ImageImageImage

2022 NBA Draft Thread – (June 23rd, 8PM, ESPN)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,140

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#481 » by Hal14 » Fri May 20, 2022 1:18 pm

winsomme2 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
1st banana wrote:Omg he’s been one of my favorites his passing has me totally crushin. There’s no real chance he’ll fall to us though is there?

Looks to be in great shape and a tighter handle in space now too.

Trevion will probably be gone before our pick but there's a chance he'll still be there. He flashed a little bit of 3 pt shooting this past season at Purdue too. And right from Day 1 in the NBA he is arguably the 2nd best passing center in the league outside of Jokic. HIs passing is that good.

By my calculations there are like 60 prospects that probably should be gone by 53.....this draft is loaded with should be first round talent that will be there for us to pick at 53....

Brad definitely going to have a shot at some prospects that will only add to our young core.

It's weird to be this excited about such a low pick, but I really am.

The current player jumping off the screen for me right now is Marcus Sasser. This kid can play.

Agreed that it's a very deep draft, one where we can probably good a high quality player at 53.

Sasser - he's good but he's basically the same thing as Pritchard. Maybe Sasser has the potential to end up being better - or maybe he won't end up being better than Pritchard. But they're both 6'2" guys who can shoot the sh*t out of the ball, smart players who play hard, know how to get their shot off, a little bit of creation ability off the dribble. Ok defense. They're pretty similar IMO.. both better suited for SG than PG, which makes them undersized for their position..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
winsomme2
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#482 » by winsomme2 » Fri May 20, 2022 1:34 pm

Hal14 wrote:
winsomme2 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Trevion will probably be gone before our pick but there's a chance he'll still be there. He flashed a little bit of 3 pt shooting this past season at Purdue too. And right from Day 1 in the NBA he is arguably the 2nd best passing center in the league outside of Jokic. HIs passing is that good.

By my calculations there are like 60 prospects that probably should be gone by 53.....this draft is loaded with should be first round talent that will be there for us to pick at 53....

Brad definitely going to have a shot at some prospects that will only add to our young core.

It's weird to be this excited about such a low pick, but I really am.

The current player jumping off the screen for me right now is Marcus Sasser. This kid can play.

Agreed that it's a very deep draft, one where we can probably good a high quality player at 53.

Sasser - he's good but he's basically the same thing as Pritchard. Maybe Sasser has the potential to end up being better - or maybe he won't end up being better than Pritchard. But they're both 6'2" guys who can shoot the sh*t out of the ball, smart players who play hard, know how to get their shot off, a little bit of creation ability off the dribble. Ok defense. They're pretty similar IMO.. both better suited for SG than PG, which makes them undersized for their position..

I feel similarly about Collin Gillespie....would love him on our team but basically a Pritichard clone.

I think Sasser is longer and thus can attack the basket a little better but definitely a lot of crossover with Pritchard.

I love the talent and confidence though.

He also could rise up the rankings which would push someone else our way.
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,174

Post#483 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Fri May 20, 2022 1:34 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:Among centers, Moussa Diabate has the fastest lane agility time and shuttle run (4th amongst all players), the best max vertical leap (by a full three inches), the second fastest three quarter sprint and second highest standing vertical leap. So he definitely tests out like one of the more mobile bigs in the class.

He also has by far the lowest body fat percentage among all players (historically low in fact), is 6'9.25 without shoes, has a 7'2.5 wingspan and 9'1.5 standing reach and weights 216lbs. I'd say he looks like a pretty switchable small ball center to me.

1st banana wrote:Omg he’s been one of my favorites his passing has me totally crushin. There’s no real chance he’ll fall to us though is there?

Tankathon mock has him going 53rd to the Celtics right now...

Yeah Diabate definitely is an upside guy.

I actually had him as a lottery pick coming into the 2021-2022 season, cause his HS footage (from 2020-2021) was really impressive when you look at the combination of size, length, athleticism, how quick and fluid he moves out there, the ability to shoot, handle the ball, block shots and pass:

Seems like a good chance he'll still be there. Also a chance however that he returns to Michigan for his sophomore season.

Not sure it makes too much sense for a freshman to declare for the draft if he's going to go this late in the draft. Then again maybe he wants to be UDFA so he can choose where he ends up.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,511

Post#484 » by Kalela » Fri May 20, 2022 2:22 pm

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:Among centers, Moussa Diabate has the fastest lane agility time and shuttle run (4th amongst all players), the best max vertical leap (by a full three inches), the second fastest three quarter sprint and second highest standing vertical leap. So he definitely tests out like one of the more mobile bigs in the class.

He also has by far the lowest body fat percentage among all players (historically low in fact), is 6'9.25 without shoes, has a 7'2.5 wingspan and 9'1.5 standing reach and weights 216lbs. I'd say he looks like a pretty switchable small ball center to me.

Tankathon mock has him going 53rd to the Celtics right now...

Just based on his measurements he looks like he would be a good fit for the Celtics.
Fire Mazzulla
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,521

Post#485 » by snowman » Fri May 20, 2022 3:49 pm

Boston really needs to find a Horford replacement for after he becomes our big man coach .....in three years.
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#486 » by Scoonie » Fri May 20, 2022 3:53 pm

snowman wrote:Boston really needs to find a Horford replacement for after he becomes our big man coach .....in three years.

Best to get one now and start developing him right away.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#487 » by Hal14 » Fri May 20, 2022 4:42 pm

Read on Twitter
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#488 » by Scoonie » Fri May 20, 2022 5:08 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Apparently he got COVID the day before the NBA Combine and hasn't been able to participate. Definitely somebody to keep an eye on for next year's draft. Will probably be a 1st-rounder with another year of college.

