford
Pritchard
Smart

Has a team ever traded a player in his prime who just made the all-star team and become a contender as a result?

Melo, Kawhi trade, Ed Macauley, etc.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#26 » by Hal14 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:19 am

The Comedian wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Tyakack wrote:

Has a team ever traded an all-star player in his prime and become a contender as a result?

Raptors were 1st place in the eastern conference in 2017-2018 with derozan on the team.

I'm talking about going from being a non-contender to being a contender. You know, like becoming a significantly better team after trading an all-star in his prime.

So the Derozan example doesn't count.

Melo? Nuggets went from 53 win team with melo in 2010 to a 50 win team in 2011 without Melo. Nice try. Nuggets lost in the 1st round in both 2010 and 2011. You say trading Melo made the nuggets contenders? Losing in the 1st round is a contender?
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#27 » by MagicBagley18 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:22 am

How many votes do I get?..... seriously tho dame no question beal yes Mitchell yes, KAT hesitate but yes.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#28 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:28 am

Who knows? It depends on what other teams are willing to do, and what other asses (and liabilites) are included in the trade.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#29 » by Feed Your Head » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:28 am

Hal14 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Has a team ever traded an all-star player in his prime and become a contender as a result?

Raptors were 1st place in the eastern conference in 2017-2018 with derozan on the team.

I'm talking about going from being a non-contender to being a contender. You know, like becoming a significantly better team after trading an all-star in his prime.

Melo? Nuggets went from 53 win team with melo in 2010 to a 50 win team in 2011 without Melo. Nice try. Nuggets lost in the 1st round in both 2010 and 2011. You say trading Melo made the nuggets contenders? Losing in the 1st round is a contender?

You said become a contender, everyone knew the Raptors weren’t a real contender until they got Kawhi. So it does count, despite your weak goalpost changing.

Nuggets went 32-25 that last season until they traded Melo, then went 18-7 after. Then they went 38-28 the strike season season, and 57-25 the next. They weren’t a true contender, but they did get better after.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#30 » by Hal14 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:39 am

The Comedian wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

You said become a contender, everyone knew the Raptors weren’t a real contender until they got Kawhi. So it does count, despite your weak goalpost changing.

Nuggets went 32-25 that last season until they traded Melo, then went 18-7 after. Then they went 38-28 the strike season season, and 57-25 the next.

1) Funny, this is the first I'm hearing that a team can have the best record in the entire conference is not be considered a contender. Even if you count that, that's what, 1 time in the 75 years of the NBA's existence that a team has become a contender from trading a guy who just made all-star team in his prime? Not very good odds IMO. Derozan traded for Kawhi is also a severe outlier trade. A dude who's barely an all-star (Derozan) traded for a top 5 player on the planet (Kawhi). If you think we can trade Brown and get either Luka, Curry, Giannis, Durant or Jokic in return, then you're nuts.

That raptors team was already 1st in the conference in 2017-2018. So yeah, an upgrade from Derozan to Kawhi was enough to get them to the finals (where they were lucky to win the title over an injury depleted warriors team). That's an apples to oranges comparison to the celtics team right now. we're a .500 team, 7th seed in the east. Simply trading Brown for a star who's better than Brown does not make us a contender. Keeping Tatum and brown and surrounding those 2 with a better supporting cast is what makes us a contender. And being realistic, it's likely going to take at least 2-3 years before we get there. But that's ok..

2) Nuggets may have had a slightly better record after trading Melo in 2011 (small 25 game sample size after the trade in 2010-2011), but the bottom line is they did not become a contender. They lost in the 1st round (as 5th seed) in 2011. And they lost in the 1st round (as 6th seed) in 2012.
yeahM8
Starter
And1: 3,682

Post#31 » by yeahM8 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:41 am

Stop
yeahM8
Starter
And1: 3,682

Post#32 » by yeahM8 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:42 am

Also. No.

JB has been the best player on our team on multiple occasions. Tatum JB duo is only getting better.

Trade the trash surrounding them.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#33 » by Feed Your Head » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:45 am

Hal14 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Raptors were 1st place in the eastern conference in 2017-2018 with derozan on the team.

Nuggets went 32-25 that last season until they traded Melo, then went 18-7 after. Then they went 38-28 the strike season season, and 57-25 the next.

1) Funny, this is the first I'm hearing that the team with the best record in the entire conference is not considered a contender. Even if you count that, that's what, 1 time in the 75 years of the NBA's existence that a team has become a contender from trading a guy who just made all-star team in his prime? Not very good odds IMO. Derozan traded for Kawhi s also a severe outlier trade. A dude who's barely an all-star (Derozan) traded for a top 5 player on the planet (Kawhi). If you think we can trade Brown and get either Luka, Curry, Giannis, Durant or Jokic in return, then sure. But obviously there's no way in hell that's happening.

2) Nuggets may have had a slightly better record after trading Melo in 2011 (small 25 game sample size after the trade in 2010-2011), but the bottom line is they did not become a contender. They lost in the 1st round in 2011. And they lost in the 1st round in 2012.

Nuggets weren’t a title contender either way, but did play better after moving him. And the Raptors weren’t a real contender until they got Kawhi. Also, when the Celtics traded Ed McCauley for Bill Russell.

