ImageImageImage

Question on Trade Exceptions

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

CelticsVJ
Ballboy
And1: 7

Question on Trade Exceptions 

Post#1 » by CelticsVJ » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:01 am

Hello all,
I've read a few places saying that we used our trade exception and Jeff Teague to sign Evan Fournier. I thought you can't use or combine a player - Jeff Teague in this case - when using trade exceptions. Is that not correct?
Also, I've read that you can use only one of these in a season - trade exception, mid-level exception or bi-annual exception but didn't we use two of those this past season - using mid-level to sign Tristan Thompson and using trade exception on Fournier?
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,789

Re: Question on Trade Exceptions 

Post#2 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Jun 6, 2021 8:38 pm

Teague and Fournier were separate deals. Teague went to Atlanta, not Orlando. You use a trade exception to bring salary in, not to send it out.
This is really a simple concept. A team has one year to complete a non-simultaneous trade. If it takes back less salary than it sends out, a trade exception is generated. When you add other player(s) you are completing the trade. In a non-simultaneous trade you can only take back 100% of the salary you send out (plus100K) not 125% (if the team is above the cap) or 150% (if the team is below the cap).

Larry Coon's latest FAQ has apparently disappeared from the web. It's a great loss, because he explains all of this stuff so clearly.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,101

Post#3 » by RickyDizzle » Sun Jun 6, 2021 9:12 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Teague and Fournier were separate deals. Teague went to Atlanta, not Orlando. You use a trade exception to bring salary in, not to send it out.
This is really a simple concept. A team has one year to complete a non-simultaneous trade. If it takes back less salary than it sends out, a trade exception is generated. When you add other player(s) you are completing the trade. In a non-simultaneous trade you can only take back 100% of the salary you send out (plus100K) not 125% (if the team is above the cap) or 150% (if the team is below the cap).

Larry Coon's latest FAQ has apparently disappeared from the web. It's a great loss, because he explains all of this stuff so clearly.

Teague played for Atlanta BEFORE Boston (2 stints) and was traded from Boston to Orlando. Orlando waived him and he signed with Milwaukee. I'm not sure if it was technically 2 trades with Orlando or 1.

If it was one trade I think the remaining TPE would increase by Teagues salary, but Im not a cap guy. Wouldnt the portion we used be the difference between Teague and Fourniers salaries?
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,789

Post#4 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:29 am

I forgot that, but Teague was a separate deal. You don't have to salary match with players making the league minimum. And shedding Teague's salary doesn't increase the size of the exception.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit

Return to Boston Celtics