ImageImageImage

Celtics Future (Next 5 years)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Re: Celtics Future (Next 5 years) 

Post#121 » by GoCeltics123 » Thu May 12, 2022 11:00 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:So if they lose in Game 6 or 7:

The Beal conversation is something you'll have only if the Wizards don't offer him the supermax honestly. It's hard to imagine him turning that down. If he's offered anything less he probably walks, so that's when you can seriously discuss it.

The team still has the Fournier TPE, you can probably add a KCP or Clarkson type player with that.

Wyc absolutely must pay the tax next year. Grant Williams extension is a big priority for this team. Idk what you do with Al, he's so **** good but he's old. And this franchise needs to stop going back and forth on one year overachieving, the next underachieving; they need some positive consistency.

They already said they are offering it. It’s only a conversation if he decides to listen to other offers which remains to be seen. It’s been said many times he can make relatively the same money other places in several different ways

The thing is the Hornets did the same thing with Kemba and then they backed out. It's not a crazy thought the Wiz do too, although less likely
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#122 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu May 12, 2022 11:04 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:So if they lose in Game 6 or 7:

The Beal conversation is something you'll have only if the Wizards don't offer him the supermax honestly. It's hard to imagine him turning that down. If he's offered anything less he probably walks, so that's when you can seriously discuss it.

The team still has the Fournier TPE, you can probably add a KCP or Clarkson type player with that.

Wyc absolutely must pay the tax next year. Grant Williams extension is a big priority for this team. Idk what you do with Al, he's so **** good but he's old. And this franchise needs to stop going back and forth on one year overachieving, the next underachieving; they need some positive consistency.

They already said they are offering it. It’s only a conversation if he decides to listen to other offers which remains to be seen. It’s been said many times he can make relatively the same money other places in several different ways

The thing is the Hornets did the same thing with Kemba and then they backed out. It's not a crazy thought the Wiz do too, although less likely

The hornets didn’t talk about offering his max money and building around him as vocally as the wizards did. I’d be pretty surprised at this point if they did that. It’s what they SHOULD do or rather they should have traded him but everything says they are offering him this absolute max.
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,151

Post#123 » by Darthlukey » Thu May 12, 2022 11:19 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:

The hornets didn’t talk about offering his max money and building around him as vocally as the wizards did. I’d be pretty surprised at this point if they did that. It’s what they SHOULD do or rather they should have traded him but everything says they are offering him this absolute max.

Not to mention they traded for zinger, which you don't don't unless it's with the intent of trying to keep beal
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#124 » by 165bows » Fri May 13, 2022 12:05 am

Darthlukey wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:The thing is the Hornets did the same thing with Kemba and then they backed out. It's not a crazy thought the Wiz do too, although less likely

Not to mention they traded for zinger, which you don't don't unless it's with the intent of trying to keep beal

Why not?
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#125 » by Andrew McCeltic » Mon May 16, 2022 5:02 pm

Super max needs to go, or.. make it like a first-year or first two year front-loaded contract - Beal gets like 70 million year one, 60 million year two, 23/23/23 the rest of the way... the long-term calculation for teams is insane.. or at least, a second supermax, or a supermax at age 32 or whatever should be front-loaded...
Brett43
Junior
And1: 167

Post#126 » by Brett43 » Tue May 17, 2022 5:27 am

The C's right now are one of the best teams in the NBA. It's crazy talk to trade Tatum or Smart or Brown.

They paid too much for White to let him go. At guard, Pritchard is better than the minutes he gets. Nesmith is too talented to let go until we see what he can really do and his stock rises. Next season, make room at the end of the bench for Yam Madar.

At Center, the C's are in pretty good shape at the moment. I love Robert Williams, but he's always injured. Horford is an all-star, but he's old. Theis is a great backup. Long term, the C's need a big Al replacement. It's not clear where that comes from. I think Deandre Ayton will cost too much.

At PF, Grant Williams stock is very high right now. Maybe you trade him... but what power forward is going to give you more? Right now he's an incredible bargain and he's only 23. If they can bring back Jae Crowder next year when his contract expires, do that for the vet min.

On that front, everbody loves a winner. If the C's make it to the finals, ring hungry vets may be be lining up to sit at the end of the bench. But they need contributors, not bench warmers with a pedigree.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,857

Post#127 » by BK_2020 » Tue May 17, 2022 12:09 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Super max needs to go, or.. make it like a first-year or first two year front-loaded contract - Beal gets like 70 million year one, 60 million year two, 23/23/23 the rest of the way... the long-term calculation for teams is insane.. or at least, a second supermax, or a supermax at age 32 or whatever should be front-loaded...

Backloading contracts are team-friendly because the team benefits from time value of money both in real economy and in NBA cap economy. If you frontload a supermax, the team will end up paying like 100% more luxury tax (a pure shot in the dark but I would not be surprised if I underestimated).
JJHondo17
Pro Prospect
And1: 783

Post#128 » by JJHondo17 » Tue May 17, 2022 5:46 pm

We should really be targeting ring chasers next year.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#129 » by ConstableGeneva » Tue May 17, 2022 6:05 pm

JJHondo17 wrote:We should really be targeting ring chasers next year.

