ImageImageImage

Year-end awards (2022)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,398

Re: Year-end awards (2022) 

Post#41 » by Jaqua92 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:02 pm

The Comedian wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:So I’m amending my all nba 1st team.

Luka
Booker
Tatum
Giannis
Jokic

Looks like Tatum will finish 6th in MVP.
That's an average age of 25.

Crazy. Has first team ever been that young?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Wow I didn’t even think of that, has to be the youngest first team ever.

This league is STACKED with talent lol.
I think the guard is being passed.

Even if Kawhi is healthy, I'd be surprised if he's still a top 5 player.

Harden most definitely isn't a top 10 player, and frankly he may not even be an all-star next year.

Top 10 is going to be filled with a lot of under 28 year olds very soon

Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#42 » by Captain_Caveman » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:52 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:I just hope Smart winning a somewhat narrative driven DPOY doesn't deter voters from giving Rob the much more derseved DPOY awards he will inevitably be deserving of down the line. Would the voters be unwilling to give the award to someone who has a teammate who's won it previously, despite being the best defender on the team?

I sure hope not. Cause Rob is going to be a defensive super star like Rudy.

Best defender on the best defense should be DPOY and first team. And that's Rob.

I just hope you stop offering any opinions about Smart as a player.

You got wrecked, dude.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#43 » by Captain_Caveman » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:56 pm

Live tracker... Tatum looking like 1st Team All-NBA, Smart leading for DPOY. Current votes a bit skewed to Boston-ish voters.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/tzxfuy/oc_2022_mvp_nba_awards_media_vote_tracker/
NuckyPowell
General Manager
And1: 9,657

Post#44 » by NuckyPowell » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:25 pm

When must all the voting be completed?
Jaqua92
RealGM

Post#45 » by Jaqua92 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:31 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:I just hope Smart winning a somewhat narrative driven DPOY doesn't deter voters from giving Rob the much more derseved DPOY awards he will inevitably be deserving of down the line. Would the voters be unwilling to give the award to someone who has a teammate who's won it previously, despite being the best defender on the team?

Best defender on the best defense should be DPOY and first team. And that's Rob.

You got wrecked, dude.
Everything I couldn't stand about Smart, Ime managed to cut out. Feels pretty validsting

Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,625

Post#46 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:33 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:

You got wrecked, dude.
Everything I couldn't stand about Smart, Ime managed to cut out. Feels pretty validsting

For somebody with a bee in his bonnet :D
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#47 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:37 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:

Not a big problem. There's a narrative that Smart's defense is up and down from year to year. That can be exaggerated if need be. Also, Rob is younger than Smart.
Having two DPOYs on the same team would be a first, right?

Other than the 96 Bulls?

Payton and Mourrning teamed up on the Heat.
Jaqua92
RealGM

Post#48 » by Jaqua92 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:08 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:

You got wrecked, dude.

For somebody with a bee in his bonnet :D
Yeah didn't feel like fixing the typo lol

But in all seriousness, I do love this version of Smart. I always felt he would be great if he could stick to what he was good at. But his decision making, at times, would drag his own game down.

The culture shift and the coach change has really seemed to empower him with a sense of accountability. He's embodying a player who has learned discipline, and it's made him a better leader for it.

I think Pre - Ime, Smart was a serious issue, and I'm not backing down from that. But what we have seen out of him these last few months I am happy with it, and as long as he stays in his role, which I think he can within this new culture, I don't want him to go.

Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#49 » by Captain_Caveman » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:08 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:

You got wrecked, dude.

Totally preposterous representation of your takes.

There was no major statistical difference for Smart this year. He's basically the same guy he's always been by the numbers.

What did change? The team was healthy for the first time in forever, and essentially one of the healthiest teams in the league by any possible metric, particularly over the last 2/3rds of the season, the exact moment where we started winning games.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/injured-reserve/cumulative-team/

Smart has been a known quantity for several years now. He is a fierce competitor and well-rounded player whose only real weakness is not being a deadeye shooter. If not for that, we'd be talking right now about which All-NBA Team he'd make this year.