Your point is silly though, because the Celtics aren’t contenders with Jaylen. And there are absolutely players you could realistically trade him for that would make them contenders. Fringe all stars are guys that you can replace, IMO.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#34 » by Feed Your Head » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:52 am

Like I said in the trade thread, id only trade Jaylen as part of a package for a star, or for 2-3 legitimately good players.

I’m open to moving him, but it has to be worth it.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#35 » by Hal14 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:58 am

The Comedian wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

1) Funny, this is the first I'm hearing that the team with the best record in the entire conference is not considered a contender. Even if you count that, that's what, 1 time in the 75 years of the NBA's existence that a team has become a contender from trading a guy who just made all-star team in his prime? Not very good odds IMO. Derozan traded for Kawhi s also a severe outlier trade. A dude who's barely an all-star (Derozan) traded for a top 5 player on the planet (Kawhi). If you think we can trade Brown and get either Luka, Curry, Giannis, Durant or Jokic in return, then sure. But obviously there's no way in hell that's happening.

2) Nuggets may have had a slightly better record after trading Melo in 2011 (small 25 game sample size after the trade in 2010-2011), but the bottom line is they did not become a contender. They lost in the 1st round in 2011. And they lost in the 1st round in 2012.

Nuggets weren’t a title contender either way, but did play better after moving him. And the Raptors weren’t a real contender until they got Kawhi. Also, when the Celtics traded Ed McCauley for Bill Russell.

Your point is silly though, because the Celtics aren’t contenders with Jaylen. And there are absolutely players you could realistically trade him for that would make them contenders. Fringe all stars are guys that you can replace, IMO.

My point is not silly.

We're a .500 team. We have 2 all-stars. You want to go from .500 team to contender, you don't do that by trading 1 of your 2 all-stars. You do it by keeping your 2 all-stars and surrounding them with a better supporting cast.

You throw out there, Derozan, Melo and Mcauley.

2 of those are among the most lopsided trades of all time (derozan for kawhi and mcauley for bill russell, are you kidding me? lol). Yeah, let's try trading Brown for Giannis or Luka and have the Bucks and Mavs GM laugh in our faces. Or we can be realistic - we can hold on to Tatum/Brown and build a better supporting cast around them.

The Melo trade the Nuggets were a 1st round exit with Melo and a 1st round exit after trading him. it did nothing significant to them.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#36 » by Feed Your Head » Sun Jun 6, 2021 2:04 am

Hal14 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
Hal14 wrote:1) Funny, this is the first I'm hearing that the team with the best record in the entire conference is not considered a contender. Even if you count that, that's what, 1 time in the 75 years of the NBA's existence that a team has become a contender from trading a guy who just made all-star team in his prime? Not very good odds IMO. Derozan traded for Kawhi s also a severe outlier trade. A dude who's barely an all-star (Derozan) traded for a top 5 player on the planet (Kawhi). If you think we can trade Brown and get either Luka, Curry, Giannis, Durant or Jokic in return, then sure. But obviously there's no way in hell that's happening.

My point is not silly.

We're a .500 team. We have 2 all-stars. You want to go from .500 team to contender, you don't do that by trading 1 of your 2 all-stars. You do it by keeping your 2 all-stars and surrounding them with a better supporting cast.

You throw out there, Derozan, Melo and Mcauley.

2 of those are among the most lopsided trades of all time (derozan for kawhi and mcauley for bill russell, are you kidding me? lol). Yeah, let's try trading Brown for Giannis or Luka and have the Bucks and Mavs GM laugh in our faces. Or we can be realistic - we can hold on to Tatum/Brown and build a better supporting cast around them.

The Melo trade the Nuggets were a 1st round exit with Melo and a 1st round exit after trading him. it did nothing significant to them.

So you don’t think there’s anyone they could realistically get for Jaylen that would make them a better team?

Many others and myself disagree, just like I’m sure that there plenty who agree with you.
Zeroforwinger
Junior
And1: 414

Post#37 » by Zeroforwinger » Sun Jun 6, 2021 2:13 am

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:Brown for Horford.

Hear me out. You move Nesmith to the starting lineup, resign Fournier, and have Horford as the backup because Williams can't stay healthy.

Walker
Smart
Nesmith
Fournier
TT

Horford
PP
Langford
Williams

That's a solid rotation.

Congrats. This is the worst thing I’ve seen this week.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#38 » by themoneyteam2 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 2:14 am

Nobody
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,696

Post#39 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Sun Jun 6, 2021 2:37 am

Zeroforwinger wrote:

Hear me out. You move Nesmith to the starting lineup, resign Fournier, and have Horford as the backup because Williams can't stay healthy.

Walker
Smart
Nesmith
Fournier
TT

Horford
PP
Langford
Williams

That's a solid rotation.

People don't understand the importance of ball movement which is something you don't get with Brown. Horford knows the system and would be a solid anchor.
*Insert witty signature here.*
GreenBloodedC
RealGM
And1: 14,436

Post#40 » by GreenBloodedC » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:19 am

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
Zeroforwinger wrote:

Walker
Smart
Nesmith
Fournier
TT

Horford
PP
Langford
Williams

That's a solid rotation.

People don't understand the importance of ball movement which is something you don't get with Brown. Horford knows the system and would be a solid anchor.

You forgot about IT, JB. Bring IT back and we're all set.

Return to Boston Celtics