ImageImageImage

2022 NBA Draft Thread – (June 23rd, 8PM, ESPN)

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Theocy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,435

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#101 » by Theocy » Sun Feb 6, 2022 8:21 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:You don't need to waste a first on a rim running big. Kamagate and/or Nzosa should be there in the second round. And Bol Bol is already a Celtic (at least for now).

In the first round, Jovic looks like a very good fit. Very nice three point stroke and he can pass and handle.

Dude Bol has played 50 games in 3 games and averaged what 6 minutes per game? :lol: Bol is a non factor he is getting traded
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,030

Post#102 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Feb 6, 2022 9:31 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:You don't need to waste a first on a rim running big. Kamagate and/or Nzosa should be there in the second round. And Bol Bol is already a Celtic (at least for now).

In the first round, Jovic looks like a very good fit. Very nice three point stroke and he can pass and handle.

I doubt Jovic will be still on the board when you guys draft and I dont think having Bol on the roster is any kind of a factor. But ya I agree with your main point, you dont waste an early or mid 1st on a rim running big.

Bigs like this really shouldn't start being discussed until late 1st at best. I mean just take Robert Williams and his draft for example. Rob went with the 27th overall pick and Mitchell Robinson went early 2nd round. Gafford the next year went in the 2nd round.

I dont think taking a rim running defensive 5 is ever worth wasting a top 20 pick on. Too often you can find really good ones past that point.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 22,001

Post#103 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Feb 7, 2022 3:03 pm

Who knows about Bol Bol? If his bad feet aren't chronic he might turn into something.

There is always some tall international guy available in the second round who is probably as good as most of the big men taken in the first round. Maybe even the next Jokic LOL.

If Jovic is off the board I don't know who I would take, but it wouldn't be Mark Williams. I would seriously consider trading the pick for a 2023 first rounder. That draft will have the real fireworks.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,272

Post#104 » by Hal14 » Mon Feb 7, 2022 3:34 pm

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Interesting sleeper / shooter... might be a reach to take him in the 1st round but absolutely could be a steal in the 2nd round..

How would you rate him compared to Procida who's another shooter that's been getting some draft buzz ?

Good question. I would probably say Procida has the higher upside/ceiling since he's 3" taller while being just as quick, a little bit more athletic and is a year and a half younger. So I'd probably rate Procida as the better long term prospect but since he's a year and a half younger - and also because he has a much skinnier frame he's a little bit more of a project that will need some time to keep working on his game and get stronger physically.

Procida is probably a draft and stash candidate, whereas Bortolani strikes me as someone who is more plug and play, could probably come in and contribute and start knocking down shots from day 1..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,307

Post#105 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Mon Feb 7, 2022 3:36 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:

I doubt Jovic will be still on the board when you guys draft and I dont think having Bol on the roster is any kind of a factor. But ya I agree with your main point, you dont waste an early or mid 1st on a rim running big.

Bigs like this really shouldn't start being discussed until late 1st at best. I mean just take Robert Williams and his draft for example. Rob went with the 27th overall pick and Mitchell Robinson went early 2nd round. Gafford the next year went in the 2nd round.

I dont think taking a rim running defensive 5 is ever worth wasting a top 20 pick on. Too often you can find really good ones past that point.

I agree with the general sentiment. When it comes to defensive centers, I'd rather pay the minimum to McGee or another veteran rim protector than spending a pick and three years on teaching a kid how to defend a pick and roll at the NBA level.

There are always exceptions though. If I remember correctly Adebayo was seen as a rim runner exclusively coming out of college but Miami correctly identified there was more to his game than what he showed at Kentucky. I think that if you take a big early you have to be sure that he can provide some other skills offensively beyond finishing as a roll man. That's why Kamagate is somewhat intriguing. His skill set goes beyond just dunking lobs. Now whether that will translate at the NBA level, that remains to be seen. At least, givenn the fact that rim protectors like Capela and Gobert have transitioned well from the french league to the NBA so there's some optimism that his core skill will still be an asset at the next level.

But yeah it's a lot more palatable picking a guy in his mold 25th than 15th.

Curmudgeon wrote:Who knows about Bol Bol? If his bad feet aren't chronic he might turn into something.

There is always some tall international guy available in the second round who is probably as good as most of the big men taken in the first round. Maybe even the next Jokic LOL.

If Jovic is off the board I don't know who I would take, but it wouldn't be Mark Williams. I would seriously consider trading the pick for a 2023 first rounder. That draft will have the real fireworks.

