ImageImageImage

The Real Problem -- Lack of a True Point Guard

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,935

Re: The Real Problem -- Lack of a True Point Guard 

Post#141 » by BK_2020 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:50 am

darrendaye wrote: Brown is a bit more on the fence in this regard. In the event he doesn't take a big jump, I'd say he should be pulled aside and counseled that the role you are suggesting is best for all parties involved. More cutting, more motion shooting, etc.

Jaylen is a guy who will stand in his spot and stare at the ball with his hands out, even if the ball handler is two feet away and his man therefore gets a free double on the ball. Asking him to read the defense and cut to create space is not going to go well.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,053

Post#142 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:53 am

Read on Twitter
moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#143 » by moonie_mcgee » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:54 am

darrendaye wrote:
The Comedian wrote:I thought Smart played with a slower pace in the finals, but I mean they had Tatum playing more of the PG role in the finals, Smart more off ball.

I also think MS was both injured and gassed in the finals, and defended his ASS OFF, so he just didn’t have as much in the tank to drive a lot and be a creator. I’m excited to see what he can do with a season of the system under his belt, same for Tatum/Jaylen, and especially White.

Both Smart and Tatum need to walk the ball up-court less frequently. I mean, you can slow it down once it crosses the time-line but one of the reasons you like having 6'8" guys bringing it up is to see over a yet to be settled defense. Guys need some low throttle time on court, but that's why they invented catch and shoot corner 3s and trailer 3s. When Smart takes it up it should be mostly with 2 intentions: find an early opening for a score or pass to Tatum (primarily)/Brown (when more prudent) on the wing.

The slow it down thing was to conserve energy but it was counter productive too as it limited our scoring. Dubs had great depth and played full throttle. Saw it clear as day in game 6. Fast start, up by 15 and we slowed it down. Dubs stormed back and we were spent. We need more depth. Great depth. To sit the core together and not blow our lead.
That's the Way of the World
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#144 » by greenroom31 » Fri Jul 1, 2022 5:43 pm

greenroom31 wrote:Having suffered through half the season, it's super clear to me that this team's biggest issue by far is lack of a true PG. Jayson and Jaylen are forced to not just score but also create for other players, which they are still learning how to do well. The other guys aren't great shooters to start with, but it's made worse by the fact that we don't have a PG to set the table for them and run real plays. This especially kills us at crunch time/in the 4th quarter, and is part of the reason we've been so bad in those situations. Just asking for "more ball movement" is not enough.

The lack of a true PG is our most glaring issue and adding one could help us in a major way and put everyone in the right place so to speak. And a quick note for those who want to defend Smart/Schroder/Pritchard -- Smart is a great 6th man/defensive role player, but he is playing off the ball the majority of the time. He's too careless with the ball. Schroder is ball dominant and has a score-first mentality. Pritchard is really more of an undersized SG, or at least he's used that way.

Ok, now on to the point of this thread: let's do Brad's job and find who we could realistically acquire to fill this role. First, a list of some possible/quasi-realistic targets that we could get without moving Brown or Tatum (who I FIRMLY believe are not the issue):

Rotational Guys:
-Tyus Jones (Memphis) / 1 year, $8.4M
-Jalen Brunson (Dallas) / 1 year, $1.8M
-Cam Payne (Phoenix) / 3 years, $19M
-Patrick Beverly (Minnesota) / 1 year, $14.3M
-Goran Dragic (Toronto) / 1 year, $19.4M
-Coby White (Chicago) / 3 years, $13M, last year is qualifying offer at $10M
-Cory Joseph (Detroit) / 2 years, $12.5M, last year is player option

Potential Starters:
-Josh Hart (New Orleans) / 3 years, $38M deal, last year is player option
-Devonte Graham (New Orleans) / 4 years, $47M
-De'Aaron Fox (Sacramento) / 5 years, $163M (would love Haliburton but I think it would take Jaylen or Tatum)
-Malcolm Brogdon (Indiana) / 4 years, $89M
-Spencer Dinwiddie (Washington) / 3 years, $54M
-D'Angelo Russell (Minnesota) / 2 years, $61M
-Tyrese Maxey (Philadelphia) / 4 years, $16M (rookie deal with team option year 3, qualifying year 4)
-Eric Bledsoe (Clippers) / 2 years, $37.5M
-Reggie Jackson (Clippers) / 2 years, $21.6M

