ImageImageImage

Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 3 (Omicron & Delta Variants)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,019

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 3 (Delta Variant) 

Post#181 » by exculpatory » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:08 pm

djFan71 wrote:Idaho is only 40% vaccinated and opposed mask mandates. Now they're over-running WA state hospitals and causing care rationing there.

https://www.newsandguts.com/undervaccinated-idaho-doesnt-have-enough-hospital-beds-for-covid-19-surge-is-that-the-neighboring-states-problem/?fbclid=IwAR3tYphCHkotSwRs3tUP16uaAVy-XlIg5elaK5X4-iexnKiWqsAxoCMavDk

This is one obvious way that one person's "freedom" to not wear masks or get vaccinated hurts everyone - not just them.

As CL eloquently posted yesterday - the unmasked & unvaccinated are perpetuating a global Holocaust.
And I too do not use that horrific word very often.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
celtics543
Analyst
And1: 3,078

Post#182 » by celtics543 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:04 pm

ddb wrote:
exculpatory wrote:
GulagNate wrote:make it make sense

Read on Twitter
?s=20

The Delta variant is dramatically more transmissible.
Vastly more people (especially the unvaccinated) are masking & social distancing much less.

I guess there's a whole lot of genomic sequencing going on behind the scenes because that's the only way to determine if it's "delta variant".

Just going to throw this out there as well. Sept. 7th 2020 was Labor Day, not sure how many places release numbers on holidays. Sept 7th 2021 was the day after Labor Day, when they'd be releasing numbers for the entire weekend.

If we want to move off conspiracy for a second and just go with the fact that a holiday was used vs the day after the holiday weekend when reporting would take place the following year.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,909

Post#183 » by SuperDeluxe » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:21 pm

celtics543 wrote:
ddb wrote:
exculpatory wrote:
The Delta variant is dramatically more transmissible.
Vastly more people (especially the unvaccinated) are masking & social distancing much less.

I guess there's a whole lot of genomic sequencing going on behind the scenes because that's the only way to determine if it's "delta variant".

Just going to throw this out there as well. Sept. 7th 2020 was Labor Day, not sure how many places release numbers on holidays. Sept 7th 2021 was the day after Labor Day, when they'd be releasing numbers for the entire weekend.

If we want to move off conspiracy for a second and just go with the fact that a holiday was used vs the day after the holiday weekend when reporting would take place the following year.

Probably more testing done in 2021 than in 2020. This 'NotKennyRoggers' Twitter user must be cherry-picking the data that better fit in his tinfoil hat, and the "patriots" run with it.
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#184 » by exculpatory » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:16 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:
celtics543 wrote:
ddb wrote:

Just going to throw this out there as well. Sept 6th 2020 was Labor Day, not sure how many places release numbers on holidays. Sept 7th 2021 was the day after Labor Day, when they'd be releasing numbers for the entire weekend.

Probably more testing done in 2021 than in 2020. This 'NotKennyRoggers' Twitter user must be cherry-picking the data that better fit in his tinfoil hat, and the "patriots" run with it.

SD & celtics543:

1. My original response is all that is necessary as an explanation:

“The Delta variant is dramatically more transmissible.
Vastly more people (especially the unvaccinated) are masking & social distancing much much less.”

The vast vast majority of cases in the USA today are Delta-related.
This is incontrovertible fact accepted by just about every freaking legitimate epidemiologist & ID doc in the country.
Genomic sequencing performed in a substantial minority of PCR + patients is all that is necessary (statistically speaking) to draw that conclusion.

2. Read BadThoma’s excellent response at 12:10 PM yesterday. Among other excellent points, he noted that the 300K number in 2021 is willfully fallacious. The true number was 113K.

Nothing else needs to be said.

The Twitter post is pure garbage & does not merit any further response.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#185 » by jmr07019 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:32 pm

cl2117 wrote:
Bad-Thoma wrote:When covid is finally "over" I'm going to clear out my block list and we can all go back happily being dicks about basketball rather than something that actually means anything.

You are a better man than me. I can neither forgive nor forget at this stage those that have contributed to the deaths of so many.

And for reasons that are beyond me. Either willfull ignorance, politics or something else. There is no excuse for this behaviour.

I hope they all eventually experience the suffering that they are inflicting on others by perpetuating this living global nightmare.

Keep telling yourself you're one of the good guys
Show Love Spread Love
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#186 » by ddb » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:58 pm

Going to get political for a moment, even though I try not to with this stuff. Can someone explain to me the science behind why Every single Democrat voted against a mandate to vaccinate those crossing the border? Every single one. Tell me more about the science please.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,019

Post#187 » by Bad-Thoma » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:00 pm

djFan71 wrote:Idaho is only 40% vaccinated and opposed mask mandates. Now they're over-running WA state hospitals and causing care rationing there.

https://www.newsandguts.com/undervaccinated-idaho-doesnt-have-enough-hospital-beds-for-covid-19-surge-is-that-the-neighboring-states-problem/?fbclid=IwAR3tYphCHkotSwRs3tUP16uaAVy-XlIg5elaK5X4-iexnKiWqsAxoCMavDk

This is one obvious way that one person's "freedom" to not wear masks or get vaccinated hurts everyone - not just them.

