ImageImageImage

Trade Brown for who Poll?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Trade Brown for :

Bradley Beal
14%
Dame Lillard
23%
A Sabonis
5%
K.A.T
14%
Donovan Mitchell
8%
No keep Brown
33%
*Other - explain
4%

Total votes: 242

ICeeYou
Junior
And1: 315

Re: Trade Brown for who Poll? 

Post#461 » by ICeeYou » Thu Jul 1, 2021 5:55 pm

djFan71 wrote:
ICeeYou wrote:I just think there are a lot of people making a story out of nothing at least as far as this off-season is concerned.

It's kinda what we do here, lol. :)

Lol fair point
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#462 » by cloverleaf » Thu Jul 1, 2021 6:07 pm

djFan71 wrote:
ICeeYou wrote:I just think there are a lot of people making a story out of nothing at least as far as this off-season is concerned.

It's kinda what we do here, lol. :)

During the season too.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,161

Post#463 » by Hal14 » Thu Jul 1, 2021 7:17 pm

The Comedian wrote:Dame has talked to other superstars about a possible team up, if he doesn’t ask out now, it will be next summer.

It’s a matter of when, not if.

Maybe, maybe not. It's far from the certainty you're making it out to be. There's nothing real/concrete/substantial that supports that viewpoint. You're grasping at straws..

What we do know for sure is there has been more evidence of Lillard staying in Portland than there is evidence of him leaving.

Mostly the only thing we hear about him leaving is just some hearsay/rumors being drum up by media sites desperate for clicks and page views. Like this one:

https://fadeawayworld.net/nba-trade-rumors/nba-rumors-5-best-trade-packages-for-damian-lillard

2 things to take away from that article:

1) The article is saying that of the 5 teams, we have the worst trade package to offer up for Lillard, making a trade to BOS highly unlikely

2) Look at the package they have us offering up for him. Brown, Smart, Time Lord, Nesmith and two 1st round picks. Are you kidding me? That's crazy to give up that much for a 31 year old ball dominant PG who is below average defensively on a massive contract.....and that is the worst of the 5 trade packages listed in the article!
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#464 » by Feed Your Head » Thu Jul 1, 2021 7:47 pm

Hal14 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:Dame has talked to other superstars about a possible team up, if he doesn’t ask out now, it will be next summer.

Maybe, maybe not. It's far from the certainty you're making it out to be. There's nothing real/concrete/substantial that supports that viewpoint. You're grasping at straws..

Wrong. It’s 100% a matter of when. Not even related to trading precious binkies, because I think he ends up in GS.

Grasping as straws is preferring to keep a good player over an elite one, due to blind homerism. And one who will be the better for the next three years. Which I promise you, the next three years are all that matters.

There’s a reason those packages have teams giving up so much for Lillard, he’d be a franchise altering get. I’d guess if we were to trade for him, it would be closer to Jaylen/Rob/Romeo/multiple firsts though, not that one listed above.

It doesn’t matter though, Beal will be forcing his way here sooner than later, and for a Jaylen less package. Which I think everyone can agree is a win.
ICeeYou
Junior

Post#465 » by ICeeYou » Thu Jul 1, 2021 8:03 pm

The Comedian wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Wrong. It’s 100% a matter of when. Not even related to trading precious binkies, because I think he ends up in GS.

Grasping as straws is preferring to keep a good player over an elite one, due to blind homerism. And one who will be the better for the next three years. Which I promise you, the next three years are all that matters.

There’s a reason those packages have teams giving up so much for Lillard, he’d be a franchise altering get. I’d guess if we were to trade for him, it would be closer to Jaylen/Rob/Romeo/multiple firsts though, not that one listed above.

It doesn’t matter though, Beal will be forcing his way here sooner than later, and for a Jaylen less package. Which I think everyone can agree is a win.

Misguided reading of the landscape this.

What matters is not the next three years, what matters is how the next three years set you up for the next 3 years.

Sellout (like the deal you’re suggesting for Lillard here) and you’re likely losing Tatum because the cupboard will be barren heading into his walk year.

Not sure why there is an automatic assumption that Lillard won’t be well into his decline in 3 years.

Chances are just based on modest decline for Dame and modest improvement for Jaylen, that in 3 years they will have pulled about even.

Not all guards age like Steph Curry or CP3, both of which have had some health issues along the way.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#466 » by Feed Your Head » Thu Jul 1, 2021 8:05 pm

ICeeYou wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

What matters is not the next three years, what matters is how the next three years set you up for the next 3 years.

Sellout (like the deal you’re suggesting for Lillard here) and you’re likely losing Tatum because the cupboard will be barren heading into his walk year.

Not sure why there is an automatic assumption that Lillard won’t be well into his decline in 3 years.

Chances are just based on modest decline for Dame and modest improvement for Jaylen, that in 3 years they will have pulled about even.

