ImageImageImage

2022 NBA Draft Thread – (June 23rd, 8PM, ESPN)

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,009

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#401 » by Hal14 » Sun May 15, 2022 1:59 am

Hal14 wrote:Players we've brought in for a pre draft workout so far:

Kevin McCullar Jr - Wing - Texas Tech
Gabe Brown - Wing - Michigan St
Lucas Williamson - Wing - Loyola Chicago
Jared Rhoden - Wing - Seton Hall
Julian Champagnie - Wing - St John's
Keon Ellis - Wing - Alabama
Trevion Williams - C - Purdue
Isaiah Wong - SG - Miami
Michael Foster - PF - G League Ignite
Teddy Allen - Wing - New Mexico St
Peter Kiss - Wing - Bryant

As noted above, one of the guys we've worked out is Keon Ellis. The Box and One just released their scouting report video on him:

I think this might be our guy. Love his defense, the way he really gets after it. Brad and Udoka will probably love the way he plays D. Plus he can shoot it.

Absolutely a guy to keep on the radar. Ellis looks like he could end up being like prime Bruce Bowen except more athletic. And for those younger fans, prime Bruce Bowen is one of the greatest role players of all time.

Plus he's a senior so while maybe lower ceiling, he's a guy who won't need a ton of development. He's pretty much plug and play, ready to come in and contribute right away. If we take Ellis, Nesmith better watch out..

My top 3 favorite guys right now out of the ones we've worked out (in no order) are Ellis, Gabe Brown and McCullar. Really like all 3 of these guys. Hell, I like Williamson, Rhoden and Champagnie too. Brad and his staff know what they're doing!
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
1st banana
Starter
And1: 3,002

Post#402 » by 1st banana » Sun May 15, 2022 3:14 am

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
Hal14 wrote:it's funny you mention that.

i was watching some videos of some sleeper prospects the other day and there's one in particular who will likely be there at 53 - who does remind me of tatum. obviously not as good, not as explosive, athletic or skilled. BUT the size, the frame, the way he moves on the court, some of the moves he makes with the ball. he's like tatum but not as good...at least not yet..he is 2 yrs younger than tatum, after all.

his name?

tyler burton from Richmond.

poor man's tatum.

Oh and he's a local kid too. From Uxbridge, MA. Played at Marianapolis Prep in CT. Played AAU for Mass Elite and Rivals Basketball Club.

Since our reining back-to-back MVP of the NBA was a second round pick maybe just maybe..

Gems are out there..

Sometimes betting on an out of shape player in the second round can pay off.

Speaking of centers that can really pass, Trevion Williams has some really fun dimes and we now Stevens likes bigs who can pass. The free throw shooting and defense are yikes level however.

Trevion Williams wow quite possibly the most impressive passing I’ve seen from a college big, insane for any player really. Skill set is very intriguing id take him in the second round he’s got a lot of good qualities.

The lateral movement and ft shooting is a major concern but there’s a chance with nba nutrition and training along with nba shooting coach could seriously improve both.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#403 » by Hal14 » Sun May 15, 2022 3:19 am

1st banana wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
Since our reining back-to-back MVP of the NBA was a second round pick maybe just maybe..

Gems are out there..

Sometimes betting on an out of shape player in the second round can pay off.

Speaking of centers that can really pass, Trevion Williams has some really fun dimes and we now Stevens likes bigs who can pass. The free throw shooting and defense are yikes level however.

Trevion Williams wow quite possibly the most impressive passing I’ve seen from a college big, insane for any player really. Skill set is very intriguing id take him in the second round he’s got a lot of good qualities.

The lateral movement and ft shooting is a major concern but there’s a chance with nba nutrition and training along with nba shooting coach could seriously improve both.

Yeah his passing is insane that's for sure. That's no doubt the reason why the celtics brought him in for a pre draft workout recently. They probably were thinking like "man, imagine how much the ball will be zipping around with Trevion in there, he'll be setting up the Jays for so many easy baskets"

He seems like a hard worker, plays hard, really gives a sh*t (based on just the way he plays with urgency and his body language) I can see him getting better defensively. If we decide to go for a big with this pick, he's definitely gotta be a consideration - at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if he's off the board before our pick..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
1st banana
Starter
And1: 3,002

Post#404 » by 1st banana » Sun May 15, 2022 3:26 am

Hal14 wrote:
1st banana wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:Sometimes betting on an out of shape player in the second round can pay off.

Yeah his passing is insane that's for sure. That's no doubt the reason why the celtics brought him in for a pre draft workout recently. They probably were thinking like "man, imagine how much the ball will be zipping around with Trevion in there, he'll be setting up the Jays for so many easy baskets"

He seems like a hard worker, plays hard, really gives a sh*t. I can see him getting better defensively. If we decide to go for a big with this pick, he's definitely gotta be a consideration - at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if he's off the board before our pick..

