ImageImageImage

Official Celtics 2022 Off-Season Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Re: Official Celtics 2021-22 Season Thread, 2nd Edition 

Post#21 » by Half-Full » Fri Nov 5, 2021 10:35 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:When Brad used to play 11 to 13 guys every game, we fans complained he should tighten his rotation so main guys can get some rhythm.

Ime plays 9 guys, fans want the entire roster playing.

:P

For me it more a question of which players are part of the favored 9, as it seems the young guys are missing out on minutes. I would like to see Pritchard, and Nesmith getting more minutes. Romeo too. Ideally I would like to see their minutes in the 15-20 range, unless they just aren't good enough to warrant those minutes. I don't believe that is the case, though.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,872

Post#22 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Nov 6, 2021 3:46 am

Langford and Nesmith have earned more minutes. Pritchard really hasn't, although he's had less of a chance with Schroder playing well.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,826

Post#23 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:18 am

I also want the young guys to play over the vets but I see the reasoning behind the current rotation. (I'm just guessing here. Ime and I haven't had a drink so I've yet to pick his brain.)
• He wants to establish a defensive identity first.
• There's pressure/commitment to win in Boston for a variety of reasons.
• We're not a rebuilding/tanking team. Young guys would just have to wait their turn.
• Easier transition for rookie coach relying on vets who already know schemes/rotations/terminologoies, etc.
• Schroder and/or Richardson could be on the move midseason. Neither have been detrimental so far.
• What's really hurt us has been Tatum's subpar play. Replacing the 7th or 8th guy won't change result much.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 10,959

Post#24 » by Fierce1 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:47 am

It's not because Josh Richardson is not a good player, he's just not a good fit with the Celts.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#25 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Nov 6, 2021 5:08 am

Fierce1 wrote:It's not because Josh Richardson is not a good player, he's just not a good fit with the Celts.

In what sense? Because he's not a known shooter? Career 36% 3-pt shooter who's currently shooting better than Nesmith (and Tatum lol). Can put the ball on the floor, drive closeouts, and dish.

I think it's too early to say he's not a good fit. We do know Ime wants a more motion-oriented team. Richardson was part of and thrived on a Spo-coached team for years who's known for their player and ball movement.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#26 » by Fierce1 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 5:43 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:It's not because Josh Richardson is not a good player, he's just not a good fit with the Celts.

In what sense? Because he's not a known shooter? Career 36% 3-pt shooter who's currently shooting better than Nesmith (and Tatum lol). Can put the ball on the floor, drive closeouts, and dish.

I think it's too early to say he's not a good fit. We do know Ime wants a more motion-oriented team. Richardson was part of and thrived on a Spo-coached team for years who's known for their player and ball movement.

After Miami, he was not impressive at all!

We all saw how average he was when the Celts swept Philly in the bubble.

Dallas dumped him after last season.

Right now Nesmith's shooting % is low because he's not getting regular playing time.
What can Nesmith do with 8.2 minutes per game?

Also, Josh Richardson is a finished product.
Nesmith and Langford will eventually end up better than Josh.

And only reason why Josh is shooting 33.3% from 3pt land is because he made 4 out of 4 against Toronto.

Other than that Toronto game, Josh is just 2-11 from 3pt land, that's 18.2%.

Again, he's not a bad player, he's just not a good fit.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,432

Post#27 » by Triple7 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 7:52 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:

Josh is a fine back up player. The problem is we have too many wings right now, and he takes a lot of development time for nesmith and langford. Plus his percentage may be better than Nesmith right now, but we all know who the better shooter is between the two. I have more confidence in nesmith taking open 3’s than dennis, marcus and Josh conbined. Nesmith just needs consistent minutes to bring back his shot, and not just garbage minutes, being pressured to deliver on limited time. I think Josh still has a place here, but not along side marcus and dennis.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#28 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Nov 6, 2021 8:57 am

Triple7 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:

Josh is a fine back up player. The problem is we have too many wings right now, and he takes a lot of development time for nesmith and langford. Plus his percentage may be better than Nesmith right now, but we all know who the better shooter is between the two. I have more confidence in nesmith taking open 3’s than dennis, marcus and Josh conbined. Nesmith just needs consistent minutes to bring back his shot, and not just garbage minutes, being pressured to deliver on limited time. I think Josh still has a place here, but not along side marcus and dennis.

I think fans are just impatient. Let it play out. It's not been 10 games yet. We don't see what the coaches see in practice. Eventually, the better guy will stand out and win the rotation spot. Besides, Josh isn't long in green imo. But I think he still can't be traded due to the signed extension.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,432

Post#29 » by Triple7 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 9:35 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:In what sense? Because he's not a known shooter? Career 36% 3-pt shooter who's currently shooting better than Nesmith (and Tatum lol). Can put the ball on the floor, drive closeouts, and dish.

