ImageImageImage

2022 NBA Draft Thread – (June 23rd, 8PM, ESPN)

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#441 » by djFan71 » Wed May 18, 2022 12:44 am

OKC at 2 & 12. They gotta sell of 30 or 34. Just have to, right?????
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,006

Post#442 » by Hal14 » Wed May 18, 2022 1:48 am

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
165bows wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:My issue with most of the guys discussed in this thread is that, when I go watch some film, no one strikes me as being better than Malik Fitts, Juwan Morgan or Brodric Thomas, all of who have proven that they can play in the NBA or at least excel in the g league.

So I'm looking for the next Juhan Begarin who can be stashed, not a 22 year-old who had a very good but not spectacular college career, which is what many late second round picks are.

Only prob is this draft might suck for internationals:

https://deanondraft.com/2022/05/15/2022-draft-international-men-of-misery/

I think they might trade it (might be easier to make trades this summer with the pick still in the future).

I don't think they'll trade the pick. It's the part of the draft where picks are traded for cash not future picks and it would be an awful look for a contender to be dumping their only pick for cash.

Concerning that article, the author could probably lose the condescending tone, it's super off puting. He might be right (and I certainly agree that I don't see it with Besson as a NBA prospect) but I don't think you can rely solely on stats analysis and completely ignore context. Like if you watch one game from Paris Basketball you immediately understand why Kamagate has super low assists numbers. It's a poorly coached team where the two starting guards take turn going 1 on 5 basically. Kamagate never touches the ball beyond the occasional hand off or lob (and let me tell you, it's pretty clear it's not CP3 feeding him those lobs). On the rare times where he's been given the ball on the short roll, he's actually flashed some decent vision. To say Kamagate hasn't shown much playmaking in game so that's a concern is a legitimate take. To say well he has low assists in France so he must be dumb and he won't hack it in the NBA is a step too far. A prospect's skillset isn't necessarily equal to what he's allowed to show in game. Especially in pro leagues where they have more immediate pressure for results. With his logic he probably thought that Towns couldn't stretch the floor because he didn't shoot threes in college.

As for his rebounding, Begarin and him (+ Toupane once he joined mid season) were the only guys that guarded on that team so he was constantly out of position because he had to rotate to cover for everybody. So yeah he's not gonna get a ton of defensive boards. 2.4 offensive boards in 27 minutes per game against grown men and not teenage college student suggest he'll be fine there.

DeanOnDraft has a horrible reputation in the Draft Twitter crowd. He's considered a legit troll..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,011

Post#443 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed May 18, 2022 1:52 am

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Hal14
RealGM

Post#444 » by Hal14 » Wed May 18, 2022 1:23 pm

djFan71 wrote:OKC at 2 & 12. They gotta sell of 30 or 34. Just have to, right?????

IDK but the rockets. are open to trading the no. 3 pick:

https://www.si.com/nba/rockets/news/houston-rafael-stone-open-to-trading-draft-pick#gid=ci02a1738270002654&pid=stone-2

Makes sense. They have so many young players. They drafted 4 guys in the 1st round last year and are having trouble as it is, finding playing time for all of them, along with porter jr who just turned 22, Daishen Nix, etc. Trade the pick for an established star player is a good move.

It's probably a pipe dream for us to make a move here. I mean, the only guys the rockets would want in exchange for the 3rd pick would be tatum or brown. we're not doing that obviously. if we can somehow get the pick without trading tatum or brown, I think a the top 2 picks will be holmgren and banchero so we could get Jabari Smith. Jr, a floor spacing 6'10" dude who just had one of the best shooting seasons ever for a freshman of his size. Plus he's an elite, highly switchable defender. He'd be perfect on the celtics, but it's just probably not realistic cause we don't have anyone the rockets would want for the pick, other than tatum/brown..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,747

Post#445 » by Larry_Russell » Wed May 18, 2022 1:36 pm

Hal14 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:OKC at 2 & 12. They gotta sell of 30 or 34. Just have to, right?????

https://www.si.com/nba/rockets/news/houston-rafael-stone-open-to-trading-draft-pick#gid=ci02a1738270002654&pid=stone-2

Makes sense. They have so many young players. They drafted 4 guys in the 1st round last year and are having trouble as it is, finding playing time for all of them, along with porter jr who just turned 22, Daishen Nix, etc. Trade the pick for an established star player is a good move.