Rolling the pick over to 2023 makes a ton of sense. It gives additional flexibility in trades with a future first rounder as opposed to a player that the potential trade partner may or may not like plus it makes room to bring Begarin and/or Madar over.
I wouldn't read too much into 2023 being a better draft than 2022. It feels like the draft class after the current one is always better then those guys get to college and get their games picked apart during the draft process and suddenly it doesn't look that great anymore.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#106 » by Hal14 » Mon Feb 7, 2022 3:41 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:

Jovic might be there. Most mock drafts/ big boards i'm seeing he is anywhere in the 11-22 range. Tankathon has him go 16th in this mock, 1 spot before our pick at 17:
https://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

Depending on where we end up picking, if he is still on the board at that point he is absolutely a guy we should at least consider taking.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#107 » by Half-Full » Mon Feb 7, 2022 4:16 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Interesting sleeper / shooter... might be a reach to take him in the 1st round but absolutely could be a steal in the 2nd round..

How would you rate him compared to Procida who's another shooter that's been getting some draft buzz ?

Good question. I would probably say Procida has the higher upside/ceiling since he's 3" taller while being just as quick, a little bit more athletic and is a year and a half younger. So I'd probably rate Procida as the better long term prospect but since he's a year and a half younger - and also because he has a much skinnier frame he's a little bit more of a project that will need some time to keep working on his game and get stronger physically.

Procida is probably a draft and stash candidate, whereas Bortolani strikes me as someone who is more plug and play, could probably come in and contribute and start knocking down shots from day 1..

So, I had to check out Procida. This scouting video really makes a good case for him. Good shooter, good transition game, rebounds, and very importantly, his hustle and energy. I fully agree with Rafael from Draft Junkies that playing hard is a skill set. He's definitely on my radar now!

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#108 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Feb 7, 2022 5:20 pm

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

I agree with the general sentiment. When it comes to defensive centers, I'd rather pay the minimum to McGee or another veteran rim protector than spending a pick and three years on teaching a kid how to defend a pick and roll at the NBA level.

There are always exceptions though. If I remember correctly Adebayo was seen as a rim runner exclusively coming out of college but Miami correctly identified there was more to his game than what he showed at Kentucky. I think that if you take a big early you have to be sure that he can provide some other skills offensively beyond finishing as a roll man. That's why Kamagate is somewhat intriguing. His skill set goes beyond just dunking lobs. Now whether that will translate at the NBA level, that remains to be seen. At least, givenn the fact that rim protectors like Capela and Gobert have transitioned well from the french league to the NBA so there's some optimism that his core skill will still be an asset at the next level.

But yeah it's a lot more palatable picking a guy in his mold 25th than 15th.

Bam was a little different though. Bam was viewed as a more versatile guy coming out, he was viewed as someone who can be a 4 or a 5 on the defensive end. The group Im more talking about are the guys that are viewed as a strict 5. The guys Im talking about like Rob, Mitchell Robinson, Gafford, Mark Williams and so on have always been viewed as strict 5s. That lack of versatility dings their draft value in my opinion.

But yes I agree with your point, if youre going to take them earlier it better be because you see the clear potential of an offensive skillset there. Again with guys like Rob, Robinson, Gafford, Mark, those guys were/will taken 100% for their defense. Ya Rob is a solid passer, but its not a game changing skill set for him. Also dont get me wrong, Im not saying they're not valuable, all Im saying is there has been a clear draft value for those kinds of players set. Pretty much mid 20s and on is where those kinds of guys go. So I'm usually always against reaching for those kinds of guys. Even if its for someone like Mark who Im a huge fan of. Id rather trade down and try and get him, rather than to reach for him.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#109 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Feb 7, 2022 5:24 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Jovic might be there. Most mock drafts/ big boards i'm seeing he is anywhere in the 11-22 range. Tankathon has him go 16th in this mock, 1 spot before our pick at 17:
https://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

Depending on where we end up picking, if he is still on the board at that point he is absolutely a guy we should at least consider taking.

I personally think he ends up jumping up the draft the closer we get to it. He isnt explosive but he seems to move pretty well for his size. And I think especially once draft workouts begin, a 6'10 guy who can handle, pass, and has a solid shot is going to move up the draft boards.

But yes I agree, if he is still there when you guys are picking. He would definitely be someone to consider, if not be a heavy favorite.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#110 » by Hal14 » Mon Feb 7, 2022 10:39 pm

Jordan Hall is super underrated IMO. The tankathon mock draft i linked to above has him going like 51st i think....I've got him ranked 11th on my big board right now. So he could be the steal of the draft.

He's a big wing (6'7" with a 7'0" wingspan, 215 lbs) with a nice combination of size, shooting (over 36% from 3 and over 40% during his last few games) and passing (assist rate is way over 30% which is bonkers for a non-PG, the only other non-PG to recently post an assist rate like that prior to NBA that I know of is Scottie Barnes. Yes, Hall isn't as long, athletic as Barnes or as good defensively but is a much better shooter than barnes was coming out of college and is projected to go much later in the draft than Barnes (who was 4th pick in 2021). Hall's numbers in many categories as a freshman last season were actually VERY similar to the numbers that Josh Giddey put up last season, right before Giddey got picked 6th overall.

