ImageImageImage

2022 NBA Draft Thread – (June 23rd, 8PM, ESPN)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,235

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#81 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Tue Feb 1, 2022 10:17 pm

Hal14 wrote:Woah.. 37 points / 4 rebounds / 7 assists / 3 steals / 15-19 FG in 29 minutes and he's only 18. won't turn 19 till october..

Read on Twitter

I don't think he's eligible until 2023. I have real doubts about the quality of the opposition (it's bad). He's 1/16 lifetime against pros. In the same league, Pacôme Dadiet is averaging almost as many points (on lower efficiency admittedly), plays a more premium position (forward vs guard), is almost two years younger and I'm not sure he's an NBA prospect. As a frame of reference, Begarin was playing in a better league when he was fifteen. I also don't think he has freakish athletic tools that are going to make teams draft him regardless of his actual skill level. Now everybody develops at different rates so we can revisit in a couple years but right now he's not a NBA prospect. As far as I can see, he can't even crack the french national youth teams so yeah I wouldn't hold my breath. He could carve out a nice career in Europe though.

The french class of 2023 is absolutely loaded (like better than any we've ever had and it's not particularly close). I don't think Kamardine will a part of it though. Victor Wembanyama, Rayan Rupert, Sidy Cissoko are all projected in the first round. Add in Ismaël Kamagate, Ousmane Dieng, Hugo Besson or Moussa Diabaté if they don't come out this year. I didn't even mention Yohan Traoré who's a five star recruit for LSU next season and there are a few fringe type guys that could probably get a look in the second round with a nice season in 2022/2023. Realistically even those guys are going to be squeezed because I don't know how a GM will be able to go to his owner/fans and say with a straight face aren't you excited I drafted the seventh best french player available :lol:
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,191

Post#82 » by Hal14 » Tue Feb 1, 2022 11:11 pm

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Woah.. 37 points / 4 rebounds / 7 assists / 3 steals / 15-19 FG in 29 minutes and he's only 18. won't turn 19 till october..

Read on Twitter

I don't think he's eligible until 2023. I have real doubts about the quality of the opposition (it's bad). He's 1/16 lifetime against pros. In the same league, Pacôme Dadiet is averaging almost as many points (on lower efficiency admittedly), plays a more premium position (forward vs guard), is almost two years younger and I'm not sure he's an NBA prospect. As a frame of reference, Begarin was playing in a better league when he was fifteen. I also don't think he has freakish athletic tools that are going to make teams draft him regardless of his actual skill level. Now everybody develops at different rates so we can revisit in a couple years but right now he's not a NBA prospect. As far as I can see, he can't even crack the french national youth teams so yeah I wouldn't hold my breath. He could carve out a nice career in Europe though.

The french class of 2023 is absolutely loaded (like better than any we've ever had and it's not particularly close). I don't think Kamardine will a part of it though. Victor Wembanyama, Rayan Rupert, Sidy Cissoko are all projected in the first round. Add in Ismaël Kamagate, Ousmane Dieng, Hugo Besson or Moussa Diabaté if they don't come out this year. I didn't even mention Yohan Traoré who's a five star recruit for LSU next season and there are a few fringe type guys that could probably get a look in the second round with a nice season in 2022/2023. Realistically even those guys are going to be squeezed because I don't know how a GM will be able to go to his owner/fans and say with a straight face aren't you excited I drafted the seventh best french player available :lol:

He turns 19 during the year 2022, so that would make him eligible for 2022 draft.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,370

Post#83 » by Red2 » Thu Feb 3, 2022 12:32 pm

Jaden Ivy is the guy we need. Walter Kessler would help as well
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,914

Post#84 » by Larry_Russell » Thu Feb 3, 2022 1:45 pm

Red2 wrote:Jaden Ivy is the guy we need. Walter Kessler would help as well

You are talking my language on Ivey.

I would LOVE to have him on this team. Kid is going to be a beast for sure.

Ideally we have BEal on this team by seasons end/start, but if we added Ivey instead I would be thrilled, maybe more so due to age and contract.

Kid looks like Wade out there with a more consistant, results gathering 3pt shot.

just an amazing talent.
rd26
Junior
And1: 592

Post#85 » by rd26 » Thu Feb 3, 2022 2:01 pm

Red2 wrote:Jaden Ivy is the guy we need. Walter Kessler would help as well

Kessler has alot better 3 ball than he's shown, works his *ss off too. Pretty decent chance he doesn't come out this year unless he moves up into the lottery or very near it. Kessler camp and Auburn coaches both believe he would likely be top 10 next season as the top dog, even in a loaded class.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,238

Post#86 » by LewisnotMiller » Thu Feb 3, 2022 2:03 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Scoonie wrote:I like both AJ Griffin and Mark WIlliams from Duke. Both played very well in their win over Louisville this afternoon.