I noticed a lot of those defensive low lights were due to his positioning and technique. I think in this system they’ll teach him how to be a better defender and if he gets in better shape that’ll be a bonus.

The shooting is weird his form seems solid I think his footwork is what’s **** him up It’s inconsistent. Kinda reminded me on Boris diaw and I think could be a nice fit.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#405 » by Hal14 » Sun May 15, 2022 3:32 am

Can we have Gabe Brown suit up for us tomorrow vs the bucks?

djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#406 » by djFan71 » Sun May 15, 2022 5:01 am

Hal14 wrote:
Isaiah Wong - SG - Miami

As noted above, one of the guys we've worked out is Keon Ellis. The Box and One just released their scouting report video on him:

I think this might be our guy. Love his defense, the way he really gets after it. Brad and Udoka will probably love the way he plays D. Plus he can shoot it.

Absolutely a guy to keep on the radar. Ellis looks like he could end up being like prime Bruce Bowen except more athletic.

Plus he's a senior so while maybe lower ceiling, he's a guy who won't need a ton of development. He's pretty much plug and play, ready to come in and contribute right away. If we take Ellis, Nesmith better watch out..

My top 3 favorite guys right now out of the ones we've worked out (in no order) are Ellis, Brown and McCullar. Really like all 3 of these guys. Hell, I like Williamson, Rhoden and Champagnie too. Brad and his staff know what they're doing!

I like him a lot as well. Brought him up a while ago after seeing him here. They have him gone by our pick. Sounds like more creation / playmaking than I remember Bowen having, but I'll have to watch that vid later. Just size, motor, D, all sound great.

You definitely have me on the Brown train. Will have to look into McCullar.

EDIT: Watched the vid, some ugly playmaking attempts there, lol.
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#407 » by BillessuR6 » Sun May 15, 2022 8:23 am

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/05/13/nba-draft-sleepers-terquavion-smith-keon-ellis-tyrese-martin#:~:text=Terquavion%20Smith%2C%20Keon%20Ellis%20and,keep%20a%20close%20eye%20on.

Ellis is also mentioned here...

Terquavion Smith certainly sounds interesting...but he will be long gone before our pick...
Smart2Nesmith43
Bench Warmer
And1: 4,048

Post#408 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Sun May 15, 2022 11:47 am

Isaiah Wong - SG - Miami

Do you compile the list yourself ? I can never seem to find a site that lists all the players the Celtics have worked out. Pretty telling that they haven't even worked out a point guard. All aboard the switchable defense train.

1st banana wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:Speaking of centers that can really pass, Trevion Williams has some really fun dimes and we now Stevens likes bigs who can pass. The free throw shooting and defense are yikes level however.

Yeah, Trevion Williams had a 34.1 AST% this year. That's elite for any position. As a reference point, the entire list of guys in the NBA this year with a better AST% (min 20 games) is Doncic, Young, Paul, Harden, Jokic, Dejounte Murray, Garland, Rondo and Rubio. If I'm Denver I take a long look at him, he's not nearly the scoring threat that Jokic is obviously but he's probably one of the very few bigs that can mimic his passing and let you run the same stuff when he's off the floor.

Interestingly, even if the tape isn't kind for his defense, it's worth noting that he vacuums boards (17 OREB%, 26 DREB% in his college career) and he has quick hands (2.8STL% this year) so he can create some turnovers and be more effective than he appears.
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,779

Post#409 » by Scoonie » Sun May 15, 2022 4:35 pm

Williams is a slow and unathletic big man. Those guys don't fit in today's NBA.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#410 » by Hal14 » Sun May 15, 2022 7:22 pm

Scoonie wrote:Williams is a slow and unathletic big man. Those guys don't fit in today's NBA.

for the most part, yeah..but then there's Jokic..
Hal14
RealGM

Post#411 » by Hal14 » Sun May 15, 2022 7:23 pm

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:

Isaiah Wong - SG - Miami

Do you compile the list yourself ? I can never seem to find a site that lists all the players the Celtics have worked out. Pretty telling that they haven't even worked out a point guard. All aboard the switchable defense train.

1st banana wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:Speaking of centers that can really pass, Trevion Williams has some really fun dimes and we now Stevens likes bigs who can pass. The free throw shooting and defense are yikes level however.

Yeah, Trevion Williams had a 34.1 AST% this year. That's elite for any position. As a reference point, the entire list of guys in the NBA this year with a better AST% (min 20 games) is Doncic, Young, Paul, Harden, Jokic, Dejounte Murray, Garland, Rondo and Rubio. If I'm Denver I take a long look at him, he's not nearly the scoring threat that Jokic is obviously but he's probably one of the very few bigs that can mimic his passing and let you run the same stuff when he's off the floor.