Not all guards age like Steph Curry or CP3, both of which have had some health issues along the way.

If this team isn’t at least contending for a championship in three years, Tatum is gone. Don’t believe me if you’d like, but it’s the case. Then we’re left with a number #3 masquerading as a lead guy. So at least we’d be picking in the top 5, which is a plus I guess.

I’m not saying they will trade Jaylen for Lillard, because it’s unlikely. I’m saying they WOULD, but it’s not going to happen. This organization is entirely on the get Beal train, whether by him depressing his value, or in a S&T next summer.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#467 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Jul 1, 2021 8:10 pm

The Comedian wrote:
ICeeYou wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

If this team isn’t at least contending for a championship in three years, Tatum is gone. Don’t believe me if you’d like, but it’s the case. Then we’re left with a number #3 masquerading as a lead guy. So at least we’d be picking in the top 5, which is a plus I guess.

I’m not saying they will trade Jaylen for Lillard, because it’s unlikely. I’m saying they WOULD, but it’s not going to happen. This organization is entirely on the get Beal train, whether by him depressing his value, or in a S&T next summer.

This isn’t even taking into account that Jaylen might want to play for the Hawks, and could be gone before Tatum’s contract is up. Oops.
ICeeYou
Junior

Post#468 » by ICeeYou » Thu Jul 1, 2021 8:14 pm

The Comedian wrote:
ICeeYou wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

I’m not saying they will trade Jaylen for Lillard, because it’s unlikely. I’m saying the WOULD, but it’s not going to happen. This organization is entirely on the get Beal train, whether by him depressing his value, or in a S&T next summer.

If they are prepared to contend beyond the next three years, Tatum is far more likely to stay.

If they are fading contenders with a 34 year old Lillard, zero depth, and no cap flexibility in 3 years it won’t matter that they won in year 1-2.

Basically, you can’t sell out for a 3 year run right as you head into Tatum’s walk year. Not saying a trade for Lillard would represent a 3 year and done window, but it’s a MAJOR risk of that strategy.

I’m sure that is far from lost on Brad and Ime, which is why there will be every attempt made to add to the Brown-Tatum duo.

Fully agreed that they are very much looking at Beal rather than Lillard. That just makes a ton more sense. 4 years younger than Lillard and a comparable passer/playmaker. He’s got better defensive chops as well, though he’s sort of faded in the effort department.

Very interested to see how they handle Fournier. His salary could be very useful as salary match in a Beal deal.
ICeeYou
Junior

Post#469 » by ICeeYou » Thu Jul 1, 2021 8:18 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
ICeeYou wrote:

This isn’t even taking into account that Jaylen might want to play for the Hawks, and could be gone before Tatum’s contract is up. Oops.

With the way the Hawks salary cap is setting up, it’s hard to imagine they will have the money to sign him.

Not exactly ideal, but I think the beauty of keeping Jaylen-Tatum together is that you give yourself some ability to shift directions as you get closer to Tatum’s walk year.

If you can’t build it in year 1-2 with that duo, you can flip Jaylen heading into his walk year and put all your chips into the center of the table in an attempt to convince Tatum to opt-in or extend.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#470 » by Feed Your Head » Thu Jul 1, 2021 8:35 pm

ICeeYou wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

With the way the Hawks salary cap is setting up, it’s hard to imagine they will have the money to sign him.

Not exactly ideal, but I think the beauty of keeping Jaylen-Tatum together is that you give yourself some ability to shift directions as you get closer to Tatum’s walk year.

If you can’t build it in year 1-2 with that duo, you can flip Jaylen heading into his walk year and put all your chips into the center of the table in an attempt to convince Tatum to opt-in or extend.

We may disagree on a bit, but I enjoy having actual thoughtful back and forths with you. Good debates are pretty scarce on here, sadly.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,161

Post#471 » by Hal14 » Thu Jul 1, 2021 8:37 pm

The Comedian wrote:
ICeeYou wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

Stop saying things are fact if they are very clearly opinions.

You say Lillard will be out of Portland by next summer at the latest. That is an opinion, NOT fact.

Lillard is signed through 2025 - that is a fact. There is actual documentation to support this, it's cold hard fact:
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/portland-trail-blazers/damian-lillard-10814/

You saying you think he's going to leave is just rumor, it's gossip, it's opinion.

You say Tatum will be gone during the summer of 2024 if we're not championship contenders by then. That is an opinion, NOT fact.

Tatum is signed through 2026 - that is a fact. There is actual documentation to support this, it's cold hard fact:
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/jayson-tatum-23598/

You saying you think he's going to leave is just rumor, it's gossip, it's opinion.

When you say something is a fact when it's really just an opinion, your argument comes across as weak, like you're really reaching - using hyperbole.