AJ Griffin
(former Celtic Adrian Griffin's son) is a 6'6 bull of a Small Forward, very strong, long arms, good defender, and really good 3-point shooter (5-5 3 PT against Louisville today). Tons of upside. If he keeps playing like he did today, he'll be a lottery pick. Had injury problems his last two years of high school and hasn't played a ton of basketball, but definitely seems to have a pro game. Looked like the best player on the court for much of the game today.

Mark Williams is a 6'11/7'0 athletic Center, not quite as explosive as Robert Williams, but similar type of game in that he can jump, finishes lobs, blocks shots, gets rebounds, and can actually hit the mid-range open jumper a little as well. Doesn't put up huge scoring numbers, but would give us a 2nd athletic Center to play behind TimeLord and start when TimeLord is injured (which is often). He seems underrated to me, and right now is mostly projected as a late 1st round pick. He had 14 points, 11 rebounds, and 2 blocks against Louisville today and played well down the stretch when they retook and extended their lead.

They're good. but Griffin is likely going in the top 6 or 7 picks. very slim chance we get a pick that high.

I'm an Aussie, and in our local footy league (www.afl.com.au) teams get priority drafting rights over the sons of former players.
Nice little wrinkle so fans can see the sons of their favourite old timers join the team and create a legacy.
This has even resulted in three generations of stars playing at one club on at least one occasion.

We just need to get the NBA to implement this rule in the next few weeks, and we're golden. Easy...right??
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,779

Post#87 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Feb 3, 2022 8:03 pm

playa-hater wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Scoonie wrote:I like both AJ Griffin and Mark WIlliams from Duke. Both played very well in their win over Louisville this afternoon.

AJ Griffin
(former Celtic Adrian Griffin's son) is a 6'6 bull of a Small Forward, very strong, long arms, good defender, and really good 3-point shooter (5-5 3 PT against Louisville today). Tons of upside. If he keeps playing like he did today, he'll be a lottery pick. Had injury problems his last two years of high school and hasn't played a ton of basketball, but definitely seems to have a pro game. Looked like the best player on the court for much of the game today.

Mark Williams is a 6'11/7'0 athletic Center, not quite as explosive as Robert Williams, but similar type of game in that he can jump, finishes lobs, blocks shots, gets rebounds, and can actually hit the mid-range open jumper a little as well. Doesn't put up huge scoring numbers, but would give us a 2nd athletic Center to play behind TimeLord and start when TimeLord is injured (which is often). He seems underrated to me, and right now is mostly projected as a late 1st round pick. He had 14 points, 11 rebounds, and 2 blocks against Louisville today and played well down the stretch when they retook and extended their lead.

They're good. but Griffin is likely going in the top 6 or 7 picks. very slim chance we get a pick that high.

we're lightly picking in the 13-18 range. Williams will likely be available then but i doubt we pick a center that high, with the continued emergence of rob and how the team is saying they consider him part of the future core alongside Tatum/Brown.

don't know enough to agree or disagree but maybe some players can rise up and push Griffen down to us.

AJ is more of the player you expect to continue to rise than get pushed down. 12/5/1 with really good defense and a 65 TS% in conference play so far and that is just in 26mpg. Now obviously his 3pt% is going to tail off, it wont continue to be north of 50% in conference play. But his FT% will rise (he has always been a solid-good FT shooter). His role has slowly been expanding as well. I think most view him as kind of the poster boy of the guys that are expected to rise as we get closer to the draft. For instance Mike Schmitz was saying he wouldnt be shocked if he ends up top 5.

So ya I think he will be out of reach by the time the draft comes around. A few perimeter names that might be available in the mid to late teens.

Bennedict Mathurin: Probably wont be there but most mocks seem to have him 10th-late lotto. Good size, good athleticism, solid jumper
Ochai Agbaji: Older but solid size for a guard, good 3pt shooter (the FT shooting is questionable), good athlete.
Max Christie: Skinny guard, with a really nice looking jumper off the catch and shoot or off the dribble
Kendall Brown: Not a shooter, but 6'7-6'8 wing with elite athleticism.
Pat Baldwin: Bad year in a very bad situation. But a legit 6'9 with as nice of a shooting stroke you can ask for.