The complaints about Smart have nearly always boiled down to one thing. When the team is missing one or more 20-25ppg All-Star caliber guys, as they were in a large majority of their games all the way from IT getting hurt in that Wiz series through the first 30 or so games of this season, he sometimes tries too hard and forces bad shots while trying to pick up the slack.

It was an aesthetic argument that has not only skewed the perception of his quality as a player, it completely ignores the fact that we won an absurdly higher percentage of those shorthanded games than we had any business doing, including in the playoffs.

Verdict: You ATE IT badly hating on Smart for years like it was your job, and the idea of you trying to somehow take a victory lap on him now is absolutely insane.

Sit down.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,857

Post#50 » by 24istheLAW » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:27 pm

Beyond the fact that Smart is worthy of winning the award, we as fans should all support it happening. The greater his reputation, the more respect he will be given by referees and the greater his value to the Celtics.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#51 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:28 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:

You got wrecked, dude.

There was no major statistical difference for Smart this year. He's basically the same guy he's always been by the numbers.

What did change? The team was healthy for the first time in forever, and essentially one of the healthiest teams in the league by any possible metric, particularly over the last 2/3rds of the season, the exact moment where we started winning games.

Smart has been a known quantity for several years now. He is a fierce competitor and well-rounded player whose only real weakness weakness is not being a deadeye shooter. If not for that, we'd be talking right now about which All-NBA Team he'd make this year.

The complaints about Smart have nearly always boiled down to one thing. When the team is missing one or more 20-25ppg All-Star caliber guys, as they were in a large majority of their games all the way from IT getting hurt in that Wiz series through the first 30 or games of this season, he sometimes tries too hard and forces bad shots while trying to pick up the slack.

It was an aesthetic argument that not only skewed the perception of his quality as a player, it completely ignored the fact that we won an absurdly higher percentage of those shorthanded games than we had any business doing, including in the playoffs.

Verdict: You ATE IT badly hating on Smart for years like it was your job, and the idea of you trying to somehow take a victory lap on him now is absolutely insane.

Sit down.

ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#52 » by ddb » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:55 pm

ddb wrote:
Why Mitchell over Young?

It was close. I guess I just had a really hard time giving Young the nod when factoring in the team being such a disappointment. That paired with the fact that he plays zero defense.

And yet you included LeBron. :)

yeah I know I know. LeBron gets the nod because despite his teams failures it really had nothing to do with him. You put LeBron on Atlanta instead of Trae and the Hawks are a top 3-4 seed in the East. And I HATE LeBron. You know it's true. I think that Lakers roster outside of LeBron & AD (mostly injured) was HORRIBLE!!! Just a bunch of well past their prime diva's mixed with a couple young guys that have never proved anything. Brutal roster construction. Not to mention LeBron has won so much throughout his career that I'm willing to give me a 3rd team nod solely based on stats...so sorta the exception to the rule I suppose.
Jaqua92
RealGM

Post#53 » by Jaqua92 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:43 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:

You got wrecked, dude.

Smart has been a known quantity for several years now. He is a fierce competitor and well-rounded player whose only real weakness is not being a deadeye shooter. If not for that, we'd be talking right now about which All-NBA Team he'd make this year.

The complaints about Smart have nearly always boiled down to one thing. When the team is missing one or more 20-25ppg All-Star caliber guys, as they were in a large majority of their games all the way from IT getting hurt in that Wiz series through the first 30 or games of this season, he sometimes tries too hard and forces bad shots while trying to pick up the slack.

It was an aesthetic argument that not only skewed the perception of his quality as a player, it completely ignored the fact that we won an absurdly higher percentage of those shorthanded games than we had any business doing, including in the playoffs.

Sit down.
I'm not sitting down for no one.

Here's the simple deal Cave. 1. Nothing you can say will change the fact that I hated on his game for years for reasons I feel were justified, and found frustrating. And now I am satisfied with what he's doing now. I'll own both takes. That's not changing.

