ImageImageImage

Grant Williams Thread

ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Re: Shout out to Grant Williams 

Post#221 » by ddb » Wed May 4, 2022 3:15 pm

Grant has been outstanding for this team. The sample size is large enough now to where he's officially a good player and not a flash in the pan. Lock him up this summer with an extension.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,533

Post#222 » by playa-hater » Wed May 4, 2022 3:28 pm

Hal14 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:If Grant doesn't get the 50-40-90 mark this season, it is a failure.. just do it!!!

he came about as close as you can possibly come to it.

Worth noting that you look at the other guys who had a 50-40-90 season and most of them aren't so good defensively.

I don't think anyone has ever had a 50-40-90 season and made all defense in the same season. This year Grant came probably as close as anyone ever to having a 50-40-90 season and making all defense.

Larry Bird may have. 2nd all defensive team not first but whatever.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,942

Post#223 » by Parliament10 » Wed May 4, 2022 3:41 pm

Hal14 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:If Grant doesn't get the 50-40-90 mark this season, it is a failure.. just do it!!!

Worth noting that you look at the other guys who had a 50-40-90 season and most of them aren't so good defensively.

I don't think anyone has ever had a 50-40-90 season and made all defense in the same season. This year Grant came probably as close as anyone ever to having a 50-40-90 season and making all defense.

He's doing pretty good in the Playoffs too. 52-55-83.
I mean 55% from 3. That's amazing by itself.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,148

Post#224 » by Hal14 » Wed May 4, 2022 4:01 pm

playa-hater wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Larry Bird may have. 2nd all defensive team not first but whatever.

I checked. Bird's first 50/40/90 season was a few years after his last time on the all defense team.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#225 » by 31to6 » Wed May 4, 2022 4:07 pm

I felt nothing but disappointment when we drafted this guy. Then he started talking and sounded interesting, and started working on his shot and defending and looked interesting, and now --- I don't know what to think. My mind reels trying to come up with a comparison for Grant. Have we had a guy like this? Play-style-wise, the comparison will always be PJ Tucker, and that's fine. But he's trending -- dare I say? -- above that in terms of career arc/impact. Who else was drafted low-first, was a small big, a beautifully versatile defender, a knock-down shooter (or not), and emerged as a starter-level player on a contender?

I mean, and may he rest in peace, Reggie Lewis kind of had that career arc, if not play-style comparison, though Reggie became an All-Star and I don't think(?) Grant will do that. I don't think we should say Rodman since he's one of the most unique stars in the history of the sport. I mean... (and I just physically checked my face to see if I'm wearing green glasses) ... Tony Parker? Did we get that **** lucky with this guy?

Probably not. For that Grant would really need to make something of himself off the dribble, and he's shown some things that could be considered 'signs' of that, but I'm still skeptical. That said, I never thought he'd be a 3pt marksman, so I don't want to say anything's off the table just yet for this 23-year-old. [just checked, Tony Parker made his first of 6 all-star teams at age 23, so I'm probably slandering him a bit -- I welcome other comparisons!]
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#226 » by 31to6 » Wed May 4, 2022 4:12 pm

(I'm sure Sean Grande and Zoya have already tweeted this out a lot but)
as of today, Grant Williams has the highest career playoff 3pt% in NBA history (56%) and it's not even close:
https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/fg3_pct_career_p.html
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#227 » by 165bows » Wed May 4, 2022 4:21 pm

31to6 wrote:I felt nothing but disappointment when we drafted this guy. Then he started talking and sounded interesting, and started working on his shot and defending and looked interesting, and now --- I don't know what to think. My mind reels trying to come up with a comparison for Grant. Have we had a guy like this? Play-style-wise, the comparison will always be PJ Tucker, and that's fine. But he's trending -- dare I say? -- above that in terms of career arc/impact. Who else was drafted low-first, was a small big, a beautifully versatile defender, a knock-down shooter (or not), and emerged as a starter-level player on a contender?

I mean, and may he rest in peace, Reggie Lewis kind of had that career arc, if not play-style comparison, though Reggie became an All-Star and I don't think(?) Grant will do that. I don't think we should say Rodman since he's one of the most unique stars in the history of the sport. I mean... (and I just physically checked my face to see if I'm wearing green glasses) ... Tony Parker? Did we get that **** lucky with this guy?

Probably not. For that Grant would really need to make something of himself off the dribble, and he's shown some things that could be considered 'signs' of that, but I'm still skeptical. That said, I never thought he'd be a 3pt marksman, so I don't want to say anything's off the table just yet for this 23-year-old. [just checked, Tony Parker made his first of 6 all-star teams at age 23, so I'm probably slandering him a bit -- I welcome other comparisons!]

I don't want to get all hot under the collar but he's trending in the "short Robert Horry" direction which is pretty damn exciting.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

Post#228 » by jfs1000d » Wed May 4, 2022 4:41 pm

ddb wrote:Grant has been outstanding for this team. The sample size is large enough now to where he's officially a good player and not a flash in the pan. Lock him up this summer with an extension.

This guy is a high-level player. People been complaining for three years about Matheyse Thybulle. Give me a break. I take Williams any day of the week. He's a terrific role player, bench big an a versatile defender who doesn't make mistakes.