And I agree with the poster above. Mark Williams will be there in the mid teens, but that is too high to take him.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#88 » by Hal14 » Thu Feb 3, 2022 10:24 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
Hal14 wrote:They're good. but Griffin is likely going in the top 6 or 7 picks. very slim chance we get a pick that high.

we're lightly picking in the 13-18 range. Williams will likely be available then but i doubt we pick a center that high, with the continued emergence of rob and how the team is saying they consider him part of the future core alongside Tatum/Brown.

don't know enough to agree or disagree but maybe some players can rise up and push Griffen down to us.

AJ is more of the player you expect to continue to rise than get pushed down. 12/5/1 with really good defense and a 65 TS% in conference play so far and that is just in 26mpg. Now obviously his 3pt% is going to tail off, it wont continue to be north of 50% in conference play. But his FT% will rise (he has always been a solid-good FT shooter). His role has slowly been expanding as well. I think most view him as kind of the poster boy of the guys that are expected to rise as we get closer to the draft. For instance Mike Schmitz was saying he wouldnt be shocked if he ends up top 5.

So ya I think he will be out of reach by the time the draft comes around. A few perimeter names that might be available in the mid to late teens.

Bennedict Mathurin: Probably wont be there but most mocks seem to have him 10th-late lotto. Good size, good athleticism, solid jumper
Ochai Agbaji: Older but solid size for a guard, good 3pt shooter (the FT shooting is questionable), good athlete.
Max Christie: Skinny guard, with a really nice looking jumper off the catch and shoot or off the dribble
Pat Baldwin: Bad year in a very bad situation. But a legit 6'9 with as nice of a shooting stroke you can ask for.

And I agree with the poster above. Mark Williams will be there in the mid teens, but that is too high to take him.

From those guys..

Mathurin - yes if he's still on the board in the 13-18 range, you take him but I doubt he'll still be there.

Christie - way too similar to Nesmith. Christie is like a skinnier Nesmith who is isn't as proven a shooter at the college level but maybe has better moves off the dribble. Could potentially end up being better than Nesmith but IMO just way too similar to draft him. Now, on the off-chance that we trade Nesmith at the deadline or on like a draft night trade, then sure I may be open to picking Christie

Agbaji - ah, i don't know man. All of these guys, Mathurin, Christie and Agbaji are all kind of like Nesmith. I just think Mathurin is a top 10 talent with star upside so i would take him anyways. But Agbaji? Projects to be a solid role player. Kind of similar to Christie except Agbaji is stronger, better defender and overall just a better player than Christie but Agbaji is 3 years older so while Agbaji is better today, Christie possibly ends up being better in the long term - but I think the celtics would probably rather take the guy who is ready now, less of a development project so we'd probably want Agbaji over Christie...but is Agbaji too similar to Nesmith/Langford/Begarin?

Kendall Brown - here's a wild card! On one hand, I'm almost scared to draft a wing who isn't a really good shooter, given our shooting woes this season. On the other hand, Brown is very unique - he clearly provides something different than Nesmith/Langford. Brown has this insane energy he plays with. Yes, Nesmith plays a high octane style of play, but often times plays out of control. Brown is more fast, fast, go go go, up tempo high energy while at the same time stays under control. Plus Brown is bigger than Nesmith. Brown is 6'8" with a 6'11" wingspan and a vertical leap that's clearly over 40". I've seen him dunk the ball with his head up near the rim (or above it) more times than i can count. The dude can jump out of the gym, he's a freak athlete. You put Brown and Robert williams out there together - man, we'd have 2 lob threats at the same time - a smart offensive basketball mind should be able to draw up some plays where you look for a lob to 1 of them but if the pass isn't there, then boom, the other one cuts to the basket for a lob and boom, dunk! Excellent cutter, excellent at moving without the ball. Absolutely NOT a ball stopper - if anything, he might be too unselfish but that is probably a good thing with tatum/brown here - a guy like kendall brown will absolutely not take shots away from those guys - if anything he'd get tatum/brown better looks because he's such a damn good passer. Can you tell I'm a kendall brown fan? lol. Good, highly switchable defender too. Really good off ball defender, excellent at jumping the passing lanes for steals and turning defense to offense by pushing it on the break - really good in transition at pushing it quickly, and either passing it ahead to open man or finishing it himself. I think he's a guy who can contribute right away with defense, passing, energy, cutting, lob dunks and then long term you hope he is able to improve his shooting and ability to create off the dribble - if he does he could turn into a star. It's just that in the short term, while Kendall brown is working on his shot, you just have to make sure you have another shooter out there if Kendall brown is out there with tatum, brown and rob. it probably wouldn't work with smart as the 5th guy in the lineup. Pritchard? Yes.