High-Risk/Unknown Upside:
-John Wall (Houston) / 2 years, $92M, last year is player option that he is DEFINITELY taking
-CJ McCollum (Phoenix) / 3 years, $100M (I know he's not a PG but we could give it a shot, and Portland may be desperate to make a change)
-Ben Simmons (Philadelphia) / 4 years, $147M (would have to take Harris too, but putting it out there for discussion)
-Russell Westbrook (Lakers) / 2 years, $91M, last year is player option that he is DEFINITELY taking

Next post I will dig into each of these groups and talk about some guys I'd like to target and what possible trades might look like. Would love to hear your thoughts on this list and also if I left anyone out who should be in here! Mods: I know there's already a trade thread but I feel this is a very specific and focused thread on our most important need vs. every team and every rumor, so hopefully we can keep this one separate.

Read on Twitter
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#145 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Dec 6, 2022 2:16 pm

Sure seems like we have a true PG.

How curious.
steefP2
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,679

Post#146 » by steefP2 » Tue Dec 6, 2022 2:47 pm

The Comedian wrote:Sure seems like we have a true PG.

How curious.

I agree, Derrick white has been awesome.

Nah but serious; smart slowly forming into his final form; a weird hybrid of jrue holiday and Kyle Lowry. A real sub all star quality, top 35-50 kinda guy.
Career high in ts (above league average) fueled by a great post game and an improvement from 3 (thank you Ben Sullivan), career high assist% and career low tov%. 3-1 assist/tov ratio and the defense is getting back to all defense level. Not to mention the vintage winning plays and insane versatility.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#147 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Dec 6, 2022 2:52 pm

Love and trust.

PPP among PnR ballhandlers:

Assist %/Assist:Turnover Ratio:

Shooting just above league average. But more importantly complementing the Cs two main scorers.

No longer just "Mr. intangibles" and "Mr. Winning Plays". He's always been underrated on offense. Now that Joe made tweaks to the Cs style of play, Smart is thriving. Always believed he's a good distributor/passer and that the bigger issue is our stagnant offense. The player movement is making Smart look really good. As a connector, he's hitting his cutters on time on target and making the extra pass when applicable.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,399

Post#148 » by Homerclease » Tue Dec 6, 2022 3:23 pm

How curious.

Interesting timing after that 8/0 A/T ratio from Jaylen last night…
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#149 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Dec 6, 2022 3:24 pm

Homerclease wrote:

How curious.

Jaylen is who I was talking about, obviously.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,399

Post#150 » by Homerclease » Tue Dec 6, 2022 3:25 pm

The Comedian wrote:
Homerclease wrote:

How curious.

Somewhere out there, Jacqua is furious about how well Smart has been playing this year
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#151 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Dec 6, 2022 3:26 pm

Homerclease wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
Homerclease wrote:Interesting timing after that 8/0 A/T ratio from Jaylen last night…

Somewhere out there, Jacqua is furious about how well Smart has been playing this year

Probably turned the game off in the second quarter last night.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#152 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Dec 6, 2022 3:35 pm

Smart having a 58% TS is beautiful.

He’s beautiful.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#153 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Dec 8, 2022 11:01 am

Everyone on the list other than Draymond holds the ball longer than Smart. He's also just 5th in usage on the team. Getting job done without dominating the ball.

Now 7th in assists per game behind (future/former) All-Star players and/or 1st/2nd options.

Love this candid quote from him...

Read on Twitter
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#154 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:30 am

Celtics are 49-12 with a point differential of a 74-win team since Smart came back from COVID and professed his love for the team lol.
Read on Twitter
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,194

Post#155 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:44 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Move your butts and Smart will find you.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#156 » by Feed Your Head » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:00 am

This thread lol, so ironic.
philing00
Senior
And1: 200

Post#157 » by philing00 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:42 pm

Smart is all about trying to win.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,434

Post#158 » by Captain_Caveman » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:23 am

Smarthaters got stiffarmed into the Earth like Chandler Jones on Mac Jones.

LOL, so good.

Return to Boston Celtics