ImageImageImage

Is there any plausible scenario in which Schroeder is an important part of the Cs' future?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

SLCceltic
Veteran
And1: 1,618

Re: Is there any plausible scenario in which Schroeder is an important part of the Cs' future? 

Post#21 » by SLCceltic » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:59 pm

playa-hater wrote:To Fencer's question, One possible way is the trading of Smart. Not predicting it will happen or should, but who knows if Boston swings a trade before the deadline and perhaps Smarts is involved.

Using a scenario that might cause it to happen is a serious injury to one of our 2 Bigs. Maybe Smart (decent tradeable contract) for the hypothetical bigger need may happen.

hence a future contract extension.

ya pretty much
its either Schroder OR Smart
Not sure whats going on with my Marcus, he is super streaky and always has a hot streak to counter any bad

bit he has been bad for a calendar year now and I am worried
ROYALGREEN
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,384

Re: Is there any plausible scenario in which Schroeder is an important part of the Cs' future? 

Post#22 » by Jaqua92 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:14 am

Is there anyway he ends up here long term? Not without moving on from Smart. Dennis has clearly demonstrated himself as the superior player, and better offensive fit and passer.

But that doesn't matter. Not under Brad's leadership.

I like Dennis. I'd be happy to pay him, but evidently, the inferior player is astoundingly more important to secure long term.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Jaqua92
RealGM

Post#23 » by Jaqua92 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:16 am

SLCceltic wrote:
playa-hater wrote:To Fencer's question, One possible way is the trading of Smart. Not predicting it will happen or should, but who knows if Boston swings a trade before the deadline and perhaps Smarts is involved.

Using a scenario that might cause it to happen is a serious injury to one of our 2 Bigs. Maybe Smart (decent tradeable contract) for the hypothetical bigger need may happen.

ya pretty much
Not sure whats going on with my Marcus, he is super streaky and always has a hot streak to counter any bad

The issue is that if it's between Smart and Schroeder, it's gonna be Smart. He's basically part of the FO at this point. It's disgusting

scottyno
Junior
And1: 542

Post#24 » by scottyno » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:49 am

SLCceltic wrote:

ya pretty much

No it's not, it's Schroder or Smart, Horford, Williams, and even more. Moving Smart would do almost nothing to give them a better chance at keeping Schroder. Realstically they'd need to get under the salary cap, which is impossible with the current roster.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#25 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:48 pm

Chris Forsberg sees it the same way, but provides some more specific numbers.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/what-dennis-schroders-future-celtics-weighing-bostons-options
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#26 » by GoGreen » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:46 pm

Damn, I didn't realize Dennis was almost 29. Maybe its best to trade him while his value is high. I really don't like giving big money and multiple years to smaller PGs approaching 30. Wonder what we could get for him
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#27 » by ParticleMan » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:21 pm

"There is no way we are resigning Dennis. I mean financially, regardless of whether we want to or whether we get rid of smart. We can't offer more than the MLE, barring a ridiculous overhaul. And there's no way he's taking the MLE, at least not if he keeps producing anywhere like he has in his career.
AKFO
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,734

Post#28 » by AKFO » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:44 pm

So if we traded him it'd have to be to a team that could also afford to sign him in the offseason. And where is that? Detroit? Orlando? Cleveland? Minnesota? Or maybe any team with the full MLE?

If there aren't many plausible options to sign him, then you do have to consider the possibility that coming back to Boston is the best offer atc.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,212

Post#29 » by Parliament10 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:07 pm

AKFO wrote:So if we traded him it'd have to be to a team that could also afford to sign him in the offseason. And where is that? Detroit? Orlando? Cleveland? Minnesota? Or maybe any team with the full MLE?

If there aren't many plausible options to sign him, then you do have to consider the possibility that coming back to Boston is the best offer atc.

We could bring him back at $7M, for another 1-year contract.
Or, the Non-Tax MLE (if we can get that) at about $10M, and for 2 years.

ParticleMan wrote:"There is no way we are resigning Dennis. I mean financially, regardless of whether we want to or whether we get rid of smart. We can't offer more than the MLE, barring a ridiculous overhaul. And there's no way he's taking the MLE, at least not if he keeps producing anywhere like he has in his career.