Baldwin - he's a tough one to evaluate because he hasn't played many games this season (only like 8 and in 1 of those games he left the game only a few mins into the 2nd half w/ ankle injury)..an injury he still hasn't returned from. Plus when he has played, Baldwin has faced some really easy teams in a small conference (along with 2 tougher games vs colorado and florida). But overall, he has struggled. Baldwin could end up being really good but I probably wouldn't take him. I have him 19th right now on my big board. However, some people have him top 10 so there is a decent chance he won't make it to our pick..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man

Post#89 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Thu Feb 3, 2022 11:19 pm

Hal14 wrote:He turns 19 during the year 2022, so that would make him eligible for 2022 draft.

Hey that's my bad. I read somewhere he was eligible in 2023 and I didn't double check. I guess I shouldn't believe everything that's on the internet, who knew ?
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,737

Post#90 » by playa-hater » Fri Feb 4, 2022 2:34 am

Hal14 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

From those guys..

Mathurin - yes if he's still on the board in the 13-18 range, you take him but I doubt he'll still be there.

Christie - way too similar to Nesmith. Christie is like a skinnier Nesmith who is isn't as proven a shooter at the college level but maybe has better moves off the dribble. Could potentially end up being better than Nesmith but IMO just way too similar to draft him. Now, on the off-chance that we trade Nesmith at the deadline or on like a draft night trade, then sure I may be open to picking Christie

Agbaji - ah, i don't know man. All of these guys, Mathurin, Christie and Agbaji are all kind of like Nesmith. I just think Mathurin is a top 10 talent with star upside so i would take him anyways. But Agbaji? Projects to be a solid role player. Kind of similar to Christie except Agbaji is stronger, better defender and overall just a better player than Christie but Agbaji is 3 years older so while Agbaji is better today, Christie possibly ends up being better in the long term - but I think the celtics would probably rather take the guy who is ready now, less of a development project so we'd probably want Agbaji over Christie...but is Agbaji too similar to Nesmith/Langford/Begarin?

Kendall Brown - here's a wild card! On one hand, I'm almost scared to draft a wing who isn't a really good shooter, given our shooting woes this season. On the other hand, Brown is very unique - he clearly provides something different than Nesmith/Langford. Brown has this insane energy he plays with. Yes, Nesmith plays a high octane style of play, but often times plays out of control. Brown is more fast, fast, go go go, up tempo high energy while at the same time stays under control. Plus Brown is bigger than Nesmith. Brown is 6'8" with a 6'11" wingspan and a vertical leap that's clearly over 40". I've seen him dunk the ball with his head up near the rim (or above it) more times than i can count. The dude can jump out of the gym, he's a freak athlete. You put Brown and Robert williams out there together - man, we'd have 2 lob threats at the same time - a smart offensive basketball mind should be able to draw up some plays where you look for a lob to 1 of them but if the pass isn't there, then boom, the other one cuts to the basket for a lob and boom, dunk! Excellent cutter, excellent at moving without the ball. Absolutely NOT a ball stopper - if anything, he might be too unselfish but that is probably a good thing with tatum/brown here - a guy like kendall brown will absolutely not take shots away from those guys - if anything he'd get tatum/brown better looks because he's such a damn good passer. Can you tell I'm a kendall brown fan? lol. Good, highly switchable defender too. Really good off ball defender, excellent at jumping the passing lanes for steals and turning defense to offense by pushing it on the break - really good in transition at pushing it quickly, and either passing it ahead to open man or finishing it himself. I think he's a guy who can contribute right away with defense, passing, energy, cutting, lob dunks and then long term you hope he is able to improve his shooting and ability to create off the dribble - if he does he could turn into a star. It's just that in the short term, while Kendall brown is working on his shot, you just have to make sure you have another shooter out there if Kendall brown is out there with tatum, brown and rob. it probably wouldn't work with smart as the 5th guy in the lineup. Pritchard? Yes.

Baldwin - he's a tough one to evaluate because he hasn't played many games this season (only like 8 and in 1 of those games he left the game only a few mins into the 2nd half w/ ankle injury)..an injury he still hasn't returned from. Plus when he has played, Baldwin has faced some really easy teams in a small conference (along with 2 tougher games vs colorado and florida). But overall, he has struggled. Baldwin could end up being really good but I probably wouldn't take him. I have him 19th right now on my big board. However, some people have him top 10 so there is a decent chance he won't make it to our pick..

good reads..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,914

Post#91 » by Larry_Russell » Fri Feb 4, 2022 1:23 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

From those guys..

Credit is due, you put in a lot of effort and thought into the draft thread.