It's probably a pipe dream for us to make a move here. I mean, the only guys the rockets would want in exchange for the 3rd pick would be tatum or brown. we're not doing that obviously. if we can somehow get the pick without trading tatum or brown, I think a the top 2 picks will be holmgren and banchero so we could get Jabari Smith. Jr, a floor spacing 6'10" dude who just had one of the best shooting seasons ever for a freshman of his size. Plus he's an elite, highly switchable defender. He'd be perfect on the celtics, but it's just probably not realistic cause we don't have anyone the rockets would want for the pick, other than tatum/brown..

Thats interesting about Houston.

Smith would indeed be a perfect replacement to Horford, I am just not sure what Houston would want in return for a deal of the 3rd pick.
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,779

Post#446 » by Scoonie » Wed May 18, 2022 4:12 pm

Duke's Mark Williams is crazy long:

Read on Twitter
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,481

Post#447 » by 165bows » Wed May 18, 2022 4:27 pm

Scoonie wrote:Duke's Mark Williams is crazy long:

Read on Twitter

Ron Harper Jr. came out kind of short but super long:

"Jonathan Givony
@DraftExpress

Rutgers's Ron Harper official measurements from the NBA Combine: 6'5.5 in shoes, 7'1.25 wingspan, 8'9.5 standing reach, 240.4 lbs with 14.3% body fat"
Smart2Nesmith43
Bench Warmer
And1: 4,047

Post#448 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Wed May 18, 2022 6:09 pm

Not really Celtics related but it would be pretty cool if the Magic reunited Suggs and Holmgren in the NBA.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#449 » by Hal14 » Wed May 18, 2022 8:02 pm

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:Not really Celtics related but it would be pretty cool if the Magic reunited Suggs and Holmgren in the NBA.

Yeah apparently they've been playing together since 3rd grade. So that'd be roughly 8 years as teammates. I'd definitely take holmgren 1st if i was orlando.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#450 » by djFan71 » Wed May 18, 2022 8:27 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:Not really Celtics related but it would be pretty cool if the Magic reunited Suggs and Holmgren in the NBA.

Yeah apparently they've been playing together since 3rd grade. So that'd be roughly 8 years as teammates. I'd definitely take holmgren 1st if i was orlando.

So, we're all buying Chet? I'm too scared of skinny dudes to take Chet, but I really don't know. Spectrum from Giannis/KD to Manute/Bradley, so ???? Feels like the ultimate home run swing - maybe you get lucky, but feels like more often you don't. Not that you go safe pick or anything, but man, I'd feel uneasy pulling the tigger taking him.

I honestly haven't looked at the top of the draft, tho. Just scraps that may be left in the later 2nd round. :D
SatchSanders
Sophomore
And1: 118

Post#451 » by SatchSanders » Wed May 18, 2022 8:46 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Thats interesting about Houston.

Smith would indeed be a perfect replacement to Horford, I am just not sure what Houston would want in return for a deal of the 3rd pick.

Knowing that the world goes on during the playoffs, Brad has to be thinking about how to utilize the Fournier exception, future picks, as well as more favorable perceptions of our players to improve the team for next season. It seems securing Horford's successor would be most helpful this summer.

Assuming Boston is willing to blow through the luxury tax ceiling, I'm wondering if Orlando and Houston might give us the best opportunities in this regard. It would probably be more complicated to generate a match with Houston right. Wood fits into the Fournier exception, but he doesn't seem to interest the C's. I'm not sure about others for whom the exception could be used. So assuming Brown (& Tatum of course) are off limits, building a package for Jabari Smith, Jr. would be tough. I suppose they could package Grant and Pritchard based on selling high with both of them, but that plus Boston picks would be like a pu-pu platter.