You think Tatum will demand a trade if he's not on a championship contender by age 26. Here's a list of guys who did not demand a trade and instead stayed with the team they began their careers with past age 26, despite never playing in an NBA finals by age 26 (apparently you think only teams who make the finals are contenders since tatum has already been to the conference finals twice)

Lillard
Beal
Nowitzki
Stockton
Karl Malone
Gary payton
Reggie Miller
David Robinson
Kemba Walker
Blake Griffin
Paul Pierce
Kevin garnett
Rudy Gobert
Jimmy Butler
David West
Peja Stojakovic
Patrick Ewing
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Post#472 » by ballup » Thu Jul 1, 2021 8:38 pm

cloverleaf wrote:Brown has improved significantly over the last few years, for which he gets full credit.

But the game is still fast for him mentally, his handle is still limited, and of course he was a #3 pick in the draft, so expectations were high for him all along. (Just not as high as those for JT--as they still reasonably are not.)

I disagree on multiple points here. Jaylen wouldn't be a 25 ppg scorer if the game was too fast for him. He also worked on his defensive awareness last season as he had his head on a swivel (not good at deciding when to rotate over). Now if you said he had tunnel visions at times, I wouldn't disagree. That comes as a result of an unreliable offensive team outside of a select couple of individual teammates.

His handle is fine. He attacks the rim enough and converts at a good rate. Not every player needs to be the point. That doesn't mean he shouldn't seek to improve it.

Setting expectations solely on draft position is lazy. Setting expectations based on the actual scouting report is realistic. People slated him as the 8th pick. Regardless, his progression is impressive no matter how you cut it. Many thought Jaylen would only be a fringe all star, making only a couple in his career. He's 24 and made his first one while he was heavily considered last season.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
ICeeYou
Junior

Post#473 » by ICeeYou » Thu Jul 1, 2021 8:39 pm

The Comedian wrote:
ICeeYou wrote:

We may disagree on a bit, but I enjoy having actual thoughtful back and forths with you. Good debates are pretty scarce on here, sadly.

It’s hard to find good debates on sports for sure. I have lurked this board for a while and Celticsblog. They seem to have a couple good posters but don’t really love the format.

It’s been nice to jump in and partake of some good Celtics discussion. Definitely appreciate the back and forth. Cheers!
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#474 » by Feed Your Head » Thu Jul 1, 2021 8:43 pm

Hal14 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
ICeeYou wrote:

Stop saying things are fact if they are very clearly opinions.

You say Lillard will be out of Portland by next summer at the latest. That is an opinion, NOT fact.

Lillard is signed through 2025 - that is a fact. There is actual documentation to support this, it's cold hard fact:
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/portland-trail-blazers/damian-lillard-10814/

You say Tatum will be gone during the summer of 2024 if we're not championship contenders by then. That is an opinion, NOT fact.

Tatum is signed through 2026 - that is a fact. There is actual documentation to support this, it's cold hard fact:
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/jayson-tatum-23598/

When you say something is a fact when it's really just an opinion, your argument comes across as weak, like you're really reaching - using hyperbole.

You think Tatum will demand a trade if he's not on a championship contender by age 26. Here's a list of guys who did not demand a trade and instead stayed with the team they began their careers with past age 26, despite never playing in an NBA finals by age 26 (apparently you think only teams who make the finals are contenders since tatum has already been to the conference finals twice)

Lillard
Beal
Nowitzki
Stockton
Karl Malone
Gary payton
Reggie Miller
David Robinson
Kemba Walker
Blake Griffin
Paul Pierce
Kevin garnett
Rudy Gobert
Jimmy Butler
David West
Peja Stojakovic
Patrick Ewing

Telling someone else how to post is pretty lame, but you’ve already been making personal attacks so it’s not too surprising. Keep it to basketball from this point on or you’re getting an extended break from here.

We just see today’s nba extremely different, I don’t think you have a good read on it, which is why most of the players you named are from a generation ago lol. That’s fine though, everyone is welcome to their opinions. I disagree with your posts, but I don’t tell you how to post, or call you “weak”. Do better, last warning.
Diamondman07
Pro Prospect
And1: 266

Post#475 » by Diamondman07 » Fri Jul 2, 2021 12:10 am

If Boston is trading brown, it’s going to need to be a more complex trade than a 1 for 1.

I’d look at getting Kat as my main target.

Kat
Rubio

For

Brown
Thomas
Langford
Salary Filler if needed?
THREE Time Dunn Elementary Paper Air Plane launch champion
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,587

Post#476 » by playa-hater » Fri Jul 2, 2021 12:16 am

Diamondman07 wrote:If Boston is trading brown, it’s going to need to be a more complex trade than a 1 for 1.

I’d look at getting Kat as my main target.

Kat
Rubio

For

Brown
Thomas
Langford
Salary Filler if needed?

Even for an offensively gifted center like KAT, he would be a liability come playoffs defensively. Rather have good wings and keep Brown.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS

Return to Boston Celtics