Thanks Mate.
coach mang
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,401

Post#92 » by coach mang » Fri Feb 4, 2022 3:04 pm

AJ Griffin

grazi for putting this kid on mangs radar. mang really like the cut of his jib. plus his old man had a sweet swiss army knife game when he played here. we like them bloodlines

notice the tiny cross/chain combo circa 1987 mang love dat

this is a variation of a trade dat was floated in the trade thread but if u could trade jaylen for the magic pick and turn it into griffin plus cole anthony plus (and heres the variation) the reincarnation of a young never nervous pervis but w/ a heart (along w/ the injury risk) jonathan isaac do u do dat?

playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,737

Post#93 » by playa-hater » Fri Feb 4, 2022 5:08 pm

coach mang wrote:

AJ Griffin

grazi for putting this kid on mangs radar. mang really like the cut of his jib. plus his old man had a sweet swiss army knife game when he played here. we like them bloodlines

notice the tiny cross/chain combo circa 1987 mang love dat

this is a variation of a trade dat was floated in the trade thread but if u could trade jaylen for the magic pick and turn it into griffin plus cole anthony plus (and heres the variation) the reincarnation of a young never nervous pervis but w/ a heart (along w/ the injury risk) jonathan isaac do u do dat?

I want to plus 1 this post... but I need someone help me decipher what I just read :D
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Hal14
RealGM

Post#94 » by Hal14 » Sat Feb 5, 2022 6:22 pm

Interesting sleeper / shooter... might be a reach to take him in the 1st round but absolutely could be a steal in the 2nd round..

Dude is shooting 43.5% from 3 on 4.9 attempts per game. Last season shot 42% from 3 on 2.31 attempts per game. So his % has actually gone up this season even with much higher volume. Also impressive since he's going against some of the top competition in europe.

Just turned 21. Will turn 22 early in his rookie season so that could also be good for the celtics if he's a guy who's ready to come in and contribute from day 1 rather than a young kid development project..

One of the smoothest shooting strokes you'll see for a dude not currently playing in the NBA.
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#95 » by Scoonie » Sat Feb 5, 2022 9:37 pm

Hal14 wrote:Interesting sleeper / shooter... might be a reach to take him in the 1st round but absolutely could be a steal in the 2nd round..

His stroke looks a lot like Bogdan Bogdanovic of the Hawks.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,613

Post#96 » by Kalela » Sun Feb 6, 2022 12:33 am

That Griffin kid is having a good game against the Tar Heels. Anyway I like Mark Williams. He is too much like Rob Williams though. Celtics need a stretch 5 more than another Rob type. Still a very good player and I wouldn't complain if the Celtics got him.
Fire Mazzulla
Hal14
RealGM

Post#97 » by Hal14 » Sun Feb 6, 2022 1:13 am

Scoonie wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Interesting sleeper / shooter... might be a reach to take him in the 1st round but absolutely could be a steal in the 2nd round..

His stroke looks a lot like Bogdan Bogdanovic of the Hawks.

yeah Bortolani definitely reminds me of Bogi.
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#98 » by Scoonie » Sun Feb 6, 2022 6:16 pm

Kalela wrote:That Griffin kid is having a good game against the Tar Heels. Anyway I like Mark Williams. He is too much like Rob Williams though. Celtics need a stretch 5 more than another Rob type. Still a very good player and I wouldn't complain if the Celtics got him.

Griffin has been dominating lately, even outplaying his teammate Paulo Banchero (top 3 pick, with change to go #1 overall). Definitely playing himself into being a Top 7 pick. He had a game-high 27 points on 11-17 FG in their 20 point win over North Carolina yesterday evening.

I would love to have a 2nd Robert Williams on this team. You can't have too many athletic, rim-running bigs who can block shots. And as we all know, Rob Williams is frequently injured and has historically missed a lot of game. Mark Williams just turned 20 years old in December and just scratching the surface of his potential. He's also taller and longer than Robert Williams.

This is a weak draft for big men and Celtics should look long and hard at Mark Williams if he's still available for their 1st round pick. HIs stock is rising.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,915

Post#99 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Feb 6, 2022 6:31 pm

You don't need to waste a first on a rim running big. Kamagate and/or Nzosa should be there in the second round. And Bol Bol is already a Celtic (at least for now).

In the first round, Jovic looks like a very good fit. Very nice three point stroke and he can pass and handle.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man

Post#100 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Sun Feb 6, 2022 8:06 pm

How would you rate him compared to Procida who's another shooter that's been getting some draft buzz ?

Return to Boston Celtics