In a way they are correct, they are "free" to be selfish twats and only worry about what affects them. I'd rather exercise my "freedom" to listen to 100+ years of medical science and do what will be better for society as a whole. I'm healthy and 44 years old, my wife is a little older than me but also in good health and my daughter is 16. I don't act out of a fear of covid (though I do respect the dangers), we have really good gambling odds of being just fine but there are so many people out there who don't have that same level of safety and the only way to protect them is to work as a society to beat covid. The **** up, frustrating part of all of this, the part that makes me respond to our resident knuckleheads in a less than positive fashion, is that we absolutely have the means to knock this down to a reasonable level.
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#188 » by exculpatory » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:25 pm

Bad-Thoma wrote:

In a way they are correct, they are "free" to be selfish twats and only worry about what affects them. I'd rather exercise my "freedom" to listen to 100+ years of medical science and do what will be better for society as a whole. I'm healthy and 44 years old, my wife is a little older than me but also in good health and my daughter is 16. I don't act out of a fear of covid (though I do respect the dangers), we have really good gambling odds of being just fine but there are so many people out there who don't have that same level of safety and the only way to protect them is to work as a society to beat covid. The **** up, frustrating part of all of this, the part that makes me respond to our resident knuckleheads in a less than positive fashion, is that we absolutely have the means to knock this down to a reasonable level.

Good stuff, BT!

Two of our resident dip wads have posted since I last posted earlier this afternoon.

They are permanently blocked & I refuse to view their garbage.

If, after all of the meticulously referenced data posted by myself & the truly outstanding explanations of the common misconceptions of the “willfully ignorant and/or dumb as a **** rock” uninformed “liberty brigade” by CL, Fencer, dj & yourself, they do not get it or refuse to get it, then they are not worthy of my time. I refuse to be sucked into a pissing contest by a bunch of selfish and/or ignorant jack wads (who are propagating a once in a lifetime pandemic).
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#189 » by exculpatory » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:44 pm

Back to vetted, peer reviewed science:

In today’s NEJM - 2 very important publications demonstrating that the booster #3 is going to be very valuable - especially in people >60:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2114255

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2113468

And in the same issue - 2 very important publications demonstrating the long term safety of the mRNA Pfizer vaccine:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2110475

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2110345
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,235

Post#190 » by djFan71 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:59 pm

ddb wrote:Going to get political for a moment, even though I try not to with this stuff. Can someone explain to me the science behind why Every single Democrat voted against a mandate to vaccinate those crossing the border? Every single one. Tell me more about the science please.

I'm curious on the details of this. Do you have a link? I tried searching but couldn't find the specific vote you mention.
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#191 » by exculpatory » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:04 pm

djFan71 wrote:
ddb wrote:Going to get political for a moment, even though I try not to with this stuff. Can someone explain to me the science behind why Every single Democrat voted against a mandate to vaccinate those crossing the border? Every single one. Tell me more about the science please.

I'm curious on the details of this. Do you have a link? I tried searching but couldn't find the specific vote you mention.

If that is true, they should be totally ashamed of themselves - as much as the Governors who are opposing masking & vaccination mandates. Disgraceful. Abhorrent.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,867

Post#192 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:10 pm

exculpatory wrote:Back to vetted, peer reviewed science:

In today’s NEJM - 2 very important publications demonstrating that the booster #3 is going to be very valuable - especially in people >60:

Had my third shot of Moderna last Sunday. I guess the government is now using the chip to track my every move and my body is full of tissue from aborted fetuses. I was hoping for swollen testicles, but no such luck.

By the way, I believe there is a mandate for those who cross the border legally, but not for those who cross illegally. So let's get that straight. If illegal immigrants were being 100% vaccinated, the Republicans would have their panties all in a bunch.

And any illegal immigrant with enough cash can walk into CVS and get the vacccine. They are not being denied the chance to get vaccinated voluntarily.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,235

Post#193 » by djFan71 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:20 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:By the way, I believe there is a mandate for those who cross the border legally, but not for those who cross illegally. So let's get that straight. If illegal immigrants were being 100% vaccinated, the Republicans would have their panties all in a bunch

That's what I found in my searches as well. I just couldn't find anything on the vote on a mandate for illegal immigrants.

And, condolences on your non-swollen testicles.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#194 » by ddb » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:05 am

Why is it that we only needed 30,000 people to determine the efficiency of vaccines before they were approved, but Fauci can't figure out the efficiency of natural immunity when the world had 84 million cases during the same period? Honest question.
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#195 » by exculpatory » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:25 am

Debate Is Over: COVID Vax Doubled Protection for the Previously Infected | MedPage Today

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19vaccine/93940

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/956194
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,909

Post#196 » by Parliament10 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:52 am

djFan71 wrote:

Vote? Come on. This smacks of Fake News.
Unless you can provide some type of Link, ddb???
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#197 » by Parliament10 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:00 am

ddb wrote:Why is it that we only needed 30,000 people to determine the efficiency of vaccines before they were approved, but Fauci can't figure out the efficiency of natural immunity when the world had 84 million cases during the same period? Honest question.

Maybe we should have waited another 5 years or so, before we started Vaccinating, huh?

You know what we would have call this place then, right?

Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#198 » by Parliament10 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:07 am

Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Post#199 » by ballup » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:29 pm

ddb wrote:Why is it that we only needed 30,000 people to determine the efficiency of vaccines before they were approved, but Fauci can't figure out the efficiency of natural immunity when the world had 84 million cases during the same period? Honest question.
Honest question for the scientifically illiterate? Because the logistics of such a study is way out of the scope of one person

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,867

Post#200 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:26 pm

The answer to the first question is easy: a properly randomized and properly conducted study does not require a huge sample size.
The second question depends on what you mean by "natural immunity." If it means reinfection of those who have already had covid (and thus are presumed to have some immunity to further infection) that's probably doable if someone is collecting good data on reinfections. If you mean answering the question, why some people just haven't gotten covid, that's impossible. Too many variables and potential intervening causes.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit

Return to Boston Celtics