He's Dale Davis's biological son.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,511

Post#489 » by Kalela » Fri May 20, 2022 7:32 pm

Nembhard with a nice stat line. For the most part. Shot poorly from 3.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Fire Mazzulla
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#490 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat May 21, 2022 12:55 am

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Kenhov
Senior
And1: 268

Post#491 » by Kenhov » Sat May 21, 2022 1:02 am

Diabate is raw but reminds me of Bam Adebayo.

Would be a good project alongside of Robert Williams.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#492 » by Hal14 » Sat May 21, 2022 3:21 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Would not be surprised at all if Grant ends up coaching after retires from playing.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#493 » by Hal14 » Sat May 21, 2022 3:55 am

This guy is growing on me from watching the g league elite camp. He also was one of the few players from g league elite camp who got an invite to the combine:

Dude is really quick. Plays hard, feisty, tenacious. Fights on the boards, Shot 43% from 3 this year. 6'7.5" and a 39" vertical.

Defense I've seen some issues where he sometimes gets beat on back door cuts or dudes can sometimes score on him off the dribble. But the strength, speed and length are there to be a solid defender.

Game 2 from g league elite camp Hunter plays in:

Cool interview with him at 2:45:00. He says how off the court he's quiet but on the court "i'm a dawg" love that.

Then watching the game, they said he has 12 rebounds...with 12:42 left in the 2nd half! That's an insane number of rebounds with that much time left for a wing. He's feisty, tenacious, hustles for those boards!

My guy Tyrese Martin did this to Brad stevens former team, Butler:

Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,174

Post#494 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Sat May 21, 2022 10:46 am

Kalela wrote:Nembhard with a nice stat line. For the most part. Shot poorly from 3.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

He was the only guard on his team though. I wonder how much of his output is just due to jacked up usage. They were spamming him as a pick and roll ball handler.

I didn't really understand Terquavion Smith's decision to sit out the second scrimmage. Did he really blow away teams to the point of getting a promise after 6/17 shooting in the first game ?
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,313

Post#495 » by hugepatsfan » Sat May 21, 2022 11:55 am

The Spurs have 3 firsts, including #20 and #25.

Grizzlies have 2 firsts including #22 and #29.

Thunder have 3 firsts including #30.

If there’s a player Steven’s really wants, there could be some roster spot management incentive for one of those teams to trade a pick later in the draft for our 2023 1st. There’s downside to that of course because you never know, maybe we have injuries and tank. Also means we wouldn’t be able to trade a 1st rounder before 2025 at the deadline next year.

For me, the highest long term need for this team is an Al Horford replacement. PFs who can do what he does are rare. The ability to space the floor, defend the post, switch onto the perimeter and pass the ball is rare. Grant looks like a viable replacement to a degree but height makes him more ideal as a bench player. So if there’s a developmental prospect they really like, worth a considering that type of move IMO.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#496 » by sam_I_am » Sat May 21, 2022 12:30 pm

Hal14 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Would not be surprised at all if Grant ends up coaching after retires from playing.

Coach. TNT or ESPN. GM. Can see it already.
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#497 » by Half-Full » Sat May 21, 2022 3:00 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

I love this quote from the article:

“You have to love how he’s worked on his game, how he’s carved out a big role on a really good team. Yeah, he was a star at Tennessee, but some people had trouble projecting how he’d do in this league. And he’s had his setbacks, but he’s kept working. Look at him in the playoffs, guarding Giannis and hitting big 3s. A lot of the kids here could learn from his example.”
Hal14
RealGM

Post#498 » by Hal14 » Sat May 21, 2022 3:04 pm

Read on Twitter

That brings the (unofficial) list of players we've had in for a workout to:

Keon Ellis - Wing - Alabama
Kevin McCullar Jr - Wing - Texas Tech
Gabe Brown - Wing - Michigan St
Ron Harper Jr - Wing - Rutgers
Lucas Williamson - Wing - Loyola Chicago
Jared Rhoden - Wing - Seton Hall
Julian Champagnie - Wing - St John's
Trevion Williams - C - Purdue
Isaiah Wong - SG - Miami
Michael Foster - PF - G League Ignite
Teddy Allen - Wing - New Mexico St
Peter Kiss - Wing - Bryant

All of them have a realistic chance of still being on the board at pick 53. All of them are juniors or seniors in college - with the exception of Foster, who just turned 19 in January.
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#499 » by Half-Full » Sat May 21, 2022 3:17 pm

Hal14 wrote:This guy is growing on me from watching the g league elite camp. He also was one of the few players from g league elite camp who got an invite to the combine:

Dude is really quick. Plays hard, feisty, tenacious. Fights on the boards, Shot 43% from 3 this year. 6'7.5" and a 39" vertical.

Defense I've seen some issues where he sometimes gets beat on back door cuts or dudes can sometimes score on him off the dribble. But the strength, speed and length are there to be a solid defender.

Game 2 from g league elite camp Hunter plays in:

Cool interview with him at 2:45:00. He says how off the court he's quiet but on the court "i'm a dawg" love that.

Then watching the game, they said he has 12 rebounds...with 12:42 left in the 2nd half! That's an insane number of rebounds with that much time left for a wing. He's feisty, tenacious, hustles for those boards!

One more guy to add to my list. I think what stands out for me is his "dawg" mentality. When one adds that to his basketball skills, you have a player that can make a path for himself through will, and commitment. Granted, that does not always make for a sure thing, but that mentality is what I want on the Celtics.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#500 » by Hal14 » Sat May 21, 2022 6:01 pm

wise words:

Read on Twitter

Return to Boston Celtics