ImageImageImage

Shocking Victory! Big Cigar Time vs Bulls 1/15!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Who smokes the big cigar?

Tatum
9%
Brown
4%
ROB
82%
Horf
3%
JRich
No votes
Schroder
No votes
Grant
No votes
Pritchard
No votes
Other/Team
1%

Total votes: 68

31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Re: Shocking Victory! Big Cigar Time vs Bulls 1/15! 

Post#61 » by 31to6 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:47 pm

Shak_Celts wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:
Shak_Celts wrote:PLEASE LET ROB TAKE SHOTS FROM OUTSIDE THE PAINT A LOT MORE!!!! He is so close to being a monster!!! He can still level up even tho he's so good already!

Did he make any tonight??? I only caught the first half , looking for his highlights

i dont think so. he made many sky-touching lob connects, 1 lob he was on the passing end.

I don't know about outside of the paint, but *in* the paint (and baseline), I want jump hooks and, some day, a turnaround jump shot.
I believe.
There's no reason he can't become a more skilled offensive player.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,797

Post#62 » by Larry_Russell » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:20 pm

Ayo is going to be a really special player.

Knew he would be. Everything pointed to it.

Imo, our scouting team is one of the worst in the league outside the knicks
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#63 » by playa-hater » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:25 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:Ayo is going to be a really special player.

Austin Ainge would like a word with you :wavefinger:
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#64 » by playa-hater » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:37 pm

Didn't want to make this post last night, since some were feeling so goody goody after our win. but a win like this is perhaps delays the inevitable. Keeping us near 500% against a very depleted team and a last second victory is only to going to prolong any necessary changes by giving people false hope.

Though some/many can see the light, it minimizes how bad we really are. The absolute worst thing that can happen with Boston (outside major injury to the Js) is to be in the upper lottery or play in tournament. All while not even developing and young talents. Which also compounds their potential trade value. As well as not even truly knowing if they can really play or not.

God forbid we make the 7th or 8 seed and probably delay in firing of absolute "negative asset" in Coach Ime for yet another year next year is Purgatory. and we are headed in that direction Big time.

The Idea that we may throw a ton of future assets to acquire Beal scares me a lot. I feel with some bad luck we may be the LAC of the East for the next half a dozen years.

whatever.. have a nice Sunday.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 8,981

Post#65 » by Bad-Thoma » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:55 pm

playa-hater wrote:Didn't want to make this post last night, since some were feeling so goody goody after our win. but a win like this is perhaps delays the inevitable. Keeping us near 500% against a very depleted team and a last second victory is only to going to prolong any necessary changes by giving people false hope.

Though some/many can see the light, it minimizes how bad we really are. The absolute worst thing that can happen with Boston (outside major injury to the Js) is to be in the upper lottery or play in tournament. All while not even developing and young talents. Which also compounds their potential trade value. As well as not even truly knowing if they can really play or not.

God forbid we make the 7th or 8 seed and probably delay in firing of absolute "negative asset" in Coach Ime for yet another year next year is Purgatory. and we are headed in that direction Big time.

The Idea that we may throw a ton of future assets to acquire Beal scares me a lot. I feel with some bad luck we may be the LAC of the East for the next half a dozen years.

Everybody drink! (I started a drinking game where everyone takes a shot when playa-hater tells us why we can't be happy about a win. We are hammered)
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,052

Post#66 » by Dogen » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:58 pm

There are quite a few players out there that were available when the Celtics picked the last three years. Just in the last two games, we got to see Thybulle, Maxey and now Dosunmu all start and have good games, while Langford, Nesmith and G Williams either languish on the bench, get non-impact rotation minutes, or come in for garbage time.

I wish Danny would have signed on to this board during the drafts and read what people were calling for. We made better picks, collectively. The last time I recall a definitive consensus after a pick was made was Rob Williams. Most of us liked that one.

And Bergarin. There was some buzz that he could be a second round steal. Verdict is still out though.
Hey you! Can we come together?
LuckyLeprechaun
Rookie
And1: 1,333

Post#67 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:58 pm

playa-hater wrote:I am wondering if Rob (VC BTW) isn't the most underrated player in the NBA right now.

Advanced stats love Rob. 19th in PER, 8th in WS/48, 24th in BPM, 25th in VORP and he is the top Celtic in all those categories. The man is definitely underrated and might also have the best veteran contract in the NBA.
Above The Rim
Sophomore
And1: 129

Post#68 » by Above The Rim » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:44 pm

At this point, Rob Williams being placed in a spot making 4 crucial free throws was far more important than a convincing win/ not blowing the lead IMO
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,961

Post#69 » by Shak_Celts » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:51 pm

playa-hater wrote:Didn't want to make this post last night, since some were feeling so goody goody after our win. but a win like this is perhaps delays the inevitable. Keeping us near 500% against a very depleted team and a last second victory is only to going to prolong any necessary changes by giving people false hope.

Playa let me be happy and remain in my delusion!! :lol:

It's not like anyone on here can change the team, it doesn't matter how we look at it, we don't have the power. My happiness and delusion matters just as much as you seeing reality.

Post when you feel the urge, it won't rain on my parade, I for one will still be happy about a win. I was happy when we won the last game of the season when Danny and everyone wanted us to bottom out, we got 6 and chose Smart. People were mad and downing some of us for being happy about it, didn't stop us from celebrating the win.