2. Your issue with me not liking Smart is just that, YOUR issue, enough so to apparently feel the need to tell me off, or invalidate my opinion. Others laughed it off, lived with it, blocked me, and tolerated it. You don't have to feel my take on him is justified, and you don't have to respect me. You however, chose to open up this dialogue to make some point. What are you trying to do? Shame me for my take? Now that Smart is playing consistently well, you finally have the ammunition you need? Seriously? Please.
Stop being concerned with it and quit the BS and bullying over this. Layoff me, let it go, and move on to banner 18. I'm happy with what I see now. Be happy with me.

Thanks.

Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#54 » by Captain_Caveman » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:16 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:Everything I couldn't stand about Smart, Ime managed to cut out. Feels pretty validsting

Sit down.
I'm not sitting down for no one.

Here's the simple deal Cave. 1. Nothing you can say will change the fact that I hated on his game for years for reasons I feel were justified, and found frustrating. And now I am satisfied with what he's doing now. I'll own both takes. That's not changing.

2. Your issue with me not liking Smart is just that, YOUR issue, enough so to apparently feel the need to tell me off, or invalidate my opinion. Others laughed it off, lived with it, blocked me, and tolerated it. You don't have to feel my take on him is justified, and you don't have to respect me. You however, chose to open up this dialogue to make some point. What are you trying to do? Shame me for my take? Now that Smart is playing consistently well, you finally have the ammunition you need? Seriously? Please.
Stop being concerned with it and quit the BS and bullying over this. Layoff me, let it go, and move on to banner 18. I'm happy with what I see now. Be happy with me.

Thanks.

I'm making my case with numbers and real-life results. For a lot of others, it seemingly comes down to not liking that he forced bad shots while the team was down 10 with three minutes in games they were playing without some of their top scorers.

Speaking of real-life results, not only has Smart himself been remarkably consistent for years now, to an only slightly lesser extent, so has the team during his tenure here.

Other than the team being a little healthier than usual, the only thing that has really changed here is how some like yourself are choosing to view Smart as a player.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,155

Post#55 » by Revived » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:48 pm

Triple7 wrote:
Larry_Russell wrote:
NuckyPowell wrote:KOC is doing his part.

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=3Lycc5QW3KoT0nzWHH_6Kg

Perfect selections, imo

Almost perfect.
I would probably move Lebron to 3rd because of the lakers’ standing in the west(11th), and move siakam or derozan to 2nd.

How can LeBron make an all NBA team when Beal didn’t in ‘19-20 season when he was averaging 30 ppg?
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,797

Post#56 » by Larry_Russell » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:52 pm

Revived wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
Larry_Russell wrote:

Perfect selections, imo

Almost perfect.
I would probably move Lebron to 3rd because of the lakers’ standing in the west(11th), and move siakam or derozan to 2nd.

How can LeBron make an all NBA team when Beal didn’t in ‘19-20 season when he was averaging 30 ppg?

Cause lebron is a bitch and nba needs to cater to his chinese overlords?
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#57 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:12 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=p_Cz2ESvmWZLjybmrBaZJw

Jaqua92
RealGM

Post#58 » by Jaqua92 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:23 pm

The Comedian wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=p_Cz2ESvmWZLjybmrBaZJw

I can't justify Embiid over Jokic honestly.

zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,214

Post#59 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:10 pm

I agree with the soon-to-be Finals MVP.
Read on Twitter
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#60 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:26 pm

CotY voting, by coaches

Phoenix Suns coach Monty Williams -- architect of the NBA's best regular-season team -- has been voted the National Basketball Coaches Association Coach of the Year for a second consecutive time.

Among other coaches who received votes: New Orleans' Willie Green, Memphis' Taylor Jenkins, the Clippers' Ty Lue, San Antonio's Gregg Popovich and Miami's Erik Spoelstra, sources said.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33724884/sources-phoenix-suns-monty-williams-voted-top-coach-coaches-association-2nd-straight-year

Return to Boston Celtics