Depends if they still have anything left in the tank.

Blake, LMA, Rudy Gay, Millsap, DeAndre Jordan, etc. didn't really help their respective teams in the playoffs.

I wouldn't mind John Wall or Kevin Love if they get bought out. Or bring back Uncle Jeff.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,798

Post#130 » by meatball sub » Tue May 17, 2022 7:22 pm

Love would be good in limited minutes. terrible defender but he rebounds and can shoot
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,179

Post#131 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Tue May 17, 2022 8:32 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:

Blake, LMA, Rudy Gay, Millsap, DeAndre Jordan, etc. didn't really help their respective teams in the playoffs.

I wouldn't mind John Wall or Kevin Love if they get bought out. Or bring back Uncle Jeff.

Considering Stevens' commitment to switchable defenders, I don't think we have to worry about him bringing in old plodding centers like Jordan or half the Nets roster really.

He's probably looking at guys like Batum, Thad Young, Ingles, Jeff Green that offer versatility and still played legit roles for good teams this year. Younger options include Otto Porter, Kyle Anderson, Gary Harris, Taurean Prince, Zach Lavine and TJ Warren but I don't know that they ready to sign for the veteran minimum to chase titles.

I wonder if they would make a legit attempt to sign a Rubio or an Oladipo. Not seamless fits in Udoka's scheme but probably more upside than the other names out there.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#132 » by 165bows » Tue May 17, 2022 10:21 pm

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:

Considering Stevens' commitment to switchable defenders, I don't think we have to worry about him bringing in old plodding centers like Jordan or half the Nets roster really.

He's probably looking at guys like Batum, Thad Young, Ingles, Jeff Green that offer versatility and still played legit roles for good teams this year. Younger options include Otto Porter, Kyle Anderson, Gary Harris, Taurean Prince, Zach Lavine and TJ Warren but I don't know that they ready to sign for the veteran minimum to chase titles.

I wonder if they would make a legit attempt to sign a Rubio or an Oladipo. Not seamless fits in Udoka's scheme but probably more upside than the other names out there.

I posted in the Stevens thread, but worth noting his FA picks have trended more offense heavy. Kanter, Schroder, Richardson (pretty even), Jabari Parker. I think he's got a bit of Ainge's model when they brought in Jordan Crawford for a half season as a pump and dump. I'll assume there is a lot more specifics in that strategy than that and there is something about how they want to see the team play but don't know what they are.

But it does seem like the trend there has continued of 1 year offense oriented guys as FA pick up types. Give them a little run and see if they hit and if not - sayonara.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#133 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu May 19, 2022 5:56 am

165bows wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:Depends if they still have anything left in the tank.

I posted in the Stevens thread, but worth noting his FA picks have trended more offense heavy. Kanter, Schroder, Richardson (pretty even), Jabari Parker. I think he's got a bit of Ainge's model when they brought in Jordan Crawford for a half season as a pump and dump. I'll assume there is a lot more specifics in that strategy than that and there is something about how they want to see the team play but don't know what they are.

But it does seem like the trend there has continued of 1 year offense oriented guys as FA pick up types. Give them a little run and see if they hit and if not - sayonara.

I really liked what I saw from James Johnson on the Nets. He was inexplicably released before the playoffs and really could have helped them. He was their energy glue guy. He played hard and knew where he was supposed to be. He has good size and defensive versatility. He can't shoot but I'm okay with a veteran energy guy like that getting 12 mpg to have around in case of injuries and just as a locker room presence.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,317

Post#134 » by hugepatsfan » Thu May 19, 2022 5:21 pm

Trade idea...

BOS gets: Landry Shamet (into Fournier TPE), 2023 lotto protected 1st
PHX gets: #53

Suns have some luxury tax issues if they want to keep Ayton or S&T him for value. Shedding Shamet's $9.5M this year (and $10.25M next year) helps those calculations a lot. To shed 2 years, $20M for an under performing player I have this as market rate. They're about $20M below the tax now, and an Ayton max would cost about $30.5M. So this gets them within range to duck the tax with probably one more move with an expiring player like Saric.

For BOS, they use this instead of the MLE and gamble on him returning to shooting form. They go a little further into the tax for '22-23 but that's the expectation as there just really isn't a feasible way for them to get back under that wouldn't be a total gut-punch to the team that would likely upset Tatum and Brown. But, they're about $26.7M below the projected tax in '23-24 right now. Add Shamet's $10.25M, an expected Grant Williams extension and draft picks and they'll be slightly over. But Shamet would be cheaper than this to dump at that point as an expiring deal vs the two years he has now. Theis will be expiring as well and movable. Nesmith could be dumped by then or even have his option declined. So if BOS wants to stay in the tax for '23-24 they'd still be in good position to do so, but they also have the flexibility of tradable salary and extra pick if there's a deal they see as worth staying in the tax for.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#135 » by 165bows » Thu May 19, 2022 7:16 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:Trade idea...