Interestingly, even if the tape isn't kind for his defense, it's worth noting that he vacuums boards (17 OREB%, 26 DREB% in his college career) and he has quick hands (2.8STL% this year) so he can create some turnovers and be more effective than he appears.

I compiled the list from seeing some tweets :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#412 » by Hal14 » Sun May 15, 2022 7:26 pm

I'm only 5:18 into this video but so far Mobley is clearly outplaying Jabari Walker.

To be fair, Walker is just about 3 yrs younger than Mobley so Walker potentially has higher ceiling. But I feel like the celtics right now are looking for guys who are ready now over younger guys with more room to develop.

Mobley and Walker are matched up against each other quite a bit in this game.

Mobley is looking good - definitely think he's a guy who should be on our radar for this pick.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#413 » by captain green » Sun May 15, 2022 10:44 pm

Kalela wrote:
captain green wrote:With the 53rd pick the Boston Celtics select : Johnny Juzang UCLA transfer from Kentucky .
Now I'll tell you why 21 years old been battle tested and imo will spark nesmith into playing for his spot on the roster it's 53 so that's where I'd go unless someone fell. I actually think the dude could be special.

I like Juzang. He reminds me a little bit of Caris LeVert (edit). Not exactly what the Celtics need but I would be okay with him at 53 if he is still on the board. Somehow I don't think he will be.

Well right now he is projected undrafted so hopefully he doesn't çreate to much buzz.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,604

Post#414 » by Curmudgeon » Sun May 15, 2022 11:14 pm

There are always guys who look great in the highlight reels and have good games in college or the G-league. So far I haven't seen a guy who, at the NBA level, will be better than Malik Fitts, who might still be with the Jazz if he hadn't broken his hand.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,014

Post#415 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon May 16, 2022 12:42 am

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Hal14
RealGM

Post#416 » by Hal14 » Mon May 16, 2022 1:03 am

Curmudgeon wrote:There are always guys who look great in the highlight reels and have good games in college or the G-league. So far I haven't seen a guy who, at the NBA level, will be better than Malik Fitts, who might still be with the Jazz if he hadn't broken his hand.

How do you know how good Fitts is, if he only plays during garbage time?
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,604

Post#417 » by Curmudgeon » Mon May 16, 2022 2:32 am

Hal14 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:There are always guys who look great in the highlight reels and have good games in college or the G-league. So far I haven't seen a guy who, at the NBA level, will be better than Malik Fitts, who might still be with the Jazz if he hadn't broken his hand.

How do you know how good Fitts is, if he only plays during garbage time?

G league.

If Stevens finds a late second rounder who becomes a rotation player for the Celtics I will be impressed.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,199

Post#418 » by LewisnotMiller » Mon May 16, 2022 8:09 am

playa-hater wrote:I want to draft another JT.. Yeah I know.. That might be tough at 53.. make it happen Brad !!! :D :nod:

First step is to trade down two places. So I think we need to trade the 53 for pick 55 and a future first rounder...lol
winsomme2
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#419 » by winsomme2 » Mon May 16, 2022 12:45 pm

I am intrigued by the list of players already brought in but I also am liking:

Matthew Mayer - stretch big with great court vision
Isaiah Mobley - athletic defensive big who works well in a switching/help defense
Jordan Hall - wing size with PG handles, passing skills
Ron Harper Jr - multi position defender with scoring pop and a "beast mode"

I think right now Ron Harper is at the top of my wish list. I'm worried he's gonna catch fire in the pre-draft process and get scooped up before we pick. I'm really loving his game and how he would fit with our team culture.

The others on my list probably fill bigger needs and could step into a role from day one. Very NBA ready games and skill sets...
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,779

Post#420 » by Scoonie » Mon May 16, 2022 1:22 pm

The biggest snubs to not get invited to the 2022 NBA combine or G League Elite Camp in Chicago

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/nba-draft-combine-2022-snubs-g-league

Isaiah Mobley

Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports

(USC Trojans: Big, Junior, 6-10)

Most people who follow college basketball closely would agree that Isaiah Mobley was the most surprising name omitted from the invitation list to the upcoming events in Chicago.

The older brother of Rookie of the Year finalist Evan Mobley, Isaiah had a solid season for USC. For the second year in a row, the big man helped lead the Trojans to a berth in the NCAA title.

Maybe it’s because NBA teams already saw him when he participated in the NBA draft combine last season and already felt like they knew what they were getting from him. His measurements were solid, especially with a 7-foot-3 wingspan, and he offers a similar physical profile to Toronto’s Pascal Siakam.

But the athletic testing wasn’t as promising. He had the slowest lane agility time, the second-slowest shuttle run, and he didn’t test particularly well in the three-quarter sprint or either vertical leap.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.

Return to Boston Celtics