IDK. Schröder was producing well before. He didn't get picked up by anyone else.
Who has the Cap Space? -- I think that we may have a bit of a leg up.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 10,434

Post#30 » by Fierce1 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:49 am

Something Schroder can do that Smart and Pritchard can't is blow by the defender and end up getting a layup.

That's special.

Very few PGs have that kind of speed and quickness.

If the Celts are winning games and have a shot at another east finals appearance, Schroder should not be traded this season.

But if the Celts are a below .500 team and are only gunning for a play-in slot, might as well get something for Schroder at the trade deadline.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,858

Post#31 » by Jammer » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:43 am

Celtics simply won't be able to offer enough to keep Dennis.

If I am Arn Tellem in Detroit, with 24 Million in cap space in 2022 (assuming no rise in the cap), and considering my young core pieces to be:

Cade Cunningham
Jerami Grant
Saddiq Bey

and I am looking for Free Agent Starters to surround them with, the two players who jump out as the best chances to add to their group are either:

Portland Center Jusuf Nurkic (24M starting salary may not be enough to land him, but fit might influence his decision)
Boston Point Guard Dennis Schroder

Those are the two players I would be deciding between to throw an offer at with 24 Million in cap space. And if 24M is not enough to land Nurkic, then Schroder, I suspect, may be Detroit's most likely "gettable" target this summer (unless their 1rst Round pick delivers a guard they feel can contribute immediately). Detroit's second round pick is Brooklyn's, which will be in the fifties.

And I am not saying that Schroder will get 24M to start. All I am saying is that Detroit has the cap space to "land Schroder."

And if the cap should go up by 2 or 3 million, then that just increases the offer that Detroit could make to Nurkic if they decide to go after him as their primary target in Free Agency.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Post#32 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:47 am

We will probably not have the money, but it's really refreshing how he blows by anybody in front of him. He's having an all-star season so far. I would actually go as far as saying that LAL would've been better with him starting instead of Westbrook.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
timpiker
Senior
And1: 428

Post#33 » by timpiker » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:22 pm

I know it looks bleak, but I hope so.
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,779

Post#34 » by Scoonie » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:32 pm

Schroder shows us what we've been missing from the point guard position these last few years. Elite speed, quickness, and penetration ability. We don't have anybody else on the current roster who have those things.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
Jaqua92
RealGM

Post#35 » by Jaqua92 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:37 am

Scoonie wrote:Schroder shows us what we've been missing from the point guard position these last few years. Elite speed, quickness, and penetration ability. We don't have anybody else on the current roster who have those things.
But we have winning plays.

Who apparently is more important than a much needed point guard.

Theocy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,425

Post#36 » by Theocy » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:34 am

Jaqua92 wrote:
Scoonie wrote:Schroder shows us what we've been missing from the point guard position these last few years. Elite speed, quickness, and penetration ability. We don't have anybody else on the current roster who have those things.
But we have winning plays.

Who apparently is more important than a much needed point guard.

I mean 3 years ago we had kyrie. Kemba was never the player we thought he’d be but that was the reason he was acquired too.

If that kyrie was sane / mentally stable tatum brown and kyrie would be a champ winning trio.

But he decides to go and become a justice warrior so **** it.

Grondo will get a nice contract somewhere. Easily 16m per year and I’m sure someone will be willing to overpay if he keeps it up and we get to playoffs second round. He’s 28 he’s solid in the defensive end and he can hold his own on the offensive end.
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,211

Post#37 » by TheMartian » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:25 am

We need to keep Schroder. This is sad.
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,779

Post#38 » by Scoonie » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:31 pm

If we didn't have Schroder this year, we'd likely have only won 4 or 5 games this year thus far.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 9,990

Post#39 » by Dogen » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:45 pm

I don't know if there is any way to keep him, but he's starting to feel a little "Celtic-y".
Hey you! Can we come together?
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#40 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:14 am

By the way -- while there's no realistic way to keep Schroeder, that doesn't rule out an eventual Horford-like return.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".

Return to Boston Celtics