In terms of fit with the celtics, he would give us another shooter, he's got size and he would possibly be the best passer on our team, which would help out our ball movement. A lineup with Hall and Brown on the wings with Tatum at the 4 could be really fun. With Hall's passing ability, he'd be able to create good looks for the Jays - and if the defense focuses too much on the Jays then hall is out there on the perimeter ready to knock down the 3...

Read on Twitter
winsomme2
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#111 » by winsomme2 » Wed Feb 9, 2022 2:50 pm

a guy I see jumping up draft boards is Caleb Houstan.

silky smooth. long. developing mid-range game.

looks like lottery skills to me.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#112 » by Hal14 » Wed Feb 9, 2022 4:48 pm

If we do decide to go after a PG, this guy could be a nice sleeper:

Read on Twitter
?

Read on Twitter

Looks like a legit pass-first PG who's biggest strength is being a true floor general, facilitator, runs the offense, directs traffic, creates quality shots for teammates. Doesn't look for his own shot but if you leave him open he can score either by taking it to the rim and scoring inside or hitting the 3 (shooting 50% from 3 but on low volume cause he's a pass-first guy who doesn't shoot as much) but if you leave him open he can knock it down. Defense looks decent too, and he's listed at 6'6" but looks closer to 6'4" or 6'5".

Looks like we could probably get him in the 2nd round too, unless he keeps crushing it then his stock might rise to the point where he's a 1st rounder. He's playing in ACB, the top league in europe..
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,959

Post#113 » by playa-hater » Wed Feb 9, 2022 5:07 pm

Hal14 wrote:If we do decide to go after a PG, this guy could be a nice sleeper:

Read on Twitter
?

Read on Twitter

Looks like a legit pass-first PG who's biggest strength is being a true floor general, facilitator, runs the offense, directs traffic, creates quality shots for teammates. Doesn't look for his own shot but if you leave him open he can score either by taking it to the rim and scoring inside or hitting the 3 (shooting 50% from 3 but on low volume cause he's a pass-first guy who doesn't shoot as much) but if you leave him open he can knock it down. Defense looks decent too, and he's listed at 6'6" but looks closer to 6'4" or 6'5".

Looks like we could probably get him in the 2nd round too, unless he keeps crushing it then his stock might rise to the point where he's a 1st rounder. He's playing in ACB, the top league in europe..

Hal, we may not have a first rd pick this draft. Still like your work.. keep them coming!
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Hal14
RealGM

Post#114 » by Hal14 » Wed Feb 9, 2022 8:09 pm

the more games like this he has, the less likely he is to fall to us, but i would love it if we took this guy in the 1st round..

Read on Twitter
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,959

Post#115 » by playa-hater » Wed Feb 9, 2022 8:58 pm

Hal14 wrote:the more games like this he has, the less likely he is to fall to us, but i would love it if we took this guy in the 1st round..

Read on Twitter

Is he A3...4 or more of a 4 does he even shoot 3?
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Hal14
RealGM

Post#116 » by Hal14 » Wed Feb 9, 2022 9:13 pm

playa-hater wrote:
Hal14 wrote:the more games like this he has, the less likely he is to fall to us, but i would love it if we took this guy in the 1st round..

Read on Twitter

Is he A3...4 or more of a 4 does he even shoot 3?

He's a big wing. More of a 4 than a 3 but of course in today's NBA we see more "hybrid combo-forwards" as opposed to the rigid SF and PF classifications. Also, with his 7'0.5" wingspan and ability to rebound, blocks shots and with his strength, he could play some at the 5.

He's versatile on both ends of the floor.

Shoots it decently from 3, hits a couple of 3's in the video right there..

He's projected to go, looks like in the 10-16 range so might go right before our pick but we'll see.. I personally have him ranked no. 9 right now..

I know we might trade our 1st round pick, but we might keep it too..
Hal14
RealGM

Post#117 » by Hal14 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:41 pm

bye bye, 1st round pick. bye bye, Tari Eason.

Not saying bye bye to Jordan Hall, though. There's a chance he falls to 2nd round..
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#118 » by Scoonie » Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:48 pm

I hate that we gave up our 1st round pick yet again.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,510

Post#119 » by Patsfan1081 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:43 pm

Scoonie wrote:I hate that we gave up our 1st round pick yet again.

Another draft we don’t have to watch. It hurts because hitting on a pick might have been the last avenue for this team to adding that third guy. This team is devoid of assets now.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#120 » by Hal14 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:44 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
Scoonie wrote:I hate that we gave up our 1st round pick yet again.

Another draft we don’t have to watch. It hurts because hitting on a pick might have been the last avenue for this team to adding that third guy. This team is devoid of assets now.

rob is the 3rd guy.

we also could trade for beal or lillard in the offseason.

Return to Boston Celtics