I think fans are just impatient. Let it play out. It's not been 10 games yet. We don't see what the coaches see in practice. Eventually, the better guy will stand out and win the rotation spot. Besides, Josh isn't long in green imo. But I think he still can't be traded due to the signed extension.

I just hope Ime does what’s best and play the better players, and not be an old school type coach, that gives vets some preference over the youngsters.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#30 » by Fierce1 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 11:26 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:I think fans are just impatient. Let it play out. It's not been 10 games yet. We don't see what the coaches see in practice. Eventually, the better guy will stand out and win the rotation spot. Besides, Josh isn't long in green imo. But I think he still can't be traded due to the signed extension.

He can be traded because he only signed a 1 year extension.

Celtic players that can't be traded until December are Schroder and Kanter.

Smart and Jabari can't be traded until January.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#31 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Nov 6, 2021 11:34 am

Fierce1 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:I think fans are just impatient. Let it play out. It's not been 10 games yet. We don't see what the coaches see in practice. Eventually, the better guy will stand out and win the rotation spot. Besides, Josh isn't long in green imo. But I think he still can't be traded due to the signed extension.

Richardson can't be traded until January, per spotrac.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/josh-richardson-17868/
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#32 » by Fierce1 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 11:44 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:

Richardson can't be traded until January, per spotrac.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/josh-richardson-17868/

ESPN Trade Machine allows Josh Richardson to be traded.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#33 » by Fierce1 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 11:50 am

According to cap rules, Celts can do an extend and trade with Josh Richardson.

But since the Celts didn't do an extend and trade, now he can't be traded until January.

So the ESPN trade machine is not accurate because you can trade Josh using the ESPN trade machine.

Looks like Nesmith will be stuck on the bench until January.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#34 » by Fierce1 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 1:20 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2021/11/boston-celtics-mailbag-if-aaron-nesmith-plays-more-who-sits-in-ime-udokas-rotation-is-defensive-turnaround-for-real.html

Who sits? Josh Richardson? Somebody needs to sit. Also, splitting up the bigs? — Mark S

I think it’s going to depend on the night. Richardson hasn’t been awful but he hasn’t been worthy of 21.4 minutes per game given his lackluster offense. His defense is supposed to be a strong suit but he hasn’t played that part so far this year.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,997

Post#35 » by 31to6 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 2:39 pm

let's **** MURDER this dead horse

long-term, Romeo and Nesmith are promising
for now, Schroder and Richardson get priority and maybe we'll trade one or both of them (I know 'both' is very unlikely)

I can't remember which year, somewhere between 2010 and 2018:), Ainge said he'd learned a common mistake as a GM was to automatically bring in a 'decent' vet to prop up in front of every young player. He said he learned that sometimes you can just go with the young player, and accelerate their development.

Brad is clearly not of that mindset -- but then again given the complaints about our weak bench for the last several years, neither was a lot of this board.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,531

Post#36 » by playa-hater » Sat Nov 6, 2021 3:15 pm

31to6 wrote:let's **** MURDER this dead horse

long-term, Romeo and Nesmith are promising
for now, Schroder and Richardson get priority and maybe we'll trade one or both of them (I know 'both' is very unlikely)

I can't remember which year, somewhere between 2010 and 2018:), Ainge said he'd learned a common mistake as a GM was to automatically bring in a 'decent' vet to prop up in front of every young player. He said he learned that sometimes you can just go with the young player, and accelerate their development.

Brad is clearly not of that mindset -- but then again given the complaints about our weak bench for the last several years, neither was a lot of this board.

Long term for sure, but I actually think short term Nesmith and Romeo are better. Seems like they can be better shooters now, but even more some, there seems to be a "real" energy level when they both play.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,575

Post#37 » by bisme37 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:06 pm

So I'm thinking the offensive struggles are not about passing as much as they're about shot making.

Read on Twitter
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,939

Post#38 » by Parliament10 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 8:21 pm

Read on Twitter

Happy 40th, Mike Gorman!!!
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,531

Post#39 » by playa-hater » Sun Nov 7, 2021 12:26 am

bisme37 wrote:So I'm thinking the offensive struggles are not about passing as much as they're about shot making.

Read on Twitter

how sick does this make me.. 18 for 65 :o :x for our 2 guards who play the most.. and together..

like a Broken record I say this coach is clueless.. play NON shooters, get bad results..
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#40 » by ParticleMan » Sun Nov 7, 2021 12:49 pm

playa-hater wrote:
bisme37 wrote:So I'm thinking the offensive struggles are not about passing as much as they're about shot making.

Read on Twitter

how sick does this make me.. 18 for 65 :o :x for our 2 guards who play the most.. and together..

like a Broken record I say this coach is clueless.. play NON shooters, get bad results..
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

sure but what are the options?
i'd love to say nesmith but the guy can't throw a beach ball into the ocean right now.
pritchard is scrappy but he gets abused on D every time he's out there, and it's not like he's tearing it up either.

Return to Boston Celtics