So with Orlando getting the first pick and the bigs at the top of the draft, I wonder if they might move on from Wendell Carter, Jr. He'd fit nicely into the Fournier exception and would complement the others well on the floor (albeit a bit differently than Horford). Going back to Orlando? Pritchard, a FRP, and Theis? Sub out Grant for Pritchard or for Theis if they don't think they'll extend him? Maybe a third team gets involved with picks going to Orlando? I wouldn't think Orlando is looking to dump salary, but maybe they would if they think they can move WCJ to add to their 27m in space such that they get up to around $41m and sign someone like Harden (if his value has truly declined). That seems dumb but who knows?
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,256

Post#452 » by hugepatsfan » Wed May 18, 2022 10:00 pm

I think we could get #16 from ATL in a deal for Smart. I can't think of any other plausible non Tatum/Brown trade that could get us any higher.

If we do want to shake things up and trade Brown, I think we could get #4 from SAC with Davion Mitchell and/or a future pick attached. Probably #7, Josh Hart, a future pick and a partially guaranteed Eric Bledsoe from POR as well.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#453 » by Hal14 » Wed May 18, 2022 11:42 pm

Keon Ellis continues to look like a good option at pick 53:

Read on Twitter
/photo/1
neno
Rookie
And1: 916

Post#454 » by neno » Thu May 19, 2022 2:43 am

They have plenty of cap and need for talent maybe not but clippers already have big tax bill for next year and there late first will end up costing them a fortune for a guy who probably won't see the court
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,417

Post#455 » by Kalela » Thu May 19, 2022 4:51 am

There will be some decent players available in the 2nd round. It would be nice if the Celtics would buy a pick.

Read on Twitter

Here is exactly what the Hornets need. Either him or Duren would make that team a lot better if they pan out.
Fire Mazzulla
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#456 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu May 19, 2022 5:26 am

Kalela wrote:There will be some decent players available in the 2nd quarter. It would be nice if the Celtics would buy a pick.

Read on Twitter

Here is exactly what the Hornets need. Either him or Duren would make that team a lot better if they pan out.

They just drafted Kai Jones who could their 5 of the future. He's basically TimeLord in size and ability but a better handle and offensive game. But I could see him having a similar role as JJJ so either Williams or Duren might make sense. They also badly need a 3 and D wing like Agbaji, Griffin or Eason with their other pick with Bridges potentially gone and Hayward always injured.
Scoonie
Bench Warmer

Post#457 » by Scoonie » Thu May 19, 2022 12:23 pm

If we're looking for an eventual replacement for Al, Michael Foster Jr. from the G-League Ignite could be a really good option in the 2nd round:

Read on Twitter
Scoonie
Bench Warmer

Post#458 » by Scoonie » Thu May 19, 2022 12:26 pm

NBA Draft Combine measurements, strength & agility results are here:

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-anthro/?sort=PLAYER_NAME&dir=-1

Jabari Walker's numbers are a little disappointing. Only 6'6.75 without shoes, 214 lbs. with a 32/5" max vertical leap. At that size with only average athleticism, he may struggle to guard post players in the NBA.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#459 » by 165bows » Thu May 19, 2022 12:34 pm

Hal14 wrote:

Feels kind of blasphemous to suggest but Brown for the 2 or 3 for Banchero then S/T for Beal is a sinister move. Adds the third high end player while staying out of the third concurrent big max deal. Smith/Tatum seems too skinny at the forwards though, they need a PF with bulk for the foreseeable future.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#460 » by 165bows » Thu May 19, 2022 12:34 pm

djFan71 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

So, we're all buying Chet? I'm too scared of skinny dudes to take Chet, but I really don't know. Spectrum from Giannis/KD to Manute/Bradley, so ???? Feels like the ultimate home run swing - maybe you get lucky, but feels like more often you don't. Not that you go safe pick or anything, but man, I'd feel uneasy pulling the tigger taking him.

I honestly haven't looked at the top of the draft, tho. Just scraps that may be left in the later 2nd round. :D

Guy seems a lot like Prozingis to me as the closest comp.

Return to Boston Celtics