Suns have some luxury tax issues if they want to keep Ayton or S&T him for value. Shedding Shamet's $9.5M this year (and $10.25M next year) helps those calculations a lot. To shed 2 years, $20M for an under performing player I have this as market rate. They're about $20M below the tax now, and an Ayton max would cost about $30.5M. So this gets them within range to duck the tax with probably one more move with an expiring player like Saric.

For BOS, they use this instead of the MLE and gamble on him returning to shooting form. They go a little further into the tax for '22-23 but that's the expectation as there just really isn't a feasible way for them to get back under that wouldn't be a total gut-punch to the team that would likely upset Tatum and Brown. But, they're about $26.7M below the projected tax in '23-24 right now. Add Shamet's $10.25M, an expected Grant Williams extension and draft picks and they'll be slightly over. But Shamet would be cheaper than this to dump at that point as an expiring deal vs the two years he has now. Theis will be expiring as well and movable. Nesmith could be dumped by then or even have his option declined. So if BOS wants to stay in the tax for '23-24 they'd still be in good position to do so, but they also have the flexibility of tradable salary and extra pick if there's a deal they see as worth staying in the tax for.

If they are doing a salary dump I'd be tempted in taking Saric on a one year backup big role if it cost nothing to get him.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,317

Post#136 » by hugepatsfan » Thu May 19, 2022 7:40 pm

165bows wrote:

If they are doing a salary dump I'd be tempted in taking Saric on a one year backup big role if it cost nothing to get him.

Saric just had another surgery early this month on the knee he missed the whole season for. He'd be our 5th big which isn't really a spot that would see much time. I just don't see paying luxury tax to take him on as viable for us. And even if they do dump him, since it's half the money you probably wouldn't get as much of an asset attached to him as you would Shamet due to the second year.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#137 » by 165bows » Thu May 19, 2022 7:52 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:
165bows wrote:

Saric just had another surgery early this month on the knee he missed the whole season for. He'd be our 5th big which isn't really a spot that would see much time. I just don't see paying luxury tax to take him on as viable for us. And even if they do dump him, since it's half the money you probably wouldn't get as much of an asset attached to him as you would Shamet due to the second year.

Yeah he'd really only be potentially valuable if they move Theis (or another big). Just not sure how they make any other bigger moves without moving Theis' salary so then they need options to have that role replaced.
SatchSanders
Sophomore
And1: 118

Post#138 » by SatchSanders » Thu May 19, 2022 8:35 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
165bows wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:Considering Stevens' commitment to switchable defenders, I don't think we have to worry about him bringing in old plodding centers like Jordan or half the Nets roster really.

I really liked what I saw from James Johnson on the Nets. He was inexplicably released before the playoffs and really could have helped them. He was their energy glue guy. He played hard and knew where he was supposed to be. He has good size and defensive versatility. He can't shoot but I'm okay with a veteran energy guy like that getting 12 mpg to have around in case of injuries and just as a locker room presence.

Whether or not it's James Johnson specifically, I would like the Celtics to focus on guys who fit into the defense. We saw the other night what a difference it makes when the opponent can isolate a player to hunt. Right now we can go seven deep in players who are pretty switchable across the board: Jays, Smart, RWIII, Al, White, Grant. One priority has to be Al's successor; I don't think Grant's long enough to be that player. Then one more wing like Johnson was in the past. Although the Fournier TPE is probably best-served being used for Al's successor, if we can wring better value out of a cap-strapped team with something like the Shamet move another PP mentioned, then so be it.

The Celtics also have to decide how they view Pritchard and, to a lesser extent, Grant moving forward. I've said before I think Pritchard's highest value to the Celtics is as a trade chip. Before these playoffs I would have said the Celtics are best served extending Grant as a long-term piece. I'm not sure about that anymore--could he be the centerpiece in a move for Wendell Carter, Jr., someone who can succeed Al as RWIII's complementary big? I don't really see why Orlando themselves would make that trade, but perhaps he could garner a pick to send Orlando's way.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#139 » by captain green » Thu May 19, 2022 10:14 pm

How much cap room do we have? I like timelord thies and horford I like brown tatum smart. I like pp can't will if continues improving is solid, that's 8 right there but say we try for David ayton over horford that's a target I'd like. Targets sleeper wings in draft and try for taller two way player in trades
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,944

Post#140 » by Parliament10 » Thu May 19, 2022 11:59 pm

Rotation? - To Open 2022-23:
Starters: Smart - - - Brown - Tatum - Horford - R. Williams
Rotation: Pritchard - White - Nesmith - Grant - Theis
Reserves: Thomas - Stauskas - Hauser - Fitts - Kornet
Two-Ways: Rookie - - - - - - Ryan?

We could use a developing replacement for Horford.
Reserves are expendable. Front 2 Units I think we have to Keep.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum

Return to Boston Celtics