We all want what's best for the Cs, sometimes the road to get there isn't the same, that's okay. I know all of us will be happy no matter how we get to glory! :D
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#70 » by Half-Full » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:13 pm

RWill smokes it! His game keeps improving. Soon we will be hearing chants of MVP! :nod: Again, IME doesn't go to the bench. Admittedly it was a close game. Grant and Pritchard seeing limited minutes, and Romeo and Nesmith DNP. Just Josh Richardson getting substantial minutes off the bench. I'd like to see a lineup of Pritchard, Nesmith, Romeo, and Grant come in with either RWill or Horford. Give the Jays some rest. This unit will move the ball and play with energy. May even score some points. If things start to unravel, Ime can always sit them back down. Just think the bench is underutilized.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,211

Post#71 » by bisme37 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:14 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,626

Post#72 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:19 pm

Dogen wrote:

There are quite a few players out there that were available when the Celtics picked the last three years. Just in the last two games, we got to see Thybulle, Maxey and now Dosunmu all start and have good games, while Langford, Nesmith and G Williams either languish on the bench, get non-impact rotation minutes, or come in for garbage time.

I wish Danny would have signed on to this board during the drafts and read what people were calling for. We made better picks, collectively. The last time I recall a definitive consensus after a pick was made was Rob Williams. Most of us liked that one.

And Bergarin. There was some buzz that he could be a second round steal. Verdict is still out though.

On the other hand, I was the ONLY person in this forum who predicted the Celtics WOULD draft Rob. And even I thought it would require a trade up to do so.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,211

Post#73 » by bisme37 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:25 pm

I'm still chuckling at how badly Mike G muffed the call at the end of the game. We won it at the buzzer and he says something like, "Foul? Was a foul called? No? We're going to overtime! No wait, Celtics win?"

I guess it was pretty surprising haha.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,621

Post#74 » by Green89 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:31 pm

I said many times last year that Rob should have been on the floor in crunch time. He now proves I was right. We are better to end games with him on the floor. For his defensive presence, and the lob threat. And add clutch free throw shooter, too!
ryan in Maine
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,413

Post#75 » by ryan in Maine » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:17 pm

bisme37 wrote:I'm still chuckling at how badly Mike G muffed the call at the end of the game. We won it at the buzzer and he says something like, "Foul? Was a foul called? No? We're going to overtime! No wait, Celtics win?"

I guess it was pretty surprising haha.

That had to be the biggest fumble of his career lol. From overtime to a foul to surprise at himself calling the game for Boston.

He was still emotional from R Williams' four straight makes. The first two made it look RW had a soft shooting touch so Gorman was probably daydreaming about him stretching the floor. JB with a fast closeout on a good look at a three.

It was a lot of surprise yeah.
Listen to Sinister by CZARFACE @YouTube
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#76 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:22 pm

31to6 wrote:
Shak_Celts wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:
Did he make any tonight??? I only caught the first half , looking for his highlights

i dont think so. he made many sky-touching lob connects, 1 lob he was on the passing end.

I don't know about outside of the paint, but *in* the paint (and baseline), I want jump hooks and, some day, a turnaround jump shot.
I believe.

He doesn’t have it in him.. you can see it with the midrange jumper he’s taken (and made) a few times - it’s slow, deliberate, he gathers himself like he’s got six elbows to line up right .. we’ll be lucky if he adds that. How many big men add any kind of post game, even a bare minimum one, past their early 20s?

The only glimmer of hope is that he’s not stiff - he’s not Gobert. Once in awhile he does something instinctive and fluid when he catches the ball without time to think..
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#77 » by Shak_Celts » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:25 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
31to6 wrote:
Shak_Celts wrote:

I believe.

He doesn’t have it in him.. you can see it with the midrange jumper he’s taken (and made) a few times - it’s slow, deliberate, he gathers himself like he’s got six elbows to line up right .. we’ll be lucky if he adds that. How many big men add any kind of post game, even a bare minimum one, past their early 20s?

The only glimmer of hope is that he’s not stiff - he’s not Gobert. Once in awhile he does something instinctive and fluid when he catches the ball without time to think..

he's not past his early 20s, start now. As a big you can take your time on the windup, most of them do, they are usually wide open. Horford doesn't shoot it that fast either.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#78 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:30 pm

Yeah, slow windup for his jumpshot is fine. He may be able to develop one. But the look of it isn’t promising for any post play
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#79 » by Shak_Celts » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:43 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Yeah, slow windup for his jumpshot is fine. He may be able to develop one. But the look of it isn’t promising for any post play

I'm upset they didn't allow him to take some earlier in his career but there have been a few bigs who expanded their range late in their career, Horford and Banes are two examples. I think Rob has touch, he just isn't coached to take them and try to get better. it could help us so much if he could hit from 15. I'll take hooks too, who could get to that if Rob could do it? I'm thinking no one. Really, he doesn't even have to shoot further out if he mixes in some stuff around the rim. they have him out there like capella and gobert when I think he could be more. he never even tries to post up but Ime will try to force Tat to do it and tried to punk him during olympic practices. why not push rob to try it?
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#80 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:08 pm

Shak_Celts wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:Yeah, slow windup for his jumpshot is fine. He may be able to develop one. But the look of it isn’t promising for any post play

I'm upset they didn't allow him to take some earlier in his career but there have been a few bigs who expanded their range late in their career, Horford and Banes are two examples. I think Rob has touch, he just isn't coached to take them and try to get better. it could help us so much if he could hit from 15. I'll take hooks too, who could get to that if Rob could do it? I'm thinking no one. Really, he doesn't even have to shoot further out if he mixes in some stuff around the rim. they have him out there like capella and gobert when I think he could be more. he never even tries to post up but Ime will try to force Tat to do it and tried to punk him during olympic practices. why not push rob to try it?

I don't know if game reps matter if it's not ready yet. But I love the optimism about his shooting! I feel the same way. Bigs adding a midrange jumper or three pointer hadn't happened until a few years ago and there was a surge when guys discovered they could do it. Horford, Baynes, Brook Lopez, Marc Gasol.. I could see him getting better at the little jump hook putbacks and finishes off assists, too.

Return to Boston Celtics