I have no idea why Carsen Edwards' shooting didn't translate. But, another iwn for Ainge. He missed on Nesmith and Langford. That's what hurts. But he hit on Grant and PP.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,942

Post#229 » by Parliament10 » Wed May 4, 2022 5:09 pm

165bows wrote:
31to6 wrote:I felt nothing but disappointment when we drafted this guy. Then he started talking and sounded interesting, and started working on his shot and defending and looked interesting, and now --- I don't know what to think. My mind reels trying to come up with a comparison for Grant. Have we had a guy like this? Play-style-wise, the comparison will always be PJ Tucker, and that's fine. But he's trending -- dare I say? -- above that in terms of career arc/impact. Who else was drafted low-first, was a small big, a beautifully versatile defender, a knock-down shooter (or not), and emerged as a starter-level player on a contender?

I don't want to get all hot under the collar but he's trending in the "short Robert Horry" direction which is pretty damn exciting.

That IS good. Horry -- slipping under the radar -- has 7 rings.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#230 » by ddb » Wed May 4, 2022 5:13 pm

jfs1000d wrote:
ddb wrote:Grant has been outstanding for this team. The sample size is large enough now to where he's officially a good player and not a flash in the pan. Lock him up this summer with an extension.

This guy is a high-level player. People been complaining for three years about Matheyse Thybulle. Give me a break. I take Williams any day of the week. He's a terrific role player, bench big an a versatile defender who doesn't make mistakes.

I have no idea why Carsen Edwards' shooting didn't translate. But, another iwn for Ainge. He missed on Nesmith and Langford. That's what hurts. But he hit on Grant and PP.

Missed on Romeo. Home run on Grant. Payton Pritchard has been a solid pick. I'm willing to give Nesmith 1 more season....Let's see if he can break through in year 3
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#231 » by playa-hater » Wed May 4, 2022 5:18 pm

165bows wrote:

a "short R Horry is reasonable. I will still stick with a higher level PJ Tucker ceiling though.

*One thing Horry was was an incredible clutch shooter. Grant needs more time to see this happen for him.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#232 » by playa-hater » Wed May 4, 2022 5:20 pm

I am still baffled how the "league" still leaves Grant so wide open. Yes I know the fear of Tatum ect.. but still.
PierceFan4ever
RealGM
And1: 38,424

Post#233 » by PierceFan4ever » Wed May 4, 2022 5:30 pm

Where would the Celtics be without grant? He does his role sooo well. The defense, the ability to hit threes, obviously a great teammate. He’s been so huge for the Celtics all season and definitely a reason why the Celtics have improved so much. Contenders would kill to have a player like Grant on their team.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,584

Post#234 » by bisme37 » Wed May 4, 2022 6:11 pm

Dananananananananana BATMAN

hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,317

Post#235 » by hugepatsfan » Wed May 4, 2022 6:13 pm

I've always said his max ceiling is PJ Tucker in terms of the 3&D with some Boris Diaw offensive wrinkles thrown in there. He can attack close outs and make good passes within the offense, which is where I see the Boris Diaw in his game.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#236 » by Feed Your Head » Wed May 4, 2022 6:16 pm

Dudes going to get PAID.
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#237 » by BillessuR6 » Wed May 4, 2022 6:17 pm

He was my binky in the draft and was really excited we got him. Before this season I had him at least as a better offense/worse defense PJ Tucker down the line but did not expect him to be this good this early. He is already much better offensive player than Tucker ever was but defensively he has been the biggest revelation. Never expected him to be so good against guys like Durant and Giannis, the premium players in the NBA.

Now, I am just worried he will command too much money... :lol: What do you guys think would be a fair extension for him in the summer?
jordb2k7
Pro Prospect
And1: 890

Post#238 » by jordb2k7 » Wed May 4, 2022 6:23 pm

jfs1000d wrote:

Not that this is too important but Carsen Edwards wasn't a great shooter in college either. His average was .368 which would be about average/slightly above in the pros. With his size he was going to need to be a 40% shooter to have a consistent job.

Nesmith deserves a little more time but he has to show up next year. He's not going to stay in the league at this rate. His shooting from college to pros concerns me in that it was a small sample size. He needs consistent minutes that aren't easy to get on a team like this, he's gotta earn it. We will see if he does next year. I want him to work out badly.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#239 » by playa-hater » Wed May 4, 2022 6:23 pm

thebirdman wrote:He was my binky in the draft and was really excited we got him. Before this season I had him at least as a better offense/worse defense PJ Tucker down the line but did not expect him to be this good this early. He is already much better offensive player than Tucker ever was but defensively he has been the biggest revelation. Never expected him to be so good against guys like Durant and Giannis, the premium players in the NBA.

Now, I am just worried he will command too much money... :lol: What do you guys think would be a fair extension for him in the summer?

I am hoping other teams don't value him as much as we do. But it only takes on to jack up his price. Flip side is he is not a starter and perhaps we can get him for 4 years at 50 million neighborhood.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#240 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed May 4, 2022 6:27 pm

Would you even trade him for Anthony Davis at this point??!
